Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've been offline for a few days, so not sure if this was posted elsewhere: https://www.dublininquirer.com/2018/07/31/council-continues-to-press-clontarf-baths-to-open-to-the-public/
    At the moment, the bar and restaurant are open Tuesday to Sunday, but the outdoor swimming spot itself is only open to private swimming and sports clubs – not the general public.

Following an on-site inspection on 18 July, council officials wrote to Clontarf Baths to query just how it planned to address this issue. According to the council spokesperson, the owners have two weeks to respond.

Two weeks was up last Wednesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I went by and wondered if there was swimming there yet over the weekend, I then thought that if they hadn't this summer, they never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

there was a Swim Ireland van parked outside last week, whether that's related to the swimming pool or just a coincidence I have no idea!

good to see the speed of progress on the wall lowering / cladding also. looks like it should be done in the expected time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

there was a Swim Ireland van parked outside last week, whether that's related to the swimming pool or just a coincidence I have no idea!

good to see the speed of progress on the wall lowering / cladding also. looks like it should be done in the expected time.

The same van is parked outside today. Maybe they are providing the lifeguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭comanche_cor

More rumble strips after going down last night at the bus stops on the Dollymount section ... turning into a slalom course now :)

• Advertisement

More rumble strips after going down last night at the bus stops on the Dollymount section ... turning into a slalom course now :)

yep saw those this morning, lot of effort gone in last night - little bikes painted at each pedestrian crossing section too.

it looks like they're rerouting the cycleway away from the car park just before you turn onto Alfie Byrne road, this evening there was a stretch dug up right across the grass area right up to the existing cycle path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

it looks like they're rerouting the cycleway away from the car park just before you turn onto Alfie Byrne road, this evening there was a stretch dug up right across the grass area right up to the existing cycle path.

I saw that last night too and wondered was that what they were doing.

I also notice too that they have recently installed curved mirrors at the entrance to the Dublin Bus car park. TBF they usually have a banksman standing there in the mornings watching out for bikes as the buses pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Saw this this morning, cannot see why they are focusing a significant amount of effort there when the sections at the Baths and at the DB carpark are far more hazardous. In fairness I believe that they are going to start work on the section at the baths in September. Let hope is not a sticking plaster approach however.

I actually had to drive out of the Baths in the car last weekend and its a nightmare for drivers to be fair, trying to time a break in the traffic while the cycleway is clear is difficult to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I saw that last night too and wondered was that what they were doing.

I also notice too that they have recently installed curved mirrors at the entrance to the Dublin Bus car park. TBF they usually have a banksman standing there in the mornings watching out for bikes as the buses pull out.

I'm more worried about bikes heading straight into me at that section where they ride on the wrong side of the path at the corner.

Perhaps they could trim back the trees a bit there to provide full view of oncoming traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm more worried about bikes heading straight into me at that section where they ride on the wrong side of the path at the corner.

Perhaps they could trim back the trees a bit there to provide full view of oncoming traffic?

Removing the trees completely would improve visibility for motorised vehicles too and improve safety for all. I had a few close calls where cars drive in or out of the car parks without pausing to see if there are cyclists.

Removing the trees completely would improve visibility for motorised vehicles too and improve safety for all. I had a few close calls where cars drive in or out of the car parks without pausing to see if there are cyclists.

aye... saw an elderly gent knocked off there and whacked into the sign :(

Is that a Dublin County Council thing, or is this more likely to be done by asking a politician when they come around looking for votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I know this is not strictly S2S cycleway realted, but just wondering if anybody has noticed that the gate leading into Fairview Park at Howth Road is now locked even up to 9 am. Is it ever opened anymore?

I have never understood why they continue to lock this gate at it takes away the cycle path (I know there is an entrance further down but a) it messy and b) it brings cyclists into direct line with pedestrians at the lights crossing)

yeah I've noticed that gate closed a lot recently - seems fairly ad-hoc though, some mornings open, some not. when I go that way it's usually after 9:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

aye... saw an elderly gent knocked off there and whacked into the sign :(

Is that a Dublin County Council thing, or is this more likely to be done by asking a politician when they come around looking for votes?

Email Ciaran Cuffe, he got straight back on to me following a query about the works required to the section outside the Baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Was driving home from work last Friday afternoon and there looked like a bad incident opposite the bus depot.

Fire brigade and ambulance at the scene.

Something has to be done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Might be jumping before the gun here but I don't think the new layout being built now on the Clontarf side of the Alfie Byrne Rd is good at all. Cyclists will be coming through there at a good clip, merging with walkers at a much shallower angle than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

had a close one myself there yesterday around 8 when it was starting to get dark. had seen the car turn in, so was ready to stop when it crossed out.

separately for the 4th time in 2 weeks i've been run into the kerb or wall by oncoming cyclists. seems to be a group of about 10 or so all in hi vis cycling 2 abreast the whole way down. they keep inside the cycle section to leave room for walkers but dont care about oncoming bikes. not sure if its the same group but behavior is the same every time. t

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭comanche_cor

Cyclist down this morning on the cycle path at one of those bus stops that encroaches onto cycle lane. Looked pretty shook - was sitting in the middle of the lane being attended to by the people at from the bus stop.

Those bus stops are always trouble along this route.

Seems to have been an accident there on sunday as well. Can't find the report but seems to have been cyclist on cyclist. One woman taken to hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Seems to have been an accident there on sunday as well. Can't find the report but seems to have been cyclist on cyclist. One woman taken to hospital.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/woman-hospitalised-following-collision-involving-15189261

I also noticed a concrete bollard has been knocked at the entrance to the baths - and looked like part of a bumper was still beside it.

Grassey wrote: »

yowch, must have been some speed to suffer a head injury through the helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not really. A head injury can be that her head is sore. Doesn't have to be serious (ie a massive wound) but bangs to the head are treated very seriously. If they crashed into each other they could've banged heads or she could have banged her head when she landed,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah the road was closed for a period Sunday morning while the ambulance was in there

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah the road was closed for a period Sunday morning while the ambulance was in there

Whereabouts do you know?

In other news, I mentioned the encroaching palm trees opposite the Bus Depot to Sean Haughey and he's going to follow up with the matter.

He was great in bringing up the S2S project in the Dail several times when I asked him to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There's no mention of a helmet in the article, or is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm presuming it was the woman I saw with a neck brace on, she was doing the Great Dublin Bike Ride and was wearing a helmet, as were all participants. There was a second incident involving another cyclist down further along the route, didn't see any similar incidents last year, think the slow start, allied to traffic allowed going southbound on the road caused much more bunching this year and unfortunately tips can happen.
    It would have been a low speed collision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Whereabouts do you know?
    I was coming out through Fairview and they turned me up left at Westwood (up the Howth Road)

Advertisement