Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The women don't play five sets because there's simply no way it can feasibly fit into the schedule, although it's also true that the women aren't exactly campaigning for best of five either. Also needs to be mentioned that at most of the other mixed events outside of the grand slams the men are paid more than the women, despite the fact that both play best of 3 and the same number of matches.

I support this thread but yours is not a good example to make your point.

Grand Slams in Tennis are the only real mixed events, Male and Female players will be on separate tours and play in different places

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

Grand Slams in Tennis are the only real mixed events, Male and Female players will be on separate tours and play in different places

Not strictly true, yes for a lot of the year they remain separate but there are a few events that both sexes are at same venue at same time such as Indian Wells and Miami. All are three set matches for equal prize money so maybe the Grand Slams should change all to, either three sets or five sets and end the current mishmash.

One interesting tournament is the China Open, both male and female events in same place and all best of three sets

Female winner earns $ 1,271,525
    Male winner earns $ 652,370

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_China_Open_(tennis)

kazamo wrote: »
    Not strictly true, yes for a lot of the year they remain separate but there are a few events that both sexes are at same venue at same time such as Indian Wells and Miami. All are three set matches for equal prize money so maybe the Grand Slams should change all to, either three sets or five sets and end the current mishmash.

One interesting tournament is the China Open, both male and female events in same place and all best of three sets

Female winner earns $ 1,271,525
    Male winner earns $ 652,370

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_China_Open_(tennis)

I was just going on how before Wimbledon the woman play in eastbourne and the men in the queens club thinking it was the same else where, for example the Canada open men would play in Toronto one year and Montreal the next with the woman playing in the other city

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm not saying every single parent household goes into gangs - but surely more than one role model (makes no odds to me whether it's M/M, F/F, whatever) is a good thing ?

But surely (and OT sorry) having children when still a child oneself is rarely to end well ?
    There were studies into this with ethnic gangs in LA where a staggering percentage of gang members come from broken homes.

Without a strong male presence in their lives these mere boys in many cases tend go look for it on the streets where they'll gravitate towards the older established gangsters in their neighbourhoods.

It's tragic really. A vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

silverharp wrote: »
    what is it with feminists and their bodily functions ? especially their attempt to turn it into art :( , a 4 year old would have more sense
    And class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ann Coulter gave a good interview on single parenthood. It is worth watching if only to witness the audience outrage on her quoting statistics. I will try and dig it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Commented today that if breastfeeding is a natural bodily function that everyone should do - and therefore should be publicly carried out (after the Kildare GAA story) - I argued masturbation should.

It's a natural bodily function and can have health benefits.

I'll let you guess the resident feminists' response!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Commented today that if breastfeeding is a natural bodily function that everyone should do - and therefore should be publicly carried out (after the Kildare GAA story) - I argued masturbation should.

Completely disagree on that! Breast feeding has a purpose for the baby while masturbation is all about pleasure.

I honestly cant even fathom why you would compare the 2 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No
    ....- I argued masturbation should.

...and everyone elses response.

What an utterly stupid argument to make and stance to take. :rolleyes:

Zulu wrote: »
    ...and everyone elses response.

What an utterly stupid argument to make and stance to take. :rolleyes:

We will have to agree to disagree on that. I'll let the reportable comment go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No
    We will have to agree to disagree on that. I'll let the reportable comment go.
    You're a gas man: "reportable"! :pac:

Go on will you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Ridiculous.

Zulu wrote: »
    You're a gas man: "reportable"! :pac:

Go on will you. :rolleyes:

Woman. And yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

What is wrong with you?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Ye know the drill folks. Attack the post not the poster.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ann Coulter gave a good interview on single parenthood. It is worth watching if only to witness the audience outrage on her quoting statistics. I will try and dig it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=166M75mSfKE

Ah jaysus she's another inflammatory one anyway, I wish she actually cited statistics instead of saying she was citing statistics.

I enjoy some of these sort of personalities but she doesn't have much like-able-ness. At least the other usual suspects come across as relatively intelligent when they're winding people up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Was it the same as you might expect from any reasonable person?

If you really want to compare like-with-like babies need to eat when they need to eat. If you want breastfeeding to happen entirely in private you're asking mothers to get up from wherever they are right now and move to somewhere they can comfortably breastfeed without anybody having to see a breast. It's reasonable to ask if that's really necessary. We also cannot reasonably expect babies to just wait and control their hunger

There's no time pressure for masturbation and adults are expected to be able to control themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

That article linked to this one https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jun/19/eurydice-dixon-death-male-rage-australia-women-men-attitudes

It says that 80% of murders and violent crime are carried out by men,and men make up two-thirds of the victims. It seems to me that it would be much more efficient to set up programmes telling men not to harm men, rather than trying to help only 33% of victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

No

whats disgusting about it? Surely the point we need to highlight is that rapists often seem to be normal people that you wouldn't think could do something so terrible.

If the headline was reversed and written by a man who was raped by a woman would it still be disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

No

seriously your the one being a fool there comparing feeding a child to having a ****

You don't have to be a feminist to see how stupid that is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

McGaggs wrote: »
    That article linked to this one https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jun/19/eurydice-dixon-death-male-rage-australia-women-men-attitudes

It says that 80% of murders and violent crime are carried out by men,and men make up two-thirds of the victims. It seems to me that it would be much more efficient to set up programmes telling men not to harm men, rather than trying to help only 33% of victims.
    I found nothing wrong with the article, or the headline for that matter. To me, the journalist is basically saying that when it comes to rape and sexual assault we should abandon the tired old cliches of "he was a monster" and "what were you wearing" as it serves no purpose. The title of the article merely reflects this (although it is written to maximise the clicks).

The piece in question should be read as a personal account of what happened to her, but there was no attempt to shoehorn in the usual gender wars stuff in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

You don't have to be a feminist to see how stupid that is

Feminists are quite prone to stupidity in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Rape is defined as inserting something inside someone else against their will. So she didn't rape him because he was inside her. For her to rape him she would've had to insert something into his anus

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

Quazzie wrote: »
    Rape is defined as inserting something inside someone else against their will. So she didn't rape him because he was inside her. For her to rape him she would've had to insert something into his anus

No. Rape is having sex with someone against their will. What happened this man is definitely rape.

elvis83 wrote: »
    No. Rape is having sex with someone against their will. What happened this man is definitely rape.

Rape is a technical term. You should look it up.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

LINK

Well that's news to me, thanks for the link.

LINK

Just because the law is stupid and centred towards women, there's no reason for her to skate punishment.

• Advertisement

Just because the law is stupid and centred towards women, there's no reason for her to skate punishment.

In just about every area of the law, women receive less punishment and far more likely to be acquitted, compared to men (for the same crime). This is nothing new really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

LINK
    Thats only the definition in uk law.
    In case you hadn't noticed this isnt the uk... and the dictionary definition is not aligned with the UK legal view

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rape

In just about every area of the law, women receive less punishment and far more likely to be acquitted, compared to men (for the same crime). This is nothing new really.

Worrying is it not ?

The UK Justice Minister has a plant o never lock up non-violent female offenders, ever.

You can do a serious amount of damage without being violent - and the plan is t let criminals off merely for a lack of penis ? And perhaps not even, given this mad world. Sure hasn't that maniac that killed the two wee girls "identified" as a woman ???

The definition of rape has no bearing on the legalities of the situation. It's just a definition. There is many an argument to be made against inequalities in the legal systems, but rape having a set definition is not one of them

ELM327 wrote: »
    In case you hadn't noticed this isnt the uk... and the dictionary definition is not aligned with the UK legal view

The article quoted originally is a UK article, so Irish definition has zero relevance.

The definition of rape has no bearing on the legalities of the situation. It's just a definition. There is many an argument to be made against inequalities in the legal systems, but rape having a set definition is not one of them
    And a definition which does not apply here.

The article quoted originally is a UK article, so Irish definition has zero relevance.
    This isnt the UK so the UK legal definition (which is different to the dictionary definition) has the same relevance as the weather in the bahamas

And a definition which does not apply here.
    This isnt the UK so the UK legal definition (which is different to the dictionary definition) has the same relevance as the weather in the bahamas

And in case you hadn't noticed, Irish law has the same definition no matter what your online dictionary definition is.
    4.—(1) In this Act “rape under section 4 ” means a sexual assault that includes—

(a) penetration (however slight) of the anus or mouth by the penis, or

(b) penetration (however slight) of the vagina by any object held or manipulated by another person.

(2) A person guilty of rape under section 4 shall be liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for life.

(3) Rape under section 4 shall be a felony.

LINK

"Online dictionary definition".
    It's the same across all recognised standard dictionaries.

Interesting that we have the same (incorrect) definition of rape as the UK do.
    Why arent the feminists/liberals out protesting that? Of course, it only affects men so it's not interesting for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

No
    And in case you hadn't noticed, Irish law has the same definition no matter what your online dictionary definition is.

LINK

That legislation was brought in to cover oral rape and rape with a foreign object, there is also the offence of Section 2 rape

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1981/act/10/section/2/enacted/en/html#sec2
    2.—(1) A man commits rape if—

(a) he has unlawful sexual intercourse with a woman who at the time of the intercourse does not consent to it, and

(b) at that time he knows that she does not consent to the intercourse or he is reckless as to whether she does or does not consent to it,

and references to rape in this Act and any other enactment shall be construed accordingly.

(2) It is hereby declared that if at a trial for a rape offence the jury has to consider whether a man believed that a woman was consenting to sexual intercourse, the presence or absence of reasonable grounds for such a belief is a matter to which the jury is to have regard, in conjunction with any other relevant matters, in considering whether he so believed.[\quote]

• Advertisement

So under that law and the law above it does not seem possible to prosecute a cis woman for rape of a man?

No
    So under that law and the law above it does not seem possible to prosecute a cis woman for rape of a man?

Not possible under either section 2 rape or section 4 rape.

Edit: missread your comment, altered to take account of what you actually said.

a cis woman

I am seeing this written online a lot. WTF is a CIS woman?

No

Not sure what it's an abbreviation for but it is basically leftist speak for straight white. So acis male is a straight white male.

It was developed as a pejorative term and has become a bit more mainstream an acceptable.

The group that is all for equality and inclusiveness sure loves to come up with divisive terms for groups of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

a cis woman is a woman who identifies as female and was assigned a female sex at birth

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/6227596/cis-cisgender-woman-man-meaning-transgender/

source wrote: »
    Not sure what it's an abbreviation for but it is basically leftist speak for straight white. So acis male is a straight white male.

It was developed as a pejorative term and has become a bit more mainstream an acceptable.

The group that is all for equality and inclusiveness sure loves to come up with divisive terms for groups of people.

I think it's just gender right? Not race? It's all very wordy, got to pick the right label!

No
    hots wrote: »
    I think it's just gender right? Not race? It's all very wordy, got to pick the right label!

It may have originated as gender but it's definitely used now from what I'm seeing online to define someone as straight and white.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Nada to do with race or sexuality PR, basically CIS = Normal. The crazy notion that if you're genetically and physically male(or female) you're male(or female). Groundbreaking stuff.

For all the protests about labels by the "right on" they certainly have the capacity to generate more than any other group. Again the irony and self awareness bypass at work.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

source wrote: »
    It may have originated as gender but it's definitely used now from what I'm seeing online to define someone as straight and white.

I've had it thrown at me as an insult in a discussion - "what the f*** would you know, you're cis ???"

I'm white but I think slavery was - and is - abohrrent; I'm straight but a huge gay ally and I've been a member of the WWF (not that one!) for 30 years despite my sadly not being a panda bear!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nada to do with race or sexuality PR, basically CIS = Normal. The crazy notion that if you're genetically and physically male(or female) you're male(or female). Groundbreaking stuff.

For all the protests about labels by the "right on" they certainly have the capacity to generate more than any other group. Again the irony and self awareness bypass at work.

its a half assed attempt to control language, it would be like Irish people going round and having to mention that they are members of "the settled community" if 99% of the population are or behave a particular way , then labelling it is redundant.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement