Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

*.*

Ill say it again, I don't think anything should be banned. You feminists love to ban things while fair & logical people like myself believe in free speech regardless of how it effects my "feels". Each to their own I say.

As for what can be done? Change the culture of man hating by having discussions about it, like what we are doing now. Thanks to the poster who highlighted the headlines and got us all talking. Such discussions in the public sphere means people will vote with their wallets about such things eventually.

Such discussions in the public sphere means people will vote with their wallets about such things eventually.

even if they don't, more discussions mean a greater sharing of real information on the topic, to inform men (and women) of the realities of the situation we're developing. If we were to completely rely on the media, government, etc for our information on gender issues, we would solely be on the receiving end of feminist approved information which is biased from start to finish.

The more that men can engage in a discussion or debate publically about gender issues with relevant statistics and research the better. Rather than huffing and puffing around the discussions getting lost when the feminist propaganda is used in response... ;):D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    didn't understand this one:confused:
    It's fairly simple as I see it PR. There are women and girls and there are "Chicks". This is pure ChickThink™ and much of ChickThink™ can be explained away by attention seeking. Look at me! Look at meeee!!!! Feed her and similar like her through this filter of a pathological need for attention, going on Feelz™ and It's always men's fault and women are agentless victims, but we want it all™ and it'll fit 90% with current "feminist" positions, worldview and diatribe.

Oh it'll sound somewhat sensible in places. Just like any extremist politic that gets popular, but will melt away with any sort of considered debate. Which they are pretty much incapable of.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,560 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No I didnt as I stated earlier it would be a waste of time the Garda wouldnt give a **** about a male.

To be fair, that’s a big assumption that the guard wouldn’t take it seriously. And it shows an acceptance of an inequality -if it exists.

If you, as a man who I presume claims to care about men’s rights, would accept that level of inequality, would you ever expect it to change?

If the reason you didn’t report it because ‘It would be a waste of time the Garda wouldnt give a **** about a male’ , then it’s exactly the sort of issue to campaign about and get the Garda ombudsman involved to investigate a case of for ignoring an assault on the basis of gender...

Or p1ss and moan about a presumption that the police wouldn’t give a sh1t about a male. Nobody on this forum will challenge your assumption so you might as well.

*.*

Ill say it again, I don't think anything should be banned. You feminists love to ban things while fair & logical people like myself believe in free speech regardless of how it effects my "feels". Each to their own I say.

As for what can be done? Change the culture of man hating by having discussions about it, like what we are doing now. Thanks to the poster who highlighted the headlines and got us all talking. Such discussions in the public sphere means people will vote with their wallets about such things eventually.

Lol. Don’t tell me what I’m interested in doing. You can ask if you want to know.

So it hurts your feels, and that’s fair enough because of your belief in free speech. Would that be a fair summary?

FWIW I must be reading the wrong media because I don’t feel hated by modern culture. I’m sorry to hear that’s your experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

To be fair, that’s a big assumption that the guard wouldn’t take it seriously. And it shows an acceptance of an inequality -if it exists.

If you, as a man who I presume claims to care about men’s rights, would accept that level of inequality, would you ever expect it to change?

If the reason you didn’t report it because ‘It would be a waste of time the Garda wouldnt give a **** about a male’ , then it’s exactly the sort of issue to campaign about and get the Garda ombudsman involved to investigate a case of for ignoring an assault on the basis of gender...

Or p1ss and moan about a presumption that the police wouldn’t give a sh1t about a male. Nobody on this forum will challenge your assumption so you might as well.

Personal experience with them were a complaint was made and I was blamed so yeh they dont care.

Personal experience with them were a complaint was made and I was blamed so yeh they dont care.

Anecdotes aside, I doubt it’s reasonable to expect them to dismiss a complaint simply because of gender. Presumably the good ones outnumber the bad ones.

Lol. Don’t tell me what I’m interested in doing. You can ask if you want to know.

Ok sorry, every femenist with the exception of yourself.
    You can ask if you want to know

I dont want to know but thanks.
    So it hurts your feels, and that’s fair enough because of your belief in free speech. Would that be a fair summary?

Yep
    FWIW I must be reading the wrong media...

Either that or your a chick.

I have had a somewhat similar experience, in hindsight, I kind of regret not taking it further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

Sorry to hear you had that experience.

Ok sorry, every femenist with the exception of yourself.

Thank you for the apology. Still wrong but closer than before.
    I dont want to know but thanks.

Fair enough. As long as you're not going to presume to know what I think then your choosing ignorance won't affect me.
    Yep

Fair enough.
    Either that or your a chick.

Lol. Why would those be the only options? Either I'm reading the wrong media or a chick?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

In the interests of research I read a few of her articles.

This one in particular was fun

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/i-dont-know-if-i-can-raise-a-good-man_us_5a09c7cae4b0bc648a0cae52

Nuggets like
    When I became the mother of a son, I thought I’d dodged a bullet. All I had to do, I figured, was make sure he never raped anybody, and I’d be OK.

How was your weekend?
    Grand. We took Johnny to the park and fed the swans. There was a lovely little girl there with her family too. And yourself?
    Started training my 5 year old not to be a rapist. I can email on the manual, if you like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Started training my 5 year old not to be a rapist. I can email on the manual, if you like.

I am torn as I had to change my 1 year olds nappy earlier. Her behaviour clearly showed that she was not giving her consent. Does that make me a bad person? Should I let her wallow in her own sheite until she is old enough to give informed consent???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Anecdotes aside, I doubt it’s reasonable to expect them to dismiss a complaint simply because of gender. Presumably the good ones outnumber the bad ones.

Someone comes on and gives their own negative experience and you dismiss it out of hand. What an utterly nasty, mean spirited approach. Shame on you.

No doubt you, as a self identified feminist, will be just as happy to dismiss the experiences of women who’ve reported they’ve been raped and who havent felt their stories were taken seriously by the police.

tritium wrote:
    Someone comes on and gives their own negative experience and you dismiss it out of hand. What an utterly nasty, mean spirited approach. Shame on you.

No doubt you, as a self identified feminist, will be just as happy to dismiss the experiences of women who’ve reported they’ve been raped and who havent felt their stories were taken seriously by the police.

It's an anecdote, not Garda policy which means the police officer was completely out of order and it's an opportunity to achieve change . If a woman had a similar anecdote I would say exact the same thing. Get in touch with an advocacy group and get the ombudsman involved.

Posters keep bringing up that I identify as feminist as if its defining aspect of my outlook rather than a consequence of my outlook. In short, don't presume to know what I 'as a feminist' think because so far the posters have spunked off guesses have been well wide of the mark. If you want to know, ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

LOL just found this nugget after reading article after article about her son

Probably not the same person but read about a feminist raising her son's not to be rapists in the past and one is suicidal.

It's like you raise your sons and indoctrinate them into believe they are what's wrong with the world and potential rapist and you wonder why they have mental health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

twitter locked that mad feminist's twitter account

https://twitter.com/Suffragentleman/status/948111007699865600

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I wonder would you be so dismissive and condescending to a female who had been assaulted by a male. But of course, we ALL know the answer to that already. Guys p!ss and moan, women are victims.

givyjoe wrote:
    I wonder would you be so dismissive and condescending to a female who had been assaulted by a male. But of course, we ALL know the answer to that already. Guys p!ss and moan, women are victims.

Lol. Read the posts 4th and 5th before yours. The exact same question was asked and answered. Here it is :
    tritium wrote:
    It's an anecdote, not Garda policy which means the police officer was completely out of order and it's an opportunity to achieve change . If a woman had a similar anecdote I would say exact the same thing. Get in touch with an advocacy group and get the ombudsman involved.

But you're right. In the sense that women achieved change in making the authorities take assault against them seriously. Men haven't achieved that yet.

Lol. Read the posts 4th and 5th before yours. The exact same question was asked and answered. Here it is :

But you're right. In the sense that women achieved change in making the authorities take assault against them seriously. Men haven't achieved that yet.

It was a rhetorical question. I'll go by your actual posting history and opinions, rather than your disingenuous 'oh I'd say same the re: women'. I've literally never once seen you refer to any genuine gripe from women as 'pissing and moaning'.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote:
    It was a rhetorical question. I'll go by your actual posting history and opinions, rather than your disingenuous 'oh I'd say same the re: women'. I've literally never once seen you refer to any genuine gripe from women as 'pissing and moaning'.

Ha, so you'll make up your own interpretation because it wasn't the response you were prejudice towards. As you wish.

There have been a few attempts to read my mind and tell me what I think between this thread and the other. They've all been wrong with no desire to correct them. Don't suppose to know what I think, because you're showing that your guess is wrong.
    givyjoe wrote:
    I've literally never once seen you refer to any genuine gripe from women as 'pissing and moaning'.
    Of course I wouldn't refer to something I see a genuine gripe as 'pissing and moaning'.

There's plenty of 'pissing and moaning' in the feminist movement. They also happen to get things done where the MRA movement is much less focused on getting things done and more focused on pissing and moaning.

I'd love if the men's rights movement would keep their eyes on the prize

Ha, so you'll make up your own interpretation because it wasn't the response you were prejudice towards. As you wish.

There have been a few attempts to read my mind and tell me what I think between this thread and the other. They've all been wrong with no desire to correct them. Don't suppose to know what I think, because you're showing that your guess is wrong.

Of course I wouldn't refer to something I see a genuine gripe as 'pissing and moaning'.

There's plenty of 'pissing and moaning' in the feminist movement. They also happen to get things done where the MRA movement is much less focused on getting things done and more focused on pissing and moaning.

I'd love if the men's rights movement would keep their eyes on the prize

Hang on, you referred to the guy who didn't report the police as 'pissing and moaning'. So if he did report it, you wouldn't consider him to be pissing and moaning? Bizarre logic. Do you think a woman who's assaulted (or is the victim of any crime), is pissing and moaning if they don't report it to the guards, whatever their reason for not reporting.

PS No one is reading your mind, it's not necessary, just reading your post history here. Predictable all day long. There is no prejudice towards your posts, other than calling them out for what they are. It's not as if countless others haven't noticed and called you out on your posting style and repeated undermining of the concerns of men, in this case, assault.

Honestly, do you not get tired of posting the same crap over and over and over and over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

silverharp wrote: »
    twitter locked that mad feminist's twitter account

https://twitter.com/Suffragentleman/status/948111007699865600

Whose account, i can't get into twitter from here?

givyjoe wrote:
    Hang on, you referred to the guy who didn't report the police as 'pissing and moaning'. So if he did report it, you wouldn't consider him to be pissing and moaning? Bizarre logic.

If he did report it he would have been taking action which is very different from pissing and moaning. It's normal logic. Doing taking appropriate action = good, going on the internet to piss and moan is pissing and moaning.
    givyjoe wrote:
    Do you think a woman who's assaulted (or is the victim of any crime), is pissing and moaning if they don't report it to the guards, whatever their reason for not reporting.

Not for any reason but If for the same reason as the poster above then yes.
    givyjoe wrote:
    PS No one is reading your mind, it's not necessary, just reading your post history here. Predictable all day long. There is no prejudice towards your posts, other than calling them out for what they are. It's not as if countless others haven't noticed and called you out on your posting style and repeated undermining of the concerns of men, in this case, assault.

Lol. You decided to take the exact opposite meaning from my post because you suppose to know my mind in spite of my expressed opinion. So yes, you're mind-reading and you're wrong because of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

backspin. wrote: »
    Whose account, i can't get into twitter from here?

The Huff Post 'kill all men' employee

El Duderino why should I report it when I explained I got blamed the last time? As I have family in the Garda even in said station I wouldnt want to cause trouble by going to the ombudsman.

El Duderino why should I report it when I explained I got blamed the last time? As I have family in the Garda even in said station I wouldnt want to cause trouble by going to the ombudsman.

It seems like your family member wasn’t looking out for your best interest.

To answer your question, ‘why should I...’ you should do it because it’s an obvious case of discrimination on the basis of gender. It’s an opportunity to achieve the kind of change that women have achieved over the decades.

You’re free to do whatever you like. Some actions will be useful. Most won’t.

It seems like your family member wasn’t looking out for your best interest.

To answer your question, ‘why should I...’ you should do it because it’s an obvious case of discrimination on the basis of gender. It’s an opportunity to achieve the kind of change that women have achieved over the decades.

You’re free to do whatever you like. Some actions will be useful. Most won’t.

Do you always jump to conclusions? I never mentioned going to my family member just that they work there.

Do you always jump to conclusions? I never mentioned going to my family member just that they work there.

I didn't presume you went to them. I said they didn't do look after your best Interest. What an irrelevant point to pick out of that post.

You asked a question and I answered it honestly.

I didn't presume you went to them. I said they didn't do look after your best Interest. What an irrelevant point to pick out of that post.

You asked a question and I answered it honestly.

How can they look after my best interest when they dont know what happened, again making up scenarios.

• Advertisement

How can they look after my best interest when they dont know what happened, again making up scenarios.

Why on earth did you mention that you had a family member in the station if they didn't even know about your case? I have to admit I assumed your family member in the station at least knew about the situation or else why would you even bother mentioning them?

So your original point was that Gardai don't give a sh1t about males - which is nonsense. And now it turns out that you couldn't pursue it because you have a family member in the station. That's hardly any evidence that Gardai don't give a sh1t about males as you claimed originally. It's just an indication that your local Gardai aren't very good at their job.

Again, you asked a question and unanswered it. Why you're stuck on this little point, I don't know. You made your choice between doing something constructive or pissing and moaning on the internet.

Why on earth did you mention that you had a family member in the station if they didn't even know about your case? I have to admit I assumed your family member in the station at least knew about the situation or else why would you even bother mentioning them?

So your original point was that Gardai don't give a sh1t about males - which is nonsense. And now it turns out that you couldn't pursue it because you have a family member in the station. That's hardly any evidence that Gardai don't give a sh1t about males as you claimed originally. It's just an indication that your local Gardai aren't very good at their job.

Again, you asked a question and unanswered it. Why you're stuck on this little point, I don't know. You made your choice between doing something constructive or pissing and moaning on the internet.

You're not even listening ffs, the reason I wouldnt go to a ombudsman is because I dont want to cause trouble for the family member, I did make a complaint a few years ago and got blamed, I never said I involved a family member but no you as usual jump to conclusions, it's no wonder posters on here get so frustrated with you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    You made your choice between doing something constructive or pissing and moaning on the internet.
    "pissing and moaning" eh? Now you've strayed over the line of your usual trollish debating tactics and are damned close to attacking the poster not the posts. Drop this now or you will be banned.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You're not even listening ffs, the reason I wouldnt go to a ombudsman is because I dont want to cause trouble for the family member, I did make a complaint a few years ago and got blamed, I never said I involved a family member but no you as usual jump to conclusions, it's no wonder posters on here get so frustrated with you.

Copied from my last post.

"So your original point was that Gardai don't give a sh1t about males - which is nonsense. And now it turns out that you couldn't pursue it because you have a family member in the station. That's hardly any evidence that Gardai don't give a sh1t about males as you claimed originally. It's just an indication that your local Gardai aren't very good at their job."

I directly addressed your reason for not pursuing it and you say I'm not listening.

So to get back to your original point that Gardai "don't give a sh1t about males", do you think that's a true statement or a reflection of the attitude of a rubbish Garda in your local station?

Well considering I reported an attack and was blamed yes I do think they dont care about us, but we're gonna go around in circles here.

based on a poster's experience here that if I was to report my wife for domestic abuse, the guards would take me away they sound like muppets , I wouldn't have much confidence in them in this area

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

silverharp wrote: »
    based on a poster's experience here that if I was to report my wife for domestic abuse, the guards would take me away they sound like muppets , I wouldn't have much confidence in them in this area

This happened to someone I know. She repeatedly would hit him and was abusive on all accounts. The Gardai were called one day and he was taken away. The Gardai admitted to him it was obvious she was the agressor but procedure dictated etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/i-dont-know-if-i-can-raise-a-good-man_us_5a09c7cae4b0bc648a0cae52

Nuggets like

It goes on and on

Very creepy and unnerving

Scary that a weirdo like that is a mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Nuggets like

It goes on and on
    Am I right in saying she doesn't think she can raise a son, who isn't a rapist? If so, then her child should be taken off her.
    I figured, was make sure he never raped anybody, and I’d be OK. These days, that seems like a pretty tall order.

BTW, has there many male #metoo victims who had to give sexual favours to women in power in Hollywood?

• Advertisement

havnt read through properly yet, but the headline alone makes me think this chick wont be fully self aware, second half of the article might have some merit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/family/behind-rise-childless-women-40s-experience-men/

DSneR1FXcAIaGbV.jpg

I always thought I’d have children. Growing up in a family of four, it was simply one of those assumptions I made, in the same way as I assumed my older sister would always be able to draw better than me (she can) and our pet cat would be around forever (he wasn’t).

But it hasn’t turned out like that. I’m now in my late-30s, divorced, single, and the pitter-patter of tiny feet is not to be heard in the hallway. Not least because I don’t have a hallway, and live in a flat in north London.

My professional life is on track. At around the same time I was busily assuming I’d have children, I also nurtured ambitions to be an author and journalist. I’ve managed that. The procreation has been trickier.

I’m not alone: a recently published international league table has found that a fifth of British women are childless in their early 40s – a figure exceeded only by Spain and Austria. The rate of childlessness among UK women is increasing sharply and is up by almost 50 per cent since the mid-1990s.

What lies behind this trend? From my own experience, I think it comes down to two things. The first is that the men I’ve been in relationships with either haven’t been ready or willing to become fathers. That says a lot about the conspicuous failure of my own judgement. But it also speaks to a society that enables men to waft around attempting to find themselves and establish their careers through their 30s while women have to balance job progression with the ticking of a biological clock. (Oh, you didn’t realise women also want to spend time focusing on their career? Yeah. They do. It’s just they’ve had to do it at the same time as everything else.)

The second factor is that, at school, the minimal sex education I was subjected to was entirely focused on the terrors of accidental pregnancy. It was repeatedly drummed into us that contraception was absolutely necessary in order to avoid ruining our lives by allowing a feckless man to impregnate us before we were ready.

I spent much of my 20s fervently avoiding pregnancy as if it were a communicable disease. I went on the pill at 19 and didn’t come off it for 14 years. No-one told me that was a bad idea. No GP informed me of what it might mean for my fertility. I simply embraced the freedom that came with it.

I don’t know if being on the pill for that long contributed to my difficulties in getting pregnant, but I suspect it can’t have helped. After two years of fruitless trying, I had two cycles of (unsuccessful) IVF. Several months later, I got pregnant naturally only to miscarry at three months. Since then, I’ve frozen my eggs in an attempt to take out some sort of insurance policy against the future, but most of the science tells us that’s a process more likely to fail than succeed.

I still hope to be a mother one day, but I’m aware it might not happen - at least not in a conventional biological sense. It’s not because I’ve chosen this or because I’m the career-obsessed harpy of popular imagination; it’s simply the way things have happened.

It would be great if sex education at school could focus on the uncertainty of fertility as well as pregnancy prevention. Most importantly, boys should be taught this too.

LOL. I'm a bachelor in my 40s. I've never thought about blaming women for that. I always figured it was just the way things worked out because of life choices, and my own hangups. Nice to know I can blame the other gender for being single.

" spent much of my 20s fervently avoiding pregnancy as if it were a communicable disease"

Brilliant! It's not as if we avoided it because having a kid would have destroyed the lifestyle we wanted at that time...?

Or that she perhaps chose men to have relationships with who weren't looking for kids/marriage, but that's somehow the fault of the men she picked, even though she herself wished to avoid pregnancy? Seems like she's at cross-purposes with herself within the same article.

Is personal responsibility for your life choices really so unfashionable now?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why doesn't she take responsibility for her own poor life choices instead of trying to pin the blame on others.

She also seems to be ticked off at the fact that men don't lose their reproductive abilities? As if men have a say in the matter in the first place?

What a truly bizarre thing to be upset about.

maybe
    The fact is for the moment you can't argue with biology and men can have their cake and eat it for longer. It's not a "social construct". IVF can extend it somewhat, if it works and there's no guarantee, but women have a shorter window to start a family and that window is starting to close quite early, like around 30. Not just on the biological, but on the practical too. So you're 30. You have to find a man who's worth starting a family with. Unless you get lucky and then rush headlong to the altar that's going to take time and 35 starts looming. Not easy. Still though plenty of women and men seem to be able to to start families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Reminds me of that video i saw a while ago of one of the original feminist now in her old age regretting life choices as she was alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

"But it also speaks to a society that enables men to waft around attempting to find themselves and establish their careers through their 30s while women have to balance job progression with the ticking of a biological clock."

Jesus wept.

I never wafted around. I committed and took on financial responsibility while my partner exercised her biological urge to have children. It ain't pretty when it falls apart. Society has never 'enabled' me to waft around, and it sure isn't kind to men that have the temerity to break with a partner.

My advice to men in their 30's is take your time and keep on wafting...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Wibbs wrote: »
    The fact is for the moment you can't argue with biology and men can have their cake and eat it for longer. It's not a "social construct". IVF can extend it somewhat, if it works and there's no guarantee, but women have a shorter window to start a family and that window is starting to close quite early, like around 30. Not just on the biological, but on the practical too. So you're 30. You have to find a man who's worth starting a family with. Unless you get lucky and then rush headlong to the altar that's going to take time and 35 starts looming. Not easy. Still though plenty of women and men seem to be able to to start families.

I do feel sorry for women with regards that. I was thinking about that recently and yes 30 is probably the time to meet someone that you will eventually have kids with and not rush into it too quickly.

Men though still have limitations but not as severe. Firstly our sperm activity and count will drop as we get older reducing the chances of conception. Secondly and perhaps a bigger thing is finding a women young enough to have kids with you. Outside of the crazy world of the rich and famous I would say most men over the age of 50 would have trouble meeting a woman young enough to have kids.

I do feel sorry for women with regards that. I was thinking about that recently and yes 30 is probably the time to meet someone that you will eventually have kids with and not rush into it too quickly.

Men though still have limitations but not as severe. Firstly our sperm activity and count will drop as we get older reducing the chances of conception. Secondly and perhaps a bigger thing is finding a women young enough to have kids with you. Outside of the crazy world of the rich and famous I would say most men over the age of 50 would have trouble meeting a woman young enough to have kids.

Having kids is a young mans game, 50 is too old frankly. Even 40 is pushing it , 1 in energy terms and 2 it means having the financial pressure to bat perfectly into your 60's.

Outside of the crazy world of the rich and famous I would say most men over the age of 50 would have trouble meeting a woman young enough to have kids.

It really depends on where you're living, and the culture regarding age & wealth. I know a fair number of men who in their late 40s (and mid-50s) moved to Asia (China, Thailand, etc), and married a woman younger than themselves. The culture there is more forgiving to an age difference. [I also have friends with similar situations living in Eastern Europe/Russia]

It's only when the guy moves back to the West with his missus that it all goes badly. But those who stay living in Asia generally manage to have successful marriages (having children) without issues like divorce. There is, of course, the trade-off of whether she's with you out of love or your ability to provide for her... but TBH at this stage, I don't see much of a problem with it anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Cyclepath wrote: »
    My advice to men in their 30's is take your time and keep on wafting...

I'm 30. Still waiting alas...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I'm 30. Still waiting alas...

I waited in my 30s too. I'm in my 40s now, happily single, and not waiting. I now figure I'll marry in my 50s. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement