Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Croobum

So looks like we won't have to worry so much about cars driving up on the new bike lane. It's pedestrians (joggers/dog-walkers especially) that will take ownership of the new lane... already seeing people using it for this purpose despite the bollards up and I can sort of understand why they think it's for walkers considering the width.

I reckon it will be a matter of weeks by the time we hear of the first cyclist caught in a dog-lead on this stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Croobum wrote: »
    So looks like we won't have to worry so much about cars driving up on the new bike lane. It's pedestrians (joggers/dog-walkers especially) that will take ownership of the new lane... already seeing people using it for this purpose despite the bollards up and I can sort of understand why they think it's for walkers considering the width.

I reckon it will be a matter of weeks by the time we hear of the first cyclist caught in a dog-lead on this stretch.

Which new bike lane?

The one from wooden bridge to the causeway was initially used by joggers/dags back when it opened but it seems to have gotten better over time and rarely will you see non-cyclists on it.

Electro scooters are the new thing, but at least they seem to be narrow and keep left in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Apply Pressure Here

Am I missing something? Where is the entrance to this? I've not seen any works going on in the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭comanche_cor

mrcheez wrote: »
    Electro scooters are the new thing, but at least they seem to be narrow and keep left in my experience.

No issue with the scooters - they are just like another cyclist. No big deal in my books.

Ran long the section opposite st annes park on Sunday - it was an eye opener for me!

The path is quiet narrow and runners have to step down off the path once the meet another runner / walker. I am surprised that there has not been more accidents cause by people stepping down into the path of a cyclist without having looked over their shoulder (it is impossible to hear a cyclist coming).

I know that I will be keeping more of an eye out of the runners / walkers when on that section from here on out ..

No issue with the scooters - they are just like another cyclist. No big deal in my books.

Ran long the section opposite st annes park on Sunday - it was an eye opener for me!

The path is quiet narrow and runners have to step down off the path once the meet another runner / walker. I am surprised that there has not been more accidents cause by people stepping down into the path of a cyclist without having looked over their shoulder (it is impossible to hear a cyclist coming).

I know that I will be keeping more of an eye out of the runners / walkers when on that section from here on out ..

Indeed, the placement of the street lights at some points on the pedestrian path (particularly as you approach Wongs) almost force you to walk out onto the bike lane unless you manage to squeeze by

One of the bus stop sections has a bin that again forces you out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Good news....

https://www.thejournal.ie/construction-begins-greenway-north-dublin-4738584-Jul2019/?utm_source=shortlink

As usual, don't venture down into the comments until you're feeling brave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Duckjob wrote: »
    Good news....

https://www.thejournal.ie/construction-begins-greenway-north-dublin-4738584-Jul2019/?utm_source=shortlink

As usual, don't venture down into the comments until you're feeling brave

Actually not bad, you'd expect worse..

About time this area had a safe place for bicycle and foot traffic, i've only been brave enough to cycle the section between Baldoyle-Portmarnock and vice-versa if it's a quiet Sunday morning and/or I have a strong wind behind me so I can get through that road quicker..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Actually not bad, you'd expect worse..

About time this area had a safe place for bicycle and foot traffic, I've only been brave enough to cycle the section between Baldoyle-Portmarnock and vice-versa if it's a quiet Sunday morning and/or I have a strong wind behind me so I can get through that road quicker..

I'm so happy this is finally getting done. The current situation is crazy with no safe pedestrian access to Portmarnock from Clongriffin/Baldoyle. I'm surprised nobody has being killed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Video of the new path - https://youtu.be/T2LoCvWeylk

https://youtu.be/T2LoCvWeylk?t=39

they even managed to include a pedestrian on the virtual bike path X)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Very interesting!
    Two things:
    I wonder where it starts, just after the Roundabout in Baldoyle?
    It's a pity there's a wall between the road and the new tracks for the first part of it .i. up to Moyne Rd. A fence, as they have on the second section, would be better I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I wonder where it starts, just after the Roundabout in Baldoyle?
    There's a bike path around some of the roundabout already (on the left northbound), then a driveway entrance, starts there.
    The path is kinda already visible on Google maps satellite view

https://youtu.be/T2LoCvWeylk?t=39

they even managed to include a pedestrian on the virtual bike path X)

Up the realism a bit. I'm surprised they didn't stick a white van and a taxi with their hazards on in there too

Up the realism a bit. I'm surprised they didn't stick a white van and a taxi with their hazards on in there too

I could be wrong but it looks like a daddy and toddler on a trike. Marking their territory already. Lycra wearing Mamils breaking speed records and riding the Tour de Frans aren't welcome here.

I could be wrong but it looks like a daddy and toddler on a trike. Marking their territory already. Lycra wearing Mamils breaking speed records and riding the Tour de Frans aren't welcome here.

I wouldn't take that from it TBF. I just read it as promoting the idea of "biking for all".

People wont be able to fly where there's a lot of other people and kids on it - that's just how it is (and should be IMO)

I wouldn't take that from it TBF. I just read it as promoting the idea of "biking for all".

People wont be able to fly where there's a lot of other people and kids on it - that's just how it is (and should be IMO)

My comment was just being sarcastic.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean anything and they were the only 3D models available to the artist at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

idvmnp.jpg

My reading of it is a guy standing beside his bike admiring the view!

I'd be a bit more worried about how it ends near Portmarnock and how it will link into the next section to Malahide.

idvmnp.jpg

My reading of it is a guy standing beside his bike admiring the view!

I'd be a bit more worried about how it ends near Portmarnock and how it will link into the next section to Malahide.

Perhaps spending a penny? Something about his attitude...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I have the same concern. It’s either the poxy backroads with the hidden bends towards the Malahide road or up through Portmarnock village and along the coast which is marginally better. No problem for myself but I’d love to be able to get to Malahide castle with the kids in the trailer. It’s just too risky but.

There was a proposal for a cycleway to swords that was voted down as the FF/FG/Lab councilors wouldn’t back as it required CPO’s. Hopefully with the greener outlook it’ll be proposed again and passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

There seems to be a small stretch at the end near the roundabout, say about 50 - 100 metres.

Seems to me like a recipe for a disaster there.

• Advertisement

From the look of ariel views going through Portmarnock, coming southbound, there's a path on the beach running behind the hotel. Then once you get to the hotel, there's enough room on the main street to make a cycle path (I assume those green areas outside the houses are public property). That gets you as far as the school where it gets too narrow for about 500m. Then you have the nature reserve on the left so plenty of space again.

So you need:
    1. A route from the beach to the road (is that hotel land, part of the golf course?)
    2. A compromise route through the narrow section.
    3. The ducks to give over a few meters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd imagine there will be a pedestrian/bike crossing of the road there to join up with the next section going through the duck park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I was passing through fairview park last week and there was a sign up about removing the cycle path through the park.
    Saw the guys doing the work on it on Friday and asked them. I had presumed they were forcing people to use the bike path on the outside of the park.
    They said the path through the park will now be shared between cyclist and pedestrians, so that if a child gets hit by a cyclist it's the cyclists fault and the council can't be blamed.

So, no change from the way it's always been then

Except pedestrians used to shout at cyclists while both were in the cycle lane. Pedestrians will think they have even more right to walk where they want now.

Up to them. Get in the way get hit, pretty simples.

Not that simple in practice though.

Up to them. Get in the way get hit, pretty simples.
    You a taxi driver?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    You a taxi driver?

Just a realist buddy.

People using the path will be aware of bikes on the path. If they walk blindly into the path of a bike then they are taking their lives into their own hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I'm not thrilled about the change to the bike lane either but that's a terrible attitude.

Advertisement