Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The thing cost a good few million and they can't afford a teenager on minimum wage to sit there for a few hours a day?
    i suspect a lifeguard costs less than the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    So where's the 250 car parking spots for this new pub going to be?

A good question. It’s hard to park there at the moment and it hasn’t even opened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    So where's the 250 car parking spots for this new pub going to be?

I presume they'll take away the bollards and those nasty poles blocking access to the cycle track and there'll be no problem with parking...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I presume they'll take away the bollards and those nasty poles blocking access to the cycle track and there'll be no problem with parking...

they had 3 of them gone when I passed this morning, presumably they'll all have to come out alright. however I'd say there's parking for no more than 20 cars in there, using both sides of the roadway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

22 cars. Easily space for two at the cycle lane entrances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, looks like this is only the start of it: https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/966628954768662528

mtp3kz.png

Technically that’s marked as the end. Pricks parking there though.

Baths section look to be a bit off completion. At least the restaurant will be ready next week though!

ZR7B4sl.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not at the famed section of high wall - but still...

https://twitter.com/barrykenny/status/969544911161786368

No sign of the cycle path in his video, which would be untouched by the flooding!
    The floodplain seems to be handling the water just fine.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    No sign of the cycle path in his video, which would be untouched by the flooding!
    The floodplain seems to be handling the water just fine.

yeah there was no sign of flooding on any stretch of the cycle path that I was on this morning alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

yeah there was no sign of flooding on any stretch of the cycle path that I was on this morning alright.

Is it clear? Thinking of doing a night spin on it tomorrow night if so.

How are they going to measure the speed cyclists are travelling on the route?

Just some disgruntled local that doesn't like bikes complaining to the council regardless if they saw a fast bike or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

All the things mentioned highlights failures in the design by Dublin City Council. It’s not just issues for pedestrians, it’s issues for cyclists too. Anyone with half a brain would have foreseen the issues.

mrcheez wrote: »
    How are they going to measure the speed cyclists are travelling on the route?

Just some disgruntled local that doesn't like bikes complaining to the council regardless if they saw a fast bike or no?

well given that it seems like they got an engineering firm in to conduct a review, it sounds like more than that.

as I've said on many other things shared here in the past though, it's the language that gets me. "speeding cyclists" in the headline is pure clickbait and they very much relegate the dangerous parking of work vehicles to a secondary concern, along with pedestrians walking blindly onto the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Given the RSA's response to things like the minimum distance passing law, I would presume the answer to speeding cyclists is that education and awareness is all that's needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I see they're already testing such a measure out on the Alfie Byrne Road section...

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/971833862321041409

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

The cycle path contains a number of hazards with risks for all its users along its length well commented on earlier in this thread. These risks increase with more users for example on arrival of the summer evenings.

The path is crying out for monitoring and upgrading including better signage and markings at risk points. Some speed limiting is not unreasonable. Bear in mind the speed capability of modern bikes, including e bikes, that use the path.

The recent improvements at the Sheds have been a great upgrade step, and implementing the ideas mentioned in the link would add further to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Anyone know what the orange things are on the cycle path opposite St. Anne's Park?
    Was driving by there yesterday and they caught my eye.

• Advertisement

Searchers wrote: »
    The cycle path contains a number of hazards with risks for all its users along its length well commented on earlier in this thread. These risks increase with more users for example on arrival of the summer evenings.

The path is crying out for monitoring and upgrading including better signage and markings at risk points. Some speed limiting is not unreasonable. Bear in mind the speed capability of modern bikes, including e bikes, that use the path.

The recent improvements at the Sheds have been a great upgrade step, and implementing the ideas mentioned in the link would add further to that.

If they put down new signs could they make sure they aren't right smack in the middle of the lane?

The number of times I've had as close call with one of those poles. The path is narrow enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

If they put down new signs could they make sure they aren't right smack in the middle of the lane?

The number of times I've had as close call with one of those poles. The path is narrow enough.

Overhead gantry signs? Could you imagine!

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

Granolite wrote: »
    Overhead gantry signs? Could you imagine!

Or signs stuck in the wide open green area to the side of the path?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

lambayire wrote: »
    Anyone know what the orange things are on the cycle path opposite St. Anne's Park?
    Was driving by there yesterday and they caught my eye.

Life rings

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Or signs stuck in the wide open green area to the side of the path?

I wasn't being smart or obtuse, it should stand to reason that people be considerate and aware of their surroundings and of other's around them as things stand. More signs and clutter in whatever format they come in will surely fix things for good.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Doesn't help when some numpty locks their bike to the poles either.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

It would be very disappointing if they put ramps or kissing gates on the northside bike path as there is on the Grand Canal one. I hope they don't do it. But yes we should cycle on it at a sensible speed. What would people think about a limit 25kph? 30?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

A few lights from the causeway up to sutton would be nice to be able to see the ninja cyclists & pedestrians before a last second swerve

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

LennoxR wrote: »
    It would be very disappointing if they put ramps or kissing gates on the northside bike path as there is on the Grand Canal one. I hope they don't do it. But yes we should cycle on it at a sensible speed. What would people think about a limit 25kph? 30?

What would be the point? Who would enforce it? Even if AGS took a load of meth, went crazy, then decided to do some enforcement their guns would have a very hard time getting a strong fix from a cyclist head/tail on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

ED E wrote: »
    What would be the point? Who would enforce it? Even if AGS took a load of meth, went crazy, then decided to do some enforcement their guns would have a very hard time getting a strong fix from a cyclist head/tail on.
    Some of the automatic radar speed signs dotted around the place are able to detect cyclists. Attach a camera to one and we'd nearly have an ANPR, all we'd need is the NP part... :pac:

Advertisement