Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

gizmo555 wrote: »
    The world and the country need there to be pregnant women, so why wouldn't they get "perks"? Do you expect to live beyond retirement age? If there's nobody younger than you, who do you expect will still be in the workforce providing the goods and services you'll still need? How do you expect your pension will be paid?

Glad she's not my mother . . .

Societal problems are business problems. One of the main reasons businesses move to Ireland apart from our tax rates is our young, educated workforce. Guess what? They all have mothers. (And fathers, of course, but only mothers do the childbearing.)

We need pregnant women so we pay them for maternity leave, that is that is the perk we get. I am not getting into an argument on the birthrates and pensions of the future.

Should we go further than what we already have in place and keep and promote a woman going through the maternity cycle to keep them on the same scale as men? i don't believe so.

Its common in the US for women to take short maternity leave, my old boss was an ex westpoint graduate so was well able for it.

Guess what? most FDI's i know of don't give a **** about societal problems, they will up and move if they don't like it. It's the reason so many are abandoning the interior of europe because they don't want to be stuck with a system where they cannot fire someone as they are on maternity leave for 4 years in a row.

The only mothers doing the child bearing is a societal issue, we have no current system really in place to stop this. However its still possible as my wife and I both work we have to thought to pay for the creche fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

psinno wrote: »
    The worlds a strange place. Look at the gender pay gap in Ireland , Italy and Sweden. Does that reflect how you hear people talk about gender in those countries?

QZR8fCj.png

http://www.activecharts.org/share/58860e383bd40245e2dd3c714910916f

There is a serious disconnect between the two alright.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

red ears wrote: »
    Your 'gotcha' post earlier was pretty condescending.

What do attribute the gap to for women with no children.

Simple, sexism! Isn't that how this works?! Or is it only when women are paid less..?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

with the "pay gap" and Ireland you would need to break down into things like public sector v private sector or by industry. Ireland as a country is very service oriented and even in areas like multinational IT a lot of the activity is service oriented and back office. Then traditional areas like farming and fishing probably aren't that well paid. Then you have the gov stepping in and I assume the defence forces ,Guards, fire , ambulance etc are under pressure to hire more women because muh feminism

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

givyjoe wrote: »
    Simple, sexism! Isn't that how this works?! Or is it only when women are paid less..?!

So you can't actually answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

red ears wrote: »
    So you can't actually answer the question.

If it's a good enough go to answer for women, its a good enough answer for men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Watching Cheltenham on ITV and the following advert came on:

Next year they're gonna raise money so men can have some water too..... if they're still alive that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

In fairness, he says "Women and their families". Maybe there are a lot of single mothers in Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Another f*****g whte knight!

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/brendan-oconnor-says-would-like-10020187

Interesting that guys like him that offer up this nonsense, like him, Ryan Tubridy, Sadiq Khan, never step down from their own chairs to let their beloved women into their roles.

• Advertisement

ligerdub wrote: »
    Another f*****g whte knight!

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/brendan-oconnor-says-would-like-10020187

Interesting that guys like him that offer up this nonsense, like him, Ryan Tubridy, Sadiq Khan, never step down from their own chairs to let their beloved women into their roles.
    From the article
    Brendan O'Connor says he would like to 'phase out' male panelists on Cutting Edge
    Any chance they can 'phase out' male presenters on Cutting Edge instead?

If ever i needed an excuse to not watch his program, funny thing is i actually supported him because i felt he got short shifted due to Ray but **** him. Can burn on his white horse for all i care.

From the article Any chance they can 'phase out' male presenters on Cutting Edge instead?

A quote from Brendan in that article: “The hardest thing with any live television show is that in two seconds, you or anyone around the table, can completely destroy themselves - potentially even destroy their career. We’re in an age where people can get in trouble for saying something which other people perceive to be the wrong thing or for expressing opinions that are forbidden".

Yeah Brendan try saying you plan on phasing out women from your panel show and see what happens.

Btw look at his big gormless face in that piece, father jack comes to mind with his "how did that gobs**te get on the television".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

maybe
    Could there be something to it though. I've never watched the programme as he annoys the bejasus out of me but could it be that men are more reticent to speak their mind in case they get accused of being sexist or racist and potentially ruining a career while the women guests are not as encumbered by this?

Could there be something to it though. I've never watched the programme as he annoys the bejasus out of me but could it be that men are more reticent to speak their mind in case they get accused of being sexist or racist and potentially ruining a career while the women guests are not as encumbered by this?

You could be right but if that is the case he should be arguing for men to be more free to speak their minds instead of dispensing with them.

I have only ever watched about 10 mins of his panel show, i couldn't watch his Saturday night show either, he is awful and shouldn't even be on the TV. Surely we have better presenters than him. The intro to his Saturday night show where he tried to do a bit of comedy was shockingly bad.

How about Brendan be brave and invite a panel of men on to discuss the treatment of men in modern society, discuss issues facing men and boys and maybe discuss feminism from a male perspective. It would be very interesting and would have massive viewership if advertised beforehand. But it seems Brendan would prefer an all female panel to discuss the same old same old, women yet again discussing feminist issues yet again. As if we aren't already bombarded daily by that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

His show last year got loads of outrage all over social media for bring every topic back to the discrimination that women face. I reckon the show is a lot more popular with guys than girls because we like to tune in and moan about ciara kelly our louise O'Neill our whoever.

I reckon the comment is directed at his target audience (us) to remind us of the outrage we can enjoy if we tune in.

I may be tempting fate but I don't think O'Neill has been on that show yet. I don't think I could put myself through watching her, she's such a horrible person.......and I even watch when Nora "I'm such a great person" Casey is on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    Well could anyone forget his car crash interview with Pussy Riot? Their first interview with any media after their release. Talk about turning what was a coup into one of the worst interviews of all time, and all down to his ego not wanting to "share" the spotlight.

So yes, Father Jack had it right.

Interesting piece here from a sociologist at an Irish university.

The part I highlighted in bold is quite striking. Surely ending demand for sex work is essentially the same as saying ending the demand for sex. It makes no sense. And defies nature. Whether paid or unpaid, people will always crave sex. Consensual sex of course. A clampdown on illegal trafficking seems a more sensible approach. Anyway, interesting read from an expert.

The complexity of sex work

Should it be legal to sell sex? Will new Irish laws protect sex workers, or put them at risk? Can the “world’s oldest profession” really be stamped out? And, in all of this, where do male sex workers fit in?

Dr Paul Ryan has been lecturing at Maynooth University’s Department of Sociology for 10 years. He is a board member of Sex Workers Alliance Ireland. Much of his work has focused on LGBT issues, sex, and family from the 1960s and ‘70s. Now, his research has led him to an EU-funded project looking at sexuality and prostitution policy across 24 European countries.

“These are contentious issues,” he says. “Most academics do want a focus on harm reduction, but public policy in Ireland has moved towards a neo-abolitionist model, from a point where all sex work is seen as a violence against women and should be stamped out. The argument is that by ending demand, you end sex work, but it is aspirational and not backed up by evidence. Sweden has had this law since 1999 and it still has a thriving sex industry.”

It is this position, which, through a campaign called, “Turn Off the Red Light,” led Ireland to adopt a Nordic model in February 2017 that makes it a crime to purchase sex. The campaign was backed by Barnardos, the Irish Congress of Trade Unions and the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre. Two of the biggest drivers of the effort are the Immigrant Council of Ireland and Ruhama, an organisation that supports women affected by prostitution and trafficking.

Ireland went one step further than its northern neighbours, however, by increasing the penalties criminalising sex work itself. Is this a good idea? Will it work? These are the issues at the fore of Ryan’s research. Working with Dr Eílis Ward from NUI Galway, Ryan looked at the regulation of sex work in Ireland. Meanwhile, researchers in 23 other countries explored other models and evaluated what did and did not work. The aim is to gather enough data to compare and contrast different models.

“I am coming from a sex-positive feminist perspective, which says that people have the right to do what they want with their bodies. There are, of course, people who work in the sex industry who are exploited and want out. Middle-class women or men carrying out this work may have access to a whole range of resources and they’re not the greatest concern. But the question that needs to be asked is: Looking at different models, what is the best way to help the most marginalised? Criminalising the sale and purchase of sex work may push people away from services like health and the Gardaí.”

Ryan says that sex workers, whether male or female, do not always fit the stereotype of chaotic and abused, and that some people will dip in and out of sex work as a way of paying the bills or of buying what they want or need. Sometimes, sex work involves no more than a webcam and an internet connection. The image of the street worker is deeply embedded, but it is not always in touch with reality.

Ryan is concerned the law could have unintended consequences. “As the system now stands, there is not a lot of ‘street work.’ Sex is mostly sold indoors. Men buying it may now be reluctant to meet women in areas that are well-lit or well-recognised, and will move to darker, more remote locations, where the risk of violence is greater.

“There is a promise to review the legislation in two years, but there has not been an evaluation of existing or past policies around sex work, and no baseline studies exist on which to evaluate any change. We know little about the demographics of those who sell sex, almost nothing about male or transgender prostitution, and very little about clients and the relationship between the law and practices on the ground.”

Ryan adds that in Northern Ireland, the (governing) Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) brought forward a proposal making it a crime to purchase sex. As a member of an advisory group on a project commissioned by the Department of Justice and undertaken at Queen University Belfast to do a study the proposal, Ryan says they found the law to be largely unenforceable. The proposal ultimately became law anyway. So, Ryan asks, “Is it about real change, or sending out a message?”

He points to the religious origins of the Immigrant Council and Ruhama and suggests their position may be ideological. “Ireland has been wedded to the Swedish model for some time but, in Sweden, there was also an acknowledgement that prostitution is caused by structural inequalities, so there were incentives for people not to do it. Here, we are looking at taking income from some of the most deprived people, without offering them alternatives. For the model to work, we need to offer more support. We are not doing that. We have chosen to ignore advice from the United Nations, the World Health Organisation and various academics. I think this legislation could cause damage.”

Much of the debate, he says, has focused on women, but there are equally many men – mostly gay, but some straight – who sell sex to other men. “In the policy context, these men don’t exist. And yet, you can find them online, often casually exchanging sex for money or goods. Are they less vulnerable? Are they equally at risk of exploitation? There is an element of paternalism here, where it is seen that men always love sex and are doing well to make money from it, whereas a woman who has multiple sexual partners, whether for pleasure or money, is going against her nature and is being exploited.”

Men selling sex to other men is highly visible in the gay community, says Ryan. “Most of the men selling sex in Ireland are Brazilian or Venezuelan, perhaps because they are more anonymous than Irish men could be. Those I interviewed don’t always see themselves as sex workers, but see sex as a way to earn money. They dip in and out and few are exploited.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭iptba

I don't recall any mention of a National Men's Strategy:
    The Wheel and the New National Women's Strategy

Minister Frances Fitzgerald and the Department of Justice & Equality are committed to producing a new National Women's Strategy for the period 2017 - 2020.

A public consultation took place between November 2016 and the end of January 2017 to help inform this process. The Wheel's CEO, Deirdre Garvey, was pleased to accept an invitation in February to join a Strategy Committee to advise on the development and implementation of the new strategy.

The intention is to launch the completed strategy in early April. The draft goal for the 4-year period is: to change attitudes and practices preventing women’s and girls’ full participation in education, employment and public life, at all levels, and to improve services for women and girls, with priority given to the needs of those experiencing, or at risk of experiencing, the poorest outcomes.

At the current stage of drafting, it is proposed that it will have 6 high-level objectives:
    1. Advance socioeconomic equality for women and girls
    2. Advance the physical and mental health and well-being of women and girls
    3. Ensure the visibility in society of women and girls, and their equal and active citizenship
    4. Advance women in leadership at all levels
    5. Eliminate violence against women
    6. Embed gender equality in decision-making.
    The timeline for the drafting of the strategy is restricted to March and the Strategy Committee has met twice in March already, with a third meeting scheduled for Tuesday, 21 March.

Considering the compacted timelines, we've sought input from members which are already prominent in this space. And upon the publication of the strategy, we will ensure that all of our members get the opportunity to feed into how it is implemented.

For further information, please visit the Department's website http://thewheel.cmail20.com/t/i-l-uihtily-chyiutdlr-h/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No
    iptba wrote: »

The lads up in the ODPM (Office of the Directorate for Patriarchal Matters) are taking care of that. It was in the quarterly mailshot. With the free four ball at Portmarnock Links, and the annual corporate promotion.

Didn't you get yours?

:pac:

C7Yvm9fUwAAOW_Y.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not sure if you all remember the turnouttheredlight campaign but eye opening AMA currently going on

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057719737

silverharp wrote: »
    :pac:

C7Yvm9fUwAAOW_Y.jpg

That's superb! What idiots!! :D

If only it were something completely ridiculous like 1 in 50 or something......they'd probably still print it!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not sure if you all remember the turnouttheredlight campaign but eye opening AMA currently going on

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057719737

Ah man, what a thread! I'm not sure which I like more, the quasi-joke questions, the "a friend of mine" questions or whatever.

I did especially like this post though, he clearly gave it a lot of thought:

"In what segments of the market are you finding the most growth?

For example, a lot of analysts might point to an appetite out there for BBW's. How are you finding this commentary in terms of how it translates to the front line? Would you agree?"

Analysts??!

iptba wrote: »
    Quote:
    The Wheel and the New National Women's Strategy

Minister Frances Fitzgerald and the Department of Justice & Equality are committed to producing a new National Women's Strategy for the period 2017 - 2020.

A public consultation took place between November 2016 and the end of January 2017 to help inform this process. The Wheel's CEO, Deirdre Garvey, was pleased to accept an invitation in February to join a Strategy Committee to advise on the development and implementation of the new strategy.

The intention is to launch the completed strategy in early April. The draft goal for the 4-year period is: to change attitudes and practices preventing women’s and girls’ full participation in education, employment and public life, at all levels, and to improve services for women and girls, with priority given to the needs of those experiencing, or at risk of experiencing, the poorest outcomes.

At the current stage of drafting, it is proposed that it will have 6 high-level objectives:
    1. Advance socioeconomic equality for women and girls
    2. Advance the physical and mental health and well-being of women and girls
    3. Ensure the visibility in society of women and girls, and their equal and active citizenship
    4. Advance women in leadership at all levels
    5. Eliminate violence against women
    6. Embed gender equality in decision-making.
    The timeline for the drafting of the strategy is restricted to March and the Strategy Committee has met twice in March already, with a third meeting scheduled for Tuesday, 21 March.

Considering the compacted timelines, we've sought input from members which are already prominent in this space. And upon the publication of the strategy, we will ensure that all of our members get the opportunity to feed into how it is implemented.

For further information, please visit the Department's website http://thewheel.cmail20.com/t/i-l-uihtily-chyiutdlr-h/

More state money for the problems of the favoured gender. Its almost as if boys or men don't exist and have no problems worth highlighting.

BLAIRE WHITE 💋‏ @MsBlaireWhite 5h5 hours ago
    More
    That's an interesting way to spell "raped a middle school kid".

C7ffRfRU8AAUs8z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Funny how, while both pretty much about the same thing, one's amazing the other.. creepy.

article2.png

article1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Reminds me of the strip shows. Its a fun night out for the girls and advertised everywhere while its a creepy, sleazy, misogynistic thing bad men go to see.

py2006 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the strip shows. Its a fun night out for the girls and advertised everywhere while its a creepy, sleazy, misogynistic thing bad mean go to see.
    It's merely boring and unimaginative on both fronts.

Prostitution is more respectable for the punter. Going to a strip club is being screwed with your pants still on.

• Advertisement

Prostitution is more respectable for the punter. Going to a strip club is being screwed with your pants still on.

There's a difference between a strip club and a lapdancng club. Especially outside of Ireland/UK.

TBH I'd suggested its less to do with feminism and more to do with the lingering influence of the church, and community opinions.

Still, there is a rather large difference in how anything sexual for men is shown.. but the flip side for women. Being Gay is bad/dirty, but being a lesbian is a natural thing to try or be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This is like an article that gets even more depressing as you read down, so I'll just quote snippets -

Three Irish universities win Athena SWAN awards for gender equality progress

"Three Irish universities have been honoured by the Athena SWAN Charter for their work in the battle against gender inequality: Dublin City University (DCU), University College Dublin (UCD) and University of Limerick (UL).
    Athena SWAN (Scientific Womens Academic Network) is a charter established by the British Equality Challenge Unit (ECU) and implemented by the UK Resource Centre. It recognises and celebrates good practice towards the advancement of gender equality and specifically representation, progression and success for all. In particular, the charter was set up to encourage the advancement of careers for women in STEM, and higher education and research."

All Irish third-level institutions will be required to gain Athena SWAN awards

"In future, Science Foundation Ireland, the Irish Research Council and the Health Research Board will require higher education institutions (HEIs) to have Athena SWAN gender equality accreditation in order to be eligible for research funding. Irish HEIs will be required to secure Athena SWAN bronze awards by the end of 2019 to ensure they are eligible to compete for research funding allocated by any of the three agencies. To get a sense of the commitment it takes to achieve an Athena SWAN award, DCU has prepared a three-year action plan to reform the promotion process to address the lack of women in senior academic positions, prioritises female leadership initiatives and addresses issues in relation to maternity leave. Examples of key initiatives at DCU included Project 50:50 (to name at least 50pc of new DCU buildings after female research pioneers), family-friendly meeting times, unconscious bias training and a pledge by DCUs president not to serve on a panel of two people or more unless there is at least one woman on the panel, not including the chair."

So I figured, "Who are this SWAN crowd I've never heard of?"
    ECUs Athena SWAN Charter was established in 2005 to encourage and recognise commitment to advancing the careers of women in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine (STEMM) employment in higher education and research.

In May 2015 the charter was expanded to recognise work undertaken in arts, humanities, social sciences, business and law (AHSSBL), and in professional and support roles, and for trans staff and students. The charter now recognises work undertaken to address gender equality more broadly, and not just barriers to progression that affect women.

ECUs Athena SWAN Charter covers women (and men where appropriate) in:
    • academic roles in STEMM and AHSSBL
    • professional and support staff
    • trans staff and students
    In relation to their:
    • representation
    • progression of students into academia
    • journey through career milestones
    • working environment for all staff

Source: Athena SWAN Charter

At least I could understand NUIG naming a building in honour of one of Irelands pioneering engineers, but the sort of nonsense above?

It all looks a bit "just because..." and I don't know many of my friends who are architects, engineers, software developers, project managers, company directors, etc, who would appreciate being seen as having been "rewarded" with the positions they hold, not because of their hard work they put in to get where they are, but solely on the basis of their gender, because "quotas" had to be met. It's an insult to many of these professions that a persons gender could ever be considered to matter more than the wealth of talent, skills and knowledge they possess.

"It recognises and celebrates good practice towards the advancement of gender equality and specifically representation, progression and success for all. In particular, the charter was set up to encourage the advancement of careers for women in STEM, and higher education and research."

Gender equality needs a better definition if that's part of their mission statement. Horrifying.

Took a look at the pages of their charter members... Interesting that there's not a balance in numbers. The vast majority of its charter members are female names.

did I misinterpret what is being stated and that science grants are being opened up to non science areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

academia is a cancer now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

"In future, Science Foundation Ireland, the Irish Research Council and the Health Research Board will require higher education institutions (HEIs) to have Athena SWAN gender equality accreditation in order to be eligible for research funding. Irish HEIs will be required to secure Athena SWAN bronze awards by the end of 2019 to ensure they are eligible to compete for research funding allocated by any of the three agencies. To get a sense of the commitment it takes to achieve an Athena SWAN award, DCU has prepared a three-year action plan to reform the promotion process to address the lack of women in senior academic positions, prioritises female leadership initiatives and addresses issues in relation to maternity leave.
    This is a good move IMO, especially as regards maternity leave, as this can have a devastating impact on career earnings. It is good to see some kind of proactive measures being taken there
    Examples of key initiatives at DCU included Project 50:50 (to name at least 50pc of new DCU buildings after female research pioneers), family-friendly meeting times, unconscious bias training and a pledge by DCUs president not to serve on a panel of two people or more unless there is at least one woman on the panel, not including the chair."
    I would have no problem with the above. Renaming the buildings may come across as tokenism, but it won't do much harm regardless. Family friendly meeting times is great. I have no issue with the panel idea. Unconscious bias training seems to be imported direct from the USA and has been used by Google. Hmmm, sounds like a box ticking exercise and 2 hours away from your desk kind of thing. In a few years time some new jazzy training thing will come along and replace it. I think it is an excuse to give "diversity trainers" a nice little paypacket and little else.

At least I could understand NUIG naming a building in honour of one of Irelands pioneering engineers, but the sort of nonsense above?

It all looks a bit "just because..." and I don't know many of my friends who are architects, engineers, software developers, project managers, company directors, etc, who would appreciate being seen as having been "rewarded" with the positions they hold, not because of their hard work they put in to get where they are, but solely on the basis of their gender, because "quotas" had to be met. It's an insult to many of these professions that a persons gender could ever be considered to matter more than the wealth of talent, skills and knowledge they possess.
    To a point, I agree. However, a lot of the stuff in there like maternity leave, family friendly hours and a more fairer representation on panels is quite good and is needed in a hell of a lot more workplaces. That part I can get behind.

However, for obvious reasons I do not agree with the quotas. In the long run there is a good chance that everybody will lose out eventually. It also goes completely against the "work hard and succeed" ethos that drives most people. I suppose the overarching message here is that identity is now far more more important than anything else, even hard work. How exactly anybody thinks this equates to equality is beyond me.

I abhor quotas in almost every instance.....and this is no exception.

"We need more women in stem", do we? Why? The only thing that's certain is that we need no blockages for them should they wish to do so. Aside from that let free choice reign.

Merit for naming "at least 50%" of buildings after women is ridiculous. It implies that as the starting point. Will they demand amendments if it ends up with 75% of them being named after women? Pfffft!

Also, not being able to have a meeting unless there is a woman present is a quota, and it's also completely stupid.

What are "family-friendly" times? Term-time only between 10 and 2?

I wonder if they are putting in paid paternity leave to offer balance for male professors.

I think its great though, the dumb women of Ireland who cannot stand on their own two feet need the extra help. Nothing like a bit of tokenism to get across equality :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Needs to be renamed from gender equality to equality of outcome. In Irish universities women outnumber men 2:1 already. Where's the provision to get more men into university, full stop?

Also unconscious bias training is awfully bloody insidious. It implies that everyone attending is inherently racist and needs to be "fixed". Not to mention that it is complete bunkum with no basis in science.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Never understood the appeal of paying someone to give you a boner and then walk away from you. It's like going to McDonalds to make yourself hungry and not actually eating.

Never understood the appeal of paying someone to give you a boner and then walk away from you. It's like going to McDonalds to make yourself hungry and not actually eating.

For some of us, not everything is about having sex. Sometimes, It's just enjoyable to see a very beautiful woman (or man) dance for you. It's actually quite relaxing. But then it really depends on your attitude when you're going there... (and the type/quality of the strip/lapdancing club itself)

I'm a fairly-confirmed 40 yr old Bachelor, I have zero interest in prostitution, I often lose any interest in Dating.. and a lapdance can be a great way to relax without the pressure of sex [and/or commitment) hanging in the air. There's also very little of the power games that comes with dating a 'modern' woman.

But then a large part of my loving lapdancing clubs is watching the way the dancers manipulate the punters. It seriously gives my psychology degree a run for its money. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

This is like an article that gets even more depressing as you read down, so I'll just quote snippets -

Three Irish universities win Athena SWAN awards for gender equality progress

"Three Irish universities have been honoured by the Athena SWAN Charter for their work in the battle against gender inequality: Dublin City University (DCU), University College Dublin (UCD) and University of Limerick (UL).
    Athena SWAN (Scientific Womens Academic Network) is a charter established by the British Equality Challenge Unit (ECU) and implemented by the UK Resource Centre. It recognises and celebrates good practice towards the advancement of gender equality and specifically representation, progression and success for all. In particular, the charter was set up to encourage the advancement of careers for women in STEM, and higher education and research."

"In future, Science Foundation Ireland, the Irish Research Council and the Health Research Board will require higher education institutions (HEIs) to have Athena SWAN gender equality accreditation in order to be eligible for research funding. Irish HEIs will be required to secure Athena SWAN bronze awards by the end of 2019 to ensure they are eligible to compete for research funding allocated by any of the three agencies. To get a sense of the commitment it takes to achieve an Athena SWAN award, DCU has prepared a three-year action plan to reform the promotion process to address the lack of women in senior academic positions, prioritises female leadership initiatives and addresses issues in relation to maternity leave. Examples of key initiatives at DCU included Project 50:50 (to name at least 50pc of new DCU buildings after female research pioneers), family-friendly meeting times, unconscious bias training and a pledge by DCUs president not to serve on a panel of two people or more unless there is at least one woman on the panel, not including the chair."

You'd wonder where this sort of nonsense stops though. Say for example everything is evened up regarding gender in every university in Ireland. But now there's no representation of trans people. Maybe when that's fixed someone might notice that the vast majority of people on equally represented boards are white. A few campaigns might get more coloured people in to sort that out, but is there enough LGBT representation there now? How will muslim and jewish people feel about a predominantly christian board? And why aren't disabled people fairly included in all of this?

You'd wonder where this sort of nonsense stops though. Say for example everything is evened up regarding gender in every university in Ireland. But now there's no representation of trans people. Maybe when that's fixed someone might notice that the vast majority of people on equally represented boards are white. A few campaigns might get more coloured people in to sort that out, but is there enough LGBT representation there now? How will muslim and jewish people feel about a predominantly christian board? And why aren't disabled people fairly included in all of this?

If we take it to its logical conclusion it can only end up in a carve up between race, gender and sexuality. Those are the three big equality issues. Merit will have to take a back seat for diversity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭iptba

"It recognises and celebrates good practice towards the advancement of gender equality and specifically representation, progression and success for all. In particular, the charter was set up to encourage the advancement of careers for women in STEM, and higher education and research."

Gender equality needs a better definition if that's part of their mission statement. Horrifying.

Took a look at the pages of their charter members... Interesting that there's not a balance in numbers. The vast majority of its charter members are female names.
    Yes, I don't think we will see initiatives for demanding gender targets in gender equality departments/positions and the like.

Or for similar levels of funding going for gender-specific research (men's studies vs women's studies).

• Advertisement

TBH I don't think it will stop. Feminism is not about equality... feminism is about punishing males and making sure males are never in a position to discriminate against women again... So I dont expect feminists to stop until women are dominent in society in all fields, and in every aspect of the law... Equality is the term they throw about now.. next it'll be that it's time that women were in control because of the mess that men have made so far.. :rolleyes:

If Feminism actually had some actual quantifiable goals, then I could see an end... but each time they gain a right/freedom etc, they move the goal posts further along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I have personal experience of the situation in Irish universities regarding the sciences and Athena Swan. as someone said above, it's a cancer and it's getting worse by the month. Women only grants, women only mentoring, etc. SFI (the main research funder) have bought into this bunkum wholesale - hence the article above whereby they state that in future any institution will need an Athena Swan bronze award (and down the line, silver) to be even considered for funding. But it's already ongoing - last few competitions, SFI required the universities to 'filter' applications internally so that at least 50% of those sent on to SFI were from women, even where the majority of applications were from males. And of course, they gerrymandered their own decision making to give women 11 of 20 grants in the last round so they could claim that this pre-screening brought female candidates 'that wouldn't have got through coz patriarchy' to prominence and - whaddyaknow? - the majority of those successful were women! The end result is that an excellent candidate of either gender will do well and will get funding (and this was always the case) but mediocre women are now getting funding over solid-but-unspectacular men. I know of a couple of these guys (we're talking late 30s - early 40s here) who are now talking about changing career because the game is now stacked against them. And why are there more men involved in research? Personally, I think it's because women generally have more cop on than to hang around in universities in precarious employment after qualification and have the good sense to head to industry.

The catalyst for all this was a case in Galway where a female lecturer claimed (successfully in the courts) that she was discriminated against for promotions because she was female. Of course the reality is that she simply wasn't nearly as good as the men who were promoted 'over' her - a fact she herself somewhat acknowledges! The reality is that universities bend over backwards to help women - yet, as in so many fields, it's thrown back in their faces with cries of 'not enough'.

TBH I don't think it will stop. Feminism is not about equality... feminism is about punishing males and making sure males are never in a position to discriminate against women again... So I dont expect feminists to stop until women are dominent in society in all fields, and in every aspect of the law... Equality is the term they throw about now.. next it'll be that it's time that women were in control because of the mess that men have made so far.. :rolleyes:

If Feminism actually had some actual quantifiable goals, then I could see an end... but each time they gain a right/freedom etc, they move the goal posts further along.

A part of feminism may not stop with their push but as can be seen from allot of numbers feminism is losing allot of support amongst woman as they abandon the third wave of feminism.

They may change their mantra but that is where they must be pushed back, if it does come to it on some alternative future where this somehow becomes a reality would they be willing to take up arms to defend these new rights ect?

We only just saw this week a 52 year old UK citizen wreak havoc in london, what do you think will be the end game if more and more men in society become disenfranchised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Calhoun wrote: »
    A part of feminism may not stop with their push but as can be seen from allot of numbers feminism is losing allot of support amongst woman as they abandon the third wave of feminism.

They may change their mantra but that is where they must be pushed back, if it does come to it on some alternative future where this somehow becomes a reality would they be willing to take up arms to defend these new rights ect?

We only just saw this week a 52 year old UK citizen wreak havoc in london, what do you think will be the end game if more and more men in society become disenfranchised.
    Feminism is not to blame for Islamic terrorists

PucaMama wrote: »
    Feminism is not to blame for Islamic terrorists

It's not i was mainly talking to the scenario being painted by klaz. However i would say that disenfranchised males arent limited to religious extremists, you also have the rise in crime in Ireland and the many no-go areas in Dublin ect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement