Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

:pac::pac::pac:

ladies and gentlemen, the paper of record.

moving on, this is another reassuring update...

presumably if they're reducing the height of the wall in july/august the cycle path won't be very usable at these times? they're also due to clad the entire wall at some point as i remember a public consultation on preferred cladding at some point.

that clontarf.ie website almost seems to be the most regularly updated source of information on it.

further update today saying that there could be up to another 12 months of works required to finish the wall. link here

• Registered Users Posts: 25 UhOhhh

So another €500k and a year to reduce a part of the wall they just built? You couldn't make this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,767 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The article seems to suggest the path will be open to cyclists during this period.

Peppered with debris from the demolition of course.. But open nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Free of any debris today - cycled on it early this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

UhOhhh wrote: »
    So another €500k and a year to reduce a part of the wall they just built? You couldn't make this up.

I read that this could be deferred until next year and by then they should have seen the light and cap it with the rest

• Advertisement

i tried to cycle a bit of the new stretch last week with my son in the bike trailer and then drove past it yesterday and had another look.

the section from the wooden bridge up to st annes is a bit all over the shop imo. it's a lovely surface to be fair, which gives way pretty quickly to a concrete section for pedestrians then goes back to tarmac, nice and wide, then narrows and turns for the bus stop at the rebuilt tram shelter where there'll be a bus stop on one side of the cycle lane and a tram / bus shelter on the other side. so pedestrians are guaranteed to be crossing the cycle lane here any time a bus stops.

then just before you get to st annes the lane ends again for a pedestrian crossing before you'll finally get a clear run as far as the causeway! seems like a lot of interruptions in such a short stretch of a new dedicated cycle lane.

i tried to cycle a bit of the new stretch last week with my son in the bike trailer and then drove past it yesterday and had another look.

the section from the wooden bridge up to st annes is a bit all over the shop imo. it's a lovely surface to be fair, which gives way pretty quickly to a concrete section for pedestrians then goes back to tarmac, nice and wide, then narrows and turns for the bus stop at the rebuilt tram shelter where there'll be a bus stop on one side of the cycle lane and a tram / bus shelter on the other side. so pedestrians are guaranteed to be crossing the cycle lane here any time a bus stops.

then just before you get to st annes the lane ends again for a pedestrian crossing before you'll finally get a clear run as far as the causeway! seems like a lot of interruptions in such a short stretch of a new dedicated cycle lane.

I spotted someone jogging on it yesterday. It's already started!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm a bit concerned about the Wooden Bridge end. There are traffic lights for the road and, alongside them, currently covered up are more traffic lights (presumably for the cycle track). I'm guessing these will be red most of the time and will only change for bicycles when the road lights change to red. Gonna be a bunch of left-hook conflicts there. Luckily there's an exit to Seafield road just 50 metres back from the lights so it'll be a merge with the cars ahead of the lights before returning to the cycle track at the bridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

the section from the wooden bridge up to st annes is a bit all over the shop imo...

...so pedestrians are guaranteed to be crossing the cycle lane here any time a bus stops.

...the lane ends again for a pedestrian crossing before you'll finally get a clear run as far as the causeway! seems like a lot of interruptions in such a short stretch of a new dedicated cycle lane.
    mrcheez wrote: »
    I spotted someone jogging on it yesterday. It's already started!
    The article seems to suggest the path will be open to cyclists during this period...

...Peppered with debris from the demolition of course.. But open nonetheless

I cant help but to think that the expectations for this Cycleway is a bit extreme...if there is debris on the ground just go around it...if there is a pedestrian in your way; reduce speed, ping the bell and go around them...if there is a "break in the lane" just asses your surroundings and proceed if safe to do so...

How pedantic can you be when it comes to a cycle lane? There is no such thing as pleasing everyone but its a damn good improvement to what was there previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Roadhawk wrote: »
    I cant help but to think that the expectations for this Cycleway is a bit extreme...if there is debris on the ground just go around it...if there is a pedestrian in your way; reduce speed, ping the bell and go around them...if there is a "break in the lane" just asses your surroundings and proceed if safe to do so...

How pedantic can you be when it comes to a cycle lane? There is no such thing as pleasing everyone but its a damn good improvement to what was there previously.

If you built a motorway and put a bus stop on it, what do you think the reaction would be? A dedicated cycleway should not have pedestrians in it by design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Of course it is. But why would we settle for a bad job when it could so easily be a good job.
    We possibly want value for our road tax. :p

if you look at the rest of the cycleway from clontarf to sutton - other than the overlap of the bumpers of parked cars onto the cycle path at clontarf village it serves its purpose very well.

this new section has been under construction for over 2 years - for a 2km stretch and was years in the planning before that. imo it's not really unreasonable to expect it to be both well thought out and constructed.

buffalo wrote: »
    If you built a motorway and put a bus stop on it, what do you think the reaction would be? A dedicated cycleway should not have pedestrians in it by design.

Ok i understand your direction but Motorways have their flaws as well...adding an extra lane to the M50 being an example.

I also just randomly had a look at a cycle superhighway in London and found a bus stop right on the cycle route? Not sure of the logic behind it but maybe its convenient for some people?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.5234536,0.0688304,3a,48.7y,77.59h,83.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj__fsaMTmcsFdYOVt05YFQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Ok i understand your direction but Motorways have their flaws as well...adding an extra lane to the M50 being an example.

I also just randomly had a look at a cycle superhighway in London and found a bus stop right on the cycle route? Not sure of the logic behind it but maybe its convenient for some people?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.5234536,0.0688304,3a,48.7y,77.59h,83.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj__fsaMTmcsFdYOVt05YFQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

not ideal - now imagine that the bus stop sign remained in its current location and the bus shelter was over by the railings with the cycle path running between them. even less ideal again!

Of course it is. But why would we settle for a bad job when it could so easily be a good job.
    We possibly want value for our road tax. :p

You see, it is a good job...maybe not a perfect job but it is good. My point is that if there is a tiny flaw at any point along the cycleway then there's always one who points it out. Then the rest of the possie jumps on the band wagon...before long the whole project is labelled a failure and nobody uses it because its "unsafe"...

If you want value for your road tax then drive. :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Roadhawk will be serving a short ban. No need to respond to their posts further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A few photos from this morning:

eg4gg4.jpg

2m6mm3l.jpg

i2vnyu.jpg

Thought I was going to be able to stay on the cycleway but ended up back on the road a few times. I was told by a few workmen that it's due to be open from 5th May. We'll see but it should be great when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Can't imagine it'll all be ready by May 5th but here's hoping. There's a few parts which might be dodgy enough but all in all it's very much welcomed. Late spins when there's less walkers will be a joy.

Thought I was going to be able to stay on the cycleway but ended up back on the road a few times. I was told by a few workmen that it's due to be open from 5th May. We'll see but it should be great when it happens.

I posted this back in March.. thinking it was going to be an exaggeration as I fully expected it to be done by end of April *LATEST*...
    Now the staff have dwindled to 5-10% perhaps to work on finishing the bike-path stretch hence why it will probably be May before it opens.

No way it will be done by 5th of May... I'll eat my bike if it is.

Sure there's shedloads left to do around the causeway section, we're looking at late June here before it's complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

No way it will be done by 5th of May... I'll eat my bike if it is.

I hope you like aluminium. I was out there yesterday and wouldn't be surprised if it's finished by next weekend. The final surface has been laid at both ends, seems like just some tidying-up work left to do.

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/858418915021639680

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

But how will drivers see the views with all those cyclists in the way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cyclists are requested not to wear hi-vis on that cycle track so they will be invisible to motorists, so as to not spoil their view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Does the blue line on the wall in the video indicate the revised height of the wall and the parts above the blue line will be reduced at a later date to appease the lobby group.

cunavalos wrote: »
    Does the blue line on the wall in the video indicate the revised height of the wall and the parts above the blue line will be reduced at a later date to appease the lobby group.

Probably, you see later on in the video the wall is set at a height where the blue line is showing previously. Obviously the new height was chosen when this section was built.

Anyway, I don't intend on munching on my saddle by the 5th. They'll find some way of delaying it and I'm not touching the route until there's a run all the way from Wooden bridge through to the Causeway... until then I'm sticking to the road.

they've already dug up a narrow bit of the new track near the tram shelter and replaced with tarmac that sits above the height of the main surface :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

they've already dug up a narrow bit of the new track near the tram shelter and replaced with tarmac that sits above the height of the main surface :mad:
    Just as well really, we were nearly out of things to complain about on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Trying to quote a tweet with a video - may or may not work:

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/859345256374050816

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Probably, you see later on in the video the wall is set at a height where the blue line is showing previously. Obviously the new height was chosen when this section was built.

I can't see how a wall to the height of the blue line doesn't constitute a trip hazard. I foresee a claim or two...

Could paint it with hi-viz of course.

buffalo wrote: »
    I can't see how a wall to the height of the blue line doesn't constitute a trip hazard. I foresee a claim or two...

Could paint it with hi-viz of course.

Not to mention it will be too low for the oul wans to sit on

• Advertisement

cunavalos wrote: »

Could be the water height for when it floods ;)

Advertisement