Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was cycling along it yesterday trying to decide which option i'd prefer - leaving them there or removing them. it's quite pretty looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Today's IT; http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/work-on-5m-clontarf-section-of-dublin-bay-cycle-path-starts-1.2218425
    Construction of the €5 million“missing link” of the Dublin Bay cycle path is starting this week, more than a decade after planning of the route began.

Work is starting this week on the west side of the road, not the seaward side, and will continue until the end of July. Work on the coastal side of the road will begin in the autumn. The full scheme is due for completion in July 2016.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what work are they doing on the west side?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

The article is a bit unclear, it says the missing 2km will be finished in July 2016, and then it says the whole scheme will be..... wonder which?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

tmq wrote: »
    The article is a bit unclear, it says the missing 2km will be finished in July 2016, and then it says the whole scheme will be..... wonder which?

The whole scheme will take a decade at least to complete. Aren't there still people blocking proposed sections along the southern route?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

what work are they doing on the west side?

The whole road is being redesigned / reconfigured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The €5 Million is misleading. A water main is being put in under under the road and the road foundation is being redone and unpinned as it is in danger of collapse. The cycle lane itself is a relatively minor part of the works.

i've heard the new section is going to be a maglev section, so your bike will float along. unless of course it's a carbon or aluminium frame, in which case, you'll drop through onto the mudflats below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Bit ridiculous that the first sign you meet heading towards Howth tells you the (advisory) cycle lane is closed. I had hoped they would divert the cycle path through the edge of St Anne's for the duration of the works but that would probably need the Roads Department to talk with the Parks Department. No such luck.

Bit ridiculous that the first sign you meet heading towards Howth tells you the (advisory) cycle lane is closed. I had hoped they would divert the cycle path through the edge of St Anne's for the duration of the works but that would probably need the Roads Department to talk with the Parks Department. No such luck.

I'd rather take my chances with the cars than the dogwalkers and militant joggers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'd rather take my chances with the cars than the dogwalkers and militant joggers
    Are they any relation to the militant cyclists I keep hearing about? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Why would you want us all to cycle through the park on a footpath?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Raam wrote: »
    Why would you want us all to cycle through the park on a footpath?

I'm guessing he's talking about a possable temporary cycle path detour as they often (but not always) do in the Netherlands:

http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/2014/08/four-more-examples-of-how-to-preserve.html?m=1

monument wrote: »
    I'm guessing he's talking about a possable temporary cycle path detour as they often (but not always) do in the Netherlands:

http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/2014/08/four-more-examples-of-how-to-preserve.html?m=1

The diversion in this case would be more awkward than continuing to ride on the road.

The diversion in this case would be more awkward than continuing to ride on the road.

Maybe for you and I Raam but there are a lot of others who use that route who won't fancy being pushed out into a narrowed car lane. The path immediately inside the park (and the footpath on that side of the road) are very lightly used by pedestrians and could easily have been adapted as a dedicated outbound cycle path years ago.
    I know it would still leave a problem on the stretch nearer the bridge but, as a temporary measure, for most cyclists it's better and safer than the on-road option.
    Thanks monument for the Dutch link.

Maybe for you and I Raam but there are a lot of others who use that route who won't fancy being pushed out into a narrowed car lane. The path immediately inside the park (and the footpath on that side of the road) are very lightly used by pedestrians and could easily have been adapted as a dedicated outbound cycle path years ago.
    I know it would still leave a problem on the stretch nearer the bridge but, as a temporary measure, for most cyclists it's better and safer than the on-road option.
    Thanks monument for the Dutch link.

Well that's grand, you can head off through the park right now if you want anyway. But if they redirected the cycle track through it then our motoring brethren might expect everyone to use it and not be as understanding during the works.

Well that's grand, you can head off through the park right now if you want anyway. But if they redirected the cycle track through it then our motoring brethren might expect everyone to use it and not be as understanding during the works.

Good luck with the understanding. I seem to have missed it any time I try to cross over at that spot to the cycle path.

Good luck with the understanding. I seem to have missed it any time I try to cross over at that spot to the cycle path.

The only time I cross there is when it's totally clear, otherwise I go up to the lights.

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What bits of the cycle path are currently closed?

Cycling on the road is ok, the concrete can be a bit bumpy. But when you get close to the Clontarf end the traffic can get a bit whacky.

awec wrote: »
    What bits of the cycle path are currently closed?

Cycling on the road is ok, the concrete can be a bit bumpy. But when you get close to the Clontarf end the traffic can get a bit whacky.

The last 100m or so of the road section near the Causeway on the park side. Looks like they intend working their way back towards the Bridge this year and then tackling the sea side next year.

• Advertisement

The only time I cross there is when it's totally clear, otherwise I go up to the lights.

This. Apart from being dangerous to cross mid-way, people pulling up suddenly to cross here force other cyclists out into the road. Crossing at the traffic lights is safer for all.

As for the section in question, just take the lane (giving advance warning to cars behind of course) and it will solve any dangerous close-calls.

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I take it you are talking about the bit when heading Howth-bound when the Cycle lane just re-appears through a hole in the wall on the right hand side?

I always just go to the crossroads and take the right turn onto Causeway road and rejoin the path there. Just get onto the road itself when you're getting close and cycle as if you were a car (i.e. in the middle of the lane so nobody tries to be cheeky).

Pretty much what I said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

mrcheez wrote: »
    As for the section in question, just take the lane (giving advance warning to cars behind of course) and it will solve any dangerous close-calls.

I've been taking the lane pretty much from Wongs traffic lights (or a bit further on). No problem turning into the off-road cycle lane as I'm mid lane already...

Just shows that cyclists are all individuals and everyone has their own way of doing things. I enjoy the cycle path so much more than the road so I try to get over on to it as soon as possible. There have been times where I can't find a gap and end up going on to the lights.

Discovered the other night why the outbound lane at the roadworks doesn't seem too narrow - they have done away with the inbound cycle lane and moved the two traffic lanes and centre-line over. Heading into town, the sharp left turn onto the road from the cyclepath is even more dangerous than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Irish Times: Residents say Clontarf sea wall construction must be stopped
    Independent councillor Damian O’Farrell has asked council chief executive Owen Keegan to stop work until after an information meeting scheduled for November 5th, but he said he had yet to receive a response.
    “The information given to residents clearly wasn’t good enough. I also think it was disingenuous to put flood defences in with the cycle project. ..."

The council said it was aware of residents’ concerns and that engineering staff would be discussing the matter in advance of the November 5th meeting.

And on YouTube: STOP the Sea wall, Dollymount (not talking about cycling)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

what do we want?
    flood defences
    when do we want it?
    As tall as the existing ones that dont work.....

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Damian O'Farrell is a trouble maker. Anything to keep his flag flying.
    Sorry I've no time for him and he really annoys me with the mindless comments he makes.

arghh!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Finian "Friend to the Elderly" McGrath is also a known agitator on this question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Finian "Friend to the Elderly" McGrath is also a known agitator on this question.

He's no friend of 2 wheels anyway

Advertisement