Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite in Apartment Block

Options
  • 05-03-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

We have been renting for 9 months and are sick looking for a property to buy. An apartment which ticks all our boxes has come up for sale but we have heard rumours that there is pyrite in them. How can we find out for sure? Is there a government dept that keeps a record of pyrite estates? I have 'phoned the Co Council but they could not or would not give any information. I know you can have tests done professionally to detect pyrite in houses but Is it possible to do tests on apartment blocks? Some of the the builders other housing estates have been confirmed as having pyrite. Apartments built about 2006. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

There was a court injunction prohibiting the naming of estates containing pyrite infested homes. Try and find out where the infill for the ground floor. Developers sourced from different quarries so if pyrite hasn't done any damage yet, your'e apartment block is probably okay,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

clunked wrote: »
    There was a court injunction prohibiting the naming of estates containing pyrite infested homes. Try and find out where the infill for the ground floor. Developers sourced from different quarries so if pyrite hasn't done any damage yet, your'e apartment block is probably okay,

totally agree. If you cant see something in 7 years Id say the chance of pyrite having been used in the foundations is minimal.

Might be worth PMing Engineermike (i think thats his username) if anybody might have decent information its him. I know hes been compiling a pyrite map for affected estates in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chip_Daley

In apartment blocks affected by Pyrite it's the ground floor apartments that will bare the brunt of the damage. Is the apartment on the ground floor? Ask some of the residents if they have any problems, chances are they will let you know. Although there is a court injunction on estates being named publicly, there are ways around it, if you want to message me. Also do not take it that just because there are no obvious signs of damage after seven years that everything is ok, the owners could have repaired damage to put it on market. So essentially ground floor apartments are ones that are most likely to be damaged but as these will be remediated 'soon' the first floor apartments can expect some disruption. Be very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

If there are pyrites in an apartment block it will also be in the common areas. All of the apartments will suffer some disruption when this is remediated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

OP, if you are on facebook try https://www.facebook.com/PyriteAction?fref=ts , Pyrite Action would have a good handle on which estates have issues.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

D3PO wrote: »
    totally agree. If you cant see something in 7 years Id say the chance of pyrite having been used in the foundations is minimal.

Might be worth PMing Engineermike (i think thats his username) if anybody might have decent information its him. I know hes been compiling a pyrite map for affected estates in Ireland.

Hi,
    The effects or resulting indications of pyrite contamination in the 'infill' of foundations can show early depending on site drainage or topography, however 8 - 10 years is the average after hardcore fill was laid for the signs to occur.
    The steps to assess should be as follows.
    1. Pre purchase survey by a suitably qualified engineer, making note to him / her of your concerns when engaging him.
    (ensure adequate professional indemnity is carried by the eng. for this service)
    2. Based upon this inspection & report the engineer is likely to recommend that you request from the builder / or original architect - test certificates for the hard core fill that came to site. Your solicitor would be seeking the original architects opinion on compliance with building regulations & he /she can formally request test certificates on your behalf. (a quick check to see that the arch tec. is still trading & their PI offers some further possible cover)
    3. Local knowledge is important, i.e did the same builder build another estate locally that has confirmed pyrite damage around the same period ?
    4. Knowledge of the quarry that supplied the hard core fill, any reports - court cases or media reports on said quarry.
    5. Google is a great tool to get some back story on a development / area - / builder etc. - its very hard to keep bad news off the internet.
    6. Management company accounts, if the builder is involved still in the management company then they may not be forth coming if you query your concerns with them, however its hard to hide a large expenditure or substantial work carried out in the past to cover up repeat damage that is progressive.

Caution & sound professional advice is the best way to move forward & get a full picture, however the decision to purchase still is still yours and should be weighed up against what your finding out.
    The pyrite list / map we are compiling is going to have to stay un published with court injunctions etc. going about - nor I or my co. want to be challenged on information that we make public. However it is useful for private and confidential reporting to our clients etc.
    "Caveat emptor" is the best advice I could note.
    mike f

• Registered Users Posts: 37 38 redwood

Thank you all so very much for your time and advice. I have a few friends living there and I have viewed some apartments and houses for sale and I have never seen any damage to walls or floors. I would not like to worry my friends about unconfirmed rumours of pyrite as they love it there and just have positive things to say about them. We will continue renting where we are and try and do more investigating. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Advertisement