Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I wonder is it deliberate in order to slow down cyclists?

yup

I also love the dirty looks you get when cycling on the LHS from people running on the RHS ... sure don't you know the "shared space" rule only counts for pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

marvin42 wrote: »
    i did cycle parts of it during the holidays, and love it. Cant wait to see it open for all public!

There were quite a few using it over the weekend , mainly walkers but cyclists too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Oberkon wrote: »
    There were quite a few using it over the weekend , mainly walkers but cyclists too

I tried to get on it last Friday from Portmarnock end but was no easy way through so had to run the gauntlet on the main road instead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I tried to get on it last Friday from Portmarnock end but was no easy way through so had to run the gauntlet on the main road instead :(

I must try it -I pass it a lot
    The only thing that that went through my mind as I was on the road cycling past , was there’s bound to be a few muppets in cars who will spot lads on bikes on it and give you the ‘ Use the cycle lane ‘ abuse you sometimes get !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

At the entrance to fairview park 'care and share' path some genius has decided to plonk a great big planting box. So you swing through the antique gate (if they bothered to open it that morning) negotiating the usual layer of slick leaves that they leave there and within five or six feet there's a huge wooden box taking up about half the shared path which you have to swing around again.
    I wonder is it deliberate in order to slow down cyclists?

I spoke with council workers about it. Yes, it's a deliberate measure to slow cyclists down. They'll also be adding more of them along the path.

They said if you slip on the leaves, while turning to go around the planter, then you're going too fast and it's your own fault.

They said they have also started opening that gate earlier in the morning, and the reason it wasn't opened previously was because cyclists were going too fast during rush hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Effects wrote: »
    I spoke with council workers about it. Yes, it's a deliberate measure to slow cyclists down. They'll also be adding more of them along the path.

They said if you slip on the leaves, while turning to go around the planter, then you're going too fast and it's your own fault.

They said they have also started opening that gate earlier in the morning, and the reason it wasn't opened previously was because cyclists were going too fast during rush hour.

I'm glad they're using the wet leaves as a traffic calming measure.
    I don't know what the big fear of speeding cyclists is about, the only issues I've seen have been when dogs are off the leash and running across the path.

I found it actually isn't such a problem if you swing around the right side of it and was able to keep similar momentum as before. Obviously if there are people approaching I would slow to a crawl, but if the route is clear, then just take a wide turn and it's as if nothing has changed.

I can't wait for them to add planters to the traffic lanes to slow down the speeding motorists.
    I don't know what the big fear of speeding cyclists is about

AFAIK it was one vulnerable pedestrian (elderly or disabled) who complained about nearly being hit by a cyclist going too fast / cutting across their path as they entered the path. A dick move by that one cyclist without doubt but iirc one complaint resulted in the gates being closed at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wait until the first court case about that and they will change their tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Wait until the first court case about that and they will change their tune.
    Then the gates will be permanently closed to cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Then the gates will be permanently closed to cyclists.

But not all entrances. So then what? If it isn't illegal to cycle in the park, which it isn't, then DCC have a duty of care to ensure it is safe. Cleaning up leaves would fall under that remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

AFAIK it was one vulnerable pedestrian (elderly or disabled) who complained about nearly being hit by a cyclist going too fast / cutting across their path as they entered the path. A dick move by that one cyclist without doubt but iirc one complaint resulted in the gates being closed at rush hour.
    Wow, I can't wait to see what action they'll take when I complain about how drivers kill more than 40 pedestrians each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Has there been any progress on the redesign of that park? There was a plan to realign the cycle path and add a coffeee shop by the playground a few months back

If anyone who cycles this route gets someone on the door looking for votes, I'd suggest asking them to cut down the trees opposite the bus depot as it's a major accident waiting to happen (particularly at the corner).

There's a mirror there, but I doubt it gets much use

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3585517,-6.1904467,3a,75y,143.73h,92.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfAtRewdj3AZugLc9ArIsSw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 14,266 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

are they still going ahead with the plans to put cycle lanes through Fairview? Such a wide road and they can't put a segregated cycle lane coming out of town. It's an absolute disaster every evening for cyclists, I'm surprised people aren't killed there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

mrcheez wrote: »
    If anyone who cycles this route gets someone on the door looking for votes, I'd suggest asking them to cut down the trees opposite the bus depot as it's a major accident waiting to happen (particularly at the corner).

There's a mirror there, but I doubt it gets much use

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3585517,-6.1904467,3a,75y,143.73h,92.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfAtRewdj3AZugLc9ArIsSw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I was hit by a car crossing the track about five years ago, but it was at the other entrance about 25m to the left of the one in the image. A few bruises only so not really a major one. I do agree - the trees should be removed.

Came across the aftermath of a spill down towards the Sutton end last night. The person on the ground was being looked after by several cyclists, who seemed to have everything under control. 'hope everyone was ok

Came across the aftermath of a spill down towards the Sutton end last night. The person on the ground was being looked after by several cyclists, who seemed to have everything under control. 'hope everyone was ok

So the Baths has put in a new planning application to increase their parking spaces. Not plans online yet, just the text.
    Given how they twist the planning approved for them, I'd imagine the 40 bike parking spaces will just end up being extra car parking spaces.
    The proposed development will consist of the reconfiguration and upgrading of the existing surface car park to provide for 33 no. car parking spaces (including 2 no. disability spaces), a loading space and 40 no. bicycle parking spaces. The reconfigured car park and access road will be a one way vehicular system, with the vehicular entrance at the existing eastern access to the site from Clontarf Road and the vehicular exit at the existing western access from Clontarf Road. The existing cycleway located along the north of the site will also reconfigured, upgraded and improved in terms of safety across the extent of the site. Permission is also sought for a new internally illuminated, green standing sign (c.4.5m x c.1.9m) located on the northern boundary to Clontarf Road; landscaping and new street lighting to serve the car parking area.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So the Baths has put in a new planning application to increase their parking spaces. Not plans online yet, just the text.
    Given how they twist the planning approved for them, I'd imagine the 40 bike parking spaces will just end up being extra car parking spaces.

And the 33 parking spaces will end up being 50 or 60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Can anyone object to this application?

juicer wrote: »

Yes. Also if you don't lodge an observation / objection during this period, you then don't have the right to appeal to An Bord Pleanala.

juicer wrote: »

Yeah, for a small fee. €20 or so.

Curious, how do ye envision the new works will affect the current bike lane?

I.e. what do you think will be the objectionable points?

I want to see vehicle traffic having to yield to cyclists. Maybe that means the lane needs to move away from the road. Similar to the car park at the bus depot.
    I don't trust them at all when they say they want 40 bike parking spaces, and feel they are just trying to get more parking spaces without applying for them.
    They're already in breech of their original planning by not opening the swimming baths to the public, a condition of their permission.

I want to see vehicle traffic having to yield to cyclists. Maybe that means the lane needs to move away from the road. Similar to the car park at the bus depot.
    I don't trust them at all when they say they want 40 bike parking spaces, and feel they are just trying to get more parking spaces without applying for them.
    They're already in breech of their original planning by not opening the swimming baths to the public, a condition of their permission.

And already in breach of their original planning by not reconfiguring the carpark to contain 15 marked spaces only.

They've mentioned the below, but who knows what it means without drawings being available as yet.
    The existing cycleway located along the north of the site will also reconfigured, upgraded and improved in terms of safety across the extent of the site.

Planning application available here for whenever the docs are uploaded.

And already in breach of their original planning by not reconfiguring the carpark to contain 15 marked spaces only.

Ah sure why bother doing that when they plan to apply to increase the overall number anyway.

Cycle path at the bus depot:
    pWnyXb8.png

Cycle path at the baths:
    VRVqbZC.png

• Advertisement

And what needs to be done on top of moving the track in a bit, is to raise the level of the cycle track so you don't have the dips like you do at the bus depot. So the cycle track becomes the continuous route, raised above the level of the car-park with very clear signage indicating right of way for the cycle track and the level change further reinforcing the point.

I'll try to write up my observation for it over the weekend, people will be welcome to use / critique etc.

Advertisement