Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

So I just went through and they've opened the lot all the way through to the causeway. Section at wooden bridge now open.

Still have the section to Sutton to complete but otherwise its a clear run for 99℅ of it.

Here's hoping it's not just for today and the barriers remain down while the planting/wall work is done.

(Incidentally it's 4 years 2 months to the day when I started this thread...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Deedsie wrote: »
    What would most likely be the next section of the Sutton to Sandycove route that could be completed? Merrion Gates will surely be the last bit?

Logically, the next section should be the East Wall as far as the Point as there are big wide footpaths that very few people use. DCC seem more focused on Fairview to Amiens Street even though it was never part of S2S.

On the southside, Strand Road to Merrion Gates should be a lot more straightforward than the mix of on-road, parks, CPOs etc between there and Seapoint. The planned increase in Dart frequency should ensure that the Merrion Gates bypass, and hopefully the underpass, happen before too long. The current situation on this is that the NTA are considering submissions received following their consultation document last autumn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mrcheez wrote: »
    (Incidentally it's 4 years 2 months to the day when I started this thread...)
    ah here, don't blame yourself!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

onwards and upwards - is there a count kept of cyclists crossing each of the liffey bridges? is the east link overrepresented in the stats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Logically, the next section should be the East Wall as far as the Point as there are big wide footpaths that very few people use. DCC seem more focused on Fairview to Amiens Street even though it was never part of S2S.

On the southside, Strand Road to Merrion Gates should be a lot more straightforward than the mix of on-road, parks, CPOs etc between there and Seapoint. The planned increase in Dart frequency should ensure that the Merrion Gates bypass, and hopefully the underpass, happen before too long. The current situation on this is that the NTA are considering submissions received following their consultation document last autumn.

Fairview to Amiens Street would be great for people wanting to get into the centre of town, though.

What have they now decided to do on Strand Road? And why should there be any on-road, apart from a quick dash across Blackrock Dart station and around the corner to Seapoint? Surely the rest will be along metals beside railway tracks, and as you say along the back of Blackrock Park. And there's another lot of metals to Dun Laoghaire. Or are they considered too narrow, or are they too dedicated to walking, to be part of a formal cycle track?

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Fairview to Amiens Street would be great for people wanting to get into the centre of town, though.

What have they now decided to do on Strand Road? And why should there be any on-road, apart from a quick dash across Blackrock Dart station and around the corner to Seapoint? Surely the rest will be along metals beside railway tracks, and as you say along the back of Blackrock Park. And there's another lot of metals to Dun Laoghaire. Or are they considered too narrow, or are they too dedicated to walking, to be part of a formal cycle track?

My problem is with DCC selling the North Strand route as part of S2S and ignoring for years the East Wall section of S2S.

If you check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057651544 there's lot of detail about the proposed southside route there. Now that I think of it, you actually posted there!

My problem is with DCC selling the North Strand route as part of S2S and ignoring for years the East Wall section of S2S.

If you check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057651544 there's lot of detail about the proposed southside route there. Now that I think of it, you actually posted there!

Tis true, but I was lazily assuming that the question of whether to loop around behind the bird sanctuary (baaaad) or compromise with the raging cars on the road beside Seamus Heaney's gaff (baaaad) had been sorted out.

i'm becoming familiar with the easternmost end of the liffey crossing recently. my cycle - thankfully - for the most part is a reasonable affair. but crossing the east link is not something i'd suggest to a nervous cyclist. do i remember a suggestion of a new bridge for cyclists and pedestrians?

i'm becoming familiar with the easternmost end of the liffey crossing recently. my cycle - thankfully - for the most part is a reasonable affair. but crossing the east link is not something i'd suggest to a nervous cyclist. do i remember a suggestion of a new bridge for cyclists and pedestrians?

You do. Or else we're sharing a delusion…

No, we're not

http://irishcycle.com/2017/03/29/funding-approved-for-new-dublin-docklands-bridge/
    FUNDING APPROVED FOR NEW DUBLIN DOCKLANDS BRIDGE
    MARCH 29, 2017 CIAN GINTY
    Funding for a new €31.5m walking, cycling and public transport bridge across the mouth of the River Dodder was approved yesterday by the Government.

Although there’s no confirmed route for the S2S Dublin Bay walking and cycling route in this area, the location of the bridge is part of a past outline proposal for the S2S route.

The bridge will link the south Docklands area directly with Ringsend by linking Britain Quay on the south quays with York Street in Ringsend. [I think this should probably be York Road.] The long-planned bridge is aimed to serve as part of a bus route between the city centre and a new residential area at the former Irish Glass Bottle site.

Britain Quay to York Road wouldn't cross the Liffey, though, just the Grand Canal Basin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I can't believe the cost of things these days. 31.5m for that small bridge! Wow. Everyone involved must be taking the pee.

• Advertisement

Britain Quay to York Road wouldn't cross the Liffey, though, just the Grand Canal Basin.
    i'm struggling to understand the benefit of this.

Two new Liffey bridges that would have served cyclists were shelved last year as well as other cycle routes such as the Phibsboro to Ashbourne path by the Royal Canal. DCC initially blamed the Dept of Transport for cutting funds and then staff shortages due to the Luas works. The Dodder bridge that is going ahead will provide a south quay connection to the S2S at some point.
    There have been a number of suggestions that the East Link bridge could have a cantilevered cycle path added on but I don't know if it has been seriously examined by the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

buffalo wrote: »
    I was just thinking the guy on the right needs a grown-up to show him how to wear his helment.

At least he's made the effort to wear one as per RSA advice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it allows more movement between Poolbeg and the city centre for pedestrians, cyclists and public transport. Considering the ongoing development in the GCD area and the proposed building of 3.5k homes in Poolbeg, I think it will be of huge benefit given the current traffic woes on Pearse Street.

Edit: Probably no benefit in relation to S2S, though.

PaulieC wrote: »
    it allows more movement between Poolbeg and the city centre for pedestrians, cyclists and public transport. Considering the ongoing development in the GCD area and the proposed building of 3.5k homes in Poolbeg, I think it will be of huge benefit given the current traffic woes on Pearse Street.

Edit: Probably no benefit in relation to S2S, though.

Poolbag plan is bleeding insane (imho) - with sea rises likely from climate change, Dublin proceeds to put in thousands of homes at the first place to suffer :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Britain Quay to York Road wouldn't cross the Liffey, though, just the Grand Canal Basin.
    Presumably to allow cyclists to access York Rd without dismounting and carrying the bike across the water gates at the mouth of the Grand Canal Basin and without using the Ringsend Bridge.

Poolbag plan is bleeding insane (imho) - with sea rises likely from climate change, Dublin proceeds to put in thousands of homes at the first place to suffer :eek:

I think that sea levels are probably not going to be the issue here - 3.5k houses on a badly served peninsula surrounded by many dirty industries, a couple of generating stations, an incinerator and a wastewater treatment plant...who wouldn't want to live there ??

I think that sea levels are probably not going to be the issue here - 3.5k houses on a badly served peninsula surrounded by many dirty industries, a couple of generating stations, an incinerator and a wastewater treatment plant...who wouldn't want to live there ??

I'm reckoning on having a beachfront home in Harold's Cross - though if the 'Gulf Stream' (forget what the proper name is - Atlantic Conveyor Belt?) reverses or ceases, it won't be a pleasant swimming spot.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/climate-change-will-ireland-s-coastal-cities-and-towns-be-under-water-1.2457216

http://flood.firetree.net/

i'm grand, safe up to 50m. my wife is not too keen on my idea of calling the house 'sea view'.

i'm grand, safe up to 50m. my wife is not too keen on my idea of calling the house 'sea view'.

Radharc na Mara :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Well I'm well fupped with just a few metres rise. Although it would give me a new front door and my balcony would be my private jetty. I could even get a pedalo boat.

Well I'm well fupped with just a few metres rise. Although it would give me a new front door and my balcony would be my private jetty. I could even get a pedalo boat.

Feck cycling, you could windsurf to work!

i'm grand, safe up to 50m....
    Only 9 meters for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Only 9 meters for me!

20m for me. I guess the would solve the problem of transport on the north quays so global warming has that going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,681 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think they need to install some of those wheel stops for cars along the carpark opposite Clontarf church, there's a huge amount of cars that back in and overhang on to the northbound lane...

Car-Stops-04.jpg

Whatever about how long it took to do and all the traffic disruption caused, the finished product is pretty fantastic. Out to Howth and back this morning in glorious sunshine with the wind gone was brilliant. Was pretty quiet at 8:00AM, but I'd imagine it will get pretty busy during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Whatever about how long it took to do and all the traffic disruption caused, the finished product is pretty fantastic. Out to Howth and back this morning in glorious sunshine with the wind gone was brilliant. Was pretty quiet at 8:00AM, but I'd imagine it will get pretty busy during the day.

yep, was on the old stretch just now on my way back home from howth and it was teeming with people!

I think they need to install some of those wheel stops for cars along the carpark opposite Clontarf church, there's a huge amount of cars that back in and overhang on to the northbound lane...
    Whatever about the overhang of the car body, it's particularly annoying when it exacerbated by a fitted rear bike rack. You'd imagine cyclists would know better!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Bit sh1t that you currently have to work your way through a mini-building site to get from the old section onto the new and vice-versa, along with the causeway road with no additional speed ramps or cyclist priority road markings at that point...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Bit sh1t that you currently have to work your way through a mini-building site to get from the old section onto the new and vice-versa, along with the causeway road with no additional speed ramps or cyclist priority road markings at that point...:o

yeah i'm really hoping that they finish this properly, preferably with some sort of marked crossing point with priority given to cyclists. we could be hoping for too much though :eek:

Advertisement