Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hawke sidewinder on a centrefire???

Options
  • 05-03-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm stuck for a scope for my 6.5 swede but cash is at a serious premium at the moment. Just wondering if a sidewinder would do the job for hunting? I was looking at the 8-32x56. What do Ye think? I have a 30 year old (rebuilt by S&B) S&B 6X42 to sell to help the budget but my Max is 400euro tops and thata IT. Any help would be great. Cheers all.
    LR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

A sidewinder would do fine. A mate of mine had great success with a 6-24x56 sidewinder on his .308 this year. He was able to accurately shoot out to 500 yards with it.
    He did think that the glass wasn't reall good enough for low light deer stalking, but he got on well enough all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

I have one on my .17 but i would not have any problem putting it on the .223 if i needed to ,very well built scope ,good glass for that money ,never heard a bad word about them from anybody , you wont get much better for that money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Had two (down to one) on two rifles. Both .308.

Pros
    • Cheap. Less than €400 brand new.
    • Excellent magnification (6-24 or 8-32)
    • Side parallax adjustment
    • Green and Red illuminated reticle
    • Mulitple choices of reticles
    • Target turrets, crisp, and definitive
    • Locking turrets to prevent accidental adjustment
    • Sunshade, and covers come as standard
    • Large objective lens, and 30mm body.
    • 30 year warranty

Cons
    • Slightly heavy for stalking, but nothing that would weight you down
    • Glass is not on a par with higher end scopes.

On both the rifles the scopes tracked perfectly. They never lost zero, and never shifted point of impact when changing magnification. So you can go from 6 to 24 or 8 to 32 power, and your point of impact will not shift.

Have used both of them out to 600 yards with no problems. For the budget/price they are hard to beat. Nothing offers as much in terms of features for the same money.

I still have one o the Remmy, but sold the other one with the Savage. I'd have no trouble recommending one to anyone.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Cheers lads, now I just have to choose between
    6-24 or 8-32!!! I could be taking shots at Charlie at 500 yards plus, as is the nature of the area so I'm leaning toward the 8-32.for an extra 40 quid it seems worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

You might find that unless its a high end scope with very good glass any magnification above x24 can become cloudy and you wont use it. Id say with Hawke the 6-24 might be a the better option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Longranger wrote: »
    Cheers lads, now I just have to choose between
    6-24 or 8-32!!! I could be taking shots at Charlie at 500 yards plus, as is the nature of the area so I'm leaning toward the 8-32.for an extra 40 quid it seems worth it.

I have one on my air rifle and find it pretty good. Opted for 6-24 x 56 as thats more than enough mag for the rifle its on.

Having looked through the 8-32 as well I can say that at the upper magnification, they are dark which is to be expected for the price range.

On that basis, you need to decide what your mag needs are going to be in the dark.

Foxing is no hassle for either scope but do you need much more than 16-20 max mag for your average shot? if not the 6-24 is fine but if you need more than that, go for the 32 which will be fine through the higher mag range but gets dark at its maximum and will not help you at night

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

Hi i would tell you to go with 6-24 and not 8-32 i had the 32x and could never use it over 20x 22x as it used to fog up and darken so the 32x was just a waste, sorry i didnt go with the 24x first day, high mag in low budget scopes just dont work

Advertisement