Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

it looks like the wall height reduction is going to start soon - there was a sign up this evening saying that work is starting on the 20th for 10 weeks. the footpath is to be closed and it says that the cycle lane will be "reduced".

I can't believe this will actually happen, I assumed DCC would pull some rabbit out of hat, some reason not to do it, Godzilla DNA found in the lagoon means it would be unsafe to disturb the nest site or something.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I don't know either if this is just the work on reducing the height or if it includes the cladding also. if only the height reduction then we'll see further closures to get the cladding done...

edit to say...it seems from going back to news reports on it from January that the 2 pieces of work were to be done in 1 go so fingers crossed on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

the footpath is to be closed and it says that the cycle lane will be "reduced".

Ah... back to dodging joggers on the bike path again. The good ol days.

they don't seem to have quite gotten around to starting yesterday but they were unloading gear from vans at the causeway end this morning as I was on my way in.

on a different note I saw a lovely contrast in terms of users of the cycleway this morning near the baths. in the middle of a few commuters heading towards the city was a guy with a loaded cargo trailer also heading towards town while 2 guys on a tandem recumbent (sp?) passed against us at the same time heading towards Howth. even more unusual than it being a tandem recumbent was that the guy at the front was pedaling with his feet while the one at the back was hand cycling. something about it all just lifted my spirits! anyway, just a random musing of a Thursday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭comanche_cor

they don't seem to have quite gotten around to starting yesterday but they were unloading gear from vans at the causeway end this morning as I was on my way in.

Am hoping they are going to do it in small sections so there's not too much disruption...
    on a different note I saw a lovely contrast in terms of users of the cycleway this morning near the baths. in the middle of a few commuters heading towards the city was a guy with a loaded cargo trailer also heading towards town while 2 guys on a tandem recumbent (sp?) passed against us at the same time heading towards Howth. even more unusual than it being a tandem recumbent was that the guy at the front was pedaling with his feet while the one at the back was hand cycling. something about it all just lifted my spirits! anyway, just a random musing of a Thursday morning :D

They have been out a few times, I think I have meet them coming the opposite was twice this week. Looks like they are on a training for something. I thought it might be Mark Pollock but couldn't be sure (https://twitter.com/markpollock/status/997516693713940480) ... I tend to meet them around Raheny.

Meet them a bit further up the coast this morning and was wondering if I was late or they were early or getting a bit of a push with the wind!

As my mind wandered on the cycle in I was wondering about the engineering of the tandum - looks great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

The Baths at Clontarf has a Facebook page, with reviews open to the public. I guess reviews based on the parking habits of the restaurant's patrons are fair game?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/thebathsclontarf/reviews/

so with the work having started in earnest now, it seems that there should be enough space for cyclists to pass while it's ongoing. judging by this morning at least, there was enough space for me and a guy heading against me to pass against each other, although both on road bikes so 2 hybrids would be more of a squeeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

its not too bad, and hopefully they keep the section sizes small.
    theres no temp pedestrian crossings in place however, so anyone who walks past the sign could end up stuck.

They have been out a few times, I think I have meet them coming the opposite was twice this week. Looks like they are on a training for something. I thought it might be Mark Pollock but couldn't be sure (https://twitter.com/markpollock/status/997516693713940480) ... I tend to meet them around Raheny.

Meet them a bit further up the coast this morning and was wondering if I was late or they were early or getting a bit of a push with the wind!

As my mind wandered on the cycle in I was wondering about the engineering of the tandum - looks great!

I saw them again yesterday and looked at the hand cyclist specifically after your comment - I'm sure it is Mark Pollock. so I checked his twitter just now and see the post I think you were trying to link to but it didn't work for me in your post...

https://twitter.com/markpollock/status/997516693713940480

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

On my way into town this morning I was running a bit later than usual so there were no cars alongside me. Approached the speed-checker sign as you near Wooden Bridge and it flashed up 34. Checked my cheap €5 Lidl speedo and it read 34.2.

So learned two things:
    - The speed checkers actually track cyclist speeds as well as cars (pretty cool)
    - My cheap speedo is 100% accurate

Never thought those things would track smaller objects like cyclists.

mrcheez wrote: »
    On my way into town this morning I was running a bit later than usual so there were no cars alongside me. Approached the speed-checker sign as you near Wooden Bridge and it flashed up 34. Checked my cheap €5 Lidl speedo and it read 34.2.

So learned two things:
    - The speed checkers actually track cyclist speeds as well as cars (pretty cool)
    - My cheap speedo is 100% accurate

Never thought those things would track smaller objects like cyclists.

yeah I've noticed it a few times at speeds similar to what my Garmin tells me - this morning I think it had me bang on too! dude in front of me registered at 24 :rolleyes: :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some of them seem to pick up cyclists, but in my experience, most don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Some of us are built more like trucks than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I took a new to cycling cousin on a short 20km spin last summer. As we passed one of the signs at ~20km/h it picked up a car 200m behind us. He was amazed we were hitting 50km/h without breaking a sweat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Having just moved to the area I finally cycled this today.

I've moved from the border region and there's nothing like this. I thought it was fantastic, least stressful cycle I've had in a long while, did the full length one way and then back.

I'm a couple of stone overweight and unfit but managed to set a semi decent pace. It was great to see so many out and about, all shapes and sizes. (Of people and bikes!)

A couple of issues, the bit at the baths is every bit as stupid, bad and jarring as previous posters have said. The track should have gone behind the bus stop at the tram shelter thing and the lights at the wooden bridge should be quicker.

Aside from that it was a delight and I'll be using it frequently to up my fitness to stage I'd be confident joining a club. (I think there's one in Clontarf?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Having just moved to the area I finally cycled this today.

I've moved from the border region and there's nothing like this. I thought it was fantastic, least stressful cycle I've had in a long while, did the full length one way and then back.

I'm a couple of stone overweight and unfit but managed to set a semi decent pace. It was great to see so many out and about, all shapes and sizes. (Of people and bikes!)

A couple of issues, the bit at the baths is every bit as stupid, bad and jarring as previous posters have said. The track should have gone behind the bus stop at the tram shelter thing and the lights at the wooden bridge should be quicker.

Aside from that it was a delight and I'll be using it frequently to up my fitness to stage I'd be confident joining a club. (I think there's one in Clontarf?)

You mean you stopped at them? :pac:

Raam wrote: »
    You mean you stopped at them? :pac:

Haha I did, and only a couple of other fools did too.

I'd don't know how often I'll be waiting in future haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Fair play John.

Naomh Barróg is a fairly social cycling club based in Kilbarrack, could be worth checking out if you're not confident joining a more competitive group.

Moflojo wrote: »
    Fair play John.

Naomh Barróg is a fairly social cycling club based in Kilbarrack, could be worth checking out if you're not confident joining a more competitive group.
    Thanks I'll check that out in a few weeks after I work a little by myself. Not looking for anything competitive at all, just to get out and about and meet some people and cycle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

drove along the coast road this evening. it's down to one lane about 200m the far side of 360 cycles - to facilitate the cycle track being dug up. looked like at least 10m of it from what we saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

drove along the coast road this evening. it's down to one lane about 200m the far side of 360 cycles - to facilitate the cycle track being dug up. looked like at least 10m of it from what we saw.

It was back to normal this morning with that section all resurfaced.

That section is back open again this morning. Cycled past the section you mentioned last night and it looked like they were preparing for works yesterday evening there but have reopened again.

Main works still at most northerly end opposite St Annes.

It was back to normal this morning with that section all resurfaced.

Didn't notice the resurfacing - have been noticing that awful repair job they did just before the tram shelter where there's been a nasty tarmac patch put down where they dug up a section frown.png

The clontarf half marathon is on this Saturday, does anyone know if the cycle track is closed ?

site_owner wrote: »
    The clontarf half marathon is on this Saturday, does anyone know if the cycle track is closed ?

I expect so, it was last year iirc. though last year I also remember seeing signage a few days in advance, none up this year as yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

site_owner wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I saw signs up saying it is closed

Haven't seen any signs up. Messaged them on Facebook and it's only closed from Sutton to the causeway from 10-2. Not too bad actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I expect so, it was last year iirc. though last year I also remember seeing signage a few days in advance, none up this year as yet anyway.

One sign at the northern side of the Causeway on Tuesday. Thought it might relate to the wall cutting so stopped to read it but it referred to the half marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Last place I want to cycle on a sunny weekend is that track.

Advertisement