Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heating solution for bedroom

Options
  • 05-03-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi there our tenant has broken what (I think!) is a dimplex fan assisted storage heater. One of the switches has come off and it now has to be replaced. Can someone advise me on whether it would be advisable to replace it with a CONTRAST CONVECTOR WITH TIMER (sorry for caps!) the reason I am tempted is obviously because the retail price difference between both. Do you have any advice on this topic? I know nothing about heating and dont really have anyone to ask, there is a picture of the existing heater with broken switch attached. Also does anyone know for sure whether this switch can be fixed? Thanks in advance :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

the switch that's broken looks like a part of the time switch/clock beside the slot.

I don't know if the timeswitch is still available from the manufacturer, if it is not, then another option would be to get an electrician to modify the heater to bypass that switch and timer, and use an external timer unit that plugs into the socket, it will have exactly the same effect as the inbuilt timer, and will probably be a lot cheaper as a fix than replacing the unit.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

thanks for your reply Steve, do you think that would be a better option than replacing the unit with the fan heater thing? the tenant is moaning about the existing heater not being warm enough etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Dimplex-2kW-Contrast-Convector-with-Timer/14967/3.5.0

this will do a similar job for 1/3 the price alright

not the same quality but probably ok for rented accommodation

thanks meercat, that's actually the heater we were looking at, is it really pricey to run do you know? just a little confused as to the pro's and cons of each heating system :/

jellybeans wrote: »
    thanks meercat, that's actually the heater we were looking at, is it really pricey to run do you know? just a little confused as to the pro's and cons of each heating system :/

2kw= 40cent an hour to run(rounded figure)
    thats the same cost as the one you have pictured
    there is a 1kw setting too(20cent an hour)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Its rated 2kw which means it uses 2 kw of electricity per hour when its at the highest setting. This means it will cost almost 40 cent per hours use.

Wow thats not too bad, so no major disadvantage to switching to the fan heater then???

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The Woodies unit is not fan assisted, just a natural convector, so it will work exactly the same as the one you have now, in terms of the distribution of the heat.

The fan heater will distribute the heat around the room more.

If it's in a bedroom and there are children around, I'd be happier to see it wall mounted, so there's no risk of it being knocked over, and less risk of someone throwing something like a towel over it, if it's on the wall, there's less risks.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

thanks for your reply Steve, do you think that would be a better option than replacing the unit with the fan heater thing? the tenant is moaning about the existing heater not being warm enough etc
    It looks as if the switch that's snapped off is the one that alternates between manual operation/timed operation/off. I doubt if you'd have to buy a cpmplete new unit.

You'd probably be able to source a new switch online, but considering that it's now probably an outdated model & to save the hassle if I were you I'd contact someone that deals with repairing dimplex heaters, as they would probably have a used switch that they could replace for you or else be able to order a new one from somewhere.

I have used smartelectrics.ie in the past to replace parts in dimplex storage heaters (used elements & thermal cut-out switch) & was very happy with price & work. As it turned out they sent out a sub-contractor to do the work, & it would probably have been cheaper again for me to have contacted him directly. I have his contact details, so send me a PM if you want his number.

Incidentally I see that they have a second hand Dimplex 2.0KW Panel heater with Timer advertised on their site for €60, so you may want to give them a ring to see if they can sort you out with either a repair or a second hand replacement heater.

No affiliation with the above, just a satisfied customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

meercat wrote: »
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Dimplex-2kW-Contrast-Convector-with-Timer/14967/3.5.0

this will do a similar job for 1/3 the price alright

not the same quality but probably ok for rented accommodation

Meercat would this be a better job then an oil filled rad? I guess the oil filled rad would take longer to heat.... The convector would be instant heat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Hi there our tenant has broken what (I think!) is a dimplex fan assisted storage heater. One of the switches has come off and it now has to be replaced. Can someone advise me on whether it would be advisable to replace it with a CONTRAST CONVECTOR WITH TIMER (sorry for caps!) the reason I am tempted is obviously because the retail price difference between both. Do you have any advice on this topic? I know nothing about heating and dont really have anyone to ask, there is a picture of the existing heater with broken switch attached. Also does anyone know for sure whether this switch can be fixed? Thanks in advance :confused:

Just thinkin there...if its for a bedroom, i assume the house has central heating and its a standard sized bedroom. Would a small fan heater (10.00) not be better. Would heat the room in less than 5 minutes

Meercat would this be a better job then an oil filled rad? I guess the oil filled rad would take longer to heat.... The convector would be instant heat
    Better for your needs
    As already stated get it wall mounted

Just thinkin there...if its for a bedroom, i assume the house has central heating and its a standard sized bedroom. Would a small fan heater (10.00) not be better. Would heat the room in less than 5 minutes

no it's an apartment...only storage heating, thanks for all your help, seems like the DIMPLEX 2KW CONTRAST CONVECTOR WITH TIMER is a good alternative, why wouldn't they use something like this in the first place as it's so much cheaper than the fan assisted storage heater.

I got onto that crowd dimpco today to see about getting a replacement switch but they said that model is no longer available. Seems a shame to get rid of the whole unit because of a little switch, I might email that smartelectrics.ie to see what they think about getting it repaired! you learn so much from these forums, they're fantastic. Thanks all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

no it's an apartment...only storage heating, thanks for all your help, seems like the DIMPLEX 2KW CONTRAST CONVECTOR WITH TIMER is a good alternative, why wouldn't they use something like this in the first place as it's so much cheaper than the fan assisted storage heater
    The bedroom heater is not a storage heater, hence it's cheap price. It is not fan assisted either. It's a simple convector heater. It would be no good in place of a storage heater, as it cannot store heat generated at the cheap electricity rate time.

I had the exact same one as you, and the switch broke in the exact same instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lodger222

OP I assume that you are correct when you say that you have a fan assisted storage heater in the bedroom . Seems over the top to me, a wall mounted panel radiator with integrated time switch would be perfectly acceptable.
    If it is a fan assisted storage heater then it would have 2no. supply cables and 2 no. switches beside the heater. It would be worth repairing if it is storage heater , Dimplex are based in Santry in Dublin and they have a very good spare parts dept.

However, if it is just a panel radiator i would imagine it would be easier just to replace it. But again , if you want a project them Dimpco will post out the part to you .

lodger222 wrote: »
    OP I assume that you are correct when you say that you have a fan assisted storage heater in the bedroom . Seems over the top to me, a wall mounted panel radiator with integrated time switch would be perfectly acceptable.
    If it is a fan assisted storage heater then it would have 2no. supply cables and 2 no. switches beside the heater. It would be worth repairing if it is storage heater , Dimplex are based in Santry in Dublin and they have a very good spare parts dept.

However, if it is just a panel radiator i would imagine it would be easier just to replace it. But again , if you want a project them Dimpco will post out the part to you .

thanks lodger, part is no longer available it seems, model is obsolete!

woodies have 20% off instore this week so get that heater quick

meercat wrote: »
    woodies have 20% off instore this week so get that heater quick

DOH!! Managed to pick up a similar model in Argos, may not be as good as the dimples though :(

Advertisement