Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Pitty there's no Jaysis bridge after all these years. this scheme + a new jaysis bridge for ffs would make a Clontarf-Ballsbridge faster by bike than any other mode, well needed. Great to see, might even be in place before the long fabled and missmanaged Amien Street route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Interesting proposal by the Dublin Port Company to complete a section of the S2S between Alfie Byrne Road and the East Link Bridge. As suggested in this thread quite some time ago, it will run around the Tolka perimeter of East Point (presumably with their agreement), continue along the shore at Bond Road before turning south to cross Promenade Road (a very busy dual-carriageway) on a new pedestrian/cyclist bridge. It will run along the east side of East Wall Road, through the Dublin Port offices and on to the East Link. No mention of the Council plans for a new cycle bridge there or how it will connect into it.
    The map on the press release also seems to show a separate cycleway continuing along the south shore of the Tolka Estuary and following the edge of the port around to the Liffey.
    Details, such as they are at https://www.dublinport.ie/masterplan/masterplan-documents/ under Liffey Tolka Project Briefing Note and also Greenway Presentation July 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

cgcsb wrote: »
    Pitty there's no Jaysis bridge after all these years. this scheme + a new jaysis bridge for ffs would make a Clontarf-Ballsbridge faster by bike than any other mode

Agree, and it's exactly that sort of action that's a game-changer in getting people out of their cars en masse. I've said before that It's all about just tipping the balance in favour of bike journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭feelings

Good few lights out on that portmarnock/baldoyle strip. Noticed it last night. Where do you report that type of thing anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jaysis bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Stark wrote: »
    Jaysis bridge?

Noun:
    A jaysis bridge is a bridge in Dublin that does not yet exist, has had millions spent on it already and was supposed to have been completed many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Stark wrote: »
    Jaysis bridge?

That's where you cycle on water

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

feelings wrote: »
    Good few lights out on that portmarnock/baldoyle strip. Noticed it last night. Where do you report that type of thing anyway?
    https://fixmystreet.ie/

cgcsb wrote: »
    Pitty there's no Jaysis bridge after all these years. this scheme + a new jaysis bridge for ffs would make a Clontarf-Ballsbridge faster by bike than any other mode, well needed. Great to see, might even be in place before the long fabled and missmanaged Amien Street route.

There are plans for two pedestrian/cyclist bridges between the East Link and Samuel Beckett bridges. One is up near Wapping Street and has ended up in Bord Pleanala in a row over the exact location. The other more useful one is planned to be just upstream of the Toll Bridge. Having it on this side of the bridge means it ties in with the Liffey Campshire cycleway and Ringsend but on the wrong side for this proposal. I think they are looking at redesigning the Point Roundabout so maybe that will solve the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

They really have to watch that the cycling and walking path down there isn't too isolated. It's a lonely enough stretch in the evening and I can't see the Gardaí bothering to leave their cars to patrol it. If the design isn't done right it could go the way of the canal routes where people are legitimately put off using it.
    Unfortunately the sketchiness of the area would make an underpass to avoid that Eastlink roundabout impossible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

One is up near Wapping Street and has ended up in Bord Pleanala in a row over the exact location.

Last I remember hearing was a few weeks ago, ABP refused to let it be moved, and it's now scrapped. Could be off with the details!

Effects wrote: »
    Last I remember hearing was a few weeks ago, ABP refused to let it be moved, and it's now scrapped. Could be off with the details!

Yes, I saw that report. Hopefully DCC will move ahead with the other bridge beside the East Link and it will be less contentious.

Good summary of the likely S2S route through Dublin here:

http://s2s.ie/dublin-port-and-the-s2s-dec-2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Good summary of the likely S2S route through Dublin here:
    http://s2s.ie/dublin-port-and-the-s2s-dec-2020/

Interesting route to use the Tolka estuary side of East Point and then hook around Bond Road avoiding East Wall.

I'm a bit confused by the 'future possible link' shown on the map suggesting a new bridge linking Clontarf and East Point\Port across the Tolka estuary but there's nothing in the text about it at all...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Interesting route to use the Tolka estuary side of East Point and then hook around Bond Road avoiding East Wall.

I'm a bit confused by the 'future possible link' shown on the map suggesting a new bridge linking Clontarf and East Point\Port across the Tolka estuary but there's nothing in the text about it at all...

That bridge is mentioned on pages 3-4 of the linked document.

Looks fanciful.

Murph_D wrote: »

Looks fanciful.

Cheers... so basically a foot and cycle link from near The Yacht Pub to the rear of Eastpoint. Would be amazing but cant see it happening if they already have a route along Alfie Byrne Road and water side of East Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Potential new invasion route from East Wall. Can't see the locals putting up with it!

Potential new invasion route from East Wall. Can't see the locals putting up with it!

Agreed ... since 1014 :)

Looks fanciful.

That bridge will be new zone for dog walkers/joggers across all paths I imagine.

Hopefully they make the barriers high enough or we go for an unintended swim when colliding with said offenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

can cycle lights be too bright?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

can cycle lights be too bright?
    in what way?
    In terms of lighting the ground and way ahead? No
    In terms of blinding oncoming road users (drivers, bicyclers and walkers)? Yes of course. However, this can be mitigated by pointing the light downwards slightly.

in what way?

In terms of blinding oncoming road users (drivers, bicyclers and walkers)? Yes of course. However, this can be mitigated by pointing the light downwards slightly.
    I think some cyclist are treating S2S segregated cycle lane like some rural boreen with the big blinking lights.

in what way?

However, this can be mitigated by pointing the light downwards slightly.

So can people bicycling on the s2s please do this!

I think some cyclist are treating S2S segregated cycle lane like some rural boreen with the big blinking lights.

Then you have the kids with no lights... or the guys cycling parallel on the narrow stretches blocking the entire lane... or dog walkers letting dogs off the lead and they inevitably run onto the lane... etc etc.

Just wear shades to lessen the glare and press on, it's everyone for themselves :pac:

mrcheez wrote: »
    Then you have the kids with no lights... or the guys cycling parallel on the narrow stretches blocking the entire lane... or dog walkers letting dogs off the lead and they inevitably run onto the lane... etc etc.

Just wear shades to lessen the glare and press on, it's everyone for themselves :pac:

I didn't suggest not having lights.

I didn't suggest not having lights.

I was suggesting all the other annoyances one encounters on the route in addition to glaring lights... I just learned to deal with it (wear shaded glasses solves the glare problem) as complaining evidently has no effect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

So can people bicycling on the s2s please do this!

I'm a bit confused. Are you assuming that the people who were cycling with the bright lights are on the forum here? Or are you hoping that other cyclists here will filter your message out to them?

A guy reversed into my car about a month ago. I didn't go onto the motoring forum and ask motorists to please pay more attention while reversing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not this again! There's been loads posted on this matter, people on bikes with lights pointed up/into peoples eyes....

Only thing you can do is wear shades :cool: or let a roar at someone with bright lights on the cycle track, though probably won't get you anywhere...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not this again! There's been loads posted on this matter, people on bikes with lights pointed up/into peoples eyes....

I can understand the reasoning behind them.

Either you approach the bike path after having the blinders on in traffic for safety and forget to turn them down

*OR*

If crowds of people are walking on the bike path the only way they notice you is if you have loud obnoxious lights aimed upward so that they project forward 10m or so.

So I'm not bothered about complaining about them as I understand the reason, but I cope with them by wearing shades

• Advertisement

should it be necessary to wear shades to cycle on the s2s?

Advertisement