Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scone best / worst - expensive / cheap

• 05-03-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I am a scone fan, coffee and scone when in a cafe or I will buy one for the coffee break in work or at home, now scones vary a lot, my local Italian restaurant / deli in Dunshaughlin do a great scone normally €1.15 to take away - bare, no jam or butter. Imagine my shock and horror when yesterday my scone now cost €1.35 and still bare! Anyway my favourite type on scone is not the soft mini batch loaf but a harder texture not unlike a biscuit. Any other scone fans out there and what is your favourite, worst, most expensive and cheapest? Of course any recipe for a great scone would be welcome - just as long as it is easy to follow.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I always bake my own. However, I would have thought if a scone tastes like a biscuit, then it is either stale, or is not a scone at all. Can't say I've ever tasted a biscuit-tasting scone. Others may enlighten me though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I make my own too, but lately I've been making rock cakes more - they're even nicer.
    I've never tasted a scone that was like a biscuit either.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

I make my own too, but lately I've been making rock cakes more - they're even nicer.
    I've never tasted a scone that was like a biscuit either.
    OK, let's have the recipe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

http://www.deliaonline.com/community/yourrecipes/baking/Rock-cakes.html

*For the mixed fruit I use half currants and half sultanas. Don't forget the sprinkle of demerara on top!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

I'd have to agree that if a scone is crunchy/hard like a biscuit, then it's stale or not really a scone... It should be firm on the outside and have a light texture....

Buttermilk scones are great if you like a light sweet scone...I've used this recipe before and it's always worked out great.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/518627/buttermilk-scones

And cos we're trying to establish what a proper scone is like... :p

scone.jpg

Nyom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Here's a tip if you have a soft scone that you want to be more biscuity. Pop it in the oven at 100 degrees for 10 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the scone for 10 minutes. Take it out and it will be harder, more biscuity scone.

Does anyone actually do that to a scone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Does anyone actually do that to a scone?

Cream and jam? **** yes I do!

CianRyan wrote: »
    Cream and jam? **** yes I do!

:D I meant re-baking at 100 degrees as fobster said! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

Do that to a scone! not yet! But I may find out where the muffin man lives.

• Advertisement

It would certainly make it biscuit-y!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

This

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12347/easy-fluffy-scones

has become the standard scone recipe in our kitchen. So quick to make that no matter how late it is, there is always time for a batch of scones for the weekend breakfast. The only battle every time is: raisins in or not ;-)

367BE213F66745A587A468CF409FC869-0000353053-0003128636-00500L-60B5A0486BA847748B0651CFCAAA0260.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I like a fairly heavy scone, with lots of butter and a good cup of tea or coffee. I love the Avoca ones, and tend to buy on ewhenever i pass by. Pricey, but worth it!

I add a sprinkle of cinammon in when i make mine, or do chocolate chip and orange ones. Wholemeal ones occasionally, and if baking for the neighbours i will use buttermilk to lighten it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

It works best with stale scones, to bring them back to life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Keoghs on Trinity Street in Dublin's city center have the most amazing scones.

They have a big enough selection including strawberry, mixed berry, cranberry&orange, pear&vanilla, raisin, plain, brown, brown raisin, and an almond one I think.

I usually go for a raspberry scone, gorgeous! I want one right now:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

McCabes deli do fantastic scones.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

Queen of Tarts do a lovely scone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I quite like the ones from the M&S bakery. I don't really like scones with fruit, raisins etc. mixed into the batter, I prefer plain ones or maybe wholemeal. I hate scones that are hard as a rock and really biscuity, I prefer mine a bit lighter and fluffier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 JansStuff

I make my own, and I have a great coffee machine at home BUT I am still addicted to getting a coffee & scone when I'm out. Forget cake, breakfast or lunch, a scone does it for me every time. I can't help it, they just speak to me. I've just started keeping a log of my scone habit and will share it here, starting out in south Dublin, but I will branch out....

Vanilla Pod, Carrickmines Retail Park, Carrickmines, Dublin 18

Date: September 2012 - 2013

I ordered: 1 Americano with hot milk & Fruit Scone with butter and Jam

Cost: €5.25 (about) + (For Tea and Scone it is about €4, so better value)

Value for Money: Yes

Comment: I am a very frequent visitor here, as I like the shops and it is close to where I live. While this place is by no means cheap, it is good value. The bistro style cafe is a lovely place to have a coffee. The scones are very generous, handmade and very fresh. They usually run out of them by 11, so get there early. The butter and jam are served nicely in small ramkins. The service is always friendly. The coffee cups are generous and they will do hot milk in a jug on the side with no hassle, and a glass of water too.

• Advertisement

Star Buy - The Market, Belarmine, Stepaside, Dublin 18

Date: September 2013

I ordered: 1 Americano with hot milk & Scone with butter and Jam

Cost: €2.50

Value for Money: Yeeeesssss

Comment: This is an upmarket supermarket amid a housing / dwelling estate in Stepaside. It is not a café per se, but there are about 3 tables with seats inside and many more tables outside the front and the back entrance, so if its not raining it is a lovely place to sit. There is ample parking, and it is beside a lovely kids playground. The coffee was excellent and the scone was handmade, generous and fresh. This is the best value scone and coffee in South Dublin I've found yet. I just will have to pace my visits as they'll think I'm stalking them if I go there every day.

The Gallery Cafe, Mezzane Level, Dundrum Centre, Dundrum, Dublin

I ordered: 1 Americano & Scone with butter and Jam

Cost: €3

Comment: You can't go wrong with this deal. They have fruit scones, cherry scones and plain scones combined with tea or any coffee for just €3. The coffee was actually very good, creamy and smooth. The scone wasn't homemade, but was very acceptable at this price. I will definitely go back.

Frangos Dundrum Shopping Centre, Dundrum, Dublin

I ordered: 1 Tea & Scone with butter and Jam

Cost: €4.60 - would have been more if I got a coffee

Value for Money: No

Comment: This place do a good coffee and cake deal, at €4.95 for any coffee and cake, and this is great value. But for scones, they should introduce some kind of discount. The scone and tea were individually priced so came in at €4.60. It was a lovely homemade scone, half of which I ate and the other half I brought home for later. But the teacup was larger than the teapot. At least at this price I would expect a big pot, even if it just housed a single teabag. It is a nice airy place to sit and eat, and is near the loos. They could just do better with the pricing. Downstairs in the Gallery café on the mezzane level they have scone and coffee/tea for just €3.

Starbucks Beacon South Quarter Dublin 18

I ordered: 1 English Breakfast Tea & Scone with butter and Jam

Cost: €4

Comment: This is a good spot if you go before the lunch rush. Though I normally go for coffee, I was coffeed out, so chose the tea. The fancy tea-bags in Starbucks are very cute, and the generous sized mug is larger than you usually get in coffee shops in this area. The scone was generous and crumbly, but not too crumbly. The surprise was that the jam was an individual pot of Bon Mamon strawberry jam - worth about a euro on its own. I brought this home with me to refill for picnics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Brother Hubbard on Capel Street, Dublin

Ok not the cheapest (but they do a scone and tea/coffee special until about 11am think it's €3.50/4).

OMG their scones are gorgeous, lovely and crunchy outside and they're served with "orange blossom butter"

scone-woth-orange-blossom.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The best scone I've had in my life was in the Locke bar in limerick, we used to get one every Friday, heaven on a plate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For all you scone experts out there...what is it I'm doing wrong that makes my scones leave a sort of roughness/taste on the back of my front teeth? It's hard to describe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

By any chance would you be adding too much baking powder?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Layinghen wrote: »
    By any chance would you be adding too much baking powder?

That's a possibility. I should get some proper measuring spoons I suppose. Apart from that weird after taste, they're quite nice in terms of texture, lightness etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Think that might be your problem so. Definitely get the measuring spoons anyway, Homestore and More normally have them. Since getting proper measuring spoons a while ago I find I am amazed at the difference between what I thought was a teaspoon and what actually is!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Definitely a baking powder issue I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

5unflower wrote: »

Tried this recipe this morning, it's really lovely :) So light!

Had no milk in the house, so diluted the yoghurt with water instead and it worked out fine...

Advertisement