Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Raam wrote: »
    Last place I want to cycle on a sunny weekend is that track.

Some of us depend on it to get around

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

site_owner wrote: »
    Some of us depend on it to get around

Me too, I use it twice a day every week day.

Raam wrote: »
    Me too, I use it twice a day every week day.

Then I dont really understand the point of the dismissive comment, since you must realise how important it is as a piece of cycling infrastructure

Then I dont really understand the point of the dismissive comment, since you must realise how important it is as a piece of cycling infrastructure

Perhaps I have different needs than you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There is a difference between using it to commute and choosing to use it on a day where it may be thronged with people using it as a relaxing amenity. It's not necessarily going to be a bad thing to make that differentiation based on different experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

There is a difference between using it to commute and choosing to use it on a day where it may be thronged with people using it as a relaxing amenity. It's not necessarily going to be a bad thing to make that differentiation based on different experiences?

I've noticed a snobbery develop on the irish cycling scene. It's not nice lads

P_1 wrote: »

Cycling? Snobbish? en aucune façon!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

snobbery? if (and it's only an if, i'm just guessing) some people are choosing not to use it on a sunny weekend because it's too busy, that's not snobbery. they're probably just going elsewhere.

and if it *is* that thronged on weekends, that's a great thing. more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I noticed a female cyclist down at the section where they are doing the wall lowering works yesterday evening.
    It was about 19.30, two Gardaí in attendance and an ambulance was just arriving. Didn't notice anyone else at the scene that could have been involved such as pedestrian or another cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Effects wrote: »
    I noticed a female cyclist down at the section where they are doing the wall lowering works yesterday evening.
    It was about 19.30, two Gardaí in attendance and an ambulance was just arriving. Didn't notice anyone else at the scene that could have been involved such as pedestrian or another cyclist.

I do hope the cyclist is ok.

That particular section, though the footpath is sign-posted closed, is still being used by some pedestrians/joggers as well as cyclists - and is quite narrow at one particular point. Cyclists travelling in the Howth direction should be aware of the low kerb on their left, which if hit could initiate a trip and tumble on to the road and oncoming traffic.

Some cyclists are unfortunately persisting in cycling two abreast on the narrow sections of this cycleway and creating a dangerous situation for outward bound cyclists, as I have described above. Most cyclists will single up, but some seem oblivious to the potentially hazardous situation they are creating for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

railer201 wrote: »
    Some cyclists are unfortunately persisting in cycling two abreast on the narrow sections of this cycleway and creating a dangerous situation for outward bound cyclists, as I have described above. Most cyclists will single up, but some seem oblivious to the potentially hazardous situation they are creating for others.

I was told to "relax" when I mentioned this to a pair that were blocking up the path and forcing oncoming cyclists to veer within 5cm of the edge of the pavement.

There are many inconsiderate fools on that stretch tbh.

I do hope the cyclist is ok.

That particular section is temporarily dual use - pedestrians and cyclists - and is .

The signs at both ends are "footpath closed"

The signs at both ends are "footpath closed"

The footpath is officially closed ok, (post edited above) but some pedestrians and joggers are still using the cycle track instead of the opposite footpath.

SgaFTPzl.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/SgaFTPz.jpg

6ZO7dUul.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/6ZO7dUu.jpg

i had to double check but the signs are clear

mrcheez wrote: »
    I was told to "relax" when I mentioned this to a pair that were blocking up the path and forcing oncoming cyclists to veer within 5cm of the edge of the pavement.

There are many inconsiderate fools on that stretch tbh.

One cyclist shouted 'Boo' in my ear when I chickened him out of it, and on my last encounter with another reluctant 'two abreaster', who just wouldn't give way, I roared in his ear as he passed. "Would you move over for ****'s sake".

On the narrow sections it appears to be a somewhat regular occurrence and something to watch out for. I for one don't want to find myself 'relaxing' in the back of an ambulance because of some tool who has forced me to tumble out into the path of oncoming traffic.

2 abreast oncoming is just so frustrating. i mean they know you are there and make no effort.

there are a ton of other things that are annoying on the track but they are definitely the most blood boiling

i had to double check but the signs are clear

Indeed they are, I was down there earlier and met two joggers and one pedestrian on the officially closed section. The other day I passed a pedestrian right at the pinch point where the guys are cutting through the wall. The only reason I'm pointing it up is that it becomes an added hazard for cyclists and also pedestrians at that point on the track.

There's a lot of ordinary 'oul' cyclists out there too - I can vouch for at least one. ;)

There's a lot of ordinary 'oul' cyclists out there too - I can vouch for at least one. ;)

Yeah weirdly enough I notice the majority of the fully-kitted out road bike users are guys in their 50s+ on this stretch.

But not necessarily fast, so I assume they are relatively new to the scene.

Some sort of mid life crisis thing happening where they take up the sport and go all in with the Lycra etc?
    Don't see too many 20-somethings doing the same so just something I noticed.

Yeah weirdly enough I notice the majority of the fully-kitted out road bike users are guys in their 50s+ on this stretch.

Some sort of mid life crisis thing happening where they take up the sport and go all in with the Lycra etc?

Fair dues to them, you're never to old to dream or cycle for that matter. Just back from the closed off area in question and again observed one jogger and an elderly couple on the closed off section.

The elderly couple were on the cycle track adjacent to where the wall is being cut. Another cyclist and myself informed them the adjacent footpath was closed and they should be using the opposite one. To which I was told 'they would walk where they liked' followed by a '***k off'. My response was therefore 'f*** you too ! That's the thanks you get for warning someone of the danger of being hit by a bike or causing injury to a cyclist. :(

• Advertisement

Lots of stubborn oul wans in the area. I live beside one, the b**** ;)

Lots of stubborn oul wans in the area. I live beside one, the b**** ;)

A year or so ago I had to take a leak amongst some high bushes just opposite the flat roofed houses before the wooden bridge. I could see this 'wan', not so 'oul', hopping around inside a window opposite, clearly perturbed by this cyclist having a 'leak' on 'her' promenade . Shortly after all these bushes were cut down. I know the mentality quite well, I'm from there myself originally.

......................The elderly couple were on the cycle track adjacent to where the wall is being cut. Another cyclist and myself informed them the adjacent footpath was closed and they should be using the opposite one. To which I was told 'they would walk where they liked' followed by a '***k off'. My response was therefore 'f*** you too ! That's the thanks you get for warning someone of the danger of being hit by a bike or causing injury to a cyclist. :(

Yet another belligerant pedestrian at this section today. He erupted with multiple expletives and sign language when, after getting in my way, I pointed out to him that the footpath was 'over there' - on the opposite side of the road.

I don't engage in this activity very often - I just think on this section where the only 'out' for cyclists is the road and oncoming traffic, pedestrians adding to the mix of cyclists is just not on, particularly at weekends.

Another thing about it is the folly of sign-posting the footpath closed and no-one following up with the policing of same, either the contractors or the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Just slow down and pass when it's easy without the verbals. It's a temporary situation that suits nobody. It's literally about 50 feet and 10 seconds of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

No-one following up with the policing of same, either the contractors or the Gardai.

Contractors probably couldn't care less and same for the Gardai as they have better things to spend their time on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I know and regularly see plenty doing the same.

nee wrote: »
    I know and regularly see plenty doing the same.

Maybe they've all gone grey trying to dodge joggers so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Maybe they've all gone grey trying to dodge joggers so

:D

That must be what's happening to my hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

A year or so ago I had to take a leak amongst some high bushes just opposite the flat roofed houses before the wooden bridge. I could see this 'wan', not so 'oul', hopping around inside a window opposite, clearly perturbed by this cyclist having a 'leak' on 'her' promenade . Shortly after all these bushes were cut down. I know the mentality quite well, I'm from there myself originally.

If I seen somebody p1ssing in a public space outside my window I would be hopping mad too.

Why wouldn't you pop into to a pub or coffee house, there is plenty on the seafront

• Advertisement

If I seen somebody p1ssing in a public space outside my window I would be hopping mad too.

Why wouldn't you pop into to a pub or coffee house, there is plenty on the seafront

Where do you live - next door ?

Why should I impose myself on private business owners ?

Why are there no public conveniences on the promenade in Clontarf ?

If Bray, Howth, Malahide, Portmarnock etc can provide public conveniences why not Clontarf ?

They would come in very handy for lots of cyclists, pedestrians and joggers, do you not think ?

Advertisement