Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Some of the automatic radar speed signs dotted around the place are able to detect cyclists. Attach a camera to one and we'd nearly have an ANPR, all we'd need is the NP part... :pac:

You could have doors that automatically close if you are too fast. Or arrows that shoot out of the oversized wall. I think this would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Raam wrote: »
    You could have doors that automatically close if you are too fast. Or arrows that shoot out of the oversized wall. I think this would work.
    I was thinking of retractable spikes with a nearby puncture repair kit vending machine (€40/kit), but your arrows sound more fun. Blast the Indiana Jones theme to warn speeders of the impending arrows, add in a boulder chase or two for sprint training.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They do realise that if they put in these measures they are simply going to force the cyclists back onto the road.

There is a positive here. Think of it as forced sprint training.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Do bicycles or cars have priority at the entrance to the swimming baths?
    It's super dodgy at the moment with 2 way bike traffic and cars coming from either direction.

Heading out of town last night, a car also heading out of town pulled across just behind me. I saw similar happen to someone else going the opposite direction earlier.

Then there are cars coming out and the zero visibility of them because of the way they are all parked.

I really dislike the section and it should've better thought out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It will take a serious accident before any permanent rules are implemented here unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

site_owner wrote: »
    Do bicycles or cars have priority at the entrance to the swimming baths?
    It's super dodgy at the moment with 2 way bike traffic and cars coming from either direction.

Heading out of town last night, a car also heading out of town pulled across just behind me. I saw similar happen to someone else going the opposite direction earlier.

Then there are cars coming out and the zero visibility of them because of the way they are all parked.

I really dislike the section and it should've better thought out

The cycleway ends and there are signposts to that effect. See around 3.30 mins on the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

railer201 wrote: »
    The cycleway ends and there are signposts to that effect. See around 3.30 mins on the video.

There is no indication that bikes have to stop. Actually the opposite could be said as there is text notifying of bikes for cars going in and out of the baths.

There is no indication that bikes have to stop. Actually the opposite could be said as there is text notifying of bikes for cars going in and out of the baths.

Yes, Stop or Yield signs for cars wouldn't go astray - however those signs indicate the End of the cycleway and at least dual use at those points. Incidentally, any car parking heretofore was unofficial and minimal, courtesy of a broken bollard or two and this would explain why there are no Yield or Stop signs. Now the ball game has changed and will rapidly become an issue as car drivers will have two streams of traffic to contend with entering/exiting the bath's car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I see they've added a couple of orange bollards at the entrance/exit to the Clontarf Baths to deter people from parking across the cycle path access.
    Could do with some double-yellow lines to go with it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

dYogYxn.jpg

I can’t imagine those bollards lasting long. Solid concrete ones are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I can’t imagine those bollards lasting long. Solid concrete ones are needed.

and they could have just recycled the ones they'd lifted out of the ground 10 feet away!

at least it's an attempt, I was pleasantly surprised to see them this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

In addition to signs indicating that the cycle tracks ends, there are stop signs at the crossing into the car parks near the bus depot. Maybe a similar arrangement might help. The only problem is that at the car parks, it is possible for vehicles to pull in off the road, stop, and then cross the cycle track. This isn't possible at the baths unless the cycle path is diverted say 5-7m left of its current location.

At least the visibility would be good at the baths unlike at the bus depot.

The tram shelter (shown above) is another accident waiting to happen as passengers tend to step out of the shelter, without looking to their left, when the bus is approaching the stop. Today an electric bike whizzed past the stop doing about 25 mph. Sooner or later, I fear.........:(

The tram shelter (shown above) is another accident waiting to happen as passengers tend to step out of the shelter, without looking to their left, when the bus is approaching the stop. Today an electric bike whizzed past the stop doing about 25 mph. Sooner or later, I fear.........:(

when I hear things like the above, I can't help but think...
    look-son-an-idiot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/clontarf-baths-may-breach-planning-rules-1.3434191

Might not need to worry about people accessing the site for too much longer...
    Dublin City Council is investigating whether Mr Cullen may be in breach of his planning permission for failing to open the pool, while running his restaurant.

Today an electric bike whizzed past the stop doing about 25 mph. Sooner or later, I fear.........:(

Fake news. Electric bikes can only travel in kph.

buffalo wrote: »
    Might need to worry about people accessing the site for too much longer...

A spokeswoman for the council said it was investigating whether the facility was now an “unauthorised development”.

Much like all those unauthorised development Starbucks that have been operating, literally, for years without being shut down.

Edit: Just finished the article. Regarding insurance, “We have gone out to the market, but it hasn’t gone as we hoped and we have yet to get an insurance quote.”
    So they just don't want to open the pool. Clearly they had no issues with finding money for any other part of the development.

Effects wrote: »
    A spokeswoman for the council said it was investigating whether the facility was now an “unauthorised development”.

Much like all those unauthorised development Starbucks that have been operating, literally, for years without being shut down.

Edit: Just finished the article. Regarding insurance, “We have gone out to the market, but it hasn’t gone as we hoped and we have yet to get an insurance quote.”
    So they just don't want to open the pool. Clearly they had no issues with finding money for any other part of the development.

a few weeks ago it was all about the cost of lifeguards, insurance wasn't mentioned once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

a few weeks ago it was all about the cost of lifeguards, insurance wasn't mentioned once.

oh right, I thought groups had to bring their own lifeguard or some nonsense?

Are they going to have a part-time lifeguard there?

mrcheez wrote: »
    oh right, I thought groups had to bring their own lifeguard or some nonsense?

Are they going to have a part-time lifeguard there?

what I read a few weeks ago (or what I remember from it) was that the cost of employing a lifeguard was prohibitive and they were looking for help in funding this. I understood from it that clubs who would use the pool would provide their own lifeguard and I guess now in hindsight their own public liability insurance also. I'll have a read back later and see if I just conveniently ignored some other references to insurance at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I was reading recently that heating of the pool was going to cost too much and that insurance was a major issue. They were hoping to get around the insurance issue to allowing only clubs use it to start, which had their own insurance and lifeguards. This has run into an issue with the residents assoc who are claiming that it was meant for public use and as such clubs only does not meet that criteria.

The insurance is a strange one. Surely you know beforehand that it will be required, and I cannot see how it would that much different than a public pool. It is as if they are only thinking of it now.

Also the issue of parking. How many tables are there in the restaurant, and couple that with the swimming pool. The bit in front won't be enough so what is the plan? There doesn't seem to be any.

It seems they are trying to do as little as possible but bring in as much money as possible.

What's the food like?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I was reading recently that heating of the pool was going to cost too much and that insurance was a major issue. They were hoping to get around the insurance issue to allowing only clubs use it to start, which had their own insurance and lifeguards. This has run into an issue with the residents assoc who are claiming that it was meant for public use and as such clubs only does not meet that criteria.

The insurance is a strange one. Surely you know beforehand that it will be required, and I cannot see how it would that much different than a public pool. It is as if they are only thinking of it now.

Also the issue of parking. How many tables are there in the restaurant, and couple that with the swimming pool. The bit in front won't be enough so what is the plan? There doesn't seem to be any.

yes, and the same with the cost of having lifeguards there. surely in the planning phase all of these things were considered? I wouldn't be surprised, given that the development overran by 6 months, if the money that was earmarked for the pool related costs was used instead to fund the completion of the bar & restaurant.

I also think that parking will become a huge issue once it's fully up and running. the restaurant seats 250 or so!

I also think that parking will become a huge issue once it's fully up and running. the restaurant seats 250 or so!

The council should close the carpark and encourage cycling to the restaurant. It is on the best stretch of cycle track in the city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

The council should close the carpark and encourage cycling to the restaurant. It is on the best stretch of cycle track in the city :D

I walked past the new restaurant on bank holiday Monday and it was was locked up in middle of afternoon. I could be wrong but I didn't see any evidence of bike 'parking' / locking facilities. Another oversight / own goal on behalf of the Developer?

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Drove by it on Friday night and the parking on the opposite side of Clontarf Road is dangerous, forcing cars across the white line to get around them. The whole thing seems very badly designed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

they did not plan obvious stuff like insurance, lifeguard, or heating........., they just cared about the restaurant.....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/clontarf-baths-to-open-in-september-following-2m-restaurant-and-bar-upgrade-35954563.html

Mr Cullen told the court that the water would be maintained at a high level of filtration and cleanliness and while swimming in the open air pool would be at natural environmental temperatures there would be a water heating facility. The company had not yet decided on what basis or when the sea water would be warmed up.

Advertisement