Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

buffalo wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that - the significance of the road and route is important. If you are on a main road, you should not have to cede priority to a side road. That is what is happening here - the cycle path is a main route, and shouldn't have to cede priority for a more minor access route.

What he said ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Moflojo wrote: »
    Secondly, the Wooden Bridge is a dead end. People driving across it are only driving to the beach to go for a walk, go for a swim, or some other form of leisure activity.
    Private gold club's needs do not supersede S2S users either.

So cyclists needs are more important than walkers, swimmers and golfers? Is there anyone above us on the food chain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

If you look at the map of Dublin you'll be astonished at the amount of land that's taken up by private golf clubs. A terrible use of green space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Chuchote wrote: »
    If you look at the map of Dublin you'll be astonished at the amount of land that's taken up by private golf clubs. A terrible use of green space.

Either golf courses of housing estates, I'm happier to see the former, and that's from someone who doesn't play golf. They're also the habitats of a great deal of the city's flaura and fauna. I'm all for keeping the green belts. Not sure how profitable a golf course is, probably not a whole lot given the number that have gone out of business, but they'll either be golf courses or get concreted over. The state won't be stepping in to buy them and keep them as recreational green areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Shedite27 wrote: »
    So cyclists needs are more important than walkers, swimmers and golfers? Is there anyone above us on the food chain?

If the people are driving in their private motor vehicles to get to the location where they will be walking, swimming, or golfing then yes, cyclists have priority over them.

If people are walking to the walk/swim/golf location then they, as pedestrians, have priority over cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭alentejo

If there is a long wait for cyclists for a green light at the wooden bridge, then ultimately the majority of cyclists will brake these lights. I sometimes think poor traffic light sequences are partly to blame for poor cyclist behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

alentejo wrote: »
    If there is a long wait for cyclists for a green light at the wooden bridge, then ultimately the majority of cyclists will brake these lights. I sometimes think poor traffic light sequences are partly to blame for poor cyclist behaviour.

If it's partly to blame I don't see it being the primary cause. I regularly see cyclists breaking red lights even though their flow through the junction has the highest amount of time allocated (i.e. as the light is green for them and other vehicles). I guarantee you, even if highest priority was allocated at the Wooden Bridge to the cycleway, you'll see cyclists breaking that light. (Ditto for cars and RLJing).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Given that it is stated to be quite a minor junction (just going on the comments above), are lights really necessary at all? Why not just have a yield sign for vehicular traffic? Would allow bike and car traffic to flow much more smoothly.

It seems to work quite well at other intersections, for example the car parks up towards the clontarf end of the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Agreed, unless a car is actively approaching that junction (or visibility is blocked so u can't ascertain if a car is approaching) then there is little reason to stop there on the cycle lane.

Why didnt they just do the Stop signs they have on the Phoenix Park cycle lane which work fine?

Also I wish people that do want to stop at those lights stick to the LHS so as not to block the path .

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Given that it is stated to be quite a minor junction (just going on the comments above), are lights really necessary at all? Why not just have a yield sign for vehicular traffic? Would allow bike and car traffic to flow much more smoothly.

It seems to work quite well at other intersections, for example the car parks up towards the clontarf end of the cycle lane.

If you are coming from the beach side, then the lights are definitely needed.
    Similarly for pedestrians crossing the road to get to the houses and shops on the other side.

I'm not a cyclist but I wouldn't blame any cyclist for breaking those lights, whilst being careful doing so.

Some signage is needed around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What, I mean how, but why?....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A "professional" driver too, idiot, he should have his PSV licence taken off him for a month. Great advert for MyTaxi. Why do people block the reg when there's 100% clear law being broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Taxi driver! Hardly surprising considering the amount of contempt that these drivers have for other road users, especially cyclists!

I'd have this pic saved on my phone for the next Pee rick in a taxi that beeps at me for not using a cycle path!

Did anyone actually stop to question him about why he was there?!?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Taxi driver! Hardly surprising considering the amount of contempt that these drivers have for other road users, especially cyclists!

I'd have this pic saved on my phone for the next Pee rick in a taxi that beeps at me for not using a cycle path!

On the Morning Ireland piece this morning they were interviewing 2 American tourists. When asked what they found worse in Irish roads, they replied taxi drivers.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Did anyone actually stop to question him about why he was there?!?

All you'll get from the likes of that would be a face full of abuse!

I'd of called Clontarf station and see if they would send someone up...

All you'll get from the likes of that would be a face full of abuse!

I'd of called Clontarf station and see if they would send someone up...

Well like I would have spoken to him in a reasoned tone, if I got abuse I would have called the gardai and waited at the car until they arrived.

Sod being late for work, this is the priority :)

Someone needs to have a ramp stashed somewhere the other side of the wall, drag it out for such occasions and cycle your way over the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cyclists should have went around his car and blocked him until the Gardai arrived :D

• Advertisement

Well like I would have spoken to him in a reasoned tone

Have you ever found that to work with Taxi drivers?

Have you ever found that to work with Taxi drivers?

Yeah.. it infuriates them :)

Yeah.. it infuriates them :)

Should have sent CycleDub over to have a chat with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

it's good that the picture of the taxi driver will bring attention to this problem but for anyone who uses this cycleway regularly you'll know that work vans etc are constantly blocking at least part of the cycle lane.

this morning on my way in the van was parked on the cycle lane and footpath, with about a metre of space between the van and the kerb. as i was approaching the van one of the workers decided to walk by the side of the van with his back to me, without checking to see if there happened to be a cyclist approaching on the cycle lane.

this is still my favourite though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Someone needs to have a ramp stashed somewhere the other side of the wall, drag it out for such occasions and cycle your way over the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ See 1:56, 1:59, 2:07 and especially 2:50.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

alentejo wrote: »

There isn't really, about half a minute today from pushing the button to the green man/bicycle appearing.

Timed it today - 20 seconds.

Again today with heavy traffic on the main Clontarf Road and Bull Wall:

1 minute in the City direction - 1.5 minutes in the Howth direction.

The majority of cyclists didn't wait for the green bicycle/man and one car ran the red light exiting the Bull Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

some people just want to watch the world burn
    2rcsyed.jpg

• Advertisement

some people just want to watch the world burn
    2rcsyed.jpg

Could be he was pulling up to have a shmoke, or peer over the edge of the wall :)

Advertisement