Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Mister R wrote: »
    Another one that regularly happened when I lived in NZ was sexist nightclub admittance policies. You know the whole free drinks/shots for the gals. Most NZ clubs didn't have cover so it didn't matter but I remember trying to get a free shot on my birthday at one of these "free shots for the girls" places and was obviously told no but pointed out the ridiculousness of such a policy, which I knew would happen. In fairness the promo girl at the door agreed with me that it was stupid policy.

In a some NZ clubs the dancefloor is on two levels and one club in particular didn't allow any men on the platform area, it was so weird. Another one down the street just considered it the higher part of the dancefloor but one club in particular would have bouncers tell every guy to get down.

Females also got free strip club entry while the guys paid $20 :D The one night I was at one my 2 female friends were the only female patrons though so I get it :D

Where I am there traditionally female activities like ballet and art that offer free classes to males to attract more males. Would you find that sexist too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

And any feminists worth their salt would object to the "Freebies for the ladies" crap.
    py2006 wrote: »
    Ehhhhh, seriously take your agenda to tLL
    There is no agenda. I am only asking a question. Questioning and discussing things isn't necessarily an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

py2006 wrote: »
    That reminds me, I remember getting into a conversation with a woman down my local about the whole...'free drink for women', 'women in free after 11pm' etc

when I pointed out that if it was the other way around it would not be allowed and the feminists among us would probably start a war I was told that I have 'issues' and that she 'feels sorry for me' and that I 'hate women'.

Seriously, you cant win.

I'm 22 and all my female friends agree those policies are sexist. I dunno if its an age thing but I think younger women are more understanding actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What's with referring to women as "females" by the way?

Ironic given your username:D

The idea is that if you can get the women in then the men will follow. It is a fairly sound plan too if you ignore the obvious injustice of it. Having said that I don't think I have seen that in Ireland for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Mister R wrote: »
    Well girl friends sounds like a relationship and saying "my 2 women friends" sounds odd to me.
    No I'm talking about "female" or "females" as a noun, not as an adjective.

In fairness, maybe it's just used as a collective for "Women and girls".

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ironic given your username:D

The idea is that if you can get the women in then the men will follow. It is a fairly sound plan too if you ignore the obvious injustice of it. Having said that I don't think I have seen that in Ireland for a long time

Its quite rare here, I dunno if that is cause it is technically illegal going by EU laws or the fact they know the women will just pay anyway :D I think its still common in the UK and in NZ it was pretty common, not everywhere but a good few places.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would still think it is the case that girls can access the better clubs more easily than the guys in that bouncers are more likely to stop a group of guys than a group of girls.
    Not sure of the legalities of the girls go free or free shots.
    UK is EU too so if it illegal here it is there

Yes but I think they just disobey the law more. Also our clubs don't really need offers to get the crowds, maybe some but the popular ones no.

Wikipedia says some US states like California has ruled those freebies and offers illegal. So maybe the EU is the same.

The bouncer thing is ridiculous, loads of super drunk women get in but a group of guys with maybe one tipsy one is told "Sorry not tonight" I remember being told to have a "chat" with the head bouncer one night and he looked at mean and turned to the other 2 and said "You two need to go on a course to figure out who is drunk and who isn't" I waltzed in with a grin then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Originally Posted by Femme_Fatale viewpost.gif
    Can people not ask what's meant? It is quite baffling to say hitting on someone is sexism. Is it too much to ask someone not to be so hostile to the opposite gender when describing an experience of sexism also? Because it's pretty blatant in that post.

I agree with the above. But apparently it's the highest sexism to ask if what was experienced was actually sexism, and, apparently, that opposite gender thing is only noticed when it's men complaining. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Where I am there traditionally female activities like ballet and art that offer free classes to males to attract more males. Would you find that sexist too?
    Depends on where you draw the line on the amoral efficiency of capitalism.

Things like higher car insurance costs for males and higher medical insurance for females is tolerated in many Western countries, although it's pretty clearly sexist. However, it's probably tolerated because it's based upon the financial bottom line rather than some sort of irrational prejudice.

Then again, employment discrimination against women of child baring age is also based upon the financial bottom line too - yet as a society we deem that as crossing the line.
    In fairness, maybe it's just used as a collective for "Women and girls".
    Pretty much, IMHO.

<mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

No
    awec wrote: »
    I am getting pretty tired of deleting posts and editing posts in this thread. If this continues then this thread won't survive for much longer.

The reason we don't allow questioning of someone's experiences is because it without fail drags the thread off topic and in to an area it doesn't need to be.

And if you report a post, don't reply to it in the thread.

then don't let people cal non sexist things sexist or imaginary things like female privilege real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    then don't let people cal non sexist things sexist or imaginary things like female privilege real

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

This just occurred to me today. I was watching some UK Police camera show thing. Basically like COPS but in the UK. I watched a good six episodes of it.

Every time the police approach a group of 'suspects' who need to be apprehended they floor the blokes. Grab them, arm around neck, on the deck, knee into back, bend arms, cuffs on tight etc.

Then they gingerly approach the ladies (can of larger holding chav) and tell her if she's quiet the cuffs will go on loose. :rolleyes:

I've seen similar kind of scenes in Dublin with the gardai. Sure it's mostly low lifes that are no stranger to the law but you wonder why the lads take a pounding (without showing any signs of resisting/running away) and the girls are ever so gently ushered into the back of their carriage .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

No
    Dean0088 wrote: »
    This just occurred to me today. I was watching some UK Police camera show thing. Basically like COPS but in the UK. I watched a good six episodes of it.

Every time the police approach a group of 'suspects' who need to be apprehended they floor the blokes. Grab them, arm around neck, on the deck, knee into back, bend arms, cuffs on tight etc.

Then they gingerly approach the ladies (can of larger holding chav) and tell her if she's quiet the cuffs will go on loose. :rolleyes:

I've seen similar kind of scenes in Dublin with the gardai. Sure it's mostly low lifes that are no stranger to the law but you wonder why the lads take a pounding (without showing any signs of resisting/running away) and the girls are ever so gently ushered into the back of their carriage .

It's all down to public perception, here's a comment I put in the "is it acceptable for women to hit men" thread, which perfectly highlights why women get treated with kid gloves by AGS. 3rd and 4th paragraph are relevant.
    source wrote: »
    I have two stories about being hit by a woman.

First, I was out with friends, and this woman came over and started chatting me up. I politely declined her advances by telling her I was married. This did nothing to deter her and she kept trying. In the end I told her straight up that I wasn't interested and to go away. So she slapped me hard across the face. A bouncer was no more than 10 feet away and laughed at it.

The second was in my former job as a Garda, I was breaking up a fight, and someone jumped on my back and put a forearm around my throat. I slammed the person up against a van that was behind me. It's only when she let go that I found out it was a woman.

I got no less than 12 complaints made against me for that, one by the woman and another 11 from bystanders who saw her jump on my back and try to choke me. If it wasn't for CCTV from a nearby pub that showed her attack me, I'd have been screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I've seen a good few episodes of that show and they have been fairly hands on with the women when they had to be. I think they react to the individual and to their gender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

siblers wrote: »
    I've seen a good few episodes of that show and they have been fairly hands on with the women when they had to be. I think they react to the individual and to their gender.

But they're 'hands on' with blokes almost all of the time.

Even things like putting on cuffs ridiculously tight (to the point of prisoner screaming out in pain) yet with women they put em on like they're a charm bracelet or something. Often around the front too, as opposed to behind the back.

Kid gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭iptba

This reminds me of a handcuff policy that was highlighted I think by Kevin Myers around 10 years ago. Women invariably are not handcuffed in and around Irish courts.

The case that he highlighted as I recall was a woman who had just been convicted of some serious crime which involved physical violence. She wasn't handcuffed but an older man (maybe late 70s perhaps - not a particular threat or flight risk) was handcuffed, even though he was being charged with white collar crime.* One point I think he made, or at least I observed, was that when one sees somebody in handcuffs around courts, one assumes they're up for a serious charge, or have been convicted of one, and that this person might be a danger to others. Similarly, if somebody isn't wearing handcuffs, the impression given is that this person isn't up for a serious crime, or has not been convicted of one, and that person isn't a danger to others. It was confirmed that it was an official or unofficial policy not to handcuff women, as I recall.

* Note: my point isn't about the length of sentences for white collar crime. But the woman seemed much more likely to be a flight risk than the elderly man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Found this article, er, interesting.

Just going to leave this quote here.
    I'm not sure about that, nor about another poster's suggestion to "castrate him" (a tad extreme perhaps).
    She mentioned a blog called Men Taking Up too much space on a train. http://mentakingup2muchspaceonthetrain.tumblr.com

I'm sorry, but isn't there uproar, as there should be, whenever a blog like this shows pictures of women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

She mentioned a blog called Men Taking Up too much space on a train. http://mentakingup2muchspaceonthetrain.tumblr.com

I'm sorry, but isn't there uproar, as there should be, whenever a blog like this shows pictures of women?

That blog is infuriating. Most of the pictures are taken on quiet trains, why wouldn't the men pictured take up all available space? Should they politely squah themselves into a tiny ball, 'just because'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

No

I spent a while looking at that site and some of the men are seriously taking the piss... bag on the seat beside him, one foot on each of the opposite seats at rush hour level of space hogging, not sure why you wouldn't just ask them to move... Many are sitting taking up large amounts of space but the space appears to be totally available at the time. Not rush hour, plenty of other seats I guess it might be considered a micro aggression or something, "how he sits is a personal affront to me!"

And finally there are the pictures of men that are sitting in frankly completely reasonable or unavoidable ways.
    Tall people sitting in spaces with very little leg room, big guys taking up more than one seats worth of space but rather than impinging on the seat beside them putting one leg out into the gangway...

TL:DR? Thete are plenty of examples of bad sitting here... but also too many examples if acceptable sitting being complained about.

What's next in confirmation bias / stereotype affirming websites?
    Women who take too long at the ATM/Cashier?
    Men who wear black and navy?
    Women parking cars badly?
    Women throwing things throwing badly?
    Men kicking cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

That and movethe****overbro (tumblr blog, theyre essentially the same thing but get very aggro towards anyone who questions them) are very creepy imo, there's pics posted up there that are nothing other than pure creepshots.
    Posted by people with nothing better to do than whinge about ridiculous things.

kiffer wrote: »
    I spent a while looking at that site and some of the men are seriously taking the piss... bag on the seat beside him, one foot on each of the opposite seats at rush hour level of space hogging, not sure why you wouldn't just ask them to move... Many are sitting taking up large amounts of space but the space appears to be totally available at the time. Not rush hour, plenty of other seats I guess it might be considered a micro aggression or something, "how he sits is a personal affront to me!"

If there were no other seats available I would have no hesitation is asking someone to move over and have done. Noone ever refuses. If there are available seats I have no problem taking an extra one to leave a bag on rather than holding it on my lap. As others have said - People with little to be moaning about.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Sauve wrote: »
    That blog is infuriating. Most of the pictures are taken on quiet trains, why wouldn't the men pictured take up all available space? Should they politely squah themselves into a tiny ball, 'just because'?

And to be honest you are more likely to see a woman take over a seat with bags than you are a man with the backpack in the pic and the seats are mostly empty too, why are they making a big deal of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

maybe
    Near empty train = pile your bags up beside you so you don't get some stranger sat right beside you when there's plenty of other empty seats around.

Busy train = just occupy the space provided by the seat and put your bags above you or under your feet.

Rush hour train = all bets are off in the hunt for somewhere to rest your weary ass.

Simple really, and no real need to bring the gender card into things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Had to laugh at the article and picture of the 5 men sitting with their legs crossed and the hand on the knee, theres a reason men, even though many are taller and have longer legs than most women dont cross the legs.

The balls tend to get in the way a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I sometimes wonder if the Onion has silently taken over the Guardian, it's at times difficult to tell them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

<mod snip>

Link does not work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

No
    There's a move the fu*k over sis feed on tmblr apparently started by a woman as a response to move the f**k over bro which does a good job of showing that taking up massive amounts of space is not a gender thing.

• Advertisement

It is the sort of thing that you could apply to whatever section of people you had a gripe against. I am sure given enough time I could come up with a similar page against every sex, race, age etc etc

Advertisement