Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    In fairness it's the same with divorce, an automatic assumption is "what did he do?". I wonder in today's same sex marriage world how will they manage to explain a female/female divorce?

The same way they explain lesbian domestic violence.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

py2006 wrote: »
    The aul 'guys are always to blame' angle again:

'Guys cheat because they want to, girls cheat because there's something wrong in the relationship' - Niamh Horan

Not familiar with Niamh Horan, is she another Mullally/O'Neill?

Niamh Horan is a troll

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    GLaDOS wrote: »
    Niamh Horan is a troll

I'd add the adjective "Professional". It's becoming more and more common sadly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

She really isn't. She just doesn't buy into victim hood and the usual quota/lefty mindset. Those really are her views.

Interesting that if you tend to go against these lefty views you're typically labelled a sexist, racist, misogynist or homophobe.....so it's very interesting that the three most famous "trolls" are Katie Hopkins, Milo Yiannopolous and now Niamh Horan, two women and a gay man......where the usual ****ty tag line descriptions won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

'Guys cheat because they want to, girls cheat because there's something wrong in the relationship' - Niamh Horan

She may have a point in general, but it is a blinkered view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Connacht2KXX

I agree with her that, on average, men and women cheat for different reasons. The reasons she offers aren't completely correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I don't know, if there is something wrong with the relationship (which I am assuming by her logic its the man that is the problem) then you end it. You don't blame the man because you are a woman having an affair.

Some people are assholes and cheat and thats that. Some men cheat for the sake of it, others cheat because they have an unhappy relationship. To suggest ALL women cheat because of the man she is with, well that is just the modern feminist logic that women can never be wrong and the nearest man is to blame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

To suggest ALL women cheat because of the man she is with well that is just the modern feminist logic that women can never be wrong and the nearest man is to blame!

Absolutely and it's largely down to the society these women have been raised in as over the past 40 years western society has put women on a pedestal and so why wouldn't they think that the sun shines out of their arses and that imperfections or flaws in their behaviours must be the responsibility of the unfairer sex. The queen thinks the world smells like fresh paint and all that.

I remember years ago reading some study that had a headline along the same tone which The Guardian had ran, surprise surprise, but when you looked deeper it turned out the questions where slightly different that they gave the women than the men. Indeed a lot of these kind of psych studies have their answers firmly in mind before they even begin. Here's an article which appears not to have had a dog in the race (as it were) and which noted:
    You’re probably wondering whether men and women differed in their reasons for and reactions to extramarital affairs. Because the gender distribution was so unbalanced, conclusions about sex differences are very hard to draw. Although Omarzu and her fellow researchers reported a fair number of statistically significant differences, they concluded that the women they recruited “in many respects responded similarly to men” (p. 161).

In fact, they believe that “assumptions based on gender may not always hold true” (p. 161). Anyone, male or female, can feel that sex or emotional intimacy are missing from their relationship, and therefore seek either or both in an affair. These findings confirm what we already know about the differences, or lack of, between men and women in their sexual desires.

The findings also show that a substantial group of people who engage in extramarital affairs are pretty good at shifting the responsibility away from themselves. Many claimed that the decision to enter into the affair was a mutual one, that their affairs were justified, and that they felt no guilt.

However, the extramarital relationships tended to be relatively long-term, and the participants treated them as important. Though a substantial number felt no guilt at all, the majority did experience guilt and anxiety, even those who engaged in multiple affairs.

My own experiences of knowing mates who had to deal with cheating partners, and who indulged in a little infidelity themselves, would back the above up. Even had one mate who cheated purely for revenge after having caught his wife of five years in bed with a guy she had met at the school gates while dropping of his/their kids. There really is little or no difference to why people cheat. The differences tend to be in how it's all expressed by each gender after the event. Yes, women will tend to say it was for emotional reasons and the woman I mentioned did say as much but she had just met the guy that fecking day. How much emotional support was she expecting from a one night afternoon stand exactly.

Anyway, that Horan woman (no pun intended, honest) is not the first to come out with such bollox as Amanda Holden has said the pretty much the same. Yes, that's the same Amanda Holden that cheated on Les Dennis with Neil Morrisey (dickhead that he is - no time for cheaters nor cheat-with-ers). Les left her shortly afterwards and famously did Celebrity Big Brother in deep depression, but I digress, here's those poor me, women get a raw deal compared to men, fcuktarded comments that she came out with:
    “Most women seek love and affirmation. They don’t seek sex – they need something much deeper. And they’re not going to go anywhere for that unless they’re missing it.

“Men can go out, come back and not think about it, whereas women live with the guilt and get punished for it. People still talk about it to me and it’s been, what, 20 years?

“Look at Lenny Henry and Angus Deayton – or any of the men who had huge public affairs or did awful things with hookers and drugs and everything. They don’t get mentioned again.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Absolutely and it's largely down to the society these women have been raised in as over the past 40 years western society has put women on a pedestal and so why wouldn't they think that the sun shines out of their arses and that imperfections or flaws in their behaviours must be the responsibility of the unfairer sex. The queen thinks the world smells like fresh paint and all that.

I remember years ago reading some study that had a headline along the same tone which The Guardian had ran, surprise surprise, but when you looked deeper it turned out the questions where slightly different that they gave the women than the men. Indeed a lot of these kind of psych studies have their answers firmly in mind before they even begin. Here's an article which appears not to have had a dog in the race (as it were) and which noted:

My own experiences of knowing mates who had to deal with cheating partners, and who indulged in a little infidelity themselves, would back the above up. Even had one mate who cheated purely for revenge after having caught his wife of five years in bed with a guy she had met at the school gates while dropping of his/their kids. There really is little or no difference to why people cheat. The differences tend to be in how it's all expressed by each gender after the event. Yes, women will tend to say it was for emotional reasons and the woman I mentioned did say as much but she had just met the guy that fecking day. How much emotional support was she expecting from a one night afternoon stand exactly.

Anyway, that Horan woman (no pun intended, honest) is not the first to come out with such bollox as Amanda Holden has said the pretty much the same. Yes, that's the same Amanda Holden that cheated on Les Dennis with Neil Morrisey (dickhead that he is - no time for cheaters nor cheat-with-ers). Les left her shortly afterwards and famously did Celebrity Big Brother in deep depression, but I digress, here's those poor me, women get a raw deal compared to men, fcuktarded comments that she came out with:

The growth of love honey, Ann summers and other dildo suppliers would appear to scupper this argument that women seek something more than a good toe trembling.

Not much cuddle from a rabbit really. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Some harrowing interview on news talk this morning oh domestic violence, as bad as it is and all again lack of balance comes through as it's only portraying the bad men of Ireland.

Some of the texts from abused men afterwards illustrated it can be just as bad on the other side.

• Advertisement

Meant to say also that isn't it ironic (although no doubt lost on her) that Holden claimed that nobody ever mentions that Angus Deyton or Lenny Henry cheated, while she does that very bloody thing: mentions it. Incidentally, she is incorrect as what they did is dragged up all the time in articles in the tabloids, particularly with regards to Lenny, and Deyton pretty much lost his career, but meanwhile Amanda's has gone from strength to strength despite her cheating.

Here's another doozie from her and Philip Schofield also chimes in towards the end with a sneering white knight esque dismissive remark right after a point is made which he clearly had no retort to. It without question is sexist in the extreme as there is no way that twat would ever pose a similarly toned loaded question to a woman who had question the benefits of marriage for her gender.

Meant to say also that isn't it ironic (although no doubt lost on her) that Holden claimed that nobody ever mentions that Angus Deyton or Lenny Henry cheated, while she does that very bloody thing: mentions it. Incidentally, she is incorrect as what they did is dragged up all the time in articles in the tabloids, particularly with regards to Lenny, and Deyton pretty much lost his career, but meanwhile Amanda's has gone from strength to strength despite her cheating.

Here's another doozie from her and Philip Schofield also chimes in towards the end with a sneering white knight esque dismissive remark right after a point is made which he clearly had no retort to. It without question is sexist in the extreme as there is no way that twat would ever pose a similarly toned loaded question to a woman who had question the benefits of marriage for her gender.

Not sure it was really cheating per se that cost Angus his career. More the coke and hookers side of it. He was made mincemeat by Ian and Paul and it could not have worked anymore on hignfy. If he had just cheated I'm sure he would still be in television.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Not sure it was really cheating per se that cost Angus his career. More the coke and hookers side of it. He was made mincemeat by Ian and Paul and it could not have worked anymore on hignfy. If he had just cheated I'm sure he would still be in television.

Fair enough but she's acting like men can do what they like in the media and there's no consequences for them. Grant Bovey, Darren Day etc etc show that society does very much look down on men who cheat as much as they do women. I don't see anyone looking up to men like that or giving them a free pass in the way she suggests is all.

I remember that interview. Schofield is a snivelling weasel, hamming it up for the people he know are probably at home clapping him, a bit like Tubridy and his "burn the witch" schtick with Hopkins! Outrageous double standard.

I like Philip. In fairness too him, he was probably told to ask that question. They have 'script' writers and he does have a list of questions in front of him.

py2006 wrote:
    I like Philip. In fairness too him, he was probably told to ask that question. They have 'script' writers and he does have a list of questions in front of him.

He seems the type. I always liked him as a kid, Going Live and all that, but he knows how the bread is buttered.

I bet Twitter is pleased with this piece from Laura Kennedy in the Irish Times...

What do you mean that Twitter would be pleased?

I thought it was nice to see her writing something like that. See she has got a little stick for it in from a few of the usual suspects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was joking. Certain corners of Twitter don't hesitate to kick off about something that doesn't confirm to particular narratives or groupthink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,692 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

US colleges are fked in the head

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

silverharp wrote: »
    US colleges are fked in the head

That is ****ing unbelievable :confused: Can you imagine if the roles were reversed in that one?

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    That is ****ing unbelievable :confused: Can you imagine if the roles were reversed in that one?

It just goes to show the toxic influence of modern feminism. All women are victims regardless etc.

How could she live with herself? At least age lost her original friends. But unfortunately she hooked up with some feminist victim group.

It just goes to show the toxic influence of modern feminism. All women are victims regardless etc.

How could she live with herself? At least age lost her original friends. But unfortunately she hooked up with some feminist victim group.

the setup has been behind other stories like this , some girl has does something she isnt proud of, falls into the orbit of a feminist group and suddenly reinterprets everything, add it together with a dodgy legal system or the gerry rigged college version of it and its good lucksy

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Chief constable of Greater Manchester Police, admitted leaving his assistant chief Rebekah Sutcliffe at a bar despite knowing she was drunk

Basically two female police officers behaved inappropriately at a work party. Nearest man is being blamed.

Obama's America. What a jokeshop. Poor guy in that story, sadly that is what is being lobbied for over here.

Chief constable of Greater Manchester Police, admitted leaving his assistant chief Rebekah Sutcliffe at a bar despite knowing she was drunk

Basically two female police officers behaved inappropriately at a work party. Nearest man is being blamed.

Wow. It is getting beyond ridiculous now. That is nothing to do with him and his name should never even have come up. Quite remarkable how quickly this blame game is evolving.

I'm a woman. I take no responsibility for my own actions seems to be the cry these days. :eek:

Waiting to see the sentence for these two clowns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-38181952
    Two teenagers tied up the whole of Central Scotland's CID team for an entire shift by falsely claiming they had been abducted, a court heard.
    Alice Nicol and Cathryn Spencer sparked the police operation after pretending they were being held against their will in a Stirling pub.
    However, the pair had been given refuge in the pub by a barman who thought they were too drunk to be on the street and there was a shortage of taxis.
    They will be sentenced on 21 December.

a bit of a joke alright, I missed what the second female officer did? it seemed to be all the other one?

a bit of a joke alright, I missed what the second female officer did? it seemed to be all the other one?

I think she was exchanging insults about breasts or something

I think she was exchanging insults about breasts or something

:pac: fly on the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

She failed to control the other one after being assigned that duty.

Honestly why the hell does anyone need to be assigned to take care of a drunk lady. If she is out of control its on her.

She failed to control the other one after being assigned that duty.

Honestly why the hell does anyone need to be assigned to take care of a drunk lady. If she is out of control its on her.

that makes more sense, yep not fair, how can you control a drunk person, its not like she could tazer the dingbat who seems to have form for being a p1sshead.

Sorry mate, don't get it.

ligerdub wrote: »

Its irony. Lets just say she is another Louise O'Neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

maybe
    ligerdub wrote: »

Clickbait journalist giving out about clickbait journalism…

• Advertisement

Clickbait columist/blogger giving out about clickbait columist/blogger…

Slight adjustment! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

Jesus Christ :eek:

Had hope she lost her job , dissapointed.

Ah I see, getcha. The comments to her are so far up her arse it's unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It is time for this ad again, I guess it is only men who drink and drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

maybe
    This type of ad infuriates me.

Junior minister for sport and tourism looking to dabble in a bit of identity politics and introduce gender quotas in sports organizations.

One would hope these grass root institutions put some pressure on him.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Junior minister for sport and tourism looking to dabble in a bit of identity politics and introduce gender quotas in sports organizations.

One would hope these grass root institutions put some pressure on him.
    Utter PC madness. I'd say 95% of the membership/players of these organisations is male, so how did he come up with a 30% quota of females on the boards? I hope this particular issue get swept under the carpet, there are far more pressing issues to be looked at in terms of gender imbalance.

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Utter PC madness. I'd say 95% of the membership/players of these organisations is male, so how did he come up with a 30% quota of females on the boards? I hope this particular issue get swept under the carpet, there are far more pressing issues to be looked at in terms of gender imbalance.

I actually hope the rugby and gaa strongholds in Limerick burry him and we don't see him in the next dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd love to see him tell the ladies football and camogie associations this - you've chosen to remain separate to the GAA, but now 30% of your board must be male.

And utterly ridiculous proposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe

Speaking of which, she is repeating herself now. The headline from her latest column in the Examiner.
    I think of myself at 19, my bones so thick with grief that they feel too heavy to move.

Sounds similar to that cry of grief rising up through her when she heard of the non existent revenge porn group among UCD Agricultural Science Students. She might want to get some new material that girl. :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, she is repeating herself now. The headline from her latest column in the Examiner.

Sounds similar to that cry of grief rising up through her when she heard of the non existent revenge porn group among UCD Agricultural Science Students. She might want to get some new material that girl. :rolleyes:

I see she is still maintaining that a paragraph consists of 4 to 5 words. Or if we are very lucky one complete sentence that goes onto the next line. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I was at TCD's open day on Saturday with my son. I picked up a copy of the undergraduate prospectus and found a page with various facts and figures on why you should choose TCD over other colleges.

One of the facts it mentioned is that 58% of its students are women. I suppose it's good for straight guys, in that the odds are in their favour if they're looking for a girlfriend among their fellow students.

But, joking aside, why does TCD consider it a "good" thing that there's a 16 percentage point difference between its numbers of female and male students? Would they be boasting about it if the female to male ratio was the other way around?

blue note wrote: »
    I'd love to see him tell the ladies football and camogie associations this - you've chosen to remain separate to the GAA, but now 30% of your board must be male.

And utterly ridiculous proposal.
    Does it apply the other way around?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    gizmo555 wrote: »
    I was at TCD's open day on Saturday with my son. I picked up a copy of the undergraduate prospectus and found a page with various facts and figures on why you should choose TCD over other colleges.

One of the facts it mentioned is that 58% of its students are women. I suppose it's good for straight guys, in that the odds are in their favour if they're looking for a girlfriend among their fellow students.

But, joking aside, why does TCD consider it a "good" thing that there's a 16 percentage point difference between its numbers of female and male students? Would they be boasting about it if the female to male ratio was the other way around?

On the other hand it could be a ploy to attract more male students...

This sort of thing needs to be taken with a huge mound of salt. Nottingham used to be thought of this way as it was the main hub for linen and textiles. It's been said that women there outnumber men by 9 to 1. I'd say the Uni there quietly encourage that image to attract more students as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
Advertisement