Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Does it apply the other way around?

Yes, I read that it does. But I think I also read that it only affects the larger sporting organisations, so I'd hazard a guess they'll measure size in a way that the camogie and Ladies football associations will be fine. An interesting problem from this for those associations though is that the GAA might now want to have some of their committee members. Now if they are then serving GAA committee members they should be serving the best interests of the GAA, not of other sporting organisations (such as Camogie). But naturally the objective of this is that they'd go onto the GAA boards and act in the interest of non-GAA organisations.

It's just funny to think about - imagine the FAI lads getting a seat on the IRFU boards in the interest of equality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

This sort of thing needs to be taken with a huge mound of salt.

Why? Is there any reason to doubt the accuracy of the quoted percentages?
    I'd say the Uni there quietly encourage that image to attract more students as well.

Who is it supposed to attract?

The point is the figure is presented in the context of other numbers and facts purporting to demonstrate the quality of a TCD education, like its international ratings and the employability of its graduates.

The assumption is that more women students is a self-evidently good thing. If 58% of TCD's students were male, there's not the remotest possibility that it would be highlighted it as a positive in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    Panthro wrote: »

What are you talking about?

He was asking for it obviously / anyone knows men can't be victims of sexual assault from females / patriarchy / those poor girls are the real victims here / umm patriarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

What are you talking about?

He was asking for it obviously / anyone knows men can't be victims of sexual assault from females / patriarchy / those poor girls are the real victims here / umm patriarchy.

They probably had a few drinks so as we all know nowadays women cannot be accountable for their own actions once they have had a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I have to nominate myself here.

When I heard of that savage attack on the Maynooth student recently I was surprised that they didn't outright describe the attacker they were looking for as a man, and how so many people interviewed stated how it could have been anybody.

I thought to myself "no need for PC, it was almost certainly a man". Imagine my surprise and self disgust when I heard today that it was likely a group of women!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ligerdub wrote: »
    I have to nominate myself here.

When I heard of that savage attack on the Maynooth student recently I was surprised that they didn't outright describe the attacker they were looking for as a man, and how so many people interviewed stated how it could have been anybody.

I thought to myself "no need for PC, it was almost certainly a man". Imagine my surprise and self disgust when I heard today that it was likely a group of women!

kildarenow and some other websites had both the reports and opinion columns stating that gardai were looking for information on the man or men who did this , and saying "if the attacker/ attackers are reading this we plead with him / them" to come forward.

The assumption and accusation was there straight off the bat. Pretty damn sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Man gets three months jail for stealing girlfriends wig in Shannon County Clare according to the Independent website today.

Nasty but hardly life-threatening or deserving jail

Once again we are left wondering what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot I.e. if it was a woman being charged for stealing a man's wig

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

woman's fees at my local golf club are less than half of the men's fees. Couldn't get my head around that given that they play the same course and have same facilities (clubhouse, lockers, changing rooms, competitions, committee, ladies' captain etc). I'm not aware of any restrictions to when female members can play but i know they have an ladies' evening each week where men cannot tee off between certain hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Once again we are left wondering what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot I.e. if it was a woman being charged for stealing a man's wig

I actually laughed when i read the bit in bold. Because it is just so inconceivable that she would get jail under the same circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

I actually laughed when i read the bit in bold. Because it is just so inconceivable that she would get jail under the same circumstances.

Totally agree - unless she killed him in the process. Mind you 'the defendant didnt even show up for the court case - dumb move on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

woman's fees at my local golf club are less than half of the men's fees. Couldn't get my head around that given that they play the same course and have same facilities (clubhouse, lockers, changing rooms, competitions, committee, ladies' captain etc). I'm not aware of any restrictions to when female members can play but i know they have an ladies' evening each week where men cannot tee off between certain hours.

Do they have the same rights as men in terms of ownership/voting rights/access.

Golf is a funny one. It's frequently bashed (in some cases reasonably so) for being sexist against women, but mainly by those with no knowledge of the game. For every complaint made by some people who demand that equality is introduced, there is equally a number of women golfers who are hoping the status quo continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

ligerdub wrote: »
    Do they have the same rights as men in terms of ownership/voting rights/access.

Golf is a funny one. It's frequently bashed (in some cases reasonably so) for being sexist against women, but mainly by those with no knowledge of the game. For every complaint made by some people who demand that equality is introduced, there is equally a number of women golfers who are hoping the status quo continues.

From the outside looking in, i would say access is not impacted by gender except for the ladies' evening i mention above which is beneficial to female members.

I can't comment on voting rights or ownership but as a potentially new member of the club, the gap in membership fees jumped off the page at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Speaking as someone who was a club member for 18 or so years that sounds like an unusual set-up to me and that generally I would say women do receive a raw deal in regards what they get from golf clubs.

Ladies rates have been fading out in golf clubs - most don't offer them to new members. So if you're lucky enough to still have one fair enough, but I don't think most clubs offer them to new entrants any more.

And as regards playing rights - my club (and I think this is the most common set-up) have mens competitions every Sunday and bank holiday Monday - so women are unable to play the course on these days until about 2pm in summer. Women then have the course on Monday morning, but I certainly wouldn't want to be charged the same for those playing rights.

That said, the majority of women I spoke to about it are perfectly content with the arrangement. They kicked up a big fuss to get the right to become full members, but then very few took up the option when presented with the bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Free Falling

Can't link because I'm a new user but today I read of a case when a 20 year old female teacher in London groomed and assaulted a 13 year old girl. Teacher gets a suspended sentence because of her tough upbringing and 'mental health issues'.

I'd like to see a man play that card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Well lads not sure if this falls in to sexism or not but anyway a bit of a background to myself I'm a farmer fairly well built carrying a bit of condition I play a bit of rugby and do some weight training also just to give you an idea of what i look like well last night I went for a few pints with a few friends i left earlier than the others I wasn't full but I was in good form I went to an atm to get money for a taxi and just as I had my card in the machine 2 girls asked could they skip ahead as they had a bus to catch I said ah no sorry (There's an atm just ten yards away anyway) well the abuse I got off of them was shocking even though they used the atm 10 yards away if i had to say what those two said to another person let alone a woman I would be embarrassed ashamed and it wouldn't surprise me if I would be done for verbally abusing someone they said oh your nothing but a c#nt with no reason at all but we can't blame you we can only blame your b#tch of a mother she must me worse than you your a fat pr#ck that's all you are and your an ignorant fu#k i bet your single I said i am oh your going to die alone because your such a c#nt to which I replied well I'd rather be single than have to put up with a bitch like you and all your sh#t they were shocked that i said something like that and then proceeded to be f#cked out of it as I walked down the street away from them I never once approached them or done anything to aggrevate them at all I wouldn't mind only though the amount of times I've been told in the last year things along the lines of Jesus if every young lad was like you the world would be a better place and Jesus the woman that gets you will be doing well etc I couldn't count on my 2 hands bearing in mind I'm in my early 20s although I do look a lot older (farmings not an easy game) just wondering did anyone else ever experience anything like this before I've been wound up about it most of the day it was even affecting my work even today

Better living everyone

Yep some gals can be right c*nts when their sense of entitlement doesn't go there way!

BTW, try a bit of punctuation. That was a hard slog to read. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

py2006 wrote: »
    Yep some gals can be right c*nts when their sense of entitlement doesn't go there way!

BTW, try a bit of punctuation. That was a hard slog to read. :)

Sorry about the punctuation I was never great for it

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No

I haven't seen it but from the little discussion I have seen (non review) it was reshot a good bit and a lot of the trailer footage isn't in the film. She didn't end up the major character the trailer promised.
    Apparently Felicity Jones was the only one contracted for more than one film but I think she dies in the version released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,692 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

As an aside Dullally has been made some sort of gay youth czar, hopefully they dont let her near any sort of Curriculum in schools, can you imagine the kind of shiiite she would want in it

I haven't seen it but from the little discussion I have seen (non review) it was reshot a good bit and a lot of the trailer footage isn't in the film. She didn't end up the major character the trailer promised.

I hadnt hear that, I'd written off bothering to see it on the basis that it would be another Mary Sue strong independent woman taking on a white supremacist empire :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

silverharp wrote: »
    As an aside Dullally has been made some sort of gay youth czar, hopefully they dont let her near any sort of Curriculum in schools, can you imagine the kind of shiiite she would want in it

I hadnt hear that, I'd written off bothering to see it on the basis that it would be another Mary Sue strong independent woman taking on a white supremacist empire :pac:
    The sooner the better the American is off such an important position. Will keep an eye on this as it's something I would get fairly political against.

Saying that any change in the education system are slow to enact so I doubt anything will come of it.

Calhoun wrote: »
    The sooner the better the American is off such an important position. Will keep an eye on this as it's something I would get fairly political against.

Saying that any change in the education system are slow to enact so I doubt anything will come of it.

Look up Roz Ward in Oz for worst case scenario however the way schools are organised here I dont think it would fly

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Look up Roz Ward in Oz for worst case scenario however the way schools are organised here I dont think it would fly

I wouldn't put it past them trying to implement something like it. Zapone hasn't got long in office th her days numbered who knows what we will get .

What is it about these looney feminist types that they think they are champions for the LBGT community?!?

What is it about these looney feminist types that they think they are champions for the LBGT community?!?

she is gay herself, I guess the question is why are gay women feminists? they are the least qualified to make any comments on m/f interactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

How sad it must be if one can't go and enjoy a movie without gender quotas on their mind. You just know that if it was a male lead and practically all female cast she'd be leaving pretty much the same tweet:

'Underwhelmed by Rogue One. Using a pretty much all-female cast as a diversion for yet another male lead? Felt old fashioned in the wrong way.

she is gay herself

Oh I didn't know that. Fair enough then I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

she is gay herself, I guess the question is why are gay women feminists? they are the least qualified to make any comments on m/f interactions.

Her sexuality shouldn't be an issue. She's as qualified to talk about it as anyone. All the crap women had to put up with affected gay women too. In saying that she does talk a lot of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

<rant>
    The thing that wrecks my head about people like Zappone and Mullally is that they are obsessed at pointing out the differences in people rather than embracing what we have in common. But driving wedges between people is all part of their raison d'être, otherwise they wouldn't have much to talk about.

If it's not gender, it's the colour of your skins, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.

Absolute miserable dinosaurs.
    </rant>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Una Mullally is a man hating misandrist. It's like asking Nick Griffin (BNP) to look after the youth of the country and wondering why all his ideas are only focussed on helping the white kids.

She has no place in advising any government body on anything. If you take any article or tweet she has ever written and replace the word man/men with blacks/jews/mexicans she starts sounding really hate filled.

<rant>
    The thing that wrecks my head about people like Zappone and Mullally is that they are obsessed at pointing out the differences in people rather than embracing what we have in common. But driving wedges between people is all part of their raison d'être, otherwise they wouldn't have much to talk about.

If it's not gender, it's the colour of your skins, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.

</rant>

My understanding is that this would be classed as identity politics in which both excel in, this is the type of politics that led to the trump and brexit upsets.

I find it hard to see where i fit on the political spectrum anymore, i did used to think i was more liberal but the progressives have turned me off it completely. One guy described it online as being a classical liberal where you want equality for all which i would be align with.

You know you are not winning when you look to give additional rights to one group while telling everyone else to suck it up.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Her sexuality shouldn't be an issue. She's as qualified to talk about it as anyone. All the crap women had to put up with affected gay women too. In saying that she does talk a lot of rubbish.

well I mean I wouldnt comment on how gay couples organise themselves but I bet Una has tonnes to say about your average couple, likewise she isnt a parent or a relevant professional so I dont think I'd respect her opinion in relation to how kids should be raised. All I can see is that your average lesbian feminist just wants to split the genders with a special focus on bringing men down based on whatever daddy issues or other psychological issues they may have.

All I can see is that your average lesbian feminist just wants to split the genders with a special focus on bringing men down based on whatever daddy issues or other psychological issues they may have.

Apparently she has narrowed it down to white men recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Connacht2KXX

<rant>
    The thing that wrecks my head about people like Zappone and Mullally is that they are obsessed at pointing out the differences in people rather than embracing what we have in common.
    </rant>

Tbh i don't really have a problem about people pointing out differences in other people. That's effectively the main reason why people have discussions and arguments, ie person A has a difference of opinion than person B.

What grates me is that she points out the superficial differences between people or the differences that have no bearing on the topic at hand ie saying that person A's opinion is less valid than person B's opinion due to person A's skin colour, gender and sexual orientation (ofc straight, white male), rather than saying that person A's opinion is less valid than person B's opinion due to person A's lack of facts and logic.

Apparently she has narrowed it down to white men recently.

Basically half of the Irish population

Did you guys see the controversy over MTV news white guy resolutions for 2017.

Did you guys see the controversy over MTV news white guy resolutions for 2017.

It has been removed but here is a response to it:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

<rant>

</rant>

Bump, excellent. I've never read a word she's written other than the odd tweet re posted here.(I'm not on Twitter thankfully) She seems like a sexist, bigot, & frankly my life is far too short to deal with sexist bigot bull****.

P.s. my advice is to avoid Feminenazis, like the plague, they could be hazardous to your life!!

• Advertisement

It has been removed but here is a response to it:

Yah i have seen many responses, hope the gutter so called music station goes under now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

No
    Yah i have seen many responses, hope the gutter so called music station goes under now.

If Jersey Shore & 16 and Pregnant didn't do it, then this surely won't.

Hahah ahahahah so true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Came across this article today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/most-popular/if-you-re-a-young-white-straight-man-today-you-re-in-trouble-1.2696818

Touches on a lot of things that end up being discussed in here. Refreshing that it's women that wrote both the article and the book that it discusses.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Connacht2KXX

Came across this article today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/most-popular/if-you-re-a-young-white-straight-man-today-you-re-in-trouble-1.2696818

Touches on a lot of things that end up being discussed in here. Refreshing that it's women that wrote both the article and the book that it discusses.

Pretty decent article. I'd be more inclined to say that it's refreshing that the Times decided to publish anything of this tone, regardless of the gender of the author.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

As a man, being charged almost double for car insurance than women, simply because I'm a man and driving claims free for years. Statistics or not, even if men were proven to be safer drivers, if insurance companies charged women more, there'd be mass protests, with government joining in too. But it's ok, it was just men who were overcharged.

There are free cancer screening services for women everywhere, breast, cervical etc, but none for men. Men CAN get breast cancer, especially the more well-endowed, but they are refused free screening at the breast checks.

There is no funding or advertisements for male shelters from domestic abuse.

All gender quotas support women and none for men in employment.

Nightclubs in Dublin letting women in for free.

They kicked up a whole fuss about razors costing them more than men's ones. Tesco's have reduced the price of them now

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/prices-of-womens-razors-slashed-to-end-sexist-surcharge-but-the-surcharge-doesnt-exist/

They kicked up a whole fuss about razors costing them more than men's ones. Tesco's have reduced the price of them now

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/prices-of-womens-razors-slashed-to-end-sexist-surcharge-but-the-surcharge-doesnt-exist/

Men's boxers cost a fortune compared to women's underwear.

I thought there was a new eu law brought in a few years back that said it was illegal to charge men more for insurance. Whatever happened to that. Women seem to still have cheaper car insurance.

I thought there was a new eu law brought in a few years back that said it was illegal to charge men more for insurance. Whatever happened to that. Women seem to still have cheaper car insurance.

The EU law was brought in in 2012. It was enacted.

There is no transparency in the figures quoted. Insurance companies can charge you a premium for having blue eyes if they want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement