Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Walking the other day near Dollymount and decided to stay on the S2S as there were more people down the Bull Wall. The footpath section is actually quite narrow so when I went to pass someone walking towards me, I checked over my shoulder and briefly stepped onto the cyclepath as we passed. I was greeted by a loud roar from a cyclist heading towards Sutton. He was back a bit, there were no other cyclists around and he made a point of moving over to the wrong side of the cyclepath as he passed.
    On a different thread I recently complained about some pedestrians staying on a cyclepath to avoid other pedestrians but this was quite different. For those who still regularly use the S2S, please make some allowance for pedestrians trying to maintain a social distance. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Walking the other day near Dollymount and decided to stay on the S2S as there were more people down the Bull Wall. The footpath section is actually quite narrow so when I went to pass someone walking towards me, I checked over my shoulder and briefly stepped onto the cyclepath as we passed. I was greeted by a loud roar from a cyclist heading towards Sutton. He was back a bit, there were no other cyclists around and he made a point of moving over to the wrong side of the cyclepath as he passed.
    On a different thread I recently complained about some pedestrians staying on a cyclepath to avoid other pedestrians but this was quite different. For those who still regularly use the S2S, please make some allowance for pedestrians trying to maintain a social distance. Thanks.

I think the pedestrians need to keep well clear of (what is to all intents and purposes) a busy road. Obviously I'm conscious of people stepping into the lane and make sure to give a wide berth when passing (unfortunately can't give the 1.5m, but close enough to it) but then I see parents letting their children run up and down the lane with their back to oncoming bikes and then showing a wry smile of "disapproval" at their kids when I almost knock into them.

Everyone needs to keep well away from the partition line at all times regardless of whether they are using their feet or their wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

mrcheez wrote: »
    unless it was aimed directly into your mouth as someone passed this is unlikely to happen...unless of course you're licking the pavement on the bike path
    SARS-CoV-2 remained viable in aerosols throughout the duration of our experiment (3 hours), with a reduction in infectious titer from 103.5 to 102.7 TCID50 per liter of air. This reduction was similar to that observed with SARS-CoV-1, from 104.3 to 103.5 TCID50 per milliliter (Figure 1A).
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

Anyone know if 360 Cycles are still open these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Should be yeah, bike shops in general should be open though they might obviously alter exactly how they do business. Have you tried calling them, they're usually open from 11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

PAssed it this morning and it looked clsoed

Should be yeah, bike shops in general should be open though the might obviously alter exactly how they do business. Have you tried calling them, they're usually open from 11?

yeah didn't realise it was 11am... enough room in that shop to keep 2m distance I reckon :pac:

yeah didn't realise it was 11am... enough room in that shop to keep 2m distance I reckon :pac:

I was in there last Thursday evening collecting my smart trainer (to keep me sane during this period!) and they'd blocked off the waiting area from inside the door, so you could only access the front part of the shop.
    I expect they've made it more restrictive since then, maybe even just meeting people at the door itself and having customers queue outside.

I was in there last Thursday evening collecting my smart trainer (to keep me sane during this period!) and they'd blocked off the waiting area from inside the door, so you could only access the front part of the shop.
    I expect they've made it more restrictive since then, maybe even just meeting people at the door itself and having customers queue outside.

yep pretty much, you now queue outside door and down the street... pay while standing on the patio at the front.

All very efficient which is to be expected from 360 :)

The weeds along the stretch from Bayside to Sutton have started their inevitable untouched growth which will mean the cycle lane is reduced to one lane for next few months.

Obviously this is more of an issue now seeing as the pedestrian lane is now packed more than ever.

Who do I contact to cut these back? Do I need a photo? I don't normally head out with my phone or camera.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I assume that it would be under Fingal Co Co's jurisdiction.
    However, report it using www.fixyourstreet.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Fingal county council not sure there offices are open atm. I went along there for the first time in a month the other day and think for the moment its best to only go on it early in the morning

Councils are still providing maintenance services AFAIK.

I assume that it would be under Fingal Co Co's jurisdiction.
    However, report it using www.fixyourstreet.ie

Alrighty, submitted. Wonder if they'll act on it.

Regardless of the pandemic lockdown, one would wonder if any maintenance to cycling infrastructure is given much consideration by the councils but good luck with it.

Regardless of the pandemic lockdown, one would wonder if any maintenance to cycling infrastructure is given much consideration by the councils but good luck with it.

Saw a chap out there this morning starting to cut them back on the Sutton stretch.

I gave him a wave and shouted "Thank you" which he acknowledged so the system works!

Will probably take a day or so to complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I reported the pot holes at the entrance to the car park across from the bus depot last week. Hard to avoid them when heading towards town.

513577.jpg

A bit north of S2S but good news today that the Broadmeadow Way from Malahide Castle to Newbridge House has been approved by Bord Pleanala. Hopefully it will now move on to the detail design and tender stage.

A bit north of S2S but good news today that the Broadmeadow Way from Malahide Castle to Newbridge House has been approved by Bord Pleanala. Hopefully it will now move on to the detail design and tender stage.

That's brilliant. I'm really hoping this gets built in the next few years, I could cycle with the family out to see my brother in Donabate!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sorry for o/t but do 23c tyres ever go down between the planks on the Bull Island bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Thargor wrote: »
    Sorry for o/t but do 23c tyres ever go down between the planks on the Bull Island bridge?

Not for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It's more that the planks get slippy went wet and this can cause wheels to skid. Dublin Port own the bridge and bull wall so they're arse covering by banning cycling on it. Right of access to the golf club is actually via the causeway as the bridge is closed every year by the port to maintain control and prevent rights of way.

I see they seem to have stopped the good progress being made on the path clearing. What are the bets some local got very uppity and filed a complaint about the "lovely flowers" being uprooted?

I see they seem to have stopped the good progress being made on the path clearing. What are the bets some local got very uppity and filed a complaint about the "lovely flowers" being uprooted?

Given the butchering exercise they undertook last year beyond the causeway, personally I'd be very wary about clearance works they're undertaking and would be inclined to ensure they were taking a far more measured approach. Call that uppity if you like.

FWIW I didn't contact anyone about it but things aren't always as black and white as made out above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Yes they do, I had a bad accident there last year. Coming from the main road it starts off OK, then about 2/3 of the way in there are serious gaps.

Given the butchering exercise they undertook last year beyond the causeway, personally I'd be very wary about clearance works they're undertaking and would be inclined to ensure they were taking a far more measured approach. Call that uppity if you like.

FWIW I didn't contact anyone about it but things aren't always as black and white as made out above.

They were doing a fine job so far, so there's no reason to stop and no butchering to be found as far I could tell.

Perhaps they had a limit of "see how much you can do in one day" on it.

The recent positive decision by Bord Pleanala on the Broadmeadow Way may also have positive implications for the completion of the S2S on the southside. A lot of the negativity up to now about running the Greenway along the coast south of Merrion Gates was based on the assumption that it would not be permitted because it adjoined the Dublin Bay SAC and NPA. As pointed out on the S2S website, there are a lot of similarities between what has been approved at Broadmeadows and what could be provided between Merrion and Sandycove.
    https://s2s.ie/malahide-estuary-important-decision-by-an-bord-pleanala/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Also good news about getting from Donabate north, towards Rush and Lusk

Just got notification that the new car parking at the Baths has received planning permission (unless there's an appeal). The "totem" sign and two parking spaces have been conditioned out and the entrance and exits have to be revised in line with the Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets and agreed with DCC . I'm not familiar enough with DMURS to know if major changes will be required including straightening out the proposed kink in the cycle path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Just got notification that the new car parking at the Baths has received planning permission (unless there's an appeal). The "totem" sign and two parking spaces have been conditioned out and the entrance and exits have to be revised in line with the Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets and agreed with DCC . I'm not familiar enough with DMURS to know if major changes will be required including straightening out the proposed kink in the cycle path.

I also objected to the application, including on the issue of the cycle lane reconfiguration, and just checked the planning file and see the below from the Council's Road Department observation:
    Prior to the lodgement of the application, the applicant engaged with the Sustainable Mobility Project Team of the Environment and Transport Department concerning the proposed design of the cycle route that traverses the site. This application was referred to said team for comment and in the context of the cycle route, they have no objections to the design set out in this application.

If the Council's road department had already signed off on it, I'd be surprised if any major changes (including the removal of the kink) would be required to meet DMURS. Which is disappointing.

Advertisement