Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Let the gardai know, he'll be picked up and the bike seized quick enough once they get a few reports and figure out who he is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,767 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What are the chances of getting the small potholes filled around the Wooden bridge end of the old path? Didn't spot one due to an oncoming car's full headlights blinding me and went into it at full speed. No damage done, but could easily see that causing a mishap/wall collision one day?

Just submit it to the DCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

You can log it on fixmystreet.ie and it might get looked at. I know the one you are talking about and its there years so that might tell you the chances of it getting done...

hmm might be one to take up with the councillors once election time rolls around in a few months

There's a collection of small holes at that point rather than just one, though one of them is particularly large.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Ferris wrote: »
    I emailed Ciarán Cuffe about the state of the cycleway at 'The Baths' on Friday and he forwarded my query to Senior Exec. Engineer with responsibility for this. Ciaran forwarded me the response this morning.

In other words, don't hold your breath. Cannot, for the life of me, understand how a timescale for the resolution of this was not included in the planning authorisation. They did enough of that for the pool that nobody uses - why not for the heavily utilised cycleway?

Also thanks to Ciaran Cuffe for his customary quick response.

I have seen no progress on the entrance to the Baths. I had another issue of cars zipping in last week and its only going to get worse as the weather gets better. I am quoting the last comment about it above as the developer has now well and truly left the building. Does anybody know if there is anything planned for the entrance.

Cionn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Ridiculous state of affairs indeed. Christopher K Manzira, Senior Executive Engineer at the Environment and Transportation Department in DCC, is apparently responsible for this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The concrete stumps\bollards at the 'entrance' to the Baths car park are getting like the leaning tower of Pisa... one of them looks like it's hanging by a thread.
    I hope they are sturdier than they look and don't into the path of a passing vehicle \ bike.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The concrete stumps\bollards at the 'entrance' to the Baths car park are getting like the leaning tower of Pisa... one of them looks like it's hanging by a thread.
    I hope they are sturdier than they look and don't into the path of a passing vehicle \ bike.

I presume the idea is that they'll all eventually "fall over", giving easy access into the carpark there for cars. The council doesn't seem inclined to do it's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I presume the idea is that they'll all eventually "fall over", giving easy access into the carpark there for cars. The council doesn't seem inclined to do it's job.

Is that the councils job? I would have thought it was the responsibility of the restaurant owners. They didn't seem to want to open the pool as it cost money to do so. Similar situation with the bollards and parking area I would have thought.

Seems the posts opposite the bus depot have been replaced with smaller (safer?) posts.

I was counting the days until I collided with one of the old posts.

• Advertisement

Yeah its much better. Would be great to see a list of planned works and dates for the Cycleway.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Effects wrote: »
    Is that the councils job? I would have thought it was the responsibility of the restaurant owners. They didn't seem to want to open the pool as it cost money to do so. Similar situation with the bollards and parking area I would have thought.

I could be wrong but I think the council owns the carpark still.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

mrcheez wrote: »
    Seems the posts opposite the bus depot have been replaced with smaller (safer?) posts.

I was counting the days until I collided with one of the old posts.

I stopped by them today and gave them a little push - comforting to find out they are somewhat flexible ok. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I could be wrong but I think the council owns the carpark still.

there's a lot of discussion about this on Twitter lately. a condition of planning was the completion of the carpark with 15 spaces, including afaik the adequate finish of the cycle track and exit onto the roadway, all of which is clearly a complete mess at the moment.
    close to 30 cars have been counted parking there at various points.

railer201 wrote: »
    I stopped by them today and gave them a little push - comforting to find out they are somewhat flexible ok. :)

did ya push the bin bag back too? ;)

(been meaning to do that myself one day, keep forgetting)

did ya push the bin bag back too? ;)

(been meaning to do that myself one day, keep forgetting)

See who gets there first. :)

See who gets there first. :)

Gave it a tug there earlier but ended up ripping the bag so it's a permanent fixture unfortunately.

Prob belonging to the motorhome so perhaps knock on their door if ya fancy taking the next step ;)

Say you like dags.

Gave it a tug there earlier but ended up ripping the bag so it's a permanent fixture unfortunately.

Prob belonging to the motorhome so perhaps knock on their door if ya fancy taking the next step ;)

Say you like dags.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow - if that bag has handles, I'd be on for horsing it out of the way with assistance if anyone else wants to volunteer. I'm on that track around midday most days. Alternatively if someone wants to suggest another day and time I'll lend a hand.

I take no notice of it any longer but I think you're referring to the bag projecting on to the cycle track just by the slipway road, and it's been there for ages.

I take no notice of it any longer but I think you're referring to the bag projecting on to the cycle track just by the slipway road, and it's been there for ages.

That's the one. It's gradually piling up higher (no doubt added-to by the recent pole removal/installation), and definitely jutting further into the bike lane more than it has previously as it fills up more and more.

I tried the handles last night but once I heard the "riiiiip" sound, I stopped.

Only a matter of time before it topples over into the lane.

Maybe one for the council to check out?

That's the one. It's gradually piling up higher (no doubt added-to by the recent pole removal/installation), and definitely jutting further into the bike lane more than it has previously as it fills up more and more.

I tried the handles last night but once I heard the "riiiiip" sound, I stopped.

Only a matter of time before it topples over into the lane.

Maybe one for the council to check out?

Yea, best leave it to them ok., at least my pole bounced back into position. :D

I'm down there often, so I'll ask one of the bin lorry guys if they can either do something about it or pass the word on.

• Advertisement

Attached is DCC's idea of a 'solution' to the right of way issue at the Baths in Clontarf. This makes me so angry, making bikes on a continuously used cycleway give way to fat b*****ds on their way for a posh lunch. This was the easy option, and the one that most easily removes the responsibility for cyclist safety from DCC. So now we will have to look over our shoulder while approaching those poles and walls to look for cars which will have right of way.

I may be overreacting but I think that this is a preposterous solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What is the other solution? Having a segregated cycle lane means it is almost impossible that cars will be aware of cyclists if turning into or out of those junctions.

Of course the correct answer is to not allow parking at all in that spot but that ship appears to have sailed and if they want people to make use of the baths then there needs to be some parking.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What is the other solution?

A raised table crossing which gives priority to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I was going to send a complaint last week when I saw 2 cars almost take out 3 cyclists in a 30 second period. Neither of the 2 cars looked for cyclists and both accelerated across the bike lane without any care. This is dangerous already and will be worse now that the cars believe they have the right of way. I wonder if the risk assessment documentation for that can be requested.

What is the other solution?

A raised table crossing which gives priority to cyclists.
    How will that help? The issue isn't speed, its sight lines and expectations.

If a car is turning right from town across the traffic they are looking for traffic not cyclists coming from either direction.

It is safer for all concerned to take note of the dangers and be cautious. It's a yield, not a stop, so cyclists need to take care.

Cionn wrote: »
    I was going to send a complaint last week when I saw 2 cars almost take out 3 cyclists in a 30 second period. Neither of the 2 cars looked for cyclists and both accelerated across the bike lane without any care. This is dangerous already and will be worse now that the cars believe they have the right of way. I wonder if the risk assessment documentation for that can be requested.

Believe? Under those signs they do have the right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

How will that help? The issue isn't speed, its sight lines and expectations.

If a car is turning right from town across the traffic they are looking for traffic not cyclists coming from either direction.

It is safer for all concerned to take note of the dangers and be cautious. It's a yield, not a stop, so cyclists need to take care.

this is Dublin's flagship cycle route, it shouldn't have to yield for access to a private carpark. Cars turning in should yield, this is a pathetic solution. It's also a bad precedent, if there's one "cyclists yield" soon there will be more and it will end up like something in Galway.

• Advertisement

The same general idea yes, though with clear signage to indicate priority for cyclists.
    Another example below if it comes through, showing a distinct change in colour for the track. You keep the cyclists at the same level and force a change in level for the motorists to cross.

Mitchams4Table.jpg

Advertisement