Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,767 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

i thought that too - maybe they thought it would confuse people having to switch from coast side to road side at various points along the track, given that existing cycle lane is all road side?

I suppose that would explain why they have no bike lane markings on those sections as they couldn't decide how to split it.

Essentially they're saying "up to you here lads! Don't blame us if you get tangled in a dog leash"
    how do you mean? is the cycle track on the north side of the road? or on the north side of the wall on the south side of the road?
    if that makes sense...

The cycle track runs along the pedestrian path hugging the coast wall, but the track is sporadically broken up with unmarked concrete sections where no pedestrian/cycle markings exist, such as at a bus stop which is placed directly in the cyclists path, and zebra crossings.

I was thinking it might have been a better idea to keep all pedestrian traffic beside the road edge to account for people arriving from the other side of the road, waiting at the bus stop or arriving from the zebra crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

mrcheez wrote: »
    I suppose that would explain why they have no bike lane markings on those sections as they couldn't decide how to split it.

Essentially they're saying "up to you here lads! Don't blame us if you get tangled in a dog leash"

as long as they don't go putting up signs telling cyclists to dismount before those shared sections...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I hope they finish the cycle track between Yang's and the causeway as soon as possible. It is downright dangerous at the moment with the mix of cyclists and motorists on the ridiculously narrow stretch of road there. Last Sunday I was heading into town and in the space of one minute I almost had two head-on collisions with idiot car drivers overtaking cyclists coming toward me.

Also, I heard that the cyclepath from the causeway heading north toward Sutton is going to be dug up now to facilitate laying of the water pipe. Anyone got information on this? Is this going to be another six months of road works, with cyclists needing to use the main road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Can anyone tell me why all roadworks in Ireland - or almost all - are so spectacularly slow? (I except, for instance, the resurfacing of Beaver Row, done well and in a flash a few weeks back.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If the cyclelane is scattered with bus stops, pedestrians etc it will become next to useless. Most everyday cyclists will simply stay on the road. And that will actually make things worse as drivers then lash out at any cyclists not using the path since it was put there for them.

• Advertisement

deandean wrote: »
    Also, I heard that the cyclepath from the causeway heading north toward Sutton is going to be dug up now to facilitate laying of the water pipe. Anyone got information on this? Is this going to be another six months of road works, with cyclists needing to use the main road?

I hope not, the best thing about the coming months is cycling that track (on the way to summit-ting Howth I mean!)

Leroy42 wrote: »
    If the cyclelane is scattered with bus stops, pedestrians etc it will become next to useless. Most everyday cyclists will simply stay on the road. And that will actually make things worse as drivers then lash out at any cyclists not using the path since it was put there for them.

indeed, it will look very pretty but be of very little use if that is the case. that section from the wooden bridge to the junction across from the chinese restaurant at the corner of st anne's park looks like it could be very frustrating to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

mrcheez wrote: »
    I hope not, the best thing about the coming months is cycling that track (on the way to summit-ting Howth I mean!)

If the map I saw is correct, that water main will be going to the Baldoyle road junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 UhOhhh

So when they finally finish this section they'll be tearing up the section from dolly mount to Sutton?

hopefully not.

on the subject of delays, the below is fairly amusing...started in may 2015 so running close to 1 year or 100% of estimate late.

"The full scheme is due for completion in July 2016."

irish times story from may 2015

• Advertisement

hopefully not.

on the subject of delays, the below is fairly amusing...started in may 2015 so running close to 1 year or 100% of estimate late.

I'll see your 2015 and raise you 2 years

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/work-to-start-on-dublin-bay-cycle-path-1.1390672

May 13 2013 - "Work to start on Dublin Bay cycle path"

reads like the same article ... except "...should be finished in 2014." ;)

:pac::pac::pac:

ladies and gentlemen, the paper of record.

moving on, this is another reassuring update...

presumably if they're reducing the height of the wall in july/august the cycle path won't be very usable at these times? they're also due to clad the entire wall at some point as i remember a public consultation on preferred cladding at some point.

that clontarf.ie website almost seems to be the most regularly updated source of information on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Leroy42 wrote: »

Generally speaking between the Bull Wall and Watermill Road, the road will be narrower than previously, because essentially the width for the new cycle track has been taken at the expense of the previous road width.

For those who insist on cycling on the road it will exacerbate the situation between drivers and cyclist as the clearances are tight to say the least. To my mind the safest cycling option will definitely be the cycle track in that area - it is protected by a reasonably high kerb from the adjacent road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Until you get tangled up in a dog leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

While trying to steer around the cars parked on the cycle track 'cos the road's too narrow to park on...

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

cdaly_ wrote: »
    While trying to steer around the cars parked on the cycle track 'cos the road's too narrow to park on...

I wish the motorists well in trying to climb the kerb unto the cycletrack in the vicinity of St. Anne's. It will be interesting to see how the weekend parking develops adjacent to the new section nevertheless.

UhOhhh wrote: »
    So when they finally finish this section they'll be tearing up the section from dolly mount to Sutton?

Pipe could go under grass for over half this section but track would be unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Until you get tangled up in a dog leash.

Saw it happen once to a guy I was cycling with.

hopefully not.

cycle track open today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

learn wrote: »
    cycle track open today

Is it bad if I don't believe it until I see it?

• Advertisement

cycle track open today

yer one day early, April 1 is Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

cycle track open today

I wouldn't exactly say it's 'open'.

Passed that way yesterday evening (I stuck to the road) and they have removed the fencing along the section at St Anne's. But that's about it. The cycle track looked like it was still full of debris - it needs a good clean before I'd venture on to it or it would be puncture city.

Also, it starts and ends abruptly. Probably not so much of an issue heading towards town, but if you are outbound it spits you back into the traffic in the middle of the section on the wrong side of the road.

They have removed the hoarding at the Causeway end and that looks like that part is almost ready too.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I cycled in towards town this morning from Baldoyle, its open maybe 200m past the causeway to just before Mount Prospect Avenue, maybe 400m in all and then you have to jump back onto the road before the lights. It was pleasant for a few moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

For those on Twitter, it's worth following @ncpfireland ‏ - the National Cycling Policy Framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Cycled in towards the city along the "opened" section this morning. It needs a good sweeping - lots of small sharp stones. Other than that it's nice and wide and well separated from the footpath. We'll have to see how the bus stops and crossings work out but this section seems good.

It is, however, awkward to get back on the road at the traffic lights so hopefully they'll open up the rest of it soon.

I wish they had removed the hoarding once the entire stretch was complete as now it's going to be punishment-pass central for those who stick to the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'd say the fences blocking the lane were only removed for cleaning, I doubt the lane is actually open, are there offical signs up?

I didn't notice any signage this morning.

I think I'll prefer to use this "sorta open" section before it is officially opened. The road really is quite narrow and the surface is deteriorating already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I didn't notice any signage this morning.

I think I'll prefer to use this "sorta open" section before it is officially opened. The road really is quite narrow and the surface is deteriorating already.

I looked at it. Full of ****. Useless for outbound journey as you are crossing traffic twice.

• Advertisement

Fair enough although I didn't think it was too bad today. It ain't perfect and I agree it's useless for outbound.

Advertisement