Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

maybe
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4510778/Student-stabbed-lover-spared-jail.html

Did ya ever hear such shyte?
    I'm going to out now and stab someone* and sure I'll be sound like because I've an "extraordinary" talent ( I breathe in...wait for it..and out, all by myself!)
    If it were a fella it wouldn't have been a "swipe" it would have been a "bloodbath massacre" and he'd be fuct into prison for years on end.
    Bloody sickening.

*I won't. Too busy this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,708 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Panthro wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4510778/Student-stabbed-lover-spared-jail.html

Did ya ever hear such shyte?
    I'm going to out now and stab someone* and sure I'll be sound like because I've an "extraordinary" talent ( I breathe in...wait for it..and out, all by myself!)
    If it were a fella it wouldn't have been a "swipe" it would have been a "bloodbath massacre" and he'd be fuct into prison for years on end.
    Bloody sickening.

*I won't. Too busy this week

she seems to have the mental fortitude of jelly, god help her future patients.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Panthro wrote: »

does it even matter, presumably employment applications ask have you been convicted of serious criminal acts? and not specifically have you gone to jail? I assume this will still follow her around like a bad smell

Now just to play devil's advocate wasn't there a stink here about a judge letting a student off so that he could get into a career. Is it possible its more a class thing and that if it was a male up and coming surgeon the judge might gone down a similar route difference being media would be hyperventilating whereas this actual case will be forgotten about by tomorrow?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

maybe
    silverharp wrote: »
    does it even matter, presumably employment applications ask have you been convicted of serious criminal acts? and not specifically have you gone to jail? I assume this will still follow her around like a bad smell

Now just to play devil's advocate wasn't there a stink here about a judge letting a student off so that he could get into a career. Is it possible its more a class thing and that if it was a male up and coming surgeon the judge might gone down a similar route difference being media would be hyperventilating whereas this actual case will be forgotten about by tomorrow?

I reckon it's very much a class thing as well. Look how lightly some people are dealt with in Irish courts when they have the right address and a good lawyer. As for her career? She's fooked anyway. One google of her name is all it will take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

maybe
    "Best justice money can buy." Laughable.

I wonder how eager Christ College would be to take back a male student convicted of slashing his girlfriend during an intoxicated row.
    Mitigating, James Sturman QC said his client’s dreams of becoming a surgeon were “almost impossible” as her conviction would have to be disclosed.

Such a shame, she seemed to have such a natural aptitude for it too. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I see there is a bit of a furore in Brooklyn about a woman only screening of wonder woman. I'm sure the men of Brooklyn will be heartbroken. But it is sexist though and wouldn't go down well if sexes were reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

red ears wrote: »
    I see there is a bit of a furore in Brooklyn about a woman only screening of wonder woman. I'm sure the men of Brooklyn will be heartbroken. But it is sexist though and wouldn't go down well if sexes were reversed.

Not only that, it will be female only staff on too.
    "Apologies, gentlemen, but we're embracing our girl power and saying 'No Guys Allowed' for one special night at the Alamo Ritz," the theater wrote on its site. "And when we say 'People Who Identify As Women Only,' we mean it. Everyone working at this screening — venue staff, projectionist, and culinary team — will be female."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/wonder-woman-screening-women-only-hysterical-men-a7756791.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

They'll have their night, but they'll suffer for it afterwards. Men won't like being considered in this light and will be less likely to go back, the same goes for the film itself.

I hear that when challenged on the women only screening that they responded by putting on a second all female screening! This **** is nuts!

ligerdub wrote: »
    They'll have their night, but they'll suffer for it afterwards. Men won't like being considered in this light and will be less likely to go back, the same goes for the film itself.

I hear that when challenged on the women only screening that they responded by putting on a second all female screening! This **** is nuts!

To be fair, most men couldn't give a hoot about this kinda thing in general. Its the obvious furore of the reverse that men are pointing out.

• Advertisement

its the mens :D

DA6Q1SRUMAACmHn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The Independent might not be the biggest anti-male rag out there, but it's certainly the one moving through the ranks at the fastest pace.

Horrible publication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Blatantly cynical attempt to turn terrorism into feminist rhetoric. In essence, attempting to subvert the seriousness of terrorism and placing feminism above it in the pecking order of societal issues. Absolutely bankrupt fallacy. And to be frank, an absolute disservice to those murdered, maimed, or survived, and their families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

ligerdub wrote: »

Also the girls won't be shelling out the money for drinks and popcorn but will bring their own snacks since they'll have to pay for the film.

I'll enjoy downloading this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

maybe
    Also the girls won't be shelling out the money for drinks and popcorn but will bring their own snacks since they'll have to pay for the film.

It's hard to tell sometimes on this thread but this is a joke, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

A LIMERICK city woman who ‘glassed’ another Limerick woman in the face at a nightclub in Ennis has avoided a prison sentence.

Ciara Killeen, aged 32, of Hyde Road, Prospect pleaded guilty to assaulting Mary McCarthy, causing her harm, at Queens nightclub on November 1, 2015.

During a sentencing, Ennis Circuit Court was told Killeen had become involved in an argument with Ms McCarthy in the smoking area of the premises on Halloween night.

Ms McCarthy required treatment in hospital following the attack and received 23 stitches in her face.

Lorcan Connolly BL, prosecuting, said Killeen made full admissions when questioned by gardai. “She said that it wasn’t her intention to harm Mary McCarthy. She said that words were spoken between the two and she reacted.”

Killeen, he said, has 50 previous convictions – the vast majority of which relate to road traffic offences.

Mark Nicholas SC said his client apologises for the “very regrettable and terrible injury” which was caused. “She truly regrets what happened,” he said.

“Ms Killeen has had her own difficulties with relationships in the past - they have been quite wearing on her but she is managing herself and her children,” he added.

While the Director of Public Prosecutions consented to the matter being dealt with in the district court the case came before Ennis Circuit Court after district court judge Patrick Durcan declined to hear the case due to he serious nature of the allegations.

Imposing sentence, Judge Gerald Keys said he was conscious of the impact any prison sentence would have on Kileen’s two children who are aged 15 and seven.

“I accept you have had a difficult time but that does not excuse your conduct. The assault resulted in a very nasty injury and has had a very dramatic effect on your victim,” said Judge Keys as he addressed the defendant.

In imposing a suspended two-year sentence, he said Killeen should consider herself “very, very lucky” that she was not going to jail.

Speaking afterwards, Ms McCarthy said she was not happy with the sentence imposed. “She should have got jail. She glassed me in the face for nothing,” she told reporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

50 previous convictions and found guilty of violent assault but we can't let her go to jail because she's a mammy.

Very typical of the Irish justice system ime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Kids would be better off without a mother like that.

you have to be some class of scumbag to glass someone, if she has done it there she has probably done it before. It doesn't really fall under instinctive reactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

maybe
    Terrific role model there, 50 previous and a violent assault yet not a second spent behind bars.
    Well done judge FFS.

Wonder if the dad is on the scene. He could have a nice few reasons why his kids shouldn't be anywhere near that scumbag

Let's be honest, anyone likely to impregnate a scumbag like that is most likely a scumbag themselves.

That said, on the off-chance that he isn't, it really wouldn't surprise me to hear that he'd been denied access (nevermind custody) by the courts because she knew how to play the system and had gotten a barring order against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Live in Spain. Got locked up for 24 hours and brought before a Judge to demonstrate my innocence after ex-GF had a melt down during a verbal argument and called the police.

I had kicked an exercise ball on my way out the door in frustration. (violence to furniture was one of the charges, insulting my GF was another).

The police (both male and female) were apologetic when they were putting me in cell with about 15 other lads.

Spain's gender protection laws are known to be a bit unfair, you don't really see how much until you experience it yourself.

Judge let me off after I explained that we were both shouting bull**** at each other. Still the police had to arrest me without evidence of wrong doing and I was guilty until I could prove my self innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Jimmurt, exact same thing happened to a friend of mine

jimmurt wrote: »
    Live in Spain. Got locked up for 24 hours and brought before a Judge to demonstrate my innocence after ex-GF had a melt down during a verbal argument and called the police.

I had kicked an exercise ball on my way out the door in frustration. (violence to furniture was one of the charges, insulting my GF was another).

The police (both male and female) were apologetic when they were putting me in cell with about 15 other lads.

Spain's gender protection laws are known to be a bit unfair, you don't really see how much until you experience it yourself.

Judge let me off after I explained that we were both shouting bull**** at each other. Still the police had to arrest me without evidence of wrong doing and I was guilty until I could prove my self innocent.

so if you had just walked out silent you would have probably have been done for failure to communicate and resolve dispute. that's fcked up. I hadn't heard of this before, is there a lot of media reaction against this in Spain or are they behind it?

so if you had just walked out silent you would have probably have been done for failure to communicate and resolve dispute. that's fcked up. I hadn't heard of this before, is there a lot of media reaction against this in Spain or are they behind it?

There's a lot of people and groups fighting for it to be removed. It came in with a leftist government in 2004 and now people are lobbying for it to be removed as they have a center right government for the last few years.

Feminist supporters of the law have a strong voice in the country so it's not that easy to achieve (even though some judges are against it and pointing out it violates basic human rights).

Interesting vid below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjgBfklmYj8

Interesting, Ill look at that vid later, cheers

Jesus, 400 accusations against men on a DAILY basis in Spain and 90% are false!!

you would have probably have been done for failure to communicate and resolve dispute.
    That can't be a thing? Please, tell me, you can't get arrested for not giving someone "closure"?:eek:

Sleepy wrote: »
    That can't be a thing? Please, tell me, you can't get arrested for not giving someone "closure"?:eek:

I hope not, but it seems more serious than attacking furniture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

Spain Gender laws: A country against men
    http://kukuruyo.com/2016/02/17/spain-gender-laws-a-country-against-men/

---
    How gender violence stats are collected
    http://kukuruyo.com/comic/gender-violence-stats-collected/

The twitter account RealPeerReview is doing a bang up job uncovering the nuttery that goes on in the sociology and related fields

On how Boy’s Life magazine teaches hegemonic masculinity to boys

https://twitter.com/RealPeerReview/status/872420155489488896

DBt1WGcXYAEwiht.jpg:small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    iptba wrote: »

Jesus, I had no idea things were that bad in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Jesus, I had no idea things were that bad in Spain.

The Guardian reports today (June 8) that Madrid's Municipal Transport Authority is posting signs to discourage "manspreading". Like "mansplaining" it seems to me this is yet another way of attacking men just for being men. I have never in my life heard anyone mention or comment on this alleged problem outside of the media. And, in the spirit of equality, why aren't there signs to discourage women from spreading their handbags and shopping all over bus & train seats?

59464a90-0d43-4f2d-a0ad-7d5ff9119dc3

EDIT - it comes as no surprise to read on the Madrid Transport Authority website that these signs are being introduced at the request of a "feminist collective"

http://www.emtmadrid.es/Noticias/EMT-amplia-su-senalizacion-a-bordo-del-autobus-par.aspx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That has to be a pisstake?

gizmo555 wrote: »
    The Guardian reports today (June 8) that Madrid's Municipal Transport Authority is posting signs to discourage "manspreading". Like "mansplaining" it seems to me this is yet another way of attacking men just for being men. I have never in my life heard anyone mention or comment on this alleged problem outside of the media. And, in the spirit of equality, why aren't there signs to discourage women from spreading their handbags and shopping all over bus & train seats?

You mentioned, why not have a campaign targeting women for things they generally do.

The worst thing about this ad campaign is that it says the this manspreading is offensive to woman. I made a point on a Spanish FB page that if some men were taking up more than their share of the seat then wouldnt this affect everyone, and not just women.

Thats the worst part of it for me. If people are being dicks on the metro it affects everyone.

if I have this right, it will only apply to men, and this is the good mayor that is pushing it. Has to be a glitch in the matrix

https://twitter.com/CllrKRedmond/status/872890957347344387

https://twitter.com/SFLMadrid/status/872878489669685248

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

EDIT - it comes as no surprise to read on the Madrid Transport Authority website that these signs are being introduced at the request of a "feminist collective"

http://www.emtmadrid.es/Noticias/EMT-amplia-su-senalizacion-a-bordo-del-autobus-par.aspx
    It would have been more in their line to stick up a sign asking people not to hog seats with shopping bags.

mzungu wrote: »
    It would have been more in their line to stick up a sign asking people not to hog seats with shopping bags.

Yeah like there are so many more annoying and more frequent thing bad behavior traits on the metro, but only one is done mostly by men, so they are going with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Yeah like there are so many more annoying and more frequent thing bad behavior traits on the metro, but only one is done mostly by men, so they are going with that.

Every Irish train has signs asking people not to put their feet on seats. In my experience these are frequently ignored, but much more often by women than men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Jesus Christ I don't know how I'd feel if I saw a sign like that, its unbelievable.

what the fckidyfck!
    Harry‏ @Harrybfc1889 · 8h8 hours ago

 More

@Sargon_of_Akkad this is what I was "taught" in English revision today. Indoctrination.

DB1pfOIXsAA38Fa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

These ultra-extremist idiot have always been around, but what really baffles is the consideration and attention they're getting over the last 5 years or so. I can't for the life of me understand why this is happening - there has to be some MAJOR economical / financial / political reason behind it, no movement or idea reaches that much influence without any of the above.

I heard this thing on the radio this morning, where it was reported with some sort of badly hidden statisfaction (4FM). Yep, sure, being a total d1ck and taking two seats isn't ideal, but (to begin with) it's not just men doing that; but the campaign specifically targets "sitting with your legs open" and affixes it to men - as if, say, sitting with an enourmous bag on your side wasn't an issue.

But the icing on the cake is the fact that "manspreading" has been defined as "sexually abusive"...so we're at a point where a random guy, sitting on a train minding his business/reading the paper/watching Champions League highlights on the phone or whatever, is sexually assaulting someone.
    Also, if there happen to be two other guys by his side, is everything ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    These ultra-extremist idiot have always been around, but what really baffles is the consideration and attention they're getting over the last 5 years or so. I can't for the life of me understand why this is happening - there has to be some MAJOR economical / financial / political reason behind it, no movement or idea reaches that much influence without any of the above.

I heard this thing on the radio this morning, where it was reported with some sort of badly hidden statisfaction (4FM). Yep, sure, being a total d1ck and taking two seats isn't ideal, but (to begin with) it's not just men doing that; but the campaign specifically targets "sitting with your legs open" and affixes it to men - as if, say, sitting with an enourmous bag on your side wasn't an issue.

But the icing on the cake is the fact that "manspreading" has been defined as "sexually abusive"...so we're at a point where a random guy, sitting on a train minding his business/reading the paper/watching Champions League highlights on the phone or whatever, is sexually assaulting someone.
    Also, if there happen to be two other guys by his side, is everything ok?

And this sort of unfairness is possible because men don't have any advocacy groups speaking out against it. We are told we don't need them and to complain means we are misogynist. Where is this going to stop?

what the fckidyfck!

DB1pfOIXsAA38Fa.jpg

ashleigh graham.‏

I'm pretty sure Lady Macbeth was the main villain, so wait... is that toxic femininity? 👀
    Harry‏ @Harrybfc1889 4h4 hours ago

I did put this point across but my teacher responded with "there's no such thing as toxic femininity"

https://twitter.com/ashtweets25/status/873190873667907584

https://twitter.com/Harrybfc1889/status/873191155336441856

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    You don't hear the phrase toxic femininity much because there is a word for it.

psinno wrote: »
    What word would that be? And would English teachers use it in schools as a way to analyse a piece of (Shakespearean) literature?

psinno wrote: »

feminists :D

I'd hope their state exams wouldnt ask these questions so the teacher here is just wasting their time. It is funny though younger teenagers are following guys like Sargon and can at least kick back a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

iptba wrote: »

Ah, easy - "toxic masculinity" because the author, William Shakespeare, was a man, and as a man he had the nerve of making a woman the villain of the story - a woman, which as such everybody knows, is only capable of motherly, tender compassion and love. Shakespeare instead brought forward the impossible idea that a woman might actually be capable of a broad spectrum of emotions and behaviours, you know, stuff like revenge, fury, rage, malignancy - that would make her a human being, which I mean...patriarchy! Toxic masculinity! :D

If it was a lecture, the best thing to do would have been to walk out, really.

From what I've picked up, quite a lot of 3rd level literature courses can involve feminist analysis of literature.

Though when a man wanted to teach a "men in literature" course (in the US), he faced difficulties:
    Springfield College Tries To Oust Professor For Teaching ‘Men In Literature’

The world has more than 900 women's studies programs, and thousands of classes about women in literature. English professor Dennis Gouws tries to teach one 'men in literature' class, and it's one too many.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/03/29/springfield-college-tries-oust-professor-teaching-men-literature/

• Advertisement
Advertisement