Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

That's a dodgy stretch from Blackbanks all the way to St Fintans school alright. The wall casts a big black shadow over the ground on the outbound lane and, combined with the glare of the oncoming traffic on your left, makes it hard to see. I have a Lezyne XL on full tilt pointing at the ground and it's still hard to see whats coming at you. Had a very close call/near miss with a ped walking towards me in the cycle lane there last winter - didn't see them until I was right in front of them (mind you, I don't know how they missed the fast moving christmas tree bearing down on them:rolleyes:).

Ive had a few close calls over time with peds, other cyclists and the manhole covers along that stretch which is why I say lights are needed. Also theres weeds/mini bushes growing out of the wall so if you someone coming at you heading towards the city you dont know if your going to clip a branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

neris wrote: »
    Ive had a few close calls over time with peds, other cyclists and the manhole covers along that stretch which is why I say lights are needed. Also theres weeds/mini bushes growing out of the wall so if you someone coming at you heading towards the city you dont know if your going to clip a branch.

yeah those flowers look pretty for about a week in the year, then a frickin annoyance/nightmare for the other 51 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I already hear a few heads exploding in Clontsrf at the suggestion that street lighting should be installed blocking their view.

I already hear a few heads exploding in Clontsrf at the suggestion that street lighting should be installed blocking their view.

It's not Clontarf there.. more Sutton/Bayside ... I don't know if they are any more chilled out there though

mrcheez wrote: »
    It's not Clontarf there.. more Sutton/Bayside ... I don't know if they are any more chilled out there though

But they have to look at the sea while they pass in their 4x4s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

There's been lighting along the Clontarf promenade for a decade or so. And standard street-lights along the road. It's pretty nice too:

fog-at-clontarf-promenade-philip-mulhall.jpg

15639407781_0b497f6513_b.jpg
    But they have to look at the sea while they pass in their 4x4s.

Envy will get you nowhere.

Those lights wouldn't work on the Bayside stretch unless they stick them on the pedestrian path beside the road, which I doubt would be agreed to (also they would be a eye-level to the cyclists so would actually be more blinding than the car lights we currently have)

There's been lighting along the Clontarf promenade for a decade or so. And standard street-lights along the road. It's pretty nice too:

Envy will get you nowhere.

Good job on the photos of the section that has no cycling.

What am I meant to be envious about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

there they go digging up another stretch of the path this morning, let's hope they repair the surface properly as I fear a patchwork quilt effect before very long if they keep digging it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

there they go digging up another stretch of the path this morning, let's hope they repair the surface properly as I fear a patchwork quilt effect before very long if they keep digging it up.

It's quite dangerous where the have blocked the path, the lip that you have to mount is quite sharp. Not a great solution when sharing the space with pedestrians. It will be interesting to see how long they will be on site for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Where?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Where?

quite near to Bay restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

We get a-holes everywhere regardless of how they get around.

Reminds me I need to post the same on Twitter when I get shouted at by taxis saying I'm in their lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

cycling near Sutton yesterday and passed by some guy on what seemed like a moped but with pickup truck wide tyres on it, only saw it from behind. You'll see people with electric bikes on the cyclepath and scooters and electric monowheels,I often see some guy on a bike with big tubular tyres and petrol engine around Clontarf, he is ok, but I see shocked to see this moped thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

cycling near Sutton yesterday and passed by by some guy on what seemed like a moped but with pickup truck wide tyres on it, only say it from behind ? You'll see people with electic bikes on the cyclepath and scooters and electric monowheels,I oftern see some guy on a bike with big tubular tyres and petrol engine around Clontarf, he is ok, but I see shocked to see this moped thing.

If it's the same contraption I saw some weeks ago, I did especially notice it required no pedalling. It appears to be an electric bicycle that is flaunting the rules regarding pedalling. It had very large wheels and passed me in both directions, the second time at an estimated 30mph in the city direction. Shocking is an apt description ok., for people who are prepared to take the p1ss to this extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I saw a guy on a tiny wheel scooter the other day. I was doing 50 in the car and didn't keep up with him.

A lot of people get into groups (Not just pelotons, 6ish lads on folding bikes, 5 or 6 on Dublin bikes, erc) and they block the track for everyone. Especially oncoming traffic, I've had a few of them nearly cycle into me even when I've stopped and pulled in as far as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has there been any research done into how many people are using the route per day/week? I wonder have many taken to commuting it rather than driving to the CC? Be interesting to know if it has resulted in mor people cycling, especially as it is the first proper urban cycling route in the country.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has there been any research done into how many people are using the route per day/week? I wonder have many taken to commuting it rather than driving to the CC? Be interesting to know if it has resulted in mor people cycling, especially as it is the first proper urban cycling route in the country.

judging by how Annesley Bridge is practically 50% cyclists in the morning these days Id wager numbers have shot up

Muahahaha wrote: »

I'd love to see one of those counters placed on this route actually. anecdotally I'd say numbers are definitely up but would be helpful to back that up with stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Yeah I'd be interested to see those numbers too.

Any time I mention how great an amenity it is to the mother-in-law she bemoans the fact that it creates traffic jams when drivers want to turn off the road away from the coast and theres now no room to filter around them on the inside/outside due the to the bike lanes.

You have to wait a few seconds vs the incentive to cycle has increased massively for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

cycling near Sutton yesterday and passed by some guy on what seemed like a moped but with pickup truck wide tyres on it, only saw it from behind. You'll see people with electric bikes on the cyclepath and scooters and electric monowheels,I often see some guy on a bike with big tubular tyres and petrol engine around Clontarf, he is ok, but I see shocked to see this moped thing.
    Was it one of these
    https://sondors.com/products/sondors-x-eu-only
    It is street legal here but easy to modify to the US throttle which requires licence, tax and insurance. There is another similar one too which is basically the same design.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Was it one of these
    https://sondors.com/products/sondors-x-eu-only
    It is street legal here but easy to modify to the US throttle which requires licence, tax and insurance. There is another similar one too which is basically the same design.

the tubular wheeled bike I described looks like that buts pretty sure its a petrol engine.

I had a look at some of the fat-tired electric scooters online, but the thing I saw had more of a body then those and very high wing mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Legislation is coming for electric scooters, will be interesting to see what is proposed.

Personally, if it goes above 25km then I think it needs to stay off the track, but I'm ok with throttle controlled stuff. As long as it's driven consideratly but I hope that could go without saying. Petrol driven anything should only be on the road imo.

My main gripe with electric stuff is how little concern seems to be given by the people who have clearly delimited them. They seem have all of attitude of a bad motorist in a rush

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

site_owner wrote: »
    Personally, if it goes above 25km then I think it needs to stay off the track

You're right in that it's designed more for individuals and families etc to go for a leisurely cycle at the weekends, not for faster moving commuters etc.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/speeding-cyclists-in-clontarf-may-be-forced-to-slow-down-1.3419918

Although as I have experienced, the "attitude of a bad motorist in a rush" isn't exclusive to powered cyclists/scooters..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'd love to see one of those counters placed on this route actually. anecdotally I'd say numbers are definitely up but would be helpful to back that up with stats.

Yeah a counter would be great just to see the volume using it and how it changes from Mon-Fri to weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

site_owner wrote: »
    Legislation is coming for electric scooters, will be interesting to see what is proposed.

Personally, if it goes above 25km then I think it needs to stay off the track, but I'm ok with throttle controlled stuff. As long as it's driven consideratly but I hope that could go without saying. Petrol driven anything should only be on the road imo.

My main gripe with electric stuff is how little concern seems to be given by the people who have clearly delimited them. They seem have all of attitude of a bad motorist in a rush
    It already exists. The are considered motor vehicles end of. I was cycling doing 30kph yesterday and one flew by me and must have been doing 40kph at the least. Those tiny little wheels hitting a pothole at that speed will kill.
    Given all the restrictions on pedelecs there is no way electric scooters can be legally allowed on the roads or paths. All the rules on electric bicyles would also have to change. I really am thinking of writing to the garda heads to charge the TD who openly breaks the law using one.

Anyone know why the "Cycle Lane Closed" sign is still up?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

mrcheez wrote: »
    Anyone know why the "Cycle Lane Closed" sign is still up?!?

I think they were setting up this morning to do some more work. The lane was fine today apart from the sign on the lane

• Advertisement

Cionn wrote: »
    I think they were setting up this morning to do some more work. The lane was fine today apart from the sign on the lane

yeah they seem to be doing more work on a couple of the footpaths beside the cycle lane.

Advertisement