Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Seems to be a lot more tiny stones along the track between St.Annes and Bull Island causeway..

That new restaurant pub area is a disaster, how long can it stay like that before repair work is done to safely facilitate all the extra traffic?

2vm8tcl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Damn that place must be good. I did pass by it once and got the smell of French Fries, but nothing particularly amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

mrcheez wrote: »
    Damn that place must be good. I did pass by it once and got the smell of French Fries, but nothing particularly amazing.

Probably more to do with locals wanting to be able to say they are there and being too lazy for a short walk to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That new restaurant pub area is a disaster, how long can it stay like that before repair work is done to safely facilitate all the extra traffic?

What's the planning permission say about parking? They don't seem to mind breaking PP clauses in other areas so I doubt they care about parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 StabiloBoss

Just a quick word on the new restaurant: be very careful passing by. The cars are crossing the cycle lane to get back out onto the road. I stood and watched it for 10 minutes on Saturday with my hands in front of my face. Cars coming out intending to turn right seemed to have no clue there were bikes coming from the left. I saw 2 near misses in the 10 minutes. To be fair to the cars, I think from their perspective they are missing the track entirely and intending to come to a stop at edge of road. Just so happens that means they are coming straight onto track without looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I wonder would speed bumps bordering the bike lane (I.e. running in parallel) be a solution here?

So that cars are forced to approach exit slowly.

mrcheez wrote: »
    I wonder would speed bumps bordering the bike lane (I.e. running in parallel) be a solution here?

So that cars are forced to approach exit slowly.

I don't think speed was the problem, just total lack of visibility. Bikes moving pretty quick along there so a car's nose appearing basically out of nowhere can cause havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I think something has to be done alright, speed bumps, a raised crossing point for cyclists (so basically an extended speed bump), painted yellow boxes, highly visible signage, flashing lights akin to a level crossing, something more than what they have anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't think speed was the problem, just total lack of visibility. Bikes moving pretty quick along there so a car's nose appearing basically out of nowhere can cause havoc.

When you say lack of visibility, do you mean lack of observation?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Probably more to do with locals wanting to be able to say they are there and being too lazy for a short walk to it.

Come off it, you have absolutely no idea whether what you are saying is true.

If you have some way to tell which cars are local and which aren't, we're all ears.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    When you say lack of visibility, do you mean lack of observation?

Little from Column A, Little from Column B, to be honest. Hard to see, but good observation would get you there. Don't see any harm in helping everyone out though: encourage observation, and make it easier to do so.

It was being pedantic, but the point stands. At that point, visibility (on a normal day) is not an issue. It is lack of observation. The car driving simply did not observe the cycle lane. To state visibility would suggest that there is an issue with it.

On a different point, I do think that the cycle lane actually stops on the 'road' part. Who has the right of way (and as such who should be prepared to stop before entering the space)?

For quite a distance on either side their is a dedicated cycle lane, free from any traffic. It seems crazy to simply throw in this 'road' section with little warning and it would be fairly usual to assume that the cycle lane continues as before.

It was being pedantic, but the point stands. At that point, visibility (on a normal day) is not an issue. It is lack of observation. The car driving simply did not observe the cycle lane. To state visibility would suggest that there is an issue with it.

On a different point, I do think that the cycle lane actually stops on the 'road' part. Who has the right of way (and as such who should be prepared to stop before entering the space)?

For quite a distance on either side their is a dedicated cycle lane, free from any traffic. It seems crazy to simply throw in this 'road' section with little warning and it would be fairly usual to assume that the cycle lane continues as before.

Carpark was packed on Saturday, I personally don't think there was a clear view to the lane.

Why not make it clearer and easier for the drivers? Who loses in that situation?

I don't know, maybe I have a different perspective: I'm a newly-qualified driver myself and I was looking at this carpark exit thinking to myself that I was really glad I'd seen it in operation before ever driving it myself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It probably depends too on the signage on the cycle lane. Does the lane stop/start again at the entrance. Or are there yield signs on the lane or on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I see the Pro Life campaign parked a truck as close as they can to the bike lane (just up to the orange hazards that stop people parking across the bike lane)
    It was Mattress Mick last week.

Carpark was packed on Saturday, I personally don't think there was a clear view to the lane.

Why not make it clearer and easier for the drivers? Who loses in that situation?

I don't know, maybe I have a different perspective: I'm a newly-qualified driver myself and I was looking at this carpark exit thinking to myself that I was really glad I'd seen it in operation before ever driving it myself.

I have no issue with increasing signage, painting lines, flashing lights etc.

Your post said it was visibility, I was merely making the point that visibility is not really the issue, rather that the car drivers are not paying attention to what they can see.

As I said, its a pedantic, although I happen to think, quite an important distinction. It follows on from the usual refrain of "He came out of nowhere" that is trotted out.

But I do agree that some signs should be put up. Certainly as you enter/leave there should be signs to warn the drivers of the possible cyclists. The restaurant can play its part too. It should have something on the door leaving the establishment to remind the car owners of their responsibilities.

To simply go from having very little car pass through to now a full carpark and DCC having done nothing in terms of the quite easily foreseen issues is crazy.

The cycle path from Alfie Byrne to Sutton is an amazing amenity and plenty of money has been spent on it. To allow a single business to create such potential problems is crazy. In reality, they shouldn't be allowed to use that section for parking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It probably depends too on the signage on the cycle lane. Does the lane stop/start again at the entrance. Or are there yield signs on the lane or on the road?

Yeah I presume the cycle lane stops there just like it does for the car parkes up by the Yacht club

I have no issue with increasing signage, painting lines, flashing lights etc.

Your post said it was visibility, I was merely making the point that visibility is not really the issue, rather that the car drivers are not paying attention to what they can see.

As I said, its a pedantic, although I happen to think, quite an important distinction. It follows on from the usual refrain of "He came out of nowhere" that is trotted out.

But I do agree that some signs should be put up. Certainly as you enter/leave there should be signs to warn the drivers of the possible cyclists. The restaurant can play its part too. It should have something on the door leaving the establishment to remind the car owners of their responsibilities.

To simply go from having very little car pass through to now a full carpark and DCC having done nothing in terms of the quite easily foreseen issues is crazy.

The cycle path from Alfie Byrne to Sutton is an amazing amenity and plenty of money has been spent on it. To allow a single business to create such potential problems is crazy. In reality, they shouldn't be allowed to use that section for parking

surely there would at least be an onus on the business to fund the improvement of the roadway, better signage etc? this is fairly stanadard afaik. like, they've ripped out some of the concrete bollards and just left ugly holes. they dug up part of the road that the cycle lane crosses and left it in very rough condition too. I'm very much hoping that it's still way off its final state at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Come off it, you have absolutely no idea whether what you are saying is true.

If you have some way to tell which cars are local and which aren't, we're all ears.

I know the way most people are in Ireland when it comes to driving short distances. Many won’t even walk 200m. I think my assumption is a fair one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fattymoon

I know the way most people are in Ireland when it comes to driving short distances. Many won’t even walk 200m. I think my assumption is a fair one.

You are spot on. I watched an interview on the television with prof. Donal o'shea (clinical lead for obesity with the HSE) and he was saying the average car journey in Ireland is somewhere in and around the 2km mark. Outrageous.

• Advertisement

fattymoon wrote: »
    You are spot on. I watched an interview on the television with prof. Donal o'shea (clinical lead for obesity with the HSE) and he was saying the average car journey in Ireland is somewhere in and around the 2km mark. Outrageous.

yes, this is a well shared and really quite awful statistic.
    one commentary on it here

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

I wonder if funds are an issue for lack of improvements to the surface around there.

The place was way behind on its intended opening date.

The average car journey in Ireland is somewhere in and around the 2km mark. Outrageous.

Is that more an issue of saving time?

The baths is 1.4km from my house so I know I'd walk it. Locals also have the option of walking one way and getting a taxi home.

lambayire wrote: »
    I wonder if funds are an issue for lack of improvements to the surface around there.

And they are also in breach of their planning permission because they won't spend money. I can see car parking being low down on their list. Cyclist's safety probably isn't even on the list.

lambayire wrote: »

I wouldn't rely on getting too much satisfaction from the owners anyway, given some of their previous dealings. a quick Google is very informative indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah I presume the cycle lane stops there just like it does for the car parkes up by the Yacht club

yes, but at the bus depot there are stop signs for the cars so cyclists actually have right of way. i.e. its more like a 4 way junction where cyclists have priority

the restaraunt setup is a joke. its set up like a 4 way junction with no indication of who has right of way. the cycle lane ends but there are no stop or yield signs so, treating it as a 4 way, by law, its first come first served. i wont hold my breath for cars to obey that one.

as far as i know its not an actual road, so traffic pulling in has to follow the same rules as traffic pulling into any private driveway across a public footpath. i.e. wait

cars pulling in from the opposite side of the road have no where to stop to allow cyclists already in the junction so either block the road or endanger the cyclist if they mis time their turn in.
    cars pulling out have no excuse other than the usual car pushing through, **** the rules and everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fattymoon

Effects wrote: »
    Is that more an issue of saving time?

The baths is 1.4km from my house so I know I'd walk it. Locals also have the option of walking one way and getting a taxi home.

Perhaps in some cases. Irrespective you're contributing to the inordinate traffic congestion on the roads as well as placing a strain on the health system due to unhealthy lifestyle. This is what professor o'shea was getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Perhaps in some cases. Irrespective you're contributing to the inordinate traffic congestion on the roads as well as placing a strain on the health system due to unhealthy lifestyle. This is what professor o'shea was getting at.

It would be great if we could put Professor O'Shea on the dole by removing the need for his clinic ... and go teetotal and car free to claim the state pension for 40 years, thereby placing a strain on the state finances due to healthy lifestyle :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

I'm not sure of the wisdom of tri/cycling clubs using it in group cycles as they do today.
    i was out on Sunday a group went by (I'm going to sound like a motorist here) 2 abreast on the S2S cycleway,.. going at a fair clip.
    Problem is the wee kids on their bikes get terrified by over taken by large like this. Also group cycling 2 a breast on the S2S is wrong in the first place, especially on narrower sections. I don't think its really fair on other cyclists or the wee kids. Perhaps splitting the group up into smaller chunks whiles on spaces like this would be a smart move.

• Advertisement

As well as placing a strain on the health system due to unhealthy lifestyle. This is what professor o'shea was getting at.

If the baths were open then you could at least offset the unhealthy part.

Advertisement