Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I was using the new Baldoyle -> Portmarnock section and noticed that there are no (as far as I could see) bike sensors in the surface approaching the lights at the Moyne Road junction (and, I presume, at the Portmarnock end of the cycleway). This means you have stop and press the begging button and wait for the next cycle of the lights (because motor traffic comes first, of course).
    Surely it wouldn't have been much extra cost to add loop sensors for bikes and motion sensors for pedestrians to have the lights change when bikes/pedestrians are approaching the junction(s)? One for the upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Type 17 wrote: »
    I was using the new Baldoyle -> Portmarnock section and noticed that there are no (as far as I could see) bike sensors in the surface approaching the lights at the Moyne Road junction (and, I presume, at the Portmarnock end of the cycleway). This means you have stop and press the begging button and wait for the next cycle of the lights (because motor traffic comes first, of course).
    Surely it wouldn't have been much extra cost to add loop sensors for bikes and motion sensors for pedestrians to have the lights change when bikes/pedestrians are approaching the junction(s)? One for the upgrade?

I don't think I've seen lights that change for bikes or pedestrians automatically anywhere before? On the planet I mean

mrcheez wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen lights that change for bikes or pedestrians automatically anywhere before? On the planet I mean

There are a good few bike-loop sensors in bike lanes in Dublin. Here's an example in Blackrock - see the double loop in black just before the stop line of the bike lane (partially-obscured by the traffic light pole). There's another at the Clonskeagh exit from UCD, but the Google street view image is from 2018 and doesn't show it.

They may not change the light instantly, but they let the light controller know that there's a bike/pedestrian waiting, and so the bike and/or pedestrian sequence is included in the sequence, rather than being skipped.
    Other pedestrian crossings have motion sensors to detect if pedestrians are actually standing waiting for a green man, or the button was pressed, but the person kept walking. Here's an article about them, but I'm not sure if there are any in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

There's loads for bikes along the Grand Canal cycle track.

I've never seen a pedestrian version though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There are a good few bike-loop sensors in bike lanes in Dublin. Here's an example in Blackrock - see the double loop in black just before the stop line of the bike lane (partially-obscured by the traffic light pole).
    i've not spotted them before - i assume used there specifically because it's a contra flow cycle lane on a one way road, so no other traffic coming the direction a cyclist would be.

• Advertisement

i've not spotted them before - i assume used there specifically because it's a contra flow cycle lane on a one way road, so no other traffic coming the direction a cyclist would be.

The UCD bike sensor is beside the bigger, car ones (regular road, not contra-flow bike lane), and I've seen others like that (but can't think where right now).

Weird maybe it's a southside thing...

In which case geroff this thread!! ;)

...Other pedestrian crossings have motion sensors to detect if pedestrians are actually standing waiting for a green man, or the button was pressed, but the person kept walking. Here's an article about them, but I'm not sure if there are any in Ireland.

Actually, I noticed that the very lights I passed the other day (see above) has the sensor shown in the CNN article - looks like Dun Laoghaire Rathdown traffic lights are ahead of the game at detecting bikes.

2c9qNmm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

And here was me thinking those were the Five Gee.

Stark wrote: »
    And here was me thinking those were the Five Gee.

Can't be, I stood there a minute or two, and I haven't contracted Covid :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Looks like they have installed one of those bike counter thingies on the cycle path at the turn off for Baldoyle.

Looks like they have installed one of those bike counter thingies on the cycle path at the turn off for Baldoyle.

Bike counter?

Bike counter?

Like this

8jhOKvG.jpg

It's not operational yet but that's what it looks like. It's a grey pillar with a bike symbol on it and there are lines on the ground for what looks like sensors which I'm guessing will register how many bikes have passed over it. Could be wrong as I only noticed it as I flew by! Will stop and take a better look next time.

No, you're right, it is a counter, and there are diamond-shaped loops in the surface to detect bikes.

Like this

Kinda like that but not as tall I don't think. Wasn't on so didn't notice the display.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they had their act together, those things should also display wind direction and speed. that's of more concern to most cyclists.

if they had their act together, those things should also display wind direction and speed. that's of more concern to most cyclists.

Yep, a message that says : "Headwind - take the Howth Road":p

• Registered Users Posts: 82,679 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A couple of low tech drinking water fountains along the route to replenish water would be a good idea, there's at least 1 in Howth.

A toilet stop would be handy too :D

I usually have to hold it until I get to Malahide!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭feelings

Hard to have 'nice' things, like water fountains, in this country.

The three along the coast between Portmarnock and Malahide are regularly vandalised. I've lost count how many times I have rang Fingal to fix them.
    A couple of low tech drinking water fountains along the route to replenish water would be a good idea, there's at least 1 in Howth.

Stopped and took a pic this morning. It's a bit neater than some of the other ones Ive seen.

Wonder do the sensors 'see' carbon bikes as the traffic light ones certainly don't!

520181.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Wonder do the sensors 'see' carbon bikes as the traffic light ones certainly don't!

As long as you're not on carbon wheels you should trigger the induction loop.

Stopped and took a pic this morning. It's a bit neater than some of the other ones Ive seen.

520181.jpg

It's unfortunate that they positioned the Howth-ward direction one of these at a yellow cross section dip where most cyclists would be moving out to avoid it (not to mention avoiding the small potholes), so I reckon the counter is probably only showing 50-60% of the actual cyclists (counting the ones going towards town) as that sensor is probably hit more than the other one.

On another subject, I'm frankly confused by the planting done at this section:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3585586,-6.1904537,3a,75y,131.46h,83.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJSU40GA2jIEWx98EWyeo1A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The only purpose I can see from that is to make it as difficult as possible for cars to see what's coming on the adjoining lane?

It doesn't serve to obscure anything from the road (given that there are vast unplanted sections in the middle), so can't really see the purpose?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3585586,-6.1904537,3a,75y,131.46h,83.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJSU40GA2jIEWx98EWyeo1A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The only purpose I can see from that is to make it as difficult as possible for cars to see what's coming on the adjoining lane?

It doesn't serve to obscure anything from the road (given that there are vast unplanted sections in the middle), so can't really see the purpose?

You should have seen it before the planting was trimmed back... :rolleyes:

The potholes across the entrance to the Dublin Bus car park have become a serious issue recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The plants where there before the cycle lane to try reduce the impact of the car park that became a bus park.

The plants where there before the cycle lane to try reduce the impact of the car park that became a bus park.

What I mean is that I'm confused why they left plants at the 2 entrances, but cleared away all plants in between.

Surely if you're going to leave plants to obscure the buses you leave the section in the middle?

But the plants left either side of the entrances serve no purpose other than to make it harder to see oncoming cyclists. They don't obscure the view of the car park from the road.

I reported the pot holes at the entrance to the car park across from the bus depot last week. Hard to avoid them when heading towards town.

513577.jpg

The potholes across the entrance to the Dublin Bus car park have become a serious issue recently.

I noticed this morning they threw a bit of tarmac into the holes. Rough as a badgers arse but as least you wouldn't lose a small child (or a rim) in them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Really poor attempt at flattening tarmac done at the Vernon Ave. junction recently too. It's not rocket science.

• Advertisement

I noticed this morning they threw a bit of tarmac into the holes. Rough as a badgers arse but as least you wouldn't lose a small child (or a rim) in them anymore.

I keep having images of rough badgers arses whenever I pass over this now :eek:

Traumatised

Advertisement