Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Bobby Kerr apparently the second person to swim in the redeveloped baths.

https://twitter.com/bobbykerr/status/979260184966193157

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I had my first proper experience of a motorist just completely ignoring my presence on the cycle track at the baths yesterday. I was keeping an eye from a good distance away on a taxi driver who was leaving the baths - the entire way out to the exit he literally never once looked in my direction and drove slowly as could be across my path as he approached the junction.

unfortunately the signage does indicate that the cycle track ends so he has right of way - however the fact that he had no clue whatsoever of my presence despite my hi-his jacket and flashing front light is a little troubling to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Check this out: https://www.facebook.com/events/2020414884875517/permalink/2021524794764526/

Looks like the Dublin Bay Greens, Love Dublin Bay and the Dublin Cycling Campaign are highlighting the fact that the development got planning permission on the back of the Baths being reopened to the public and they have not delivered on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

unfortunately the signage does indicate that the cycle track ends so he has right of way - however the fact that he had no clue whatsoever of my presence despite my hi-his jacket and flashing front light is a little troubling to say the least.

I am not sure that is actually correct. The cycle path does indeed end, so in effect it becomes a path as it is not a road. I don't think they automatically have the right of way (although might is right is probably in action).

Is there a definitive answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Effects wrote: »
    Bobby Kerr apparently the second person to swim in the redeveloped baths.

Bobby has just found out what anyone whoever swam there knows - the water in Clontarf baths was always ***king freezing !

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I am not sure that is actually correct. The cycle path does indeed end, so in effect it becomes a path as it is not a road. I don't think they automatically have the right of way (although might is right is probably in action).

Is there a definitive answer?

are you saying it's not a road because it's private land or is there another reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

are you saying it's not a road because it's private land or is there another reason?

I am of the opinion that it isn't a road is probably a more correct thing to say. However, I would assume (hence why I am raising the question as I don't know) that it is not a road in the normal sense. Not sure that makes a difference though.

I think it would fall under private land

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I am of the opinion that it isn't a road is probably a more correct thing to say. However, I would assume (hence why I am raising the question as I don't know) that it is not a road in the normal sense. Not sure that makes a difference though.

I think it would fall under private land

yeah after asking the question I looked up the council's planning search here and the outline of the site seems to extend out as far as the cycle lane only, implying that the cycle lane is on public land.
    there is a reference in the decision notice for the grant of planning permission to requirements relating to the "Roads, Streets & Traffic Division" but I can't see the schedule it refers to - it might just be a general notice for development work.

edit: I'm going to email the CRA and local councilors tonight and ask them the question, will post here if I receive any response.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

as far as i understand, its the same as a car crossing a footpath to get into / out of their driveway.
    they have to wait for everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Paradicia

LennoxR wrote: »
    I don't care at all if he's going faster than me. I do care that he's endangering people by going at least 35 kph (probably more) in areas shared with pedestrians. It's not what cycle paths are designed for.

Also, such machines are supposed to be capped at 25kph. So in fact it is not legal.

A few posts ago you said that they go against everything cycling should be. I don't think anyone that rides one cares about such an elitist mentality as long their bike gets them to their destination. The power rating is 250 watts and power assist only up to 25km/h (after that you have to pedal faster).

Plenty of non ebikes go faster than 21 mph (35 kph) with someone capable on the saddle. Please report them to the Gardai as well while you're at it.

• Advertisement

site_owner wrote: »
    as far as i understand, its the same as a car crossing a footpath to get into / out of their driveway.

I definitely think it should be clarified. the presence of signs signalling the end of the cycle lane suggests to me that it's no so clear-cut.

Not sure if mentioned already but when passing over the weekend I noticed they now have Sheffield stands out front.

Effects wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned already but when passing over the weekend I noticed they now have Sheffield stands out front.

I didn't notice that this morning, though I was keeping my head down out of the rain tbf!

TDw6pQW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Stands have also been put in on the access points to Dollymount beach too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

Stands have also been put in on the access points to Dollymount beach too.

Is that at the Happy Out Coffee shop after the bridge? if so they were badly needed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd agree with that. It's really an entrance rather than a road. In fact, it's still partially blocked with the old concrete bollards and there seems also to be some new plastic ones, which look like they are designed to make cars pass across cautiously.
    Is that at the Happy Out Coffee shop after the bridge? if so they were badly needed
    No, at the start of the wooden bridge. I haven't noticed any at the other end near the coffee place.

I run up there quite a bit, and it's great to see it doing well btw. It's amazing what you can do with a few old shipping containers.

https://www.happyout.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

checky88 wrote: »

Yeah. You need to go past a "bikes not allowed to pass" sign in order to reach them, beside the changing areas.

The baths were packed at about 7 yesterday. Can expect more of this all summer :(

447463.jpg

Time to start contacting the powers that be. Who is best to contact about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mrcheez wrote: »

Officially you call DSPS but they're useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

mrcheez wrote: »
    Somebody in the near misses thread asked similar, I'd suggest Councillor Ciaran Cuffe. He was very involved in the upgrade works at the car park opposite Vernon Avenue, to make the cycle track safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

The baths were packed at about 7 yesterday. Can expect more of this all summer :(

Was that car parked? Or is the driver using the cycle path as a u-turn space?

(Both are equally bad.)

Moflojo wrote: »

Was that car parked? Or is the driver using the cycle path as a u-turn space?

(Both are equally bad.)

Silver car is parked (check out the drama in the near miss thread, the driver is defending their parking)

White car was looking for a space I think. Not sure what they did in the end

I see they've now put in rumble strips along the cycle path at the tram stop / bus shelter.
    they've also painted yield signs on the cycle lane. I'll post a pic later if I remember.

What are the chances of the road being repaired at the Clontarf baths sections?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I see they've now put in rumble strips along the cycle path at the tram stop / bus shelter.
    they've also painted yield signs on the cycle lane. I'll post a pic later if I remember.

I'm sure Finian McGrath had something to do with this, though if he had his way there'd probably be ramps and spikes!

It's badly designed, I don't know why they didn't just move the shelter, but I do accept something is needed now that it's been made this way. There's a lot of elderly, disabled and kids that use that bus stop

And they definitely could have used some rumble strip paint to sort out the baths with clear marking and fill the potholes

posters are starting to appear lower and lower in the cycle lane, this one is just before the baths heading towards howth.
    reported to the council over the weeknd so hopefully it will be moved soonn.

3wgFkh5.png

image of rumble strips and yield marking in place
    pKHCXlN.png

• Advertisement

image of rumble strips and yield marking in place

I noticed that one again this morning, on the right hand side of that picture there are rumble strips after you've passed by the tram shelter, as well as before it :confused:

Advertisement