Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Going too be fairly bad lol, every toilet I go into for men has piss from one end of it to the other, skid marks like no one's business and some bang of ****e.

I think they will want to go back to men and women toilets after a few years of having piss all over the toilet seat. Its truly disgusting but unfortunately as you say its the same in every mens toilet up and down the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Sleepy wrote: »
    My mistake, I'd remembered her as being a Taoiseach's appointment though I think I may have confused that aspect of her history with Maria Corrigan.

I'd try to make a comment about it making you think less of Trinity graduates that they elected her, but when Ronan ****ing Mullen represents the NUI, which I'm a graduate of myself, I'm not really in a position to do so!

Also, I’m a Trinity grad and I have never and probably will never vote in a Seanad election and I reckon I’m the norm there. Her election says very little about Trinity grads. Would you really have thought less of us if it wasn’t for the NUI thing? Surely common sense would tell you that very few of the college’s grads would bother voting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Also, I’m a Trinity grad and I have never and probably will never vote in a Seanad election and I reckon I’m the norm there. Her election says very little about Trinity grads. Would you really have thought less of us if it wasn’t for the NUI thing? Surely common sense would tell you that very few of the college’s grads would bother voting?

Pretty much the norm I’d expect, I’m a UCD grad and would be similar

Tempted to register and vote though to stop dopes like Mullen getting in

Also tempted to do some Trinity postgrad just so I can vote to stop dopes like Bacik getting in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It was just a bit of inter-varsity slagging, a tongue in cheek comment aimed at Trinity from an NUI grad ;)

I'd be the exact same as tritium tbh. I'd never registered as part of the NUI panel until I heard Ronan Mullen was elected to represent us. Hopefully there'll be a rather more sensible campaign next time round. It seems that so many people decided to run against him, they split the vote seven ways from Sunday and gifted him the top of the poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

regarding Bacik , what specifically makes her misandric?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No
    silverharp wrote: »
    Interesting question.
    And I suppose it highlights how quick people are to jump to the accusation of misogyny or misandry. Hopefully people will reflect on this question when either label is used next.

Misandrist: "a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against men"

As we do not actually know what really goes on in her head, what she does or does not hate, it's difficult to determine specifically what she dislikes or despises. However, if we judge her by her actions, and her commentary it's reasonably safe to claim that shes "strongly prejudiced against men". As mentioned earlier the "no men allowed" meeting to discuss the absolution of prison terms based on gender is a good example of such prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Zulu wrote: »
    Interesting question.
    And I suppose it highlights how quick people are to jump to the accusation of misogyny or misandry. Hopefully people will reflect on this question when either label is used next.

Misandrist: "a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against men"

As we do not actually know what really goes on in her head, what she does or does not hate, it's difficult to determine specifically what she dislikes or despises. However, if we judge her by her actions, and her commentary it's reasonably safe to claim that shes "strongly prejudiced against men". As mentioned earlier the "no men allowed" meeting to discuss the absolution of prison terms based on gender is a good example of such prejudice.

Its the brass neck that always gets to me. The fact that they have no issue whatsoever with excluding men but are hopping mad if its the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

silverharp wrote: »
    For me, it's her politics. She's the strongest political proponent in Ireland of one law for men and another for women. Perhaps I'm wrong and her sexism isn't driven by misandry but it's hard to find another reason.

For me, it's her politics. She's the strongest political proponent in Ireland of one law for men and another for women. Perhaps I'm wrong and her sexism isn't driven by misandry but it's hard to find another reason.

she hasn't been on my radar, I only remember her as a trendy leftie open borders type.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No
    Perhaps I'm wrong and her sexism isn't driven by misandry but it's hard to find another reason.
    I very much doubt you are wrong but it's always a tricky one to prove categorically. Naturally she'd claim that she loves her partner, who is a man I believe. "But I've a friend who's black!"

She clearly is not an egalitarian; she clearly does not seek equality between the sexes. And it's blatant how she seek to promote women over men, which to me is counter-productive. But then again, shes the one on the cushie government pension, and I'm the one pinned to the mast with lifelong loan repayments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Anyone see Mary Berry last night with the young male chef ?

Saying to him "I love a bit of sauce"; "it's been a long time since I had a young man on my knees before me" and saying she'd like to be in a sauna with him whipping him with tree branches!!!

Now I don't think that in and of itself is a problem but can you imagine if Gregg Wallace off Masterchef said it to a female ???

He'd be fired in seconds. To me that is inequality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Anyone see Mary Berry last night with the young male chef ?

Saying to him "I love a bit of sauce"; "it's been a long time since I had a young man on my knees before me" and saying she'd like to be in a sauna with him whipping him with tree branches!!!

Now I don't think that in and of itself is a problem but can you imagine if Gregg Wallace off Masterchef said it to a female ???

He'd be fired in seconds. To me that is inequality.

Write a complaint to BAI that it was too sexualised and made you uncomfortable or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Interestingly, (I will probably be slapped for this), how many women did you see shoveling snow out of driveways in the last few days. On my estate it was ALL men. I am sure women had to do it elsewhere, but where I am it was all men.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

py2006 wrote: »
    Interestingly, (I will probably be slapped for this), how many women did you see shoveling snow out of driveways in the last few days. On my estate it was ALL men. I am sure women had to do it elsewhere, but where I am it was all men.

I saw loads of women out shovelling in driveways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I did my entire driveway so himself could get out. I saw my neighbour and her daughter doing it today and an older woman yesterday as well as a far few men. But does it matter? He was making dinner while I was out doing the drive, everyone does their bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Interestingly, (I will probably be slapped for this), how many women did you see shoveling snow out of driveways in the last few days.
    On my road it was almost exactly 50/50.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

So basically, shut up Py! lol :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mine was all men (of the 5 I saw).
    My wife wanted to do it though but I wouldn't let her :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Your road needs some diversity training. Pronto! :p

mzungu wrote: »
    Your road needs some diversity training. Pronto! :p

Well we had our fair share of lesbian trans midget nuns shovelling snow but we definitely needed more straight white women or at least those that identify as such...

• Advertisement

at least rte said it would take alot of manpower to clear the snow in wexford ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I’m sure the men will survive this awful trauma the wicked women inflicted on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

PucaMama wrote: »
    I’m sure the men will survive this awful trauma the wicked women inflicted on them.

Consider yourself slapped py. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    PucaMama wrote: »

Consider yourself slapped py. ;)
    I’m not entirely serious myself I’d hardly slap him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Seen a few people on fb saying "why aren't the men out shoveling"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    PY be careful what you ask for. You could have had feminist snow ploughing Swedish style. It didn't work out quite as planned according to thelocal.se
    Stockholm’s municipal government, a coalition of the Social Democrats and the Green Party, brought in gender equal snow cleaning last year, pledging to make moving around the city on icy winter days just as safe for women as it is for men.

Men are statistically more likely to be drivers, while women are more likely to use pavements, cycle paths, and public transport.

But on Thursday and Friday, the policy came under renewed criticism after the city was thrown into chaos by the unusually heavy snow dump, with buses and trains cancelled, and major motorways blocked.

This was the result.

I don't think we did too bad in comparison.

Finally fair play to everyone (male, female, whateveryou'rehavingyourself :pac:) who went out and helped clear footpaths.

Or are they saying they HAVE to make driving conditions EASIER for women?

Surely it was dangerous regardless of your gender. Or am I reading it wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I think that means that they put more resources into clearing pavements, cycle paths at the expense of roads due to gender equality

This coupled with unusually heavy snow lead to traffic chaos

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I think that means that they put more resources into clearing pavements, cycle paths at the expense of roads due to gender equality

This coupled with unusually heavy snow lead to traffic chaos

Hmm I understand the need for extra resources but not sure why they used gender equality as the reasoning.

• Advertisement

From my balcony, maybe 60/40 men/women?

It was me who kept our house running in the snow. I did all the trudging through the snow to the shop to get supplies and all the cooking. Hubs was completely clueless about how much supplies we needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Great article today about the impact women have on the fishing industry - catching seafood primarily.

10% female participation in the industry, yet a "well done", NO call for more representation!

Odd that eh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Great article today about the impact women have on the fishing industry - catching seafood primarily.

10% female participation in the industry, yet a "well done", NO call for more representation!

Odd that eh ?

It's no fish ye're buying, it's men's lives.
    Sir Walter Scott, "The Antiquary" (1816)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hmm I understand the need for extra resources but not sure why they used gender equality as the reasoning.

They came up with some statistic stating that women are more likely to use public trans or walk to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No
    "Akureyri Fire Brigade recently called for applications for two temporary staff positions for the summer, and only women could apply."

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2018/0309/946308-iceland-firefighters/

Seems slightly discriminatory...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

"Akureyri Fire Brigade recently called for applications for two temporary staff positions for the summer, and only women could apply."

If your house was burning down and you were in it waiting to be rescued, would you prefer a gender-balanced fire brigade, or one whose members had been appointed strictly on merit and suitability, regardless of gender?

• Advertisement

It is. They seem to have used a loophole though. Iceland is a tad bonkers in some regards. That whole Naming Commission that was formed to decide what names you can call your children.

kind of amusing LBC interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All we have to do is look at Katy Perry stunt for the double standards and hypocrisy with Me too

All we have to do is look at Katy Perry stunt for the double standards and hypocrisy with Me too

Which was......??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Which was......??

Think he's referring to her 'stealing a kiss'/tricking some lad into a kiss on some show.. but you already knew that.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    .. but you already knew that.

Did I?
    I am aware of Katy Perry to the extent that she had a song called Roar a few years ago and was (is?) married to Russell Brand. Otherwise I know nothing about her. Not sure why you think everyone would be following her career tbh.

Did I?
    I am aware of Katy Perry to the extent that she had a song called Roar a few years ago and was (is?) married to Russell Brand. Otherwise I know nothing about her. Not sure why you think everyone would be following her career tbh.

Everyone?! Hardly. You know as much as me about her, I'm aware of the what the poster was referring to (like the millions of others) through social media. Zero research, zero following. Just stumbled upon a popular story.

Did I?

I 'heard' you the first time :confused:

Everyone?! Hardly. You know as much as me about her, I'm aware of the what the poster was referring to (like the millions of others) through social media. Zero research, zero following. Just stumbled upon a popular story.

Fair enough. You know better than me what I know and don't.

Fair enough. You know better than me what I know and don't.

Yep, that's exactly what I said. You posted something which strongly looked like feigned ignorance of the incident/point the poster was making, hence I commented alluding to this. Now that you know what the incident is, any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yep, that's exactly what I said. You posted something which strongly looked like feigned ignorance of the incident/point the poster was making, hence I commented alluding to this. Now that you know what the incident is, any thoughts?

To be fair, there aren't too many care to keep up with the latest celebrity goings-on in la-la land, first I heard of it was on here and then I read the guy himself said he wasn't sexually harassed -

Katy Perry did not sexually harass me with kiss, teenage TV singer says

What was actually more cringe worthy were the two judges on either side whooping and cheering at it -

Seems to be quite a few people getting annoyed about it on his behalf tbh. Double standards? There's quite a leap between that and Harvey Weirdstein in all fairness. They're not even in the same ball park.

All I have to say about the Katy Perry thing is that it makes a mountain out of a molehill. I think people are looking to be offended now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mzungu wrote: »
    All I have to say about the Katy Perry thing is that it makes a mountain out of a molehill. I think people are looking to be offended now.

Yea you can say that about most of the Me Too movement but you know if the genders was reversed with a male judge pressurising a female to kiss his cheek and then turn to kiss her lips, his career would be over and everyone calling for his head

To be fair, there aren't too many care to keep up with the latest celebrity goings-on in la-la land, first I heard of it was on here and then I read the guy himself said he wasn't sexually harassed -

Katy Perry did not sexually harass me with kiss, teenage TV singer says

What was actually more cringe worthy were the two judges on either side whooping and cheering at it -

Seems to be quite a few people getting annoyed about it on his behalf tbh. Double standards? There's quite a leap between that and Harvey Weirdstein in all fairness. They're not even in the same ball park.

I don't follow celebs myself, that was part of my point. I'm also not offended!

Careful now, Matt Damon was nearly lynched for suggesting there was a scale of these things :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm a manager in a female dominated operation. The few male staff I have do all the heavy lifting and frequently end up with strains up to and including hernias. We try to hire more men but of course this has to be done on the QT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement