Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Effects wrote: »
    Fake news. Electric bikes can only travel in kph.

Zoomed past me again about an hour ago, in the Howth direction - estimated 48 kph today. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

There's definitely one lad who is absolutely pegging it down the cycle lane at around 5.30 most evenings.
    I was driving by the wooden bridge with a clear run and he was easily keeping up with me.
    I reckon he was easily doing 50kph

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

lambayire wrote: »
    There's definitely one lad who is absolutely pegging it down the cycle lane at around 5.30 most evenings.
    I was driving by the wooden bridge with a clear run and he was easily keeping up with me.
    I reckon he was easily doing 50kph

Cyclists need to be aware of this guy or guys if there's more than one. You're correct in suggesting the speed might be in excess 50 kph. Any collision with this 'electric' cyclist could be a serious one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

railer201 wrote: »
    Cyclists need to be aware of this guy or guys if there's more than one. You're correct in suggesting the speed might be in excess 50 kph. Any collision with this 'electric' cyclist could be a serious one.

Thank you for your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Thank you for your concern.

Will you motor-pace me in to work some day?

motorpacing.jpg

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Will you motor-pace me in to work some day?

motorpacing.jpg

Only if I can drive on the cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

E-bikes are a curse. And I don't want to hear this 'one less car' stuff either. Cars don't usually enter off road bike lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

LennoxR wrote: »
    E-bikes are a curse. And I don't want to hear this 'one less car' stuff either. Cars don't usually enter off road bike lanes.

on what basis - if they're legal they won't exceed 25km/h. OK the bikes themselves are heavier, but a fat guy on a hybrid would be heavier than a woman on a road bike so there's a fair bit of variation already anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Been passed out at 25kph by ebike riders a few times on that cycle lane..

Do I want them banned? No...
    Do I think Ebike's are a curse? No, they are the future..brings loads more people onto 2 wheels, even if it's with the aid of a motor...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

A good few exceed 25 kmh - the one mentioned above appears soundlessly on your shoulder at 40 kmh+. The cyclist/rider is well able and seems responsible to be fair to him but it's a powerful machine to have on the same track as puttering grannies, joggers, wandering dogs etc.

Btw, I don't think they're a curse either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

I know a couple of people got them unlimited which will allow the higher end models to go up to 50 kph.
    The "problem" is that then the bikes components are not designed for hammered along at 50kph all the time.
    So in one case ( a 3000+ eur Cube electric mtb) the hub was shot after 2 months.
    the brakes were starting to give up the ghost. Not sure of the details. I am only relaying what the users said.

User A himself had 2 fairly serious accidents in the 2 months,
    and has now as far as i can see given it up all together.

loyatemu wrote: »
    on what basis - if they're legal they won't exceed 25km/h. OK the bikes themselves are heavier, but a fat guy on a hybrid would be heavier than a woman on a road bike so there's a fair bit of variation already anyway.

There is a young gentleman using the bike lanes near me on an e mountain bike who is going well above that every days on paths shared with pedestrians etc.

I absolutely hate the things personally. They go against everything cycling is about for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If they're chipped then ask your local gardai to stop him, same as driving a car with no documents/licence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect the local gardai wouldn't know how to proceed. how do you prove it was chipped? they probably don't have anyone with experience of following up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

do they not input a different wheel circumference to fool the motor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

They go against everything cycling is about for me.

Apart from the sport usage, cycling is essentially a way of getting from A to B using a narrow-width apparatus that can squeeze between traffic or go on routes where cars/motorbikes cannot.

Sounds like e-bikes fit the bill perfectly.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Apart from the sport usage, cycling is essentially a way of getting from A to B using a narrow-width apparatus that can squeeze between traffic or go on routes where cars/motorbikes cannot.

Sounds like e-bikes fit the bill perfectly.

Using human power and not a motor.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Legal electric bicycles required human power — they don’t move when there’s no human power.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the more people on them, the better it is for all cyclists.

the more people on them, the better it is for all cyclists.

I very strongly disagree. But I'll leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Paradicia

There is a young gentleman using the bike lanes near me on an e mountain bike who is going well above that every days on paths shared with pedestrians etc.

I absolutely hate the things personally. They go against everything cycling is about for me.

You'd swear he was breaking the law. Just because he's going faster than you doesn't mean he's in the wrong. Any street legal ebike is pedelec so it still requires cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Paradicia wrote: »
    You'd swear he was breaking the law. Just because he's going faster than you doesn't mean he's in the wrong. Any street legal ebike is pedelec so it still requires cycling.

There is an issue with detection of chipped pedelecs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Not everyone is capable of applying the required human power of a standard bike over longer distances (elderly or infirm etc) .. nor does everyone want to get sweaty cycling to work, but still want to avail of the benefits of cycling.

Are you suggesting these people would be better off using polluting transport instead?

Paradicia wrote: »

I don't care at all if he's going faster than me. I do care that he's endangering people by going at least 35 kph (probably more) in areas shared with pedestrians. It's not what cycle paths are designed for.

Also, such machines are supposed to be capped at 25kph. So in fact it is not legal.

I don't care at all if he's going faster than me. I do care that he's endangering people by going at least 35 kph (probably more) in areas shared with pedestrians. It's not what cycle paths are designed for.

Also, such machines are supposed to be capped at 25kph. So in fact it is not legal.

Have you reported these illegal ebikes to the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sure with a decent tailwind anyone can hit that speed on a road bike on that path without much effort.

P_1 wrote: »
    Sure with a decent tailwind anyone can hit that speed on a road bike on that path without much effort.

The same point applies, you just shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Cycled the new section of the S2C path today, full of dirt/gravel, probably still there after the snow, DCC not bothered to send a street sweeper down the path..
    Though same along the cycle path to Churchtown, covered in small stones...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Cycled the new section of the S2C path today, full of dirt/gravel, probably still there after the snow, DCC not bothered to send a street sweeper down the path..
    Though same along the cycle path to Churchtown, covered in small stones...
    must got worse in last two days, cycled there Monday to Wednesday without noticing anything unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

marvin42 wrote: »
    must got worse in last two days, cycled there Monday to Wednesday without noticing anything unusual.

I cycled it Thursady, Friday and this morning in both directions and didn't notice it being bad either.

I passed by the baths at lunchtime today though and saw just how unaware of approaching cyclists the motorists going in and out of there are.

Advertisement