Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

mrcheez wrote: »
    In other news, I mentioned the encroaching palm trees opposite the Bus Depot to Sean Haughey and he's going to follow up with the matter.

He was great in bringing up the S2S project in the Dail several times when I asked him to.

He has to work extra hard to throw off the shackles of the family name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

In other news, I mentioned the encroaching palm trees opposite the Bus Depot to Sean Haughey and he's going to follow up with the matter.

He was great in bringing up the S2S project in the Dail several times when I asked him to.

Got an update to this...
    Question to the Chief Executive Council Meeting 1 st October 2018

Q.76 COUNCILLOR SEAN PAUL MAHON
    NCA To ask the Chief Executive if he will arrange to cut back overgrown palm trees
    encroaching on the cycle path at (details supplied) in order to improve the vision for
    cyclists and motorists who have to pull in and also cross it.
    Details: Cycle path on the Clontarf Road opposite the Dublin Bus depot

CHIEF EXECUTIVE’S REPLY:
    These works have been included in the winter shrubbery maintenance programme.

looks like the system works

*fingers crossed it's not just a trim*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Well done, great result.

Unfortunately came across an accident on the cycle way at the bus depot on my way home today. A cyclist had run into the side of a car which was crossing the cycle way to get into the public car park there. The gentleman seemed okay. Understandably very pissed off, probably will be sore in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Ferris wrote: »
    Unfortunately came across an accident on the cycle way at the bus depot on my way home today. A cyclist had run into the side of a car which was crossing the cycle way to get into the public car park there. The gentleman seemed okay. Understandably very pissed off, probably will be sore in the morning.
    It's a stupid junction, but the bike lane technically ends for those few meters of the entrance to the car park.

Glad to hear he was okay

• Advertisement

Not sure if that’s the case, there are yield signs for cars too. The whole design is awful. The sight lines for cars and bikes are terrible, the bends into that section are too sharp, the stupid poles in the middle of the cycle way are dangerous and there is ambiguity as to who has right of way.

Can understand why they faffed around with the unnecessary new section at the alfie byrne end instead of fixing the sections by the bus depot and outside the baths. It’s idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There are stop signs entering and exiting the car park. I think stop signs trump yield signs. That said, aren't they "cycle lane end" rather than yield? Should cyclists technically dismount to cross the entrances?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

lady cyclist down at the causeway tonight at 6:45ish. a car (which I assume was involved) was pulled up, fire engine & ambulance in attendance. she didn't look badly hurt and was talking to the paramedic as I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

The entrance to "the baths" restaurant in Clontarf seems to be worse recently.   Some of the bollards at the entrance have been either removed or moved to facilitate cars turning in.  The side effect is that cards are entering and exiting faster and not looking for cyclists.   Its an accident waiting to happen (or another one to happen), just a matter of time before there is a serious injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Cionn wrote: »
    The entrance to "the baths" restaurant in Clontarf seems to be worse recently.   Some of the bollards at the entrance have been either removed or moved to facilitate cars turning in.  The side effect is that cards are entering and exiting faster and not looking for cyclists.   Its an accident waiting to happen (or another one to happen), just a matter of time before there is a serious injury.

I had reason to drive into and out of there one morning last week. With the intersection angle, the sightline is awful. I was basically looking through my passenger side B pillar to try to see cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I had reason to drive into and out of there one morning last week. With the intersection angle, the sightline is awful. I was basically looking through my passenger side B pillar to try to see cyclists.

I was there on Sunday - it's a bit of a mess. An accident waiting to happen if you ask me - especially over the weekend with increased traffic to the restaurant.

A mixture of Sunday drivers and Sunday cyclists....

Did anyone suggest a workable solution to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Effects wrote: »
    He has to work extra hard to throw off the shackles of the family name.

He could always try giving some of the ill-gotten goods (including islands and millions of Euro)which he inherited from the old devil and donating them to charity. But don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Dunno but it could be addressed by a combination of high curbs at the roadside (removing the sweeping turn in) and raising the cycleway onto a plateau which the car has to stop to mount. These measures would significantly slow the cars crossing and alert (ha!) the driver to the fact that they are crossing something significant.

as an example - this evening as I was heading out form town a car was exiting the Clontarf side and stopped half way across the line of the cycle path, so blocking inbound cyclists but not outbound. I slowed right down and passed her, trying to make eye contact to ensure she wasn't going to suddenly start moving. she was stopped to put her seat belt on, never once looked for cyclists and was startled by my presence when she noticed me. I think a raised crossing for cyclists which gives cyclists priority would be a huge step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No issues getting past that restaurant area safely this evening..

Loads of issues from other cyclists with lights on full power/strobe mode cycling on the 2 way cycle track towards me! Pls turn your lights from "road warrior" mode to low power when on a two way cycle track!

Not to mention the two A**holes who cycled two abreast at speed against me on a narrow curve in the cycle track where the pedestrian crossing is from the cycle track to the old Howth road...Pee-ricks the pair of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    No issues getting past that restaurant area safely this evening..

Loads of issues from other cyclists with lights on full power/strobe mode cycling on the 2 way cycle track towards me! Pls turn your lights from "road warrior" mode to low power when on a two way cycle track!

Not to mention the two A**holes who cycled two abreast at speed against me on a narrow curve in the cycle track where the pedestrian crossing is from the cycle track to the old Howth road...Pee-ricks the pair of them!

I had the exact same, around 18.50 or so heading back towards town from Sutton. Is it any surprise some motorists have such a low regard of cyclists when it is clear that some cyclists are purely only interested in themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I had the exact same, around 18.50 or so heading back towards town from Sutton. Is it any surprise some motorists have such a low regard of cyclists when it is clear that some cyclists are purely only interested in themselves

Yea it was around that time, maybe the same two cyclists? The were possibly club cyclists with all the gear from what I could see after their front lights almost blinded me!

Those palms at the bus depot are seriously pissing me off now. I reckon I'll head out one night with a clippers and chop em all back.

Can't wait till god knows when for the council to do it.

If they're gone, you'll know it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Those palms at the bus depot are seriously pissing me off now. I reckon I'll head out one night with a clippers and chop em all back.

Will you move that sandbag back too? Don't want those loops to catch my bars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

[I don't live in Clontarf anymore but...] I always felt there was no need for the bike lane to be so close the road. The road|footpath|bike-lane|grass|footpath|sea setup always encouraged those walking by the road to walk in the bike lane. If it were situated on the other side road|footpath|grass|bike-lane|footpath|sea, pedestrians would be less inclined to walk in the footpath. That's a long-running gripe of mine (particularly parents pushing buggies in the bike lane), but I figure similarly the problem at the Baths (which I haven't personally experienced) could be solved by the bike lane being closer to the sea than to the road.

maybe I missed it due to wind-powered speed on the corner, but it seemed to me that some of the palms were cut back at the sharp corner here today?

Wasn't me :pac:

maybe I missed it due to wind-powered speed on the corner, but it seemed to me that some of the palms were cut back at the sharp corner here today?

yep I had meant to post the same last night, definitely a few of them gone down to the stump!

yep I had meant to post the same last night, definitely a few of them gone down to the stump!

your first thought was "mrcheez actually did it" ?

your first thought was "mrcheez actually did it" ?

my first thought actually was "wasn't someone on boards threatening to do it?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

could have pruned back the overgrown bush on the other side of the bikelane while they were at it .... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Street lights from the causeway out to Sutton would be nice. Would help to see the dodgy man hole covers and divets in parts of the track.

See aswell at the section heading towards town at the car park at clontarf yacht club someone has thoughtfully left a few inches of a big rubble bag peeking out from behind the bushes that could catch a peddle

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

The palm trees cut back in clontarf has made a big improvement, fair play to them for tackling that quite quickly. Now to get the entrance to the Baths restaurant looked at. That is the main area needs to be addressed now. The area around the east link is a disaster but can't see a quick fix for that.

neris wrote: »
    See aswell at the section heading towards town at the car park at clontarf yacht club someone has thoughtfully left a few inches of a big rubble bag peeking out from behind the bushes that could catch a peddle

Why not stop and drag it back if it's in the way?

Or ask Sean Haughey to get someone to do it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

neris wrote: »
    Street lights from the causeway out to Sutton would be nice. Would help to see the dodgy man hole covers and divets in parts of the track.

That's a dodgy stretch from Blackbanks all the way to St Fintans school alright. The wall casts a big black shadow over the ground on the outbound lane and, combined with the glare of the oncoming traffic on your left, makes it hard to see. I have a Lezyne XL on full tilt pointing at the ground and it's still hard to see whats coming at you. Had a very close call/near miss with a ped walking towards me in the cycle lane there last winter - didn't see them until I was right in front of them (mind you, I don't know how they missed the fast moving christmas tree bearing down on them:rolleyes:).

Advertisement