Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Strange, the birds have been doing fine for 50 years without a screen... And couldn't the screen be horizontal?
    Does the EIS say anything about the impact of projected sea levels on bird habitats?

There's been a wall along the road edge for as long as I've been passing that way. I presume that has provided the screen thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

So I had a quick spin on the newly laid (unopened) section opposite St Anne's Park last night and I'm well impressed with the more-than-ample width given to the bike lane.

You could easily get 4 (5?) flat bar bikes riding side-by-side along the stretch.

Flashy aluminium street lights too ... very classy :)

I doubt they're going to continue the same bike lane width all the way down to Wooden Bridge though? Also I would be very surprised if they managed to actually complete it all in October as planned (I reckon at least another 2 months).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

mrcheez wrote: »
    So I had a quick spin on the newly laid (unopened) section opposite St Anne's Park last night and I'm well impressed with the more-than-ample width given to the bike lane.

You could easily get 4 (5?) flat bar bikes riding side-by-side along the stretch.

I doubt they're going to continue the same bike lane width all the way down to Wooden Bridge though? Also I would be very surprised if they managed to actually complete it all in October as planned (I reckon at least another 2 months).

Maybe it's for all of the finishing touches to be done, but they told me February: http://irishcycle.com/2016/09/19/missing-link-on-northside-s2s-dublin-bay-cycle-route-due-to-be-finished-in-february-2017/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Photo, please?

monument wrote: »
    Maybe it's for all of the finishing touches to be done, but they told me February: http://irishcycle.com/2016/09/19/missing-link-on-northside-s2s-dublin-bay-cycle-route-due-to-be-finished-in-february-2017/

The guys in 360 Cycles plus some local councillor leaflets said it was due to be finished in Oct hence the road closures, but perhaps that is just without the finishing touches. To me it still seems very ambitious to get it done in Oct unless they plan on working 24 hours.
    Chuchote wrote: »
    Photo, please?

My vid camera battery died before I got a chance :( Perhaps someone else is heading that way today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

399246.JPG

Here you go

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that the final road surface? i.e. is it still concrete?

399248.JPG

is that the final road surface? i.e. is it still concrete?

The cycle lane actually looks pretty small from that angle. I'll record it when I cycle on it next (assuming someone has knocked down the barrier again) :D

It's approx 3-4 average footpaths wide.

The road surface is still being worked on but I think the cycle surface and footpath is finished.

The final surface will be asphalt. They have it about halfway done.

They've been working late at night all week, but I don't know if it has been 24 hours.

• Advertisement

I hope they put in anti-car kerbs or it will end up being a St Annes carpark...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I hope they put in anti-car kerbs or it will end up being a St Annes carpark...

How do you mean? The bike path is raised up away from the road so cannot be used for parking on.

Even with the asphalt layer, it's still too high to drive up onto, plus the width of the road means that any parking on it will obstruct traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

The bike path is raised up away from the road so cannot be used for parking on.
    That's very close to the road, at night, cyclists heading outbound will be be dazzled by oncoming car headlamps to their left & vice versa.

How do you mean? The bike path is raised up away from the road so cannot be used for parking on.

Even with the asphalt layer, it's still too high to drive up onto, plus the width of the road means that any parking on it will obstruct traffic.

When finished, the kerb will be no higher than average. Certainly not high enough to prevent parking.

but they will block traffic since lane isn't wide enough for 1.5 cars

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The cycle path will in most/many places be wide enough to fit a full car on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

monument wrote: »
    The cycle path will in most/many places be wide enough to fit a full car on it!

Surely none of the upstanding motorists of Dublin would be idiotic enough to try that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If I see one parked on it, then I will physically lift it off myself out of pure fury.

'Cos that's always been a consideration for illegally parking drivers...
    126873_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was there that sort of parking on that road before these works began?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Raam wrote: »
    If I see one parked on it, then I will physically lift it off myself out of pure fury.

man%20lifting%20car.jpg

was there that sort of parking on that road before these works began?

Yes, there was. There was a carpark an St Annes near the causeway and overflow would typically park on the road from there up to Raheny but you would get cars parked on the (previously wider) coast road also. Further in towards town, you would get cars parked outside houses. The road will be too narrow for parking outside your house but that's fine because there'll be a lovely wide bike lane for parking on instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cars regularly park on the wide section of the shared use footpath / cycle lane up near the baldoyle turn. i don't expect it to happen here though because a parked car would clearly be blocking the entire cycle lane which looks like a different surface and at a different height than the footpath but you never know!

P_1 wrote: »
    It would be a shame were anything to happen to any illegally parked cars...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Posts suggesting/advocating damaging private property deleted along with posts quoting said posts.

Come on folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Most of the road beside St Anne Park was covered in asphalt this morning.

The kerb\division between the road and cycle path looks quite big. 12 inches or so.
    But then again I'm male so it could be tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

mathie wrote: »
    Most of the road beside St Anne Park was covered in asphalt this morning.

The kerb\division between the road and cycle path looks quite big. 12 inches or so.
    But then again I'm male so it could be tiny.

perception / reality :D

the kerb has certainly looked very high during the construction phase pre-surfacing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Imagine if there were private companies who went around putting immobilising devices on cars that parked illegally, including parking in cycle lanes?

Imagine if those companies then essentially held the cars hostage until the owners ponied up a hefty fine, say €80-100?

I bet a system like that would rectify a lot of the illegal cycle lane parking.

We can only dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

Anything to prevent cyclists accidentlly riding off the track onto the road if they cannot see the edge at night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

Veloce150 wrote: »
    Anything to prevent cyclists accidentlly riding off the track onto the road if they cannot see the edge at night?
    Lights?

Advertisement