Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Project Maths - Time Allocation

• 05-03-2013 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

I'd like to hear some maths teachers' opinions and experiences of project maths - from the point of view of getting the course covered in the time recommended or allocated. I'm particularly interested in LC but I'm interested in any and all views.

The more teachers I speak to recently, the more I hear serious concerns about the reality of trying to finish the course. It worries me that teachers of motivated students of reasonable aptitude seem to feel it is necessary to provide a significant amount of extra classes to ensure their students will be prepared. I have also heard many express concerns that the time pressures involved are a serious barrier to active learning methodolgies and developing problem solving skills. The reality of trying to bring up FL students, who have been strongly encouraged to do OL under the new course, is adding to the problem.

I am teaching in a DEIS school. Many of my students lack motivation and the simple fact is that they will not attend extra classes. At the moment we have pretty decent allocation of 4x40 minute periods and 1x70 minute double class. However, it is clear that this will not be enough and if teachers of motivated students are struggling with time then I'm very concerned about how we will fare.

This is becoming a huge issue in my school so I'm eager to hear others' experiences and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

You're not alone. See attachment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

My issue isn't with the the amount of content, it's more the delivery. I don't have time to spend a class with everyone rolling a dice. I've been using TY this year to spend ages on Probability and Statistics activities rather than teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

I had the misfortune of hearing Joe Duffy today, big hoo ha about students failing mocks in maths and project maths being a disaster generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

The mock papers are not written by the SEC. If students failed in large numbers it may well have more to do with the papers than the syllabus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

More importantly I think, the marking schemes are set by DEB and Examcraft and not the SEC and therefore are pretty reasonable.
    They don't give crazy high marks to the trivial parts a and b and then combine later parts of questions to have a miserable 5 marks covering two questions.
    Mark the LC exam next summer with a reasonable fair marking scheme and students will fail like they failed their mocks. Mark it with some contrived scheme like last year's and that will ensure that the results are improving year on year! Another success for project maths .;)

By the way, to answer the original question. I did what I always do and I make a week by week plan for the year allocating chapters of the book to each block of time. If we run out of time we don't finish the chapter. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

I had the misfortune of hearing Joe Duffy today, big hoo ha about students failing mocks in maths and project maths being a disaster generally.

Yeah I think that program today was a showcase for whining parents and pupils .Bit of a sickener to think theyve spent 100 mil on the aul Project Maths though ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

aye, heard it too but in fairness to joe it didn't turn into a teacher bashing session so I'll give him that, but it was obvious he hadn't done any study before the program aired (at least Pat Kenny does his bleedin homework).

I think however the substantive issue that came across was the sham PR spin thrown out by govt.

Ironic that a new initiative that is attempting to teach critical thinking and analysis of stats is hosted on its own petard...

Anyhow my two cent on the upshot so far:

Honours level maths has been devalued thanks to dickying about with the stats by govt. Also it has become more difficult in terms of mixed ability in higher level classes as previously' good 'ol students are clinging on by the finger nails just to get the bonus points (students also twigged that the marking scheme is open to abuse by sec)

As a consequence ordinary level is the new foundation despite the fact that internationally, OL maths in ireland was quite a decent standard.

universities have a case to answer, was it not them that helped design the course? Itll be interesting to hear their verdict after all their havering about previous students only being capable of rote learning...no doubt they'll blame the secondary teachers at the end of the day with some university research study.(and we'll blame the primary schools and they'll blame the parents).

Should be interesting to see how it pans out in about ten years or so,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

Armelodie wrote: »

As a consequence ordinary level is the new foundation

So true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

please report posts that are in breach of forum charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Everyone please follow the forum charter. In particular that you should attack the post content not the poster

• Advertisement
Advertisement