Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

silverharp wrote: »
    DVvs9bvX0AENqMp.jpg:small

I'm a bit lost for words here, tbh. This just seems so stupid and self-defeating. It's like someone said to themselves "I see that the wackiest sjw types are doing something wacky over in the wacky USA. Let's try that here".

These people have zero sense of irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

backspin. wrote: »
    Its amazing the way this is becoming acceptable. Its the same with white. It seems perfectly acceptable to use 'white people' in a pejorative way. The double standards is pathetic. Aul Catherine would be having a fit if 'female' was used in the same way or black or Asian. Its a slippery slope when language like that gets normalized.

People should remember that if she ever comes looking for their vote.

Its identity politics 101 and it should be looked down upon. Its a pity the independents have to reach this level of gutter politics to stay relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

sure, why not, makes sense

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26802/harvard-university-bans-single-gender-clubs-unless-emily-zanotti
    Harvard University Bans Single-Gender Clubs — Unless They're Women-Only

Female-only clubs will be allowed to remain "gender-focused, but members of male-only clubs will be "slapped with sanctions."

Last year, Harvard University took the unprecedented step of banning on- and off-campus single-gender organizations. The ban targeted sororities and fraternities, but also "unrecognized single-gender social organizations" called "Finals Clubs" that served as gathering places for the school's legacy students.

In early February, after several rounds of appeals, the school finalized the ban — but, because of a campus-wide outcry from feminists, only leaders and members of "male-focused" single-gender clubs will face repercussions from Harvard's administration....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

How do they get away with it though? This is what I can't get. It's incredibly obvious gender bias.

Hopefully the wealthy past students who pledge money to the University start pulling money like they have done with similar items in other 3rd level places in the states.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    The facility I work in has a few machines that are nothing to do with us. Anyway, a woman was asking about a problem with one of them. I said that I'd overheard someone complaining about it and that was that. Cue a few hours later and she's got a piece of it in her hand with a screwdriver in the other. She asks me if unscrewing it will damage it. I reply that I don't know. I'm then met with "You're a man, you must know DIY". Yeah. I DIY in between soccerball matches and pints down at da boozer wiv me mates...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No
    How do they get away with it though? This is what I can't get. It's incredibly obvious gender bias.
    Well obviously you don't get it - your blinded by toxic male something, and you hate women - obviously. Why else would you be whining about a women only space?
    seesch :rolleyes:
    1. Women can't be sexist, therefore a women only places can not be sexist
    2. In order to combat institutional sexism, you need to create institutions where women can gather their thoughts without interference from men or the Patriarchy (you can't make an omelette...)
    3. Men just constantly interrupt and confuse with toxic male logic, and your post is a prime example of that
    4. something something internalised misogyny
    5. something something micro aggressions

</end sarcasm>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Kind of makes me feel sorry for young lads going to university these days.

They'd be better off just getting the head down and doing their work and spending the minimum amount of time possible on campus.

Don't interact with anyone and get your degree and then leave and never look back.

If you're going to date or make friends then just do that with people outside the campus.

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Kind of makes me feel sorry for young lads going to university these days.

They'd be better off just getting the head down and doing their work and spending the minimum amount of time possible on campus.

Don't interact with anyone and get your degree and then leave and never look back.

If you're going to date or make friends then just do that with people outside the campus.

on the plus side you can probably go through college and just blank all this stuff. you have always had the campus crazies but then the authorities and administration weren't part of it. With the Weinstein debacle (not Harvey) and some colleges seeing their numbers drop after SJW antics you would think they would be more careful.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Calhoun wrote: »
    Hopefully the wealthy past students who pledge money to the University start pulling money like they have done with similar items in other 3rd level places in the states.
    You'd have to imagine there'd be rather a large proportion of their donor base that would have been past members of the fraternities they're penalising? My knowledge of US Campus life is almost entirely based off pop culture but they wouldn't seem like the sort to be happy about their "brothers" being treated in such a fashion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

on the plus side you can probably go through college and just blank all this stuff. you have always had the campus crazies but then the authorities and administration weren't part of it. With the Weinstein debacle (not Harvey) and some colleges seeing their numbers drop after SJW antics you would think they would be more careful.

I think that it probably is happening to some extent. Lads just getting their head down and getting their degree before moving into a career.

Of course, this kind of behavior results in trends emerging over time. Trends like the kind of careers where the "head down, do the work" attitude is beneficial are becoming overwhelmingly male-dominated.

So that almost becomes it's own problem.

I think that kind of environment on campus would probably funnel male students towards courses and classes where they don't have to deal with campus politics and activism etc. This is more than likely going to be STEM courses.

At the same time I would imagine that female and non-binary students are attracted to courses like Gender Studies as they are increasingly able offer a viable career.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Might be a plan to move some of the soft science courses off campus.

In the States many of these Mickey Mouse 'Degrees' could be run as 2 year Diploma courses in Community Colleges.

This is a good one, while the articles is supposedly about society it general talks about men. Chivalry would also be something that is linked to men.

https://www.independent.ie/life/family/mothers-babies/chivalrys-not-dead-its-just-distracted-what-happened-when-i-put-my-baby-on-board-badge-to-the-test-36599951.html

Quite a mixed message men are getting from the media on what they are expected to be.

This is a good one, while the articles is supposedly about society it general talks about men. Chivalry would also be something that is linked to men.

https://www.independent.ie/life/family/mothers-babies/chivalrys-not-dead-its-just-distracted-what-happened-when-i-put-my-baby-on-board-badge-to-the-test-36599951.html

Quite a mixed message men are getting from the media on what they are expected to be.

man with kindle, man had to be eyeballed out of his seat. there are as many women on trains as men but she doesnt mention them once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I see cosmo and buzz feed have their double standards articles with bulges of the olmpics articles and objectifying men

I find this interesting because I would always stand up to allow a pregnant woman or woman with young children to sit down. Never needed a badge to tell me what to do (hadn't even heard of it until today). Still, I've had multiple experiences where I stood up to let them sit down, and another woman will take the seat without saying a word. No point saying anything to her either.

I was raised to be polite. I genuinely love all the mannerisms that go with being a gentleman... but for the most part, I've started only extending it to women I know personally. Holding open a door for a woman can receive all manner of responses from dirty looks, grateful nods, to the woman actually grabbing the door and pushing you out. It's the same with letting people go ahead in a queue or offering to help any stranger to do anything. Last week at the end of a date, I held my dates coat for her to put on, and a complete stranger felt the need to tell me I was being patronising. :rolleyes: My own date was mortified afterward at the womans reaction but.. didn't speak out against it. The range of reactions to any gesture of courtesy or politeness is incredible.

The problem is that society hasn't told us where we are with helping others. Some women seem to look at any man as a possible threat, and any offer to help (no matter how it's phrased) is treated in an uncomfortable manner. At the same time, you get articles like the above, which seem to suggest that men should be offering to help women. I never see articles suggesting that women should be helping other women, and yet, it's very rare that I see it happening except amongst already established friends.

I really wish that women, womens rights movements, and the media would hold a forum, and decide what was allowed, or encouraged behavior. Rather than this bizarre huge range of possible reactions from the slightly positive to the extremely negative. At least then, men could respond and deal with this bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I really wish that women, womens rights movements, and the media would hold a forum, and decide what was allowed, or encouraged behavior. Rather than this bizarre huge range of possible reactions from the slightly positive to the extremely negative. At least then, men could respond and deal with this bull****.

Sorry Klaz but no forum of women, feminists and media are going to decide how i behave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I have a minor and sort of funny one. I've been going in and out of a large institution lately where there is almost always a queue of 1-5 people waiting to step into the revolving door. I noticed that with certain women on the other side the door always seemed to feel heavier and I realised some women put their hand on the revolving door and act like they are pushing it but don't actually do anything. I decided to have a little experiment and for a while so I always pretend to push the door. It has resulted in a few funny situations of both of us holding the bar on the door but the door but the door not revolving and the women on the other side giving me death glares for not pushing either. :pac:

It's all anecdotal evidence but so far every man opposite me pushes the revolving door and most women do but somewhere between 10-20% of women pretend to push it but actually don't. A female friend tried the same and they always push when it is a female on both sides.

Sorry Klaz but no forum of women, feminists and media are going to decide how i behave.

Aren't they already moving towards that though? In little skips and jumps, by determining all the perceived negative behaviors of men...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Aren't they already moving towards that though? In little skips and jumps, by determining all the perceived negative behaviors of men...?

They are attempting to. But men should take little notice and do their own thing anyway. Hold doors open if you want, offer your honest opinion on anything you want. Most women aren't feminists. Don't let the media and a small number of radical feminist set the tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

To backspin:

A forum of women and feminists will determine how you behave because those people, despite your wishes, have voting power and can get you put in jail if they don't like your behavior. Sorry to break it to you.

Also, your advice on offering an honest opinion is amusing. I once worked with a man who did just that and he was perpetually single. He just coudn't understand why....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No
    They are attempting to. But men should take little notice and do their own thing anyway. Hold doors open if you want, offer your honest opinion on anything you want. Most women aren't feminists. Don't let the media and a small number of radical feminist set the tone.
    This.
    Exactly this.
    In the real world, you get far far more kudos and respect for being yourself. Never mind the internet bollixology (sure make sure it doesn't seep outside the online world, sure rally against it online and try to make a better online world for everyone but...) in the real world 99.9% of people are just trying to get on with their day, and being nice makes that easier for everyone. If 0.01% gets there knickers in a twist because you held a door - that's their problem not yours. In fact, the person behind them is most probably looking at you as if to say - whats's their ****ing problem!?!

okie dokie. Will do.

The thing is though who teaches men what they should and shouldnt do? Not all have good father figures or role models. My point by linking it overall is that there are mixed messages out there, especially for young

Women shouldnt be surprised when some men don't adhere to same standards as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The UL Postgraduate Open Evening will be held in the UL Pavilion on Thursday the 22nd February from 5.30pm -7.30pm.

UL invites you to meet Faculty and current postgraduates to learn more about the opportunities that await you for 2018 and beyond - including newly launched programmes such as the MSc in Human Nutrition & Dietetics.

Meet UL Graduate of Aeronautical Engineering Dr Norah Patten to chat engineering and her ambition to become the first Irish woman in space.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

YFlyer wrote: »
    The UL Postgraduate Open Evening will be held in the UL Pavilion on Thursday the 22nd February from 5.30pm -7.30pm.

UL invites you to meet Faculty and current postgraduates to learn more about the opportunities that await you for 2018 and beyond - including newly launched programmes such as the MSc in Human Nutrition & Dietetics.

Meet UL Graduate of Aeronautical Engineering Dr Norah Patten to chat engineering and her ambition to become the first Irish woman in space.

What am I missing here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What am I missing here?

Same thought it was just me, unless the email was an invite to women only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Shouldn't it be first Irish person? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

YFlyer wrote: »
    Shouldn't it be first Irish person? ;)

Nah, Colm Meaney has been working in space for years, trekking all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

razorblunt wrote: »
    Nah, Colm Meaney has been working in space for years, trekking all over the place.

Plus after Michael Collins beat the brits he helped 2 lads land on the moon in 1969.

• Advertisement

there might be a point , if the engineer was a man would they say wants to be the first Irish man in space or Irish person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭The Specialist

NI24 wrote: »
    To backspin:

A forum of women and feminists will determine how you behave because those people, despite your wishes, have voting power and can get you put in jail if they don't like your behavior. Sorry to break it to you.

Also, your advice on offering an honest opinion is amusing. I once worked with a man who did just that and he was perpetually single. He just coudn't understand why....

Strange post - no man with an ounce of self respect for themselves is going to be told "how to behave" by any group of women or feminists.

And men should absolutely give their honest opinions without censoring themselves - why wouldn't they? In case some fragile little mind gets offended? **** out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

NI24 wrote: »

Weird post.

In Ireland, we have a parliamentary republic, where men and women elect a government to pass laws.

Feminists are free to get in line on the way to the ballot box, the same as everyone else.

Really? Who elected this feminazi then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivana_Bacik

Oh right, the public rejected her 3 times yet she still gets over 75k a year of taxpayers money despite being a proven misandrist.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Really? Who elected this feminazi then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivana_Bacik

Oh right, the public rejected her 3 times yet she still gets over 75k a year of taxpayers money despite being a proven misandrist.

she teaches feminism, that is worse than I remember :D

Bacik is elected to Seanad Eireann by graduates of Trinity College.

But I accept that Seanad Eireann is in need of reform or removal, especially in relation to the election of senators by the universities.

My mistake, I'd remembered her as being a Taoiseach's appointment though I think I may have confused that aspect of her history with Maria Corrigan.

I'd try to make a comment about it making you think less of Trinity graduates that they elected her, but when Ronan ****ing Mullen represents the NUI, which I'm a graduate of myself, I'm not really in a position to do so!

Bacik is a vile individual she has failed to be elected as the people see her jumping constituency on the off chance of getting elected.

If I remember correctly she was to vote a certain way when she was su president in TCD I believe it was a candidate they were pushing for something and she betrayed her voters by voting for another candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

Bacik is a vile individual she has failed to be elected as the people see her jumping constituency on the off chance of getting elected.

If I remember correctly she was to vote a certain way when she was su president in TCD I believe it was a candidate they were pushing for something and she betrayed her voters by voting for another candidate.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivana_Bacik#University_politics
    Her term as president of Trinity College, Dublin (TCD) Students' Union ended prematurely when she resigned in 1990, after it was discovered that she had broken a mandate received from the Union membership, regarding voting for candidates at a Union of Students in Ireland conference. Despite 13 TCD representatives being mandated to vote for one candidate, Martin Whelan, a former TCD SU president, it transpired that candidate received only 12 votes, Bacik's vote instead being given to the feminist former UCD SU officer, Karen Quinlivan. A controversy erupted in the Students' Union and a subsequent internal investigation led to Bacik's resignation.

Sleepy wrote: »
    My mistake, I'd remembered her as being a Taoiseach's appointment though I think I may have confused that aspect of her history with Maria Corrigan.

I'd try to make a comment about it making you think less of Trinity graduates that they elected her, but when Ronan ****ing Mullen represents the NUI, which I'm a graduate of myself, I'm not really in a position to do so!

Absolutely. Ronan Mullen would make Bacik look good, by contrast.

Trinity Senators:
    https://www.tcd.ie/about/senators/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

We have a new "Equality, Inclusion and Diversity" campaign in my work - toilets are going gender neutral.

In explaining the "equality" they are espousing, the top comment was "but won't men using the toilets make them smelly ?"

Yay. Feminism. Wouldn't know true equality if it bit them!!!

We have a new "Equality, Inclusion and Diversity" campaign in my work - toilets are going gender neutral.

In explaining the "equality" they are espousing, the top comment was "but won't men using the toilets make them smelly ?"

Yay. Feminism. Wouldn't know true equality if it bit them!!!

the clearners at my place say the mens are always much cleaner than the womans and it shocks them what they see sometimes, I didn't ask for more details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    Some might remember when David Norris called her out regarding a womens only meeting in the Oireachtas she set up to discuss not jailing women.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70435321&postcount=156
    Quote:
    Senator Ivana Bacik:
    [..]
    This week, we are fortunate to receive a visit from Baroness Jean Corston from the British House of Lords who produced a very radical report last year on women in prison and who recommended, after a very thorough review, that prison places for women should essentially be abolished and that there should just be a small number of small detention units for women. Otherwise, alternative sanctions should be used. We could very much learn from the lessons of that report.

I am happy to say that Baroness Corston will be visiting Leinster House on Thursday. Deputy Mary O’Rourke and I are hosting a meeting with her for all women Members of the Oireachtas. I am sorry that we cannot invite any male colleagues interested in this issue to the briefing with Baroness Corston.

Senator David Norris: Why not?

Senator Ivana Bacik: I would be happy to meet them to discuss the issues at another time.

Equality only applies to women when it means they get all the good stuff. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

the clearners at my place say the mens are always much cleaner than the womans and it shocks them what they see sometimes, I didn't ask for more details

I wouldn't - I've heard some tales yuuuuukkk!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

I'm no expert on women's toilets but I've heard some women like to hover rather than sit down properly and that this can cause problems.

As a former night-porter who's duties included cleaning the bathrooms in the bar, the ladies used to take at least twice as long to clean as the gents. I'm sure it's #notallwomen but it would seem at least a significant minority of them are truly disgusting creatures when it comes to the use of public bathrooms.

Personally I don't care about gender neutral toilets, I only am concerned about losing urinals.

If they can work a gender neutral solution where I can piss fast I'm down with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Personally I don't care about gender neutral toilets, I only am concerned about losing urinals.

If they can work a gender neutral solution where I can piss fast I'm down with that.

I was in UCC this week and, looking for a toilet, found one with this kind of sign on the door:

284346_146_news_hub_230498_677x251.jpg

I went in to find it was a single unit toilet obviously equipped and set up for disabled people.

So UCC, to get with the programme of providing gender neutral toilets, are doing it by limiting disabled people's access to toilets originally intended solely for their needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I was in UCC this week and, looking for a toilet, found one with this kind of sign on the door...So UCC, to get with the programme of providing gender neutral toilets, are doing it by limiting disabled people's access to toilets originally intended solely for their needs.

But they got to feel that they were part of an exotic US news story; the "toilet wars" and all that. They hung up a fancy new sign with a half skirt-half trousers icon on it! That is the important thing here lets not forget; wheelchair users are old hat!
    Wasn't that amazing fellow Obama who used to be the US president mixed up in it so maybe some of the "coolness" will rub off :pac:

• Advertisement

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I was in UCC this week and, looking for a toilet, found one with this kind of sign on the door:

284346_146_news_hub_230498_677x251.jpg

I went in to find it was a single unit toilet obviously equipped and set up for disabled people.

So UCC, to get with the programme of providing gender neutral toilets, are doing it by limiting disabled people's access to toilets originally intended solely for their needs.

Going too be fairly bad lol, every toilet I go into for men has piss from one end of it to the other, skid marks like no one's business and some bang of ****e.

Advertisement