Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i regularly urinate in my own back garden. i do do it when or where i know the neighbours can't see, but it's a lot more environmentally friendly and useful to me than using a loo, so maybe i'm biased; but taking a leak where it's not going to be a problem for someone to deal with is not something i see as a particularly big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Just slow down and pass when it's easy without the verbals. It's a temporary situation that suits nobody. It's literally about 50 feet and 10 seconds of your life.

That's just fine, however it raises the question of how one ensures dedicated cycleways such as S2S remain predominantly for the use of cyclists if everyone sings dumb every time they come across pedestrians or joggers clearly where they should not be.

Clearly the pedestrians I've had verbals with are under the impression they have as much right to be there as me, which appears to me as a problem in itself which requires rectifying. It's a safety issue at the end of the day,just as much the pedestrian's as the cyclist's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

railer201 wrote: »

Clearly the pedestrians I've had verbals with are under the impression they have as much right to be there as me

That's an Irish problem, rather than something that can be changed. People here don't like to be told what to do and will walk wherever is easiest for them regardless how it inconveniences others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

That's just fine, however it raises the question of how one ensures dedicated cycleways such as S2S remain predominantly for the use of cyclists if everyone sings dumb every time they come across pedestrians or joggers clearly where they should not be.

Clearly the pedestrians I've had verbals with are under the impression they have as much right to be there as me, which appears to me as a problem in itself which requires rectifying. It's a safety issue at the end of the day,just as much the pedestrian's as the cyclist's.

With regard to the works ongoing however, this is a temporary situation. Prior to the works on that new section, and on the rare occasion somebody was on that part of the cycleway, I would have mentioned (politely) that they should run/walk on the path in the interests of safety. In fact compliance is far pooere on the older sections of the cycleway in my experience.

Whomever in the council thought that runners etc. would move across the road based on the path being closed is either being lazy or naïve. It was never going to happen. In this case it would be foolish to swim against the tide.

Ferris wrote: »
    With regard to the works ongoing however, this is a temporary situation. Prior to the works on that new section, and on the rare occasion somebody was on that part of the cycleway, I would have mentioned (politely) that they should run/walk on the path in the interests of safety. In fact compliance is far pooere on the older sections of the cycleway in my experience.

Whomever in the council thought that runners etc. would move across the road based on the path being closed is either being lazy or naïve. It was never going to happen. In this case it would be foolish to swim against the tide.

I pretty well go with all you're saying, however, there is a subtle difference with these temporary works in that in the event of a collision at the pinch point I've mentioned, a cyclist or pedestrian could be thrown on to the road in front of traffic. There is no safety margin at all, unlike the older section on the promenade, where you have grass on one side and a footpath on the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

When I come across roadworks with a 'cyclists dismount' sign and no readily accessible alternate route, I'll just ride through on the road with the cars. If a driver has to wait behind me for a minute or so, they'll manage, or they can overtake when safe.

Likewise so should anyone on a bike who's held up temporarily by a pedestrian being told to cross a busy road when there's a fine route that can be shared right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

railer201 wrote:
    Why should I impose myself on private business owners ?

railer201 wrote:
    They would come in very handy for lots of cyclists, pedestrians and joggers, do you not think ?

railer201 wrote:
    If Bray, Howth, Malahide, Portmarnock etc can provide public conveniences why not Clontarf ?

railer201 wrote:
    Why are there no public conveniences on the promenade in Clontarf ?

railer201 wrote:
    Where do you live - next door ?

No but I do enjoy a spin out that way - never had to use the bushes as a toilet though.

Why not buy a bottle of water in return for using the businesses toilets

There is a public toilet at the end of the wooden bridge, not 5 min cycle away away from Clontarf.

Urinating in public is pretty bad.

There is a public toilet at the end of the wooden bridge, not 5 min cycle away away from Clontarf.

You have to pay for that toilet, I don't know about you but I rarely cycle with cash unless I'm commuting to work, or purposely heading somewhere that I'll be spending money.

Pissing in bushes out of view is perfectly fine ffs :rolleyes:

Otherwise just tinkle on the beach or summat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Felexicon

mrcheez wrote: »
    You have to pay for that toilet, I don't know about you but I rarely cycle with cash unless I'm commuting to work, or purposely heading somewhere that I'll be spending money.

Pissing in bushes out of view is perfectly fine ffs :rolleyes:

Otherwise just tinkle on the beach or summat.

It's a fine attempt you're making here pal. You've even got a few biters

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If I seen somebody p1ssing in a public space outside my window I would be hopping mad too.

Why wouldn't you pop into to a pub or coffee house, there is plenty on the seafront

It's not outside the window. It's outside the window, passed the front boundary wall, across two lanes of roadway, across a footpath and then some grass.

TBH, the guy should probably have made a better effort to not be seen but I don't think it's a terrible crime.

• Advertisement

i regularly urinate in my own back garden. i do do it when or where i know the neighbours can't see, but it's a lot more environmentally friendly and useful to me than using a loo, so maybe i'm biased.

I can't find it now but I listened to a podcast a while back where some town in the US recycled their urine to make nitrate fertiliser. Apparently it's a finite resource and the price is set to skyrocket in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Effects wrote: »
    I can't find it now but I listened to a podcast a while back where some town in the US recycled their urine to make nitrate fertiliser. Apparently it's a finite resource and the price is set to skyrocket in a few years.

I heard that one too.

TBH I didn't believe a word of it.

Think it was all just taking the p1ss

I'll get my coat

No but I do enjoy a spin out that way - never had to use the bushes as a toilet though.

Why not buy a bottle of water in return for using the businesses toilets

I don't know what sort of sheltered life you lead that you fail to understand that when there are no public conveniences on the whole length of the S2S (the one you refer to on the Bull Wall is no longer btw), people will resort to other means including public places - discreetly of course. ;)

There is no obligation on the part of private businesses to provide toilet facilities to the public and why should I be wasting money purchasing unwanted bottles of water ?

Do you have any opinions on the safety issue I raised concerning cyclist and pedestrian safety where the present works are being carried out, or are you just concerned with cyclist etiquette regarding urination ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's free public toilets just off the roundabout on Bull Island behind this building (it used to be a visitor centre, don't know what it is now). Big enough to be able to bring your bike in with you. I've only ever seen it locked once (a bank holiday), and it's a little dark inside, but it's cleaned and maintained.

Other urban toilets that I know of (that fit a bike) are in Howth, between Malahide and Portmarnock, and just off Seapoint Ave.

I found the podcast, it was Planet Money and it was about phosphate.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/7-Planet-Money-28457189/episode/820-p-is-for-phosphorus-28878071/

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

how about a new thread for all the pee talk...

There's free public toilets just off the roundabout on Bull Island behind this building (it used to be a visitor centre, don't know what it is now). Big enough to be able to bring your bike in with you. I've only ever seen it locked once (a bank holiday), and it's a little dark inside, but it's cleaned and maintained.

There's also a whole stretch of say, 5km, of coast that you can descend down into using handy little steps and whizz against the wall out of view.

ffs

site_owner wrote: »
    how about a new thread for all the pee talk...

Good idea, how about Wiz2Wiz as the title ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

From P to shining P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's also a whole stretch of say, 5km, of coast that you can descend down into using handy little steps and whizz against the wall out of view.

ffs
    Plenty of trees in St. Anne's too, whatever level of privacy people are comfortable with.

idgaf tbh

• Advertisement

Plenty of trees in St. Anne's too, whatever level of privacy people are comfortable with.

idgaf tbh

If trees get cut wherever we whizz maybe someone wants to relieve themselves on the trees opposite the bus station

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3585591,-6.1903493,3a,75y,158.6h,89.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNNc8nDWlKtSuhC6ckgJRFg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

idgaf tbh

At least you'll still have a sea view while you go now that the wall's been chopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

.. when the tide is out.

Ferris wrote: »
    At least you'll still have a sea view while you go now that the wall's been chopped.

The sea view was always there for people not in cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Doeshedare wrote: »

Will this mean no more close pass videos from Alanstrainor? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Baldoyle to Portmarnock approved

Hopefully planning for the Portmarnock to Malahide (and Malahide to Donabate) sections won't have to wait until this stretch is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully planning for the Portmarnock to Malahide (and Malahide to Donabate) sections won't have to wait until this stretch is completed.

Not as easy spacing wise but would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

buffalo wrote: »
    Will this mean no more close pass videos from Alanstrainor? :pac:

No. It'll mean punishment pass videos 'cos he won't use the "perfectly good cycle track"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's a pity we can't do linked up planning and connect the new cycleroute to the existing one at planning stage

Advertisement