Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Its not quite pothole dodging level yet but did anyone else notice that the road surface is becoming very rough already? Mainly on the sea-side of the road.

Yep, bit of degradation in a few other places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,767 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

How long has it taken to get the 2km section done, about 8 years now?

Anyone seriously considering the entire S2S will be completed in their lifetimes is in lala land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Raam wrote: »
    Yep, bit of degradation in a few other places too.

Whew!

'was getting worried the new saddle wasn't going to work out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,681 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Had a drive along the route during the week, I would think a month max and it will be all done, I am presuming it will just link up with the existing track after the wooden bridge, tidy up all the compound around St Annes Park and that will be that. I am impressed with it so far and look forward to cycling along it during the summer, my concerns though are some people will park their cars either on the track itself or on the road interferring with cars, I presume Gardaí will be heavy handed policing it to begin with.

I presume Gardaí will be heavy handed policing it to begin with.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I am presuming it will just link up with the existing track after the wooden bridge, tidy up all the compound around St Annes Park and that will be that.

people will park their cars either on the track itself or on the road interfering with cars, I presume Gardaí will be heavy handed policing it to begin with.

Yes, it links up from the pedestrian crossing after the wooden bridge..

I highly doubt anyone would park on that cycle track, if they did I would phone the local Gards and tell them to call a tow-truck!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

mrcheez wrote: »
    How long has it taken to get the 2km section done, about 8 years now?

Anyone seriously considering the entire S2S will be completed in their lifetimes is in lala land.

The water mains laid underneath it have been the major delay due to pressure tests etc.

Budawanny wrote: »
    The water mains laid underneath it have been the major delay due to pressure tests etc.

That's only a recent delay and not the majority contributor to the overall delay

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

That's only a recent delay and not the majority contributor to the overall delay
    Yes and No. I wouldn't necessarily consider optimism on S2S being built in a life time to be foolish, although I thoroughly understand your scepticism . Pressure tests are a recent delay but can There has been a definite albeit unquantifiable delay by the water mains addendum To this project from the start. My opinion is that
    Things have changed in the last 8 years. There are far far more cyclists now and slowly but surely that is trickling up in the political machinations of dublin . Make no mistake. When these things happen linearity tends to go out the window.
    I'm optimistic . When your middle management are wobbling there way around Wicklow in Lycra with the rest of us then You know Dylan was right ,the times they are a changin.

2013: My first post opening this thread (the 2km small section was due to start a few months later after a DECADE of delays)

.. zoom 4 years ahead...

2017: 2km *almost* complete

2021: another 2km done if we're lucky...

OK maybe I was exaggerating a little... it'll probably be done in our lifetimes... we'll get a nice view from the armchair in the retirement home.

Even the website dedicated to the project has given up (last article back in November 2015, apart from a minor article about electric bikes since: http://s2s.ie/news/)

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    Progress is shamefully slow in this country in so many aspects. We really accept mediocre administration from councils and departments far too easily.

Is there ever urgency to complete a project in a sensible timeframe?

They did complete the road-upgrade part of the 2km stretch in record time once construction started. Only about 6 weeks?

Now the staff have dwindled to 5-10% perhaps to work on finishing the bike-path stretch hence why it will probably be May before it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭alentejo

Last I heard was that this would open before the end of March. Another missed deadline from DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Budawanny wrote: »

That water main has still to go from the Causeway to Baldoyle Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Even the website dedicated to the project has given up (last article back in November 2015, apart from a minor article about electric bikes since: http://s2s.ie/news/)

S2S is a small voluntary group that came up with the initial concept of a coastal walking/cycling route around the bay and has been lobbying for this ever since. It was very active last autumn and arranged a number of well attended meetings to explain and discuss the proposed section of the route from Ringsend to Seapoint. It subsequently made a detailed submission to the NTA welcoming the coastal section to Merrion Gates and objecting to the inland Merrion Road section.

I fully agree that the length of time taken to complete the Dollymount gap has been ridiculous and reflects badly on all involved, both in the public and private sectors. Hopefully lessons will be learned - otherwise the much longer southside sections and the East Wall will take forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 UhOhhh

Have the roadworks finished for the cycle track on the coast road in clontarf? Heard it was but cant find any articles on it. Starting to cycle to work from tomorrow so want to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Was out there Paddy's day and it wasn't finished by a long shot

Was out there Paddy's day and it wasn't finished by a long shot

Feck, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

UhOhhh wrote: »
    Have the roadworks finished for the cycle track on the coast road in clontarf? Heard it was but cant find any articles on it. Starting to cycle to work from tomorrow so want to be sure.

yeah i think it's a good while off yet. maybe depends on what level of finish they're planning before opening but right now i'd be saying at least a month.

where you starting / finishing? the howth road through raheny and killester has a really good cycle path most of the way. slightly hillier but also less windy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It really is shocking that it is taking this long. THis is not exactly the most complicated piece of infrastructure ever installed.

Lack of any realistic communication, there doesn't seem to be any timetable.

Anybody involved in this should face some serious questions about how it ended up in such a delayed state.

I'm not saying that the delays are in anyway someones fault, I assume that issues are being faced and dealt with. The problem is that these issues should have been foreseen and the timetable created to take account of them.

It just seems that one deadline passes, then another, and nobody seems to have any real idea of what is going on or when it will be completed

agreed - **** can happen to cause delays but they're lacking any basic communication of expected timelines / cause for delays etc.

our venerable raheny news never even mentions it.

and according to this link, as recently as january it had been scheduled for opening in february.

yeah i think it's a good while off yet. maybe depends on what level of finish they're planning before opening but right now i'd be saying at least a month.

where you starting / finishing? the howth road through raheny and killester has a really good cycle path most of the way. slightly hillier but also less windy :)
    Yeah I used the Howth Road today instead. I really enjoy cycling up the coast though so hoping its finished soon.

Yeah I used the Howth Road today instead. I really enjoy cycling up the coast though so hoping its finished soon.

i'm with you on that and have been waiting for the coast path to open since i moved out that way almost 2 years ago! even though it will slightly lengthen my commute i fully plan to be on the coast path every day once it opens.

The southerly wind we experience 90% of the time means that going into town is best on the Howth Road, and going back along the coast road where the wind can propel you along.

The cycle lane on the Howth Road is immaculate when going into town and a bit pot-holey in a few sections on the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Can't wait for it to finish either... I've no problem cycling Sutton bound but on the way back I always take to the Howth road... at least there's a bit of paint for the cycle lane...

Those mixed pedestrian/bike sections are going to be fun.

Also the unlit bus stop sign right smack in the middle of the track. Thankfully its a quiet stop so unlikely to draw queues.

Curious why they didn't put the bike track on the coast-side rather than the roadside to prevent such issues.

i thought that too - maybe they thought it would confuse people having to switch from coast side to road side at various points along the track, given that existing cycle lane is all road side?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,569 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Curious why they didn't put the bike track on the coast-side rather than the roadside to prevent such issues.
    how do you mean? is the cycle track on the north side of the road? or on the north side of the wall on the south side of the road?
    if that makes sense...

• Advertisement

how do you mean? is the cycle track on the north side of the road? or on the north side of the wall on the south side of the road?
    if that makes sense...

the cycle track is on the coast side of the road way. however it goes road-cycle track-walkway-water.

what i took from what he's saying above is why didn't they make it road-walkway-cycle track-water. that way there should be no crossover for cyclists with bus stops or pedestrians crossing points at junctions, unlike the design that they seem to have gone with.

Advertisement