Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

mrcheez wrote: »
    I use it all the time now. Would be nice if they cleared the path of the stones, or added some sandbags for mounting the kerb at the Clontarf end (you can get up on the path from the Raheny end easily enough thanks to the drainage inserts).

But lovely to cycle along there (albeit briefly) in the evenings with the moon shining over the coast.

Heading towards town, where do you have to go back on the road?

Are there signs at either end saying it is still not open or to be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,767 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Going into town I usually go the Howth Road when I head to work, but can take the leisurely slow route home along the coast/roadworks.
    Are there signs at either end saying it is still not open or to be used?

Nope, no signs and the plastic road blocks have been moved to the side indicating that usage is fine or encouraged.

It's only for a couple of minutes of course since it's a short section, but at least it's clear of cars and a chance to try out the new surface.

Just note there are some debris (small stones) left over from the roadworks so ymmv.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

etf6ee.jpg

An idiot trucker posted this on FB today with the tag "Why Motorists hate Cyclists!!!"....
    He must have been closing in on that cyclist pretty rapidly as he's in 11th gear! In my experience, it's pretty difficult to get above 8th or 9th in a sub-urban environment.

He must have been closing in on that cyclist pretty rapidly as he's in 11th gear! In my experience, it's pretty difficult to get above 8th or 9th in a sub-urban environment.

And he has at least one hand off the wheel taking that photo!

(Wouldn't it be great if the photo included the speedo and he was over the limit) :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,569 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure you could post the link to FB on here and let a bunch of cyclists give feedback on the post.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Slightly OT, but is the wall on the left of the picture the wall that all the pretests were about? I mean I was expecting a massive wall but that is only a few feet high.

Was it originally planned to be much higher and reducing on the protests?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but is the wall on the left of the picture the wall that all the pretests were about? I mean I was expecting a massive wall but that is only a few feet high.

Was it originally planned to be much higher and reducing on the protests?

That's the original height. If you look closely you will see a blue line on the wall. They have started cutting away the concrete to reduce the height to the blue line following complaints from drivers that they wouldn't be able to admire the view. :mad::mad:

More about it back a year ago on this thread.

That's the original height. If you look closely you will see a blue line on the wall. They have started cutting away the concrete to reduce the height to the blue line following complaints from drivers that they wouldn't be able to admire the view. :mad::mad:

More about it back a year ago on this thread.

Thanks, I remember all that, it was just when I saw it in the photo I thought that it couldn't be right, I mean it is not exactly the great wall of China. People wasted months arguing about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah, putting a wall in a place that had never flooded from the sea since Bull Island formed, at the wrong height... that's DCC for you :mad::mad:
    People would get :mad::mad: if they started putting walls blocking the views along our globally advertised Wild Atlantic Way... unless they were really, really necessary.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yeah, putting a wall in a place that had never flooded from the sea since Bull Island formed, at the wrong height... that's DCC for you :mad::mad:
    People would get :mad::mad: if they started putting walls blocking the views along our globally advertised Wild Atlantic Way... unless they were really, really necessary.

To be fair if they're having the footpath by the sea then it's irresponsible not to put a wall there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Drivers shouldn't be looking at the sea, they should be focused on the road. People cycling and people walking would have no issue seeing over the wall. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

P_1 wrote: »
    To be fair if they're having the footpath by the sea then it's irresponsible not to put a wall there.

Have you been on to the council about this so?

https://goo.gl/maps/huwxbxip5Gr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

buffalo wrote: »
    Have you been on to the council about this so?

https://goo.gl/maps/huwxbxip5Gr

Deathtrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Drivers shouldn't be looking at the sea, they should be focused on the road. People cycling and people walking would have no issue seeing over the wall. What's the problem?

So should cyclists shouldn't they really?
    I was thinking of car passengers.
    And given that the wall is being built in case that part of Bull Island is subermged in 50 years time, by then we might have driverless, or at least semi-autonomous cars.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

At Mount Prospect. There is no ramp though. You'd have to stop and lift the bike over the kerb onto the road.
    HAre there signs at either end saying it is still not open or to be used?
    Outbound at Dollymount, the only sign is on the barricade blocking the cycle track. No diversion or merging is faciliatated. You have to lift your bike over the small wall and manhandle it onto the road, then cross-over against oncoming traffic in order continue in the left hand lane.

The (road) stretch from Dollymount to Mount Prospect is well surfaced now and includes very nice dedicated, free,-on-street parking, where the original cycle lane was located. So, all those years of residents refusing to leave the cycle lane clear for cyclists has paid off in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Feels wrong not having to dodge potholes anymore. I almost miss the excitement.

Raam wrote: »

Don't worry, the pedestrians, dog leads and cyclists in groups of 4 across will be along shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Don't worry, the pedestrians, dog leads and cyclists in groups of 4 across will be along shortly

Ah yeah, that'll make up for it somewhat. Can't bunny-hop those lot too easy though :D

So should cyclists shouldn't they really?

The wonders of peripheral vision allow you to see both the path *AND* the sea.

Incidentally the road has opened up now... I kinda miss the old tramlines... made cycling that length more "interesting"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,569 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

And given that the wall is being built in case that part of Bull Island is subermged in 50 years time
    isn't bull island still growing?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Are any of the cycle path junctions finished yet? Hopefully they improved the design since the Part 8 planning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

monument wrote: »
    Are any of the cycle path junctions finished yet? Hopefully they improved the design since the Part 8 planning process.

None of them looked finished on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

Moflojo wrote: »
    None of them looked finished on Sunday.
    Junction at Dollymount still barricaded and the only warning is when you actually reach the blockage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

looks like completion has been further pushed out to mid to late March.

http://irishcycle.com/2017/01/12/dublin-bay-cycle-route-opening-likely-delayed-until-march/

the junction design looks pretty sketchy in places, the cycle lane effectively ends at the junctions and restarts again afterwards. they also have the tarmacced stretch of the new lane completely fenced off an inaccessible at the moment so road remains the only option :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The new lane fenced off is grand at the moment. It's not yet ready for use and fencing it off hopefully prevents the likes of this eejit complaining...

looks like completion has been further pushed out to mid to late March.

http://irishcycle.com/2017/01/12/dublin-bay-cycle-route-opening-likely-delayed-until-march/

the junction design looks pretty sketchy in places, the cycle lane effectively ends at the junctions and restarts again afterwards. they also have the tarmacced stretch of the new lane completely fenced off an inaccessible at the moment so road remains the only option :(

Sure we know now the priority was to get traffic moving on the road there, the bike lane is way down on the list.

Not a bother though, cars will just have to get used to bikes on the road. I have noticed drivers giving a wider berth since they put up the chain link fence along the road opposite St Anne's.

Before that went up there was many a punishment overtake by drivers thinking we should be using the "finished" bike lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Raam wrote: »

Its not quite pothole dodging level yet but did anyone else notice that the road surface is becoming very rough already? Mainly on the sea-side of the road.

any sign of this completing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

any sign of this completing?

nope, drove it on sunday to see how far along it is. been avoiding it by bike for a long time now. still a lot of work to be done near both the wooden bridge and the causeway at st annes park.

Advertisement