Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    This whole site isn't as bid as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,708 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^

wasnt there an Irish swimmer where her husband deserved a lot of the credit :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote:
    wasnt there an Irish swimmer where her husband deserved a lot of the credit

Ha! Yeah they are happy to let that one through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I love the snide remark in the first article about the husband being observed being "verbally abusive". I bet if you were to ask the lady herself, she wouldn't see it that way. Coaches tend to shout at their charges every now and then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Sleepy wrote: »
    I love the snide remark in the first article about the husband being observed being "verbally abusive". I bet if you were to ask the lady herself, she wouldn't see it that way. Coaches tend to shout at their charges every now and then!

I saw a video of him absolutely losing his sht at her losing some swim meet last year. So I think there is something to the talk of him being a bit of a hothead, moreso than other coaches.

If she doesn't like it then she can sack him.

ligerdub wrote: »
    If she doesn't like it then she can sack him.

I'll be sure to let her know.

__Alex__ wrote: »
    I'll be sure to let her know.

She already knows that!!

She already knows that!!

Which highlights the pointlessness of your statement.

Her hub's behaviour poolside has raised eyebrows. And this is among elite athletes who are well used to tough training. People can discuss that.

• Advertisement

Which highlights the pointlessness of your statement.

Her hub's behaviour poolside has raised eyebrows. And this is among elite athletes who are well used to tough training. People can discuss that.

I think of your second sentence and draw attention to your first sentence!

Her hubs behaviour might have raised eyebrows to elite athletes as they watch her and her hubby take the medals home! It's completely irrelevant. If she doesn't like the husbands approach she's free to use somebody else's. She obviously doesn't have an issue with it. If other people do they are just wasting their time. He's a bit shouty, big deal, so was Alex Ferguson.

Bear in mind that isn't the point here. The point here is that people were up in arms over him getting any sort of praise for her success. Obviously she was the talent, but make no mistake about it, he played a part too.

I think of your second sentence and draw attention to your first sentence!

Her hubs behaviour might have raised eyebrows to elite athletes as they watch her and her hubby take the medals home! It's completely irrelevant. If she doesn't like the husbands approach she's free to use somebody else's. She obviously doesn't have an issue with it. If other people do they are just wasting their time. He's a bit shouty, big deal, so was Alex Ferguson.

Bear in mind that isn't the point here. The point here is that people were up in arms over him getting any sort of praise for her success. Obviously she was the talent, but make no mistake about it, he played a part too.

Well, your two examples aren't really comparable in light of what we know about him. She is indeed welcome to use another trainer. But I wouldn't just assume she is happy. I've read a lot about athletes down the years because it interests me and it's not unusual for former athletes to criticise their erstwhile trainer.

It's reaching a bit to compare this to the article on Sergio Garcia and his wife. The Sergio article is pretty light in tone. Nobody seriously thinks that anyone but Sergio is responsible for his success. His talent would have been apparent long before he even met his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Well, your two examples aren't really comparable in light of what we know about him. She is indeed welcome to use another trainer. But I wouldn't just assume she is happy. I've read a lot about athletes down the years because it interests me and it's not unusual for former athletes to criticise their erstwhile trainer.

It's reaching a bit to compare this to the article on Sergio Garcia and his wife. The Sergio article is pretty light in tone. Nobody seriously thinks that anyone but Sergio is responsible for his success. His talent would have been apparent long before he even met his wife.

I dont think its reaching to compare the two, unless we are being sexist and automatically assume that a woman couldnt possibly have a positive effect on their partners career.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I dont think its reaching to compare the two, unless we are being sexist and automatically assume that a woman couldnt possibly have a positive effect on their partners career.

Right so, let compare them and ignore all the differences between the two reportings, the tone of the article etc.

I'm sure she was encouraging towards him, what with being his fiancée and all, but she isn't his coach and her behaviour around him hasn't raised the eyebrows of seasoned professionals. But let's artfully ignore all that, wha'?

__Alex__ wrote:

The coverage on sky sports made me wonder if she was going to take the winning putt for him. I've seen several pieces of coverage since (including here in this country) which attributed this win to her.

__Alex__ wrote:

Indeed.....but they tend to keep quiet while they are being adorned with medals in the process, and throw the elbow in after all is said and done. A lot of athletes aren't happy at the time, but they accept the trade-off. Happy might be less important than success.

We don't even know if this is something which even bothers her.

The coverage on sky sports made me wonder if she was going to take the winning putt for him. I've seen several pieces of coverage since (including here in this country) which attributed this win to her.

Attributed is FAR too strong a word. The article you linked here shows that. It's a fluff piece so light it almost need to be tethered to stop floating off. In the article, some satellite person says "He was always a great player, I think he is even better since they got together". That's just one person and the focus is still mostly on him with the statement. This really is just hypersensitivity. You think anyone is seriously even factoring her into their thinking when considering his Masters win?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I think we need to do some kind of AMA with this golfer chap and the swimmer. Settle this once and for all, yo! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

There's an interesting article in the Guardian about Laura Kipnis , a professor who wrote about Title IX, the federal staute in the States that is driving the current rape culture paranoia on US campuses. The one where the accused are denied any legal representation or information about their charges until they turn up, so can not prepare any defense!

Of course, writing about this means that 3rd wave feminists turned on her.

The article ends with comparing this hysteria to the Salem Witch Trials, but to me it looks like self appointed student groups are acting like Mao's Red Guards in the Cultural Revolution. Trying to cow professors and academics into submission for fear of losing their jobs, or worse.

Just watched this Laura Kipnis video and she is such an impressive speaker.
    Open-minded, nuanced, articulate and honest.
    Talking about the difficulties of feminism today. How it's monolithic and regressive in many ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Just watched the recent episode of All Around to Mrs Brown (s01e06). There is a segement called "Mammy of the Week", were children pay tribute to their mothers and inform us why she deserves to be mother of the week. Queue the funny anecdotes etc.

However, one 'funny' anecedote is that she has a 'terrible temper' and takes it out on the husband. She has thrown toasters and hairdryers etc at him. But the funniest part for the audience was the photo of the hole in the wall that still remains from the knife she threw at him. Which she says is a constant reminder to him to, "stay on her good side". All hysterics!!

Reverse the genders etc....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

py2006 wrote: »
    Just watched the recent episode of All Around to Mrs Brown (s01e06). There is a segement called "Mammy of the Week", were children pay tribute to their mothers and inform us why she deserves to be mother of the year. Queue the funny anecdotes etc.

However, one 'funny' anecedote is that she has a 'terrible temper' and takes it out on the husband. She has thrown toasters and hairdryers etc. But the funniest part for the audience was the photo of the hole in the wall that still remains from the knife she threw at him. Which she says is a constant reminder to him to, "stay on her good side". All hysterics!!

Reverse the genders etc....

I'm sure there were quite a few male victims of domestic violence watching that and thinking wtf.

And of course if he retaliated in any way after having toasters and knives thrown at him he would be branded the domestic abuser. Society has such a long way to go yet in understanding male victims and female aggressors in domestic violence.

I recently setup my own business (I'm essentially self-employed). I received the following e-mail this morning, and this sort of stuff is par for the course. I'm sick of this leg-up stuff that's going on!

Disclaimer: I'm a man.

"Competitive Start Fund (CSF) for Female Entrepreneurs Open Evening in the GEC May 8th

Enterprise Ireland’s €750,000 Competitive Start Fund (CSF) for Female Entrepreneurs will open for applications on Wednesday 3rd May and closes at 3pm on Wednesday 17th May. Equity funding of €50,000 is available to a maximum of 15 successful female applicants with early stage, female-led start-up companies. Last year, one in three companies that received CSF investment from Enterprise Ireland were female-led.

The purpose of this CSF is to accelerate the growth of female-led start-up companies that have the potential to develop an innovative product or service for sale on international markets, and the potential to create 10 jobs and €1m in sales within 3-4 years of starting up. The fund is designed to accelerate ambitious females to reach their key commercial and technical milestones, build out and validate a scalable business proposition."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    Sometimes I feel like I'm in a 70s dystopian film. Where else would you find the motto equality through discrimination appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I recently setup my own business (I'm essentially self-employed). I received the following e-mail this morning, and this sort of stuff is par for the course. I'm sick of this leg-up stuff that's going on!

Disclaimer: I'm a man.

"Competitive Start Fund (CSF) for Female Entrepreneurs Open Evening in the GEC May 8th

Enterprise Ireland’s €750,000 Competitive Start Fund (CSF) for Female Entrepreneurs will open for applications on Wednesday 3rd May and closes at 3pm on Wednesday 17th May. Equity funding of €50,000 is available to a maximum of 15 successful female applicants with early stage, female-led start-up companies. Last year, one in three companies that received CSF investment from Enterprise Ireland were female-led.

The purpose of this CSF is to accelerate the growth of female-led start-up companies that have the potential to develop an innovative product or service for sale on international markets, and the potential to create 10 jobs and €1m in sales within 3-4 years of starting up. The fund is designed to accelerate ambitious females to reach their key commercial and technical milestones, build out and validate a scalable business proposition."

My local enterprise board pull the same sort of crap, women only lectures, and networking events

Anyway to tackle this blatant sexism? or are there other supports available.

I wonder what will be the out come of this will men start turning away from the enterprise boards? its already hard enough to be an entrepreneur in Ireland, i would think you would be mad to create jobs for a ungrateful goverment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

My local enterprise board pull the same sort of crap, women only lectures, and networking events
    For what it is worth, I just got this as a boosted post in my twitter feed i.e. Bank of Ireland paid for it to be boosted. Don't see that happening if the genders were reversed.

https://twitter.com/bankofireland/status/859334986159108096

The Department of Justice and Equality's National Women's Strategy 2017-2020 was launched today. There is no similar strategy for men.
    https://twitter.com/karenmc_l/status/859762155012358145

The new National Women's Strategy will set out Government policy on promoting equality and the empowerment of women and girls from 2017 to 2020.
    https://www.ibec.ie/IBEC/DFB.nsf/vPages/Social_affairs~Consultations_and_submissions~national-women's-strategy-and-action-plan-2017-2020-13-12-2016?OpenDocument#.WQnyA4jyuUk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What a great use of our taxes.

might be unfair picking on these tweets , but if talking about equality one should be looking at reasonable ways of achieving 50/50, given the way the prism is normally turned the other way

https://twitter.com/SimonCommunity/status/859784272919629824

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Empower women.. empowerment of women... i'm completely sick of that word empower.. What empowerment do they need in 2017 everything is set up for them. They have never had it so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

red ears wrote: »
    Empower women.. empowerment of women... i'm completely sick of that word empower.. What empowerment do they need in 2017 everything is set up for them. They have never had it so good.

Quite a bit of irony in that I think. "Empowering" people by assisting them and making things easier for them? Surely women would be more empowered if they actually achieved what they wanted through their own hard work and initiative without being aided at the expense of others. All these schemes just send out a message that women are actively being prevented from doing and achieving what they want and it's really not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

silverharp wrote: »
    might be unfair picking on these tweets , but if talking about equality one should be looking at reasonable ways of achieving 50/50, given the way the prism is normally turned the other way

https://twitter.com/SimonCommunity/status/859784272919629824

Not unfair at all. In fact homeless women and children get far more coverage in the media so I have no idea what the Simon Community are on about.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Quite a bit of irony in that I think. "Empowering" people by assisting them and making things easier for them?

Empowerment through victimhood and infantilisation. The only thing that should pay over the odds in our capitalist society are good ideas and hard work. Generally speaking, if you're not successful, it's because an absence of one of the above. If that's not for you, you should consider becoming a primary school teacher or something equally 'safe'.

The 'patriarchy' seems to exist to ensure double standards and special privileges for women using tax payers money to do so.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Empowerment through victimhood and infantilisation. The only thing that should pay over the odds in our capitalist society are good ideas and hard work. Generally speaking, if you're not successful, it's because an absence of one of the above. If that's not for you, you should consider becoming a primary school teacher or something equally 'safe'.

The 'patriarchy' seems to exist to ensure double standards and special privileges for women using tax payers money to do so.

Funnily enough the gender split tends to be more skewed towards females in terms of primary school teaching and other careers with more work/life balance i.e. shorter hours and longer holidays. That's no criticism of women by the way, it's a perfectly reasonable decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Funnily enough the gender split tends to be more skewed towards females in terms of primary school teaching and other careers with more work/life balance i.e. shorter hours and longer holidays. That's no criticism of women by the way, it's a perfectly reasonable decision.

Some thoughts from Jordan Petersen. His examples are on the far end but the underlying truth is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Did anybody read the Independent today, be interested to know how the following article read and what it's narrative was as it sure sounds like a load of sexist tosh from the following lead up piece regarding it:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/inside-the-womens-prison-society-says-she-deserves-what-she-gets-but-the-child-is-also-impacted-by-this-35709316.html

Did anybody read the Independent today, be interested to know how the following article read and what it's narrative was as it sure sounds like a load of sexist tosh from the following lead up piece regarding it:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/inside-the-womens-prison-society-says-she-deserves-what-she-gets-but-the-child-is-also-impacted-by-this-35709316.html

Indeed I did I linked it in the thread in AH , we want equality but not in the though areas because think of the children .

Pure BS, i think though the article is sexist against women though as it reenforces the whole patriarchal view of how the world should work.

This is a very interesting piece in psychology today.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/talking-about-men/201705/gender-and-mental-health-do-men-matter-too

From the article: Firstly, the phrase "gender equality" is implicitly equated with women’s health throughout the report. Only two paragraphs out of 163 are devoted to men’s mental health.

Yes we do indeed have inequality in Europe today but it is not women who are disadvantaged its quite often men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

"We would argue that equality is not about treating everybody the same. Equality is about treating everybody in accordance with their specific needs."

Inside a women's prison: 'My daughter thinks I'm away doing a hairdressing course'

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/inside-a-womens-prison-my-daughter-thinks-im-away-doing-a-hairdressing-course-35706399.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

py2006 wrote: »
    "We would argue that equality is not about treating everybody the same. Equality is about treating everybody in accordance with their specific needs."

Inside a women's prison: 'My daughter thinks I'm away doing a hairdressing course'

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/inside-a-womens-prison-my-daughter-thinks-im-away-doing-a-hairdressing-course-35706399.html

That quote has a serious whiff of marxism to it, treating everyone to their specifics needs!!
    Sounds great in theory but who decides what those needs are and when they get them. If people can't see who morally bankrupt such a system would be then they should read up on the Soviet union and China under Mao.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

I find this piece the most unbalanced:
    Women in prison: The need for radical reform
    Expert view: Dr Christina Quinlan
    http://www.independent.ie/life/women-in-prison-the-need-for-radical-reform-35706365.html

blame the mens :D

http://nypost.com/2017/05/13/childish-men-are-to-blame-for-women-having-kids-late-in-life/
    Childish men are to blame for women having kids late in life

I hear the same story, told in different ways, all over New York City.

There’s 34-year-old Kate, who works in finance downtown. “She’s beautiful, smart, talented . . . everything going for her,” her colleague tells me. “But her boyfriend doesn’t feel settled in his career, so she spent thousands of dollars to freeze her eggs as she waits for him to be ready.”

Susan, 41, a single senior marketing executive from the Upper East Side, is eight months pregnant. After waiting for her match and not finding him, she decided to have a baby on her own.

And then there’s Joanna, from the Upper West Side, who tells me that at age 32, she stepped off the partner track at her law firm, halving her salary to work in the firm’s marketing department, so she could focus on landing a husband. But at 39, Joanna is still single and childless — and unsatisfied in her career.

These women aren’t alone. The latest US Census Fertility Report, published last week, found that for the first time in reported history over half (53.8 percent) of women ages 25-29 are childless and a record 30.8 percent of American women ages 30 to 34 haven’t given birth. Most of these women are college-educated. And most are single.

The census labels childless college-educated women over age 35 the “delayer boom” — as if we gathered together in a collective conspiracy in defiance of motherhood. Others dub this cohort “career women” as if we made a choice between having a family and a career. (There are no “career men,” mind you.) Some blame women for being naive about their fertility, as if we had no monthly reminder of our own ticking clock.

The trouble with all this finger pointing is that it leaves out half of the baby-making equation: men.

Women want an equal partner, but there are increasingly fewer candidates to choose from. The census reports that “the average adult woman in the US is more likely to be a college graduate than the average adult man.” Moreover, today’s young, childless female city-dwellers with college degrees are out-earning their male counterparts by 8 cents on the dollar. Their higher incomes may be why they are less likely (29 percent) to be living with their parents than single men (35 percent).

It’s not surprising then that a 2012 Pew Research study found, in a reversal of traditional gender roles, that while two-thirds of millennial women say that “being successful in a high-paying career or profession” is of high importance to them, only 59 percent of young men do. At the same time, a significantly larger number of young women than men say that a successful marriage is “one of the most important things in life.” Almost 60 percent of women rate successful parenting as one of the most important parts of life, while only 47 percent of young men do, according to Pew.

Today’s empowered young women are not only placing greater value on the importance of marriage and parenthood than the generation that precedes them, they also value high paying careers more than ever. And millennial men? They’re lagging behind.

This shift has caused a seesaw effect. “When women are in oversupply, men have the advantage and delay marriage and parenthood,” Jon Birger, author of “Date-onomics: How Dating Became a Lopsided Numbers Game,” told The Post. And when men are scarce, women put an even stronger focus on their careers so they can take care of themselves with a financial safety net. Meanwhile, men take a step back in their career ambition, no longer having to impress an oversupply of women with their financial prowess.

Women can’t wait for today’s perpetual male adolescence to change course. And they can’t bank on finding an equal mate while they’re of childbearing age — if ever. If they want a family, single women have to come up with a Plan B, where a young man with the same socioeconomic status isn’t necessarily part of the picture.

For some young college educated women, an older partner may work. Middle-aged men place a higher value on marriage and parenthood than their younger counterparts do, according to Pew. Birger also advises college-educated women to consider a different cohort of men altogether. “If there are too many women in the white-collar dating world,” Birger contends, “that means there are too many men in the blue-collar one. I think it’s inevitable that we’ll see more and more of what I call ‘mixed-collar’ marriages in the future.”

Either way, like Kate and Susan, young women should plan for later age fertility and motherhood, now. Egg-freezing is an option for those who can afford what can cost $12,000 or more, plus ongoing storage fees, and later IVF – albeit, with no guarantee of success.

Whatever choice they make, young women should consider their options, and move forward. Wait for love, absolutely. But be ready in case love doesn’t come in time for motherhood.

Melanie Notkin is the author of “Otherhood: Modern Women Finding a New Kind of Happiness” and founder of Savvy Auntie.

silverharp wrote: »

Someone should tell that author marriage isn't the great deal for men she thinks it is. She shouldn't be surprised they aren't as interested in it as women. If it fails.. men are screwed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    I don't see how a man who's unsettled in his career is immature. The author seems to have a very weird train of thought.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    I always find those kind of articles weird. Maybe it is just that I don't buy into the idea that just because women want to be married , have kids and have high paying jobs that men are obliged to want things that complement that. Some will , some wont and what men do will probably be influenced by how those various institutions treat men.

psinno wrote: »
    I always find those kind of articles weird. Maybe it is just that I don't buy into the idea that just because women want to be married , have kids and have high paying jobs that men are obliged to want things that complement that. Some will , some wont and what men do will probably be influenced by how those various institutions treat men.

She is almost a cliche , did some humanities degree and now gets paid to write stuff on the internet living in her own bubble like some z version of sex in the city. Meanwhile most other people are getting on with it and at the end of the day you generally get what you put time and effort into wanting.
    Clearly there is a statistical change at the margin and it means something but it includes economics and reducing it to men prefer video games is just avoiding responsibility.

you could almost write an essay on each of her paragraphs , but take the one below, women out earning men is considered ok or not worth commenting on but talk about the "wage gap" the other way and something must be done.
    Women want an equal partner, but there are increasingly fewer candidates to choose from. The census reports that “the average adult woman in the US is more likely to be a college graduate than the average adult man.” Moreover, today’s young, childless female city-dwellers with college degrees are out-earning their male counterparts by 8 cents on the dollar. Their higher incomes may be why they are less likely (29 percent) to be living with their parents than single men (35 percent).

or this one, clearly not true or needs to be unpacked
    Today’s empowered young women are not only placing greater value on the importance of marriage and parenthood than the generation that precedes them, they also value high paying careers more than ever. And millennial men? They’re lagging behind.

They know it's not going to be challenged in any meaningful way.

We are living in an era of almost zero consequences for low grade opinions.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/oxford-student-christ-church-lavinia-woodward-stabbed-boyfriend-avoid-jail-extraordinary-talent-a7739411.html

Similar story here to the rape case involving the Stanford swimmer in the United States. I doubt the there will be as much uproar if this girl's talent get's her off the hook. Personally, a drug user with an anger management problem is not someone who I'd like to have operating on my heart.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/oxford-student-christ-church-lavinia-woodward-stabbed-boyfriend-avoid-jail-extraordinary-talent-a7739411.html

Similar story here to the rape case involving the Stanford swimmer in the United States. I doubt the there will be as much uproar if this girl's talent get's her off the hook. Personally, a drug user with an anger management problem is not someone who I'd like to have operating on my heart.

It hardly needs to be said but reverse the genders and you would have a custodial sentence, expulsion from university and disbarred from working in the medical profession.

red ears wrote: »
    It hardly needs to be said but reverse the genders and you would have a custodial sentence, expulsion from university and disbarred from working in the medical profession.

And if not, international uproar over a lenient sentence due to his academic ability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement