Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Chuchote wrote: »
    Trying to quote a tweet with a video - may or may not work:

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/859345256374050816

You may be one with nature when out for a cycle but in this clip the metal boxes are moving much faster...where has the traffic gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Roadhawk wrote: »
    You may be one with nature when out for a cycle but in this clip the metal boxes are moving much faster...where has the traffic gone?

Probably a case of it being a non-school day and the kids didn't have to be dropped 500m to school. I doubt it was actually today otherwise they are extremely efficient in editing it and uploading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It's a pity that there isn't a ramp opposite 360 Cycles. So many were coming off the track to go into it on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Roadhawk wrote: »

Just for Roadhawk ;)

(CVD is heart disease)

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39641122

C92FkJBXoAApSXC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

10am on a Friday? When pretty much all of the commuters and probably most of the leisure cyclists are in work. Suppose that means we can't throw things at the Lord Mayor...

s2s2_invite.gif
    Thursday, May 4, 2017
    Seafront Clontarf
    All Dublin Cycling Campaign members are invited to attend the official opening of the new 2.2km cycle path link between the Wooden Bridge at Clontarf and the Bull Island Causeway opposite St Annes Park. The official opening takes place on Friday 5th May at 10am - see attached graphic for details. There will be a light reception afterwards in Moloughneys of Vernon Avenue!

Social Event
    Help us do more for cycling in Dublin, please consider getting involved.

http://www.dublincycling.ie/events/s2s-clontarf-opening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

mrcheez wrote: »

No way it will be done by 5th of May... I'll eat my bike if it is.
    buffalo wrote: »
    Launch invitation for 5th May

Michel-Lotito-eating-bicycle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,767 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Michel-Lotito-eating-bicycle.jpg

Pass the Tabasco :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Moflojo wrote: »
    I hope you like aluminium. I was out there yesterday and wouldn't be surprised if it's finished by next weekend.

Just. Sayin'.

Gonna be a mad busy week for the guys working there so, ****loads left to do when I ran the stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

yeah i suspect that some work might be ongoing after it's officially opened, just hopefully not impacting on the path itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Probably a case of it being a non-school day and the kids didn't have to be dropped 500m to school. I doubt it was actually today otherwise they are extremely efficient in editing it and uploading it.

Date on the video (bottom left corner) shows it as Tuesday 2nd May 2017. Maybe more people are cycling this route leading to less cars on the road ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

yeah i suspect that some work might be ongoing after it's officially opened, just hopefully not impacting on the path itself.

From cycling it earlier today, I'd say the main outstanding bits will be on the existing cyclepath both at the causeway and particularly the bridge.

The official invite has this lovely advice:
    "While we can reserve 1 car parking space for the Lord Mayor, with Garda assistance, we are recommending arriving on foot to the launch point at the Tram Shelter on the Clontarf Road for 10 a.m. due to very limited parking in the immediate vicinity."
    No mention of arriving by bike of course 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

......"While we can reserve 1 car parking space for the Lord Mayor, with Garda assistance, we are recommending arriving on foot to the launch point at the Tram Shelter on the Clontarf Road for 10 a.m. due to very limited parking in the immediate vicinity."
    No mention of arriving by bike of course 😳
    Jesus, you couldn't make it up! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Used the new path this morning commuting in to work. Looks they were busy tidying up yesterday in preparation for the launch with just the fencing at each end of the new bit to be removed and they are good to go.

I know there are a few bits of the route that "aren't ideal" (the junctions at Causeway and wooden bridge and some of the mixed ped/bike bits for example) but overall it's a big improvement and a welcome addition. Was great not having to unclip once between Sutton and East Wall Road!

The tailwind was also a joy, however I might go home via Howth Road as the headwind on the return journey will be a pig! :p

Used the new path this morning commuting in to work. Looks they were busy tidying up yesterday in preparation for the launch with just the fencing at each end of the new bit to be removed and they are good to go.

I know there are a few bits of the route that "aren't ideal" (the junctions at Causeway and wooden bridge and some of the mixed ped/bike bits for example) but overall it's a big improvement and a welcome addition. Was great not having to unclip once between Sutton and East Wall Road!

The tailwind was also a joy, however I might go home via Howth Road as the headwind on the return journey will be a pig! :p

i thought the exact same about this evening! i joined it at the causeway and it was such a pleasure being on the new path with a strong tailwind :D

i was passing the tram shelter at 10 past 9 and they had the entire path blocked off either side of it to set up for proceedings. my previous grumbling about the bus stops etc aside it will be brilliant to finally have it open :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Where is the tram shelter?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Where is the tram shelter?

pretty close to Bay restaurant if i remember correctly, not too far from the wooden bridge end of the new cycleway. they've laid a short stretch of tram tracks beside it for effect - i think it may have had a preservation order against it so they were supposed to take it down and rebuild exactly as it was...

A few pics of the unfinished bits taken yesterday eve / this morn from Causeway through to Wooden bridge...

Causeway end:

416458.jpg

416460.jpg

416461.jpg

Wooden bridge end:

416462.jpg

416459.jpg

So still not quite "finished by 5th May", but getting there.

This was playing on my iPod while I cycled the stretch @ 45 kph with the wind behind me and sun shining... just sorta suited the ambience

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/missing-link-in-dublin-bay-cycle-path-opens-in-clontarf-1.3072654
    A key phase of the Dublin Bay cycle path on the northside was opened on Friday morning.

Nope. As I passed this morning I saw all of the above as mrcheez highlighted. Plus a large truck parked in the middle of the cycle lane near the north bull wall.

But sure don't let that get in the way of a press release.

Oh and bonus points for the woman walking on the new cycle track with a footpath two steps to the left.

I'm still gonna feast on the bike, mmmm leather....

• Advertisement

2pzy2di.jpg

The Lord Mayor about to set out on his cycle to the Tram Shed.

dwzwvq.jpg

Nearly there.

jigj9d.jpg

Speeches

qrjhif.jpg

Snip.

2z7kax5.jpg

The unofficial opening of the Causeway end!

It's great (with the wind on your back)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dwzwvq.jpg

Nearly there.
    did no-one think of dropping a shopping bag in that basket for the photo opportunity?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and that's a very dark suit. i hope he survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

did no-one think of dropping a shopping bag in that basket for the photo opportunity?

I was just thinking the guy on the right needs a grown-up to show him how to wear his helment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Everyone's a critic :P

Shur the glint of the gold chain would take the eye out of yer head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Is the livery collar not considered hi-viz?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

So its open but its not actually open?

mathie wrote: »
    So its open but its not actually open?

i'll confirm later on following a horror commute home into that headwind :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Official opening of the S2S in Clontarf this morning.

Advertisement