Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

This ideal of control is part of the same patriarchal worldview that refuses to label domestic violence for what it is;
    that insists on publishing praise for a man who has just brutally murdered his wife and three children; that almost entirely omits the one woman from the story.

Both of these are very odd statements to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I guess you could call this men being sexist against men :pac: but serious point though men coming "to the rescue" of a damsel often do more harm than good or escalate a situation and the have a go hero ends up in hospital or dead

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/01/guy-gets-attacked-by-girlfriend-then-by-passer-by-who-mis-read-the-situation-6104229/#mv-b
    A holidaymaker who was attacked with two knives by his drunk girlfriend was then beaten up by a man who misread the situation.

Raffal Kossowski, 37, heard a woman screaming from a holiday chalet in Towyn, North Wales, a court heard.

Jumping to the wrong conclusion, the have-a-go hero ran to the chalet and kicked Daniel Copeland with such force he broke his arm. reports Birmingham Mail.

Kossowki, from Birmingham, then dragged Copeland out of the chalet where he was beaten up by two other men.

The victim’s then girlfriend, Megan Natasha Evans, had been attacking him with a knife, before Kossowki arrived, causing a serious injury to his abdomen, said Judge Niclas Parry at Mold Crown Court.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    I like that the judge sent a strong message sentencing them both to about equal suspended sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

source wrote: »
    http://www.linneadunne.com/2016/08/31/rest-in-peace-invisible-woman/

This article was shared by someone I know on Facebook.

Apparently it wasn't a mental health issue that caused the horrific deaths in Cavan but...get this...the patriarchy!!!
    We hear about tragic killings like these every now and then. Nine times out of ten (I don’t have statistics, but my hunch is that the figure is far higher), the perpetrator is a man. Lots of people, men and women and non-binary people, struggle with mental illness, but it takes more than mental torture to brutally murder your own children. There is a patriarchal narrative that runs through this entire story, from the act itself to the reporting of it, and we need to allow ourselves to see it if we are to find a way to prevent similar events from happening again.
    Now in the Guardian:
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/sep/01/how-a-murdered-woman-became-invisible-in-the-coverage-of-her-death

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

iptba wrote: »
    (From blogger featured in the Guardian)
    We hear about tragic killings like these every now and then. Nine times out of ten (I don’t have statistics, but my hunch is that the figure is far higher), the perpetrator is a man.

If the author of that blog has a 'hunch' that the figure is higher than 9/10, then I would suggest it has more to do with their own ideological bias than anything else.

I don't know if we have official figures on this in Ireland. However, worldwide studies show a much different picture, for both filicide, and filicide-suicide.

This was a study on filicide (minus suicide of the perpetrator) carried out in Austria and Finland in 2010:
    This study aimed to discover gender differences in filicide offenders' psychiatric diagnoses, history, and other mental health-related variables. This nationwide register-based study covered all filicide offenders (n = 124) in Austria and Finland in 1995–2005. There were 79 female and 45 male offenders. Both genders had an equally challenged childhood.(Putkonen et al. 2010)

In cases of filicide-suicide, Australia saw 41 of them from 1997 - 2008 in which multiple killings took place. Studies show that 40% of perpetrators were the father and 60% of the perpetrators being the mother (Kirkwood 2012).

In the UK between 1997-2006, 45 cases of filicide-suicide were recorded. The statistics showed 56% of perpetrators were the father, 44% being the mother (Flynn et al. 2013).

I recall reading the NSPCC in the UK consistently show a near 50/50 split between mothers and fathers for cases of filicide (with no suicide). The figures in Canada and the US showing slightly more fathers than mothers being responsible. So, the 9/10 figure quoted in that article (and in the blog) is a bit irresponsible, because the author could not be bothered to do a fact check on the topic. I suppose it would be straying too far off narrative to be objective.

The bigger picture is a hell of a lot more complex than a 'hunch', that much is for sure. In some countries more men are responsible, in other countries more women are. Unfortunately, these things can't be explained away by throwing out the evil 'patriarchy' spiel.

Flynn, S. M., Shaw, J. J., & Abel, K. M. (2013). Filicide: mental illness in those who kill their children. PloS one, 8(4), e58981.

Kirkwood, D. (2012). Heeding the warning signs: Recognising family violence as a risk for filicide. DVRCV Quarterly, (2), 1.

Putkonen, H., Amon, S., Eronen, M., Klier, C. M., Almiron, M. P., Cederwall, J. Y., & Weizmann-Henelius, G. (2010). Child murder and gender differences–A nationwide register-based study of filicide offenders in two European countries. The Journal of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology, 21(5), 637-648.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would guess that the low sample sizes account more for the variations than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I believe it's just all a case of who is more "valuable" for media being blunt.

The father is the perpetrator in this who murdered his wife and 2 children. What was going on inside his head? Were there warning signs? Was he depressed or an evil killer? Loads of column inches and sensationalism there.

Then you have the kids, emotional gold for the media as almost all parents couldn't imagine their kids being hurt or killed by anyone and most certainly not by their own hands. Then drag up plenty of pictures of the kids looking happy and innocent.

The wife/mother cannot compete to the same degree, particularly if she is just a normal person and doesn't have any skeletons in her closet.

The above seems very cynical but I believe it's not too far from the mark. I really cannot see this as a case of patriarchy, she has just being overshadowed by her kids as victims.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A quick google finds the following:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bloody-frenzy-of-a-mother-filled-with-life-and-laughter-26408675.html

Features 20 plus 'paragraphs' (it's the Indo) before they even mention the husband who came home to find his family slaughtered. Before that we get stuff like the following:
    LARA BRADLEY DESPITE whatever cruel twist caused Mary Keegan to stab to death the sons she loved so much - and then take her own life - the tragic mother is being described by her family and close friends as a warm and funny person who was so full of life.

On Friday, the bubbly brunette called to visit her boys' childminder Mary Russell, who lives nearby in the middle-class suburb of Firhouse, to drop off a present for Mrs Russell's newly-married daughter.

Patriarchy.

... and two female college friends of mine have shared the article on facebook too. ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just reading earlier where the head of Women's Aid was complaining about people talking about a crime of passion, despair or love in the context of the case as that makes the victims invisible. One wonders if she has ever spoke out about any female killers being spoken of like that.

I remember distinctly when the female psychiatrist from Kilkenny drowned her son in the bath, almost all that was spoken about was how she really loved him. No problem with that happening down the line but this was within days, when people knew very little.

Lots of comments surrounding this case are very odd. Takes a special kind of person to use murders of this nature to peddle their agenda. That head of Women's aid also said today that 'Patriarchal concepts and attitudes are red flags for domestic homicide'. News to me. Anyone ever heard that before?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cavan-murder-suicide-its-common-for-abusive-partners-to-threaten-death-419019.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    mzungu wrote: »
    If the author of that blog has a 'hunch' that the figure is higher than 9/10, then I would suggest it has more to do with their own ideological bias than anything else.
    Aye. In cases where there is even a sniff of an in for them, the feminist harridans and their allies are in like flynn to push their agenda. In their world "hunches" that is Feelz trump actual facts. Again if we pass it through the filter of "women are always victims, men are always to blame" we have a winner.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The opening paragraph:
    Women’s Aid has revealed how common it is for men to threaten to kill their partners and their children during domestic violence incidents.

News to me! I know the Irish are prone to saying, "I'll kill ya" but not in a literal sense. To say it is common is sensationalism. Of course they ignore female abusers.

article

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye. In cases where there is even a sniff of an in for them, the feminist harridans and their allies are in like flynn to push their agenda. In their world "hunches" that is Feelz trump actual facts. Again if we pass it through the filter of "women are always victims, men are always to blame" we have a winner.
    Hilariously factions of the left jumped on Newt Gingrich for saying that perception of crime rates and danger were more important than actual statistics. Wonder how much crossover there is on that Venn diagram.

More on the tragic Cavan case in the Guardian:
    Reporting of man who killed his family too sympathetic, say women's groups

Irish organisations condemn media coverage of teacher Alan Hawe, who killed his wife and children in County Cavan
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/02/reporting-alan-hawe-murder-suicide-family-sympathetic-say-womens-groups-wife-children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

No
    A former colleague of mine turned journalist posted the below on Facebook
    The sanctimonious hoards on social media and the a la mode insult hungry columnists have criticised coverage of the Cavan murder /suicide.
    They claim that journalists, including myself, left out details about Clodagh Hawe because of some involvement in an anti-woman conspiracy.
    The reason was because it was, until day three, impossible to get a photograph of her and anyone that knew her to talk to us.
    On day three my colleagues and I, in my paper, did a spread and a splash about Clodagh.
    None of us reporters that worked in Cavan for those three days are misogynist members of an anti-woman conspiracy.
    The Guardian led the way today. It is disgusting that you can be a professor of journalism and criticise reporters without doing any journalism - ie without contacting any of us to hear the reasons for how difficult it was to get a picture of Clodagh.
    That was the only thing that was missing - I know because I wrote the story.
    You know her name because I and other journalists told you her name.
    You know she was a teacher from Mountnugent in Cavan who taught in a school near Kells, you know she was a kind, caring murder victim who loved her three kids, all because people like me told you that.
    Very easy to write a sanctimonious blog from the safety of the high morale ground of twitter or where ever. Very easy to disregard the work we did in trying to tell the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

source wrote: »
    A former colleague of mine turned journalist posted the below on Facebook

Twitter in its wisdom was quite up in arms with Michael O' Toole of the Star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Twitter in its wisdom was quite up in arms with Michael O' Toole of the Star.

Id imagine so, people dont like being told theyve been talking horse****

Be interesting to see if the Guardian is as quick to publish this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Extensive report just now on RTE Radio 1 on why men commit familicide without the slightest acknowledgement of the possibility that women may too.

In this article by Susan Daly, published in September 2010, six Irish cases of murder/suicide, or murders of children by their mothers over a period of about nine years are detailed. There have been more since.

Anybody have accurate stats on Filicide, familicide etc in Ireland. I am struggling to find any

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

py2006 wrote: »
    Anybody have accurate stats on Filicide, familicide etc in Ireland. I am struggling to find any

I do recall some years ago that when Womens Aid published detailed figures on the number of women killed by their male partners, John Waters contacted them to inquire how many men were killed by their female partners. Their response was to the effect that didn't know and it was of no interest to them.

Briefing: Murder - suicide and media reporting

30% of males had recently experienced a decrease in status at work or job loss

http://nsrf.ie/wp-content/uploads/Briefings/Briefing%20Murder-Suicide%20and%20Media%20Reporting%20NSRF%2030-08-16.pdf

Not sexism per se but an example of how work status can feel very important for a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Interesting one in the Guardian today

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/07/cps-report-violence-against-women-girl-men-boys-victims-violent-crime

Basically, the CPS report titled "Violence against Women and Girls" includes violence against men and boys in it. It's stated in brackets in the small print, but the title is what people will remember. Lumping men and boys in it pumps up the numbers under Violence against women and girls. Are actual figures for men and boys not important enough to be published clearly? Deliberately manipulating stats or just accidently misleading figures?

newport2 wrote: »
    Interesting one in the Guardian today

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/07/cps-report-violence-against-women-girl-men-boys-victims-violent-crime

Basically, the CPS report titled "Violence against Women and Girls" includes violence against men and boys in it. It's stated in brackets in the small print, but the title is what people will remember. Lumping men and boys in it pumps up the numbers under Violence against women and girls. Are actual figures for men and boys not important enough to be published clearly? Deliberately manipulating stats or just accidently misleading figures?

I found this comment underneath interesting
    And the majority of elder abuse is by women.

I did a very quick search. The first statistics I found were:

http://www.eapu.com.au/elder-abuse
    Even though there are more women than men in older populations, older women are still more likely to be abused than older men. A major 1998 incidence study conducted by the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA*) found that overall a disproportionate number of older women were victims of abuse compared to men, although older men were more likely to be victims of abandonment. However women also represented nearly half (47.5%) of the perpetrators of abuse in this NCEA study while adult sons and daughters combined to create the single biggest category of abusers. This would suggest that there are more factors than gender at work in elder abuse situations.

^^

never thought of elder abuse, interesting aside for sure. I'm waiting for more to be made of lesbian abuse which apparently is statistically the most abusive type of relationship whereas gay men are similar enough to the average. given the zeitgeist you would reckon 2 women should be paradise on the scale of relationships, men being so toxic and all :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Panthro wrote: »

This article here in the New York Times expands a good bit on it: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/07/us/campuses-cautiously-train-freshmen-against-subtle-insults.html?_r=1

This section of it caught my eye, especially the part in bold.:
    Ms. Marlowe, a lawyer who most recently was diversity officer at the University of California, Santa Cruz, was also recruited by two other colleges this year before settling at Clark, a manicured campus of about 3,000 students an hour west of Boston in this heavily working-class city.

Her two-hour presentation on Aug. 27 aimed to help students identify microaggressions and to teach them how to intervene when they observe one. Microaggressions can be verbal, nonverbal or environmental, she said.

“What’s an environmental microaggression?” Ms. Marlowe asked the auditorium of about 525 new students. She gave an example. “On your first day of class, you enter the chemistry building and all of the pictures on the wall are scientists who are white and male,” she said. “If you’re a female, or you just don’t identify as a white male, that space automatically shows that you’re not represented.”

A nonverbal microaggression could be when a white woman clutches her purse as a black or Latino person approaches.

Another subset of microaggression is known as the microinvalidation, which includes comments suggesting that race plays a minor role in life’s outcomes, like “Everyone can succeed in this society if they work hard enough.”

For Clark students like Noelia Martinez, a Massachusetts resident who was born in Puerto Rico to Dominican parents, the session was an epiphany.

“It helped me understand what I’ve been going through all of my life, basically,” she said, describing how she had endured stinging comments such as “You’re a really good student for a Hispanic.”

But Ms. Martinez, a sophomore transfer student, also realized that she, too, was guilty of microaggressions, because she frequently uses the phrase “you guys,” she said. “This helped me see that I’m a microaggressor, too.”

:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Not speaking for anyone else here but I'm glad I got what I needed from Uni before all this sh*te took off. Mad that I would have thought that Universities were just the place for debate and innovation. Alas.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Lol bloody lol!

They should also avoid asking Irish or Irish American students drinking related questions such as where is the best bar around just to be safe.

Third level institutions are turning into some joke these days. I shudder to think what any children i have will have to endure, debating and academic discussions will probably be banned in case anyone gets upset that other people might have a different viewpoint to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was reading last night of a Harvard Graduate (gender studies*) trying to get research into any topic that would contradict her core beliefs banned. Will try to dig it out.

*surprise surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

I finished 3rd level about two years ago, after a 5 year stint in, didn't encounter too much of the above really. Saying that, I didn't actively look for it either or associate much with student politics & certain clubs & scocs where it might be more likely to pop up.

Socially, usually i'd give that type a wide berth, couldn't be arsed. It might be just the circles I was involved with, but I got the impression many were in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Hmmmm... It's a very recent thing. Very recent in Europe anyway. It's a lot older in the US where we seem to be importing it from for some reason. The yanks have a fair bit of stuff worth importing but, 1) We've already got the good stuff and 2) they're welcome to this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I was reading last night of a Harvard Graduate (gender studies*) trying to get research into any topic that would contradict her core beliefs banned. Will try to dig it out.

Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJwWYsAk1I8

http://www.thecrimson.com/column/the-red-line/article/2014/2/18/academic-freedom-justice/

Third level institutions are turning into some joke these days. I shudder to think what any children i have will have to endure, debating and academic discussions will probably be banned in case anyone gets upset that other people might have a different viewpoint to them.
    Are they really? Is there any evidence that this sort of thing is really that widespread or now considered the norm?

Can't recall where but I did see something recently that indicated that it's not and that the majority of uni students these days aren't the coddled children they're increasingly being made out to be. Didn't surprise me; most of the time when you read this stuff it's from some small corner in the US. It's a big planet and if you're determined to find idiocy, the internet will facilitate. How many people go to university and how many cases like these are there?

Not speaking for anyone else here but I'm glad I got what I needed from Uni before all this sh*te took off. Mad that I would have thought that Universities were just the place for debate and innovation. Alas.
    Aye, a few short years has made a big difference. Though I noticed some of it creeping in a little bit in my last year.
    Are they really? Is there any evidence that this sort of thing is really that widespread or now considered the norm?

Can't recall where but I did see something recently that indicated that it's not and that the majority of uni students these days aren't the coddled children they're increasingly being made out to be. Didn't surprise me; most of the time when you read this stuff it's from some small corner in the US. It's a big planet and if you're determined to find idiocy, the internet will facilitate. How many people go to university and how many cases like these are there?
    In TCD they had a kind of privilege race in Front Square. Where the "privilege" was called out and if you had it you took a step forward. Yeah, it's a funny old world.

In TCD they had a kind of privilege race in Front Square. Where the "privilege" was called out and if you had it you took a step forward. Yeah, it's a funny old world.

That sounds like great fun.
    Would studying not be a better use of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I hope any young feminist that has been through the Irish education system and realises how much society now favours them in 2016 took 10 steps forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That sounds like great fun.
    Would studying not be a better use of time?

Too much stress and focus on study might trigger them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Letree wrote: »
    I hope any young feminist that has been through the Irish education system and realises how much society now favours them in 2016 took 10 steps forward.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/trinity-students-take-privilege-walk-to-highlight-access-issues-1.2599225

I doubt it as they choose the questions themselves so they phrase the privilege the way they want.
    They are aware that they may not be the first people you’d expected to meet, but they are here to make a point about “levelling playing fields”.

All three are conscious that by getting a degree at TCD they are currently sucking up privilege themselves, so are happy to play this game of give and take.

I wonder what they want to do to try and level a playing field. If your parents had books in your house growing up that is a point of privilege. How do they propose to address this? The current system is allowing the most qualified people attend and then they provide grants and funding programmes to allow those who are still talanted but not able to afford the cost to try and get in. If this approach is not good enough what are they actually proposing to level the playing fields even more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Doom Chicken

Interesting article in the independent today about the physical test requirements for the gardaí

“Fighting fit? Garda seeks fitter recruits in the battle against crime”

Seems as though the requirements are being split for men and women … again

"Male applicants will also be required to complete between 29 and 35 sit-ups in one minute, according to their age; while females will be required to complete between 25 and 30 sit-ups in one minute
    Furthermore, men will be required to complete between 22 and 25 press-ups, with no time restriction, while females will be required to complete between 18 and 20 push-ups."

I thought this type of thing was done away with back in 2001 when the height restriction was removed …

Now I know this is minor and because the difference is so minor I don’t see why an able bodied woman couldn’t pass the same physical requirements as men, I mean this isn’t SEAL training, its fairly basic.

While you have to acknowledge that the physical strength of men and women are different the challenges they face on the street are the same therefore surely the requirements should be the same?

Has the whole snowflake, feminist influenced, safe space generation thing crept into Irish Universities or is it just in the US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    Interesting article in the independent today about the physical test requirements for the gardaí

“Fighting fit? Garda seeks fitter recruits in the battle against crime”

Seems as though the requirements are being split for men and women … again

Could be worse. For the army women don't even need to do real push ups.

http://www.military.ie/en/careers/fitness-testing-centre/defence-forces-fitness-tests/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Maguined wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/trinity-students-take-privilege-walk-to-highlight-access-issues-1.2599225

I doubt it as they choose the questions themselves so they phrase the privilege the way they want.

I wonder what they want to do to try and level a playing field. If your parents had books in your house growing up that is a point of privilege. How do they propose to address this? The current system is allowing the most qualified people attend and then they provide grants and funding programmes to allow those who are still talanted but not able to afford the cost to try and get in. If this approach is not good enough what are they actually proposing to level the playing fields even more?

I was quite interested in the comment from the 2nd year history and economics student. “I’m not privileged, because I come from a Traveller background,” he says unequivocally.

It's amazing to think that there is a young lad out there right now studying for a degree at Ireland's top university who honestly believes that he doesn't have privilege.

I can imagine him walking past the homeless sleeping in doorways marvelling at the privileged lives these young white straight males must be living inside their makeshift cardboard abodes.

If you are attending university at all then you are easily one of the most privileged members of our society.

It's mind boggling to me that you could ask a 2nd year economics student if they are privileged and they would "unequivocally" say no.

That's kind of depressing actually.

This privilege thing is turning out a bit like the Caste system in India.

In recent time some of the higher castes in India have been fighting to be declared lower caste. Why? Because then they are entitled to some extra benefits and may be affected by positive discrimination for some jobs, college places etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

py2006 wrote: »
    Has the whole snowflake, feminist influenced, safe space generation thing crept into Irish Universities or is it just in the US?

It's alive and well in the UK; more so in some of the London universities than elsewhere around the country perhaps at any rate, although also perhaps not quite as far gone as the apparent lunacy on offer in the US.

So who is at the top of the privilege line?
    Ruane laughs. “Probably young males… middle-class... white….straight…able bodied….”

Well that's me f**ked then. I think it's madness to make people feel bad (and no matter what they say that's what they are doing) about things that they cannot change. The only thing I could actually change there is able bodied, and naturally who is going to voluntarily hack off an arm or leg.

I for one would refuse to take part in that crap. I should be judged on my personality, and for an university my academic and working history, not on what is between my legs, the colour of my skin, my parents wealth levels, or that I have been lucky enough not to have major deformities from birth or haven't been involved in serious accidents.

Was more looking for evidence that's a little less anecdotal, e.g.: http://www.knightfoundation.org/media/uploads/publication_pdfs/FreeSpeech_campus.pdf
    By 78% to 22%, more students say colleges should expose students to all types of
    speech and viewpoints than say colleges should prohibit biased or offensive speech in the
    furtherance of a positive learning environment. They are more likely than U.S. adults (66%) to
    say this.

On the other hand...
    There is a real perception that campuses are not fully open environments. A slight majority of
    students, 54%, say the climate on their campus prevents some people from saying what they
    believe because others might find it offensive.

Creeping influence of a noisy minority, or perception creating reality, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TommyRiordan

Not sure if it's been posted but these spring to mind;

http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/26/people-are-going-crazy-for-this-handsome-police-officer-6092794/
    PSNI officer fawned over for his supposed good looks on social media doing the rounds. Correct me if I'm wrong but there would PSNI policewoman being fawned over on the same social media.

Also 5 years, still not quotas over the wagegap here either?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37166043

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hate the way third wave feminism depicts all women as being weak hormonal creatures who need protection.

My mother is one of the most fearsome individuals I've ever known. An individual who inflicted violence on both myself and my siblings. The roles were reversed in my household, my father was a good man but he was weaker than her and failed to protect us from her brutality.

Women are capable of the very same evil as men. It often depends on the type mate they have.

In our case I can safely say that our Dad was a beta male. A stronger male might have put a stop to the behaviour.

what do ye make of this advert?

• Advertisement

maybe
    In our case I can safely say that our Dad was a beta male. A stronger male might have put a stop to the behaviour.

I was with you until this part. Why do we need to drop dopey Yank PUA words here? If the abuser was a male, would you use the same term on his wife who "let it happen?"

Advertisement