Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

please tell me you gave feedback about eye level posters too :)

D6sf4fRW0AAXpY4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

site_owner wrote: »
    please tell me you gave feedback about eye level posters too :)

D6sf4fRW0AAXpY4.jpg

Damn, completely forgot about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,767 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Weren't there a few mins ago ...guess they took them down

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There was a lady on the town side of the wooden bridge this morning doing a behaviours & attitudes survey regarding the cycle track. Am pretty sure she said it was on behalf of the NTA.
    i'm curious as to the purpose of the questions - are the responses going to be used to decide on improvements to the track, or inform decisions about other potential cycle tracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

mrcheez wrote: »
    Weren't there a few mins ago ...guess they took them down

The signs or the poles? There's a post (sorry) on the Dublin Cycling Campaign FB page that says "Finally, after years of hazard, especially at night, the poles on the middle of the cycle track outside Clontarf baths have been removed. Who do we thank?"

• Advertisement

Sorry yeah completely forgot they took down the poles :D

Thought those eye level signs were on temporary poles or something

i'm curious as to the purpose of the questions - are the responses going to be used to decide on improvements to the track, or inform decisions about other potential cycle tracks?

As am I and I regret not pushing her more on that. She did take my contact details though and said that her boss may be in touch regarding validation etc so if that happens I'll ask for more detail.

She was only asking questions specifically about that track rather than more generally about cycling infrastructure & conditions. But again, whether they want to make improvements there or baseline for future developments I don't know.

They seem to have removed the ridiculous boulder that was blocking the pathway between pedestrian and bike lane at the causeway junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I live in South Dublin and was so enthusiastic about S2S. I know there have been issues on the North Side but something has been achieved and I get the impression it's been helped by local lobbying.
    Nothing on the southern section. Now I really hope our minister for cycle frugality Ross is not going to do a big photo shoot for Vilo City. He has been the worst modern minister for transport regarding cycling. I would love him to take the other Vilo politicians on a spin beyond the merrion gates in Booterstown. They might not all survive but I suppose that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I live in South Dublin and was so enthusiastic about S2S. I know there have been issues on the North Side but something has been achieved and I get the impression it's been helped by local lobbying.
    Nothing on the southern section. Now I really hope our minister for cycle frugality Ross is not going to do a big photo shoot for Vilo City. He has been the worst modern minister for transport regarding cycling. I would love him to take the other Vilo politicians on a spin beyond the merrion gates in Booterstown. They might not all survive but I suppose that's the point.

• Advertisement

work wrote: »

I and several people on this thread got in touch with local councillors and it appeared to have sped things up a bit, so perhaps try that and try to get more people to contact them about it.

Maybe start a new thread for the southside and keep pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

The bushes growing out of the wall from black banks to the kilbarrack road are great fun especially when people heading towards town won't move out of the lane so you can move out from the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I see the Climate Action Plan 2019 includes (on Page 50):
    Action 97: Commence full implementation of the National Cycle Policy Framework
    • Every local authority to set forth a clear pathway and timetable
      for the installation of dedicated cycling infrastructure Q4 2020
    • Increase funding in dedicated cycling infrastructure Q4 2020
    • Current transport infrastructure programmes to immediately
      be revised to achieve at least 10% expenditure on facilitating
      cycling Q4 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

neris wrote: »
    The bushes growing out of the wall from black banks to the kilbarrack road are great fun especially when people heading towards town won't move out of the lane so you can move out from the wall

That section's not great. Badly lit at night, and if it's not the bushes then it's the pile of crud that's blown in and not been swept.

Maybe we all club together on one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I see the Climate Action Plan 2019 includes (on Page 50):

More painted lines on the road and cycle paths designed to keep bicycle users out of the way of motorised transport...

mrcheez wrote: »

Maybe start a new thread for the southside and keep pushing it.

The most active thread on the southside section of the S2S is at https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057651544

The S2S group has continued to lobby for a fully coastal route from Ringsend to Sandycove but the NTA are pushing an inland version south of Merrion Gates and the recent Bus-Connect proposals for Blackrock to Merrion incorporates this.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Seems to have been missed a bit on this thread but great work done to improve the Alfie Byrne cycleway recently. Technically it's not part of the S2S I suppose but many people pass directly from one to the other on their commutes or spins. DCC and IBike and everyone else involved in the recent kerfuffle with coach parking really deserve praise on this one.

The new monkey bar installations are great too... gotta work the upper body after all the leg exercise :)

Technically it's not part of the S2S I suppose but many people pass directly from one to the other on their commutes or spins.

AFAIK it is part of the S2S (which has now been absorbed into the East Coast Trail). The Fairview to Amiens Street scheme is one of a number of orbital commuter routes but the S2S is intended to follow Dublin Bay as closely as possible by going along the East Wall Road, across the Liffey beside the East Link, through Ringsend and then out to Merrion and beyond.

I can never understand why DCC haven't progressed the East Wall section as there is a wide underused footpath along much of it. An alternative proposal madre here that had a lot of benefits was to run it along the perimiter of East Point and to emerge beyond the dangerous Port Tunnel access road.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm at a loss on that one also, the footpaths on East wall rd are massive! Though think of all the free parking spaces that would be lost as a result :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yeah I'm at a loss on that one also, the footpaths on East wall rd are massive! Though think of all the free parking spaces that would be lost as a result :rolleyes:

That whole area on E Wall road at the petrol station and Aldi is a complete disaster, lethal for cycling, trying to squeeze through that area, avoid exiting traffic, position yourself at the traffic signals with a bunch of vehicles behind you, and having to get into the right lane for turning while avoiding speeding cars.

A Danish or Dutch person would take a heart attack just looking at it! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Isn't it illegal to park on a footpath?

it is. in theory, however much that is put into practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Isn't it illegal to park on a footpath?

There's even a car mechanics located on the path on that road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Had the pleasure of cycling from ringsend out to Dalkey yesterday at lunch. They need to get a grip with the south section of this - given there is a Dart line running all the way along the coast from the Merrion Gates, how hard would it be to simply build a boardwalk style path on the sea side of this from Booterstown to accomodate, bikes, walkers, joggers etc? As the Dart is there, environmental / nature impacts is just nimby stuff. It would be a remarkable facility, akin to what is in many other cities. It would re-open that section of coast, which is severly cut off by the Dart. Turning it in land at Merrion Gates is the greatest wasted opportunity ever. I'm sure these arguments are done to death, but they really need to look at the big picture here.

[as an aside, i've often read comments about how bad the N11 cycle lane is, didn't fully appreciate them until I rodeit yesterday. Holy sh1t, it is unbelievably crap - mainly the surface (wouldn't be tolerated by motorists), but also all the other well documented bits and bobs that make it a shambles]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Apply Pressure Here

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone's seen or heard of updates in relation to the Portmarnok-Baldoyle Greenway?

I can't find anything!

Thanks.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/300840.htm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone's seen or heard of updates in relation to the Portmarnok-Baldoyle Greenway?

I can't find anything!

Thanks.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/300840.htm

This from the Fingal Independent at the end of March:

"The largest tranche of (NTA) funding, totalling €1.35m, was allocated towards the extension of the S2S Sandycove to Sutton cycle route further north into Fingal, which will form the southern section of the Fingal Coastal Way. Contractors are due on site this year to move forward with the Baldoyle-Portmarnock Coastal Route element, while a planning application to continue the route to Malahide is due later in the year."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Apply Pressure Here

Read on the above that work cannot be done between November and April. Haven’t seen anything going on in the area which doesn’t fill me with confidence it’ll be done by then.

Advertisement