Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit on hotel room

Options
  • 05-03-2013 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

hi, I paid a 20 euro deposit on a hotel room yesterday for friday 8th of march, but the event I was going to has been cancelled. I havent yet rang the hotel to cancel because I want to see if im entitled to the deposit back? apparently most hotel rooms in dublin city are booked because of the rugby game saturday, so the hotel shouldnt have a problem getting someone for the room.

Comments

It depends on how you booked it, if I'm right. If you booked it through a website like ebookers.com, hostelworld.com, hotels.com, then you'd have to do the cancellation through the websites themselves; I wanted to change a booking at a hostel I was staying in previously that I had booked through hostelworld.com, but was informed that I had to do it through the website, so just stuck to my original reservation. So if this is the case for you, it depends on those website's T&C with regards to their cancellation policy.

If booked through the hotel itself, check on their website, if they have one, which they likely will. There'd probably be somewhere there that would have their own policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

It depends on how you booked it, if I'm right. If you booked it through a website like ebookers.com, hostelworld.com, hotels.com, then you'd have to do the cancellation through the websites themselves; I wanted to change a booking at a hostel I was staying in previously that I had booked through hostelworld.com, but was informed that I had to do it through the website, so just stuck to my original reservation. So if this is the case for you, it depends on those website's T&C with regards to their cancellation policy.

If booked through the hotel itself, check on their website, if they have one, which they likely will. There'd probably be somewhere there that would have their own policy.

i paid the deposit in person, cash.have a receipt.

it says on the website, this hotel has a 1 day cancellation policy, does this mean ill get my deposit back?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It sounds as if you will get your deposit back, based on the above. But you need to go into them and get it sorted.

dudara wrote: »
    It sounds as if you will get your deposit back, based on the above. But you need to go into them and get it sorted.

rang them a while ago, they are going to refund my deposit because i gave then pleanty of notice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

From previous work in a hotel, you'd generally get a deposit back if you give more than 24hours notice. What I find usually happens is a lot of people think if they just don't turn up, then they will only lose their deposit. Most places will have it in the t&cs that a no show will result in one night's stay being charged to the credit card of the booking if one was used.

Advertisement