Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

yeah i'm really hoping that they finish this properly, preferably with some sort of marked crossing point with priority given to cyclists. we could be hoping for too much though :eek:

There's a raised and narrow section a little further up from where you'd cross the road by bike.. someone read the plans wrong! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I've been using this the past few days since the official opening.

I really like being separated from the traffic along St Annes - not having to cross the road twice is also a big bonus. Surface is very good and, in the main , the bus stops look manageable with good visibility all around. If people wait along the wall or in the tram shelter, there should be very few problems.

Of course there'll be the usual messing about with dogs, joggers etc but I'm not get overly bothered about that.

Bottom Line : i

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So the existing lane on the seafront past Dublin Bus Garage remains the same up until the Wooden bridge?

Then the new lane is a two way on the sea side which goes down to Bull Wall?

Is it a continuous bike lane throughout the new section or is there a stop or crossover along the stretch?

Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So the existing lane on the seafront past Dublin Bus Garage remains the same up until the Wooden bridge? Yes

Then the new lane is a two way on the sea side which goes down to Bull Wall? Yes

Is it a continuous bike lane throughout the new section or is there a stop or crossover along the stretch? Continuous

Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Is it a continuous bike lane throughout the new section or is there a stop or crossover along the stretch?

You do have two points though (at the two bull walls) where you have to cross the road (not the main coast road but the roads out to the island)

I'm guessing you adhere to the pedestrian lights at the south bull wall?
    The traffic lights at the north bull wall are a bit away from where the track will go over the road. I assume cyclists have to yield to road traffic at that point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Just to be aware there are three breaks in the new section of cycle track at the end of Seafield Road, Dollymount Avenue and Mount Prospect Avenue similar to the existing break at the end of Vernon Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Speaking of dogs, got an earful from a dog walker last night, dog crossed into my path on the cycle lane and I clipped it. I was lucky not to wipe out. Somehow it was my fault...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Out there today, great facility.

Purchase a bike bell for pedestrians.

Was out on it today as well

It really is a great addition. Very lucky to live in an area which such an amenity.

Kudos to all those involved

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so who has the strava KOM on the new section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Was out on it today as well

It really is a great addition. Very lucky to live in an area which such an amenity.

Kudos to all those involved

agreed. while my view on the potential for better design around junctions & bus stops hasn't changed i am hugely grateful that i now have access to this amenity.

i only join at the causeway on my way into town but that now means 6km + seperated from the road on my way into work :D and it helps massively that the weather has been really good since it's opened (wind aside).

also - don't know if it's a boardsie or not but a guy passed me on the cycleway on my way in this morning, wearing black & red dhb tights and with a hi-viz cover on his backpack. said a very cheery good morning as he passed - actually brought a smile to my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Whatever about the overhang of the car body, it's particularly annoying when it exacerbated by a fitted rear bike rack. You'd imagine cyclists would know better!

Hah! I've bike-cam video of some muppet who parked backed up, with an empty, black, bike rack covering almost half the lane, at dusk - I would have been clotheslined. I dismantled it and left it on their bonnet for safety. Found It; - JzoreM0m.jpg

I relocated to the northside to take advantage of it, and have now settled in the area, partly so my family can cycle into Dublin safely

there was some headwind coming in on it this morning, which didn't cheer me when a drain clearing truck was blocking the entire path at one point :mad:

for anyone interested in general progress etc, the below are best read in order.

http://www.clontarf.ie/news/cba-statement-re-official-opening-of-s2s-cycleway-in-clontarf
    http://www.clontarf.ie/news/important-information-from-cra-s2s-works
    http://www.clontarf.ie/news/important-information-from-cra-on-s2s-works
    http://www.clontarf.ie/news/important-information-from-cra-on-s2s-works-part-2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

So... Is it done yet? Fully I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

There is still 'something' going on at the junction of Mount Pleasant Ave. It means it (and the pedestrian path) is only the width of one bike which makes for interesting games of chicken. The rest is done as far as I remember and a pleasure to commute on esp in the mornings. There is already a ~1ft strip dug up across it and badly replaced (like all road works it seems) between Mt Pleasant and the wooden bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Doeshedare wrote: »
    a pleasure to commute on esp in the mornings.

Probably depends if you work city or north Dublin. For me the southerly wind can go **** for all I care. Howth road city-wards in the morn, then wind propelled journey home northwards in the evenings along the coast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Before it opened I tended to use it city-wards (and on to the southside) and then Howth Rd homewards but then there was a lot of easterlies about.

Anyway when I say pleasure I was considering the bike traffic rather than the wind. In the early morning its pretty empty and therefore easy to negotiate. On the way home its been busier with more of a mix of abilities on it. At the weekends its...its...great to see everyone out!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Why does that new road surface beside cycle track have to be ripped up and redone ?

learn wrote: »
    Why does that new road surface beside cycle track have to be ripped up and redone ?

Because..stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I wish they'd all learn to keep to their lanes. Some serious fair-weather drifters and wobblers out there today.

Great job though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

learn wrote: »

I suspect it was a temporary surface for the duration of the works as the machinery would damage it. It was certainly in bad condition at the entrance to the works compound after less than a year.

i think it was just poorly done tbh. check out the links to the clontarf.ie site on the prior page, they go into it in a bit of detail.

saw a video yesterday of cars driving the length of the cycle path in order to avoid floods outside st annes park :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Taken from Dublin Cycling Campaign Facebook page:eek:

18739773_10158729892325052_5619190253204138012_n.jpg?oh=0006bccace8969da22580380f3706240&oe=59BCD607

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

DominoDub wrote: »
    Taken from Dublin Cycling Campaign Facebook page:eek:

The road looks okay in that photo, maybe the flood is out of sight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

markpb wrote: »
    The road looks okay in that photo, maybe the flood is out of sight?

That still wouldn't make it ok to drive on the cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

That still wouldn't make it ok to drive on the cycle track.

I was being somewhat facetious :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Was it flooded because the wall is too low? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Is anyone any good at patents? It should be possible to patent a road surface that would sink under two tons of weight, revealing sharp spikes that would rip up the tyres, while lighter weights could cycle safely along on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Was it flooded because the wall is too low? :p

No, because the council didn't build a flood wall on the park side because they were afraid of affecting motorists' views of the park.*

* yes, I know, things like a decent storm drain / storm water retention / etc is what is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'm not even half surprised that some gimp was driving his/her car on that, I wouldn't be surprised to see parked vehicles on it either, such is the stupidity/ignorance of a lot of motorists..

In fairness I have passed some bicycle Gards along that path a couple of times, shame they weren't there to catch this clown!

The council need to put up plastic hi-vis bollards all along the kerb to prevent incidents like this!

Advertisement