Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

should it be necessary to wear shades to cycle on the s2s?

Well yeah.. it's windy as f*ck... I couldn't personally ride on it without as I'd be teary eyed the whole way with the wind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

should it be necessary to wear shades to cycle on the s2s?

Only during light up hours... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this is me https://twitter.com/JosephMcgucken/status/1351623895342837764 though i've never used a hire bike here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Discussion starting on the Clontarf Facebook group about introducing speed limits on the cycle path. Complaints that men are treating it like it's the tour de france.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Effects wrote: »
    Discussion starting on the Clontarf Facebook group about introducing speed limits on the cycle path. Complaints that men are treating it like it's the tour de france.

As a club cyclist, I have to agree with them. I have been out walking there and have been passed by people going 40+kmh. no issue on the road but loads of kids using it these days. I stick to the road now myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Linky?

Bet there was some epic drafting in covid slipstreams to boot.

How exactly do they police it?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

mrcheez wrote: »

Speed bumps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm probably guilty of going too fast on it at times myself, from bull wall to Lotts is a much slower section these days. It's only 2.5k so doesn't kill ya to slow down. There's pretty much always traffic on it these days anyway that you need to overtake.

Stark wrote: »
    Linky?

Bet there was some epic drafting in covid slipstreams to boot.

Hope this works.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146039519351628/permalink/802716880350552

You may have to join the group.

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »

With these for a start:

175432282_10219649170610203_7347392674715676981_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=eZrQQzUh38UAX-5l3zP&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=6&oh=933af4896cecd69a7a6f866c3e5051df&oe=60A29791

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

With these for a start:

175432282_10219649170610203_7347392674715676981_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=eZrQQzUh38UAX-5l3zP&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=6&oh=933af4896cecd69a7a6f866c3e5051df&oe=60A29791
    I just heard Murray Walker say "through the chicane" in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

With these for a start:

Plenty of space right of the bollards

It seems to have taken the route of, more high viz, speed cameras, bike registration, insurance.
    Someone even suggested bikes should be banned along the length of the prom in Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

It seems to have taken the route of, more high viz, speed cameras, bike registration, insurance.
    Someone even suggested bikes should be banned along the length of the prom in Clontarf.

Has anybody suggested we should stop building unsegregated cycle tracks? Or pointed out that non-grade-separated pseudo-shared space is a disaster once it goes beyond light usage?

With these for a start:

I see the dog walkers getting tangled on those!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

buffalo wrote: »
    Has anybody suggested we should stop building unsegregated cycle tracks? Or pointed out that non-grade-separated pseudo-shared space is a disaster once it goes beyond light usage?

what's the alternative in somewhere like Clontarf though, even if it was separate you'd still have kids with bikes, joggers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

TBF, it is meant as a leisure area, where families on bikes and those on Dublin Bikes can cycle along the seafront. It was never designed as a training track, which unfortunately too many cyclists seem to think it is. Cycling in groups, two sometimes three abreast.

Part of it is of course the sheer nature of the path itself. Perfectly flat, smooth. It really pretty easy to get a good speed up.

Of course there are dog walkers, walkers, joggers (for some reason they love running on the line rather than away from it!). But that will happen regardless. I love using it, and I get a good speed on it, but always try to remember that it isn't my training track and that having to slow down for the group of girls chatting while standing in the lane, or the dog walker etc is just part of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i simply avoid it on days where you'd expect it to be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Unfortunately human behaviour being what it is, even segregated tracks suffer from selfish so-and-so's walking/jogging on the cycle lane. See this on the baldoyle cycleway where the path is segregated from the cycleway by a 2M strip of grass. I wonder if the existing jaywalking laws apply - or if the Guards would ever deem to excercise them?:rolleyes:

Not that I would support cyclists who don't slow for families etc. in the endless chase of strava times. Totally anti social and when my kids are on a cycle way I'll be addressing any such behaviour directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

loyatemu wrote: »
    what's the alternative in somewhere like Clontarf though, even if it was separate you'd still have kids with bikes, joggers etc.

Don't think you can completely solve the issue/make it full velodrome standard etc. But there are definitely parts where improvement in terms of giving more space to both cyclists and pedestrians are needed. Even going at moderate speeds in parts, a slight moment of inattention from someone cycling towards you could turn nasty.

I think a lot of the complaints from non cyclists complaining about speeding, would even refer to people doing 20km/h, which isn't all that fast.
    I'll adjust my speed depending on how busy it is though, and I try to be hyper aware of my surroundings.
    I'll also cycle two abreast with a mate, but never with someone approaching from ahead or behind. That's so we can chat though, and the guys I cycle with are always slower than me. :D
    I'm always polite to pedestrians or runners though, and slow down, ring my bell once or twice, and remind them that it's a cycle path. Some people just don't realise sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭cletus

In fairness, if you're, say, out for a stroll, pushing a buggy/walking with kids, or just elderly, a bike passing at even 20kph probably feels fast

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah the lycra folks should really be out on the road in my opinion, not that the locals would like that either. I remember being on the track last year around this time and it was absolutely rammed with cyclists, which is great and all, but you really had to watch what you were doing as the passing is so close at times.
    The only accident I can think of on the route however is when an idiot motorist thought it was part of the road and killed a poor woman who was jogging, although I doubt that caused more than a few thoughts and prayers messages on Facebook, only bikes are dangerous.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    TBF, it is meant as a leisure area

Is it not meant as a cycle track? I keep seeing it being described as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I didn't say it wasn't meant as a cycling track though did I, I said it was never designed as a training track!

It is meant as a leisure cycle track. It is not meant, certainly not designed, to be a trainer centre for the TdF.

It's a lot narrower than a road for cycling on at speed to be honest.

The only accident I can think of on the route however is when an idiot motorist thought it was part of the road and killed a poor woman who was jogging, although I doubt that caused more than a few thoughts and prayers messages on Facebook, only bikes are dangerous.

I think that guy was having a medical episode, wasn't he?
    So I'm sure it's something that's extremely tough for him to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I didn't say it wasn't meant as a cycling track though did I, I said it was never designed as a training track!

It is meant as a leisure cycle track. It is not meant, certainly not designed, to be a trainer centre for the TdF.

I would have said its now a major commuting route also. Thats what I was doing on it for 2yrs. Now similarly the baldoyle cycleway.

• Advertisement

Why are you framing it as a leisure track? Do people not use it to go to work? What even is a leisure track? When people talk about leisure cyclists, they generally mean people in lycra going for long cycles at the weekend, so are you suggesting that the track is meant for that?

Advertisement