Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner

Options
  • 05-03-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm sure this is a very general and often asked question but here goes.

I would like to start yoga, I live in terenure and would appreciate any recommendations of classes within that area, templeogue, rathgar, Harold's cross, rathmines are all within range too.

I'm a gym bunny and weightlift 4 days a week, I would like yoga to supplement this training. I understand from my brief reading that there are many different types of yoga, so I guess a recommendation of a type that would compliment my current training.

I'm male 28, can touch my toes but that's about it.

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Hi Pokerking,
    I would recommend Ashtanga as being the best form of yoga as you are in your 20's, already working out...and mention fitness as one of your motivations rather than relaxation or meditation.

This is a strong physical form of yoga where you will likely be sweating from exertion after about 30 minutes, and in my mind one of the best forms of yoga for those who wish to work strongly with the body.

It has sequences of flowing movements.... and a form of breath work known as ujjayi which controls the blood pressure and thus maintains a more even heart beat and rate of breathing which in turn helps your inner focus and over time will increase your concentration or inner focus.

Also excellent at increasing will power and endurance.

Hopefully you will be able to find a very experienced ashtanga yoga teacher in that area who also practices meditation and who will be able to give you glimpses of wisdom during the practice so that at a later stage (maybe months...maybe years) your initial yoga practice will lead you to meditation and the more inner benefits of yoga.

There is more information about the different types of yoga at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/different-types-of-yoga/

Good ashtanga yoga teachers in Dublin include
    David Collins
    Gillian Mooney
    Ciara Cronin
    Paul Whelan
    Veronica Larsson

and their contact details can be found on the above website as well as most other yoga teachers in Dublin.

I would ask one of those teachers listed above to recommend an ashtanga yoga teacher in your own area... if one of them does not teach there already. There is a huge difference between an experienced teacher who has been practising over 10 years and some other yoga teachers. And your first footsteps on the path can be very influential on how your own journey will flow.

I wish you well with your practice.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

Advertisement