Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I always question them when they state categorically that women suffer abuse WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more than men. How do they know??

Where do men go? Who do they turn to? Thats when they have the guts to talk about it. They often don't and it contributes towards mental health issues and suicide that a lot of man face.

If a man 'grows a pair' and 'mans up' enough to walk away from a relationship, he runs the huge risk of loosing his house and access to his children.

I'd say (based on anecdotal evidence) that men suffer more emotional and psychological abuse than women or at the very least on a level playing field. Also, with regards physical abuse, I have no doubt that its pretty much 55/45 as opposed to 90/10 that feminists spew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

py2006 wrote: »
    I always question them when they state categorically that women suffer abuse WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more than men. How do they know??

Where do men go? Who do they turn to? Thats when they have the guts to talk about it. They often don't and it contributes towards mental health issues and suicide that a lot of man face.

If a man 'grows a pair' and 'mans up' enough to walk away from a relationship, he runs the huge risk of loosing his house and access to his children.

I'd say (based on anecdotal evidence) that men suffer more emotional and psychological abuse than women or at the very least on a level playing field. Also, with regards physical abuse, I would have no doubt it saying its pretty much close to even in reality.

If there was a way to record every incident of physical and emotional domestic abuse - including depriving a parent the right to see and have a relationship with their child, I'd even say women are way up there.

If there was a way to record every incident of physical and emotional domestic abuse - including depriving a parent the right to see and have a relationship with their child, I'd even say women are way up there.

I know a guy in work that separated from his wife. It was a mutual thing as the both fell out of love. Of course she fleeced him and turned their only daughter against him who will not speak to him. What kind of damage does that do to a man?

I know a guy in work that separated from his wife. It was a mutual thing as the both fell out of love. Of course she fleeced him and turned their only daughter against him who will not speak to him. What kind of damage does that do to a man?

I'm aware of at least two suicides and two others who literally stay with awful, awful women due to their kids.

They are sacrificing their happiness to keep a loving relationship with their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

I'm aware of at least two suicides and two others who literally stay with awful, awful women due to their kids.

They are sacrificing their happiness to keep a loving relationship with their children.

I can' imagine how difficult this is. I have plenty examples myself of people I know in the same situation, in an absolutely toxic relationship where both people have the ability to be happy, neither are bad people, but they were both completely incompatible and tied together because of the kids early on.

A good mate of mine is in a similar situation, they never married and aren't really seeing each other, but whenever she wants a "go of him", she'll call being flirty, and when he denies her she'll threaten that he'll never see the kids again. Been in the car with him and heard it and it made me furious.

She'd ask him to move in when she was short on cash, pretend that she'd try better, but after a week or two she'd kick him out again. He was a sap for going back but he just wanted to be closer with the kids.

Actually heartbreaking.

kubjones wrote: »
    I can' imagine how difficult this is. I have plenty examples myself of people I know in the same situation, in an absolutely toxic relationship where both people have the ability to be happy, neither are bad people, but they were both completely incompatible and tied together because of the kids early on.

A good mate of mine is in a similar situation, they never married and aren't really seeing each other, but whenever she wants a "go of him", she'll call being flirty, and when he denies her she'll threaten that he'll never see the kids again. Been in the car with him and heard it and it made me furious.

She'd ask him to move in when she was short on cash, pretend that she'd try better, but after a week or two she'd kick him out again. He was a sap for going back but he just wanted to be closer with the kids.

Actually heartbreaking.

Very. And every time I read about blatant sexism from women I am disgusted by the hypocrisy of my gender.

Very. And every time I read about blatant sexism from women I am disgusted by the hypocrisy of my gender.

You're a hunny? :eek:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

Ah it is everywhere to be fair.

Most women I know are class people, but you'll have your outliers. These outliers tend to be the loudest and angriest, because that kind of person only attracts the same kind of people.

You're a hunny? :eek:

giphy.gif

Fraid so!!

Fraid so!!

Why so? :confused:

• Advertisement

Why so? :confused:

Ah just a joke!!

I just work with two self confessed (they'd say self described!!) social justice nerds who keep telling me I'm not binary or gender fluid or some such nonsense!!!!!

Apparently a women liking sports, hating Love Island etc, wearing trousers and leaving the room when people talking weddings and babies lest I throw up or fall asleep through boredom - means I can't be a woman!

On the plus side, when I'm around they lay off the "men are all stupid" a bit, in case I'm offended! So, silver lining and all that!

This outta make ya'll angry...

Sounds about right for these muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Not really, i expect it from the feminist types we see it this side of the water also. CPS in UK is prime example withholding evidence that would exonerate men accused of rape ect.

Its people like this who are the reason the likes of trump does so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That's the thing, Trump was elected off this type of tripe.

It was a pushback against regressive leftism.

The scary thing for me is that they've learned nothing from 2016, they've doubled down on their agenda and become even more extreme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tucker has her on alot. She is an extremist and he likes making fun of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was on a flight today that had issues during pre-boarding and due to some weight restrictions they needed 2 volunteers to come off the plane and take a later flight for some cash money. I was interested but then they said "preferably males". What was strange though is that there were half a dozen women that there were 3/4 women considerably heavier than some of the men on the flight.

Found the whole thing strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

razorblunt wrote: »
    I was on a flight today that had issues during pre-boarding and due to some weight restrictions they needed 2 volunteers to come off the plane and take a later flight for some cash money. I was interested but then they said "preferably males". What was strange though is that there were half a dozen women that there were 3/4 women considerably heavier than some of the men on the flight.

That is weird like unless it was a tiny Aer Arran style plane small weight differences in passengers shouldn't make that much difference.
    Men do have a higher muscle mass than women though, and as muscle is more dense than fat they can weigh more while looking smaller, possibly not the rationale but could be a factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

maybe
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6010287/Young-mother-21-took-13-year-old-schoolboys-virginity-avoids-jail.html

Ara sure its alright, just don't do it again.
    Ffs.
    Scumbag peado needs locking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

probably shouldn't expect more from the BBC but they have a series called Killing Eve , female serial killer and female lead cop, no problem with that however at least 2 "knobs" as they called it chopped off , a definite bias for the males to have the more violent on screen deaths and the lead cop (the good character) gets to slap her husband full on with no remorse , and he just takes it like its normal or he deserved it.
    it seems like the beeb is just feminist fan service at this stage

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

That's the thing, Trump was elected off this type of tripe.

It was a pushback against regressive leftism.

The scary thing for me is that they've learned nothing from 2016, they've doubled down on their agenda and become even more extreme.

And the poison is rapidly spreading here, all their toxic masculinity bullcrap regularly popping up here now.

It needs to be pushed back against hard.

Panthro wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6010287/Young-mother-21-took-13-year-old-schoolboys-virginity-avoids-jail.html

Ara sure its alright, just don't do it again.
    Ffs.
    Scumbag peado needs locking up.

In the context of the crown prosecution service hiding evidence that would exhonerate them, this is fairly ****ed up.

And the poison is rapidly spreading here, all their toxic masculinity bullcrap regularly popping up here now.

It needs to be pushed back against hard.

It's starting to turn on itself in the US, the right are using similar tactical to the left and tacking out people based on past **** or craziness they are saying .

I wonder though what will Ireland's trump moment be .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Calhoun wrote: »
    It's starting to turn on itself in the US, the right are using similar tactical to the left and tacking out people based on past **** or craziness they are saying .

I wonder though what will Ireland's trump moment be .

They are really going after racist and sexist Sarah Jeong from the New York Times. But the NYT are holding strong, they understand the game well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

backspin. wrote: »
    They are really going after racist and sexist Sarah Jeong from the New York Times. But the NYT are holding strong, they understand the game well.

They won't be holding on for long. Trying to justify her racist remarks by saying she was reacting to harassment is clear BS. There's a clear pattern of racist and sexist behavior
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1025437806775226368.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

They won't be holding on for long. Trying to justify her racist remarks by saying she was reacting to harassment is clear BS. There's a clear pattern of racist and sexist behavior
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1025437806775226368.html

That's quite a long drawn out reaction.. 5 years ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭iptba

iptba wrote: »
    The Leaving Cert results broken down by gender are up at examinations.ie: https://www.examinations.ie/statistics/

I think it is interesting to look at the top grade (Grade 1=A1) at honours level as you will generally need some natural aptitude to get such a grade, just being a good student isn't enough.

Languages:
    Irish: girls: 799 boys: 346 ratio: 1:0.43
    French: girls: 616 (66%) boys: 314 ratio: 1:0.51
    German: girls: 196 boys: 110 ratio: 1:0.56
    Spanish: girls: 277 boys: 134 ratio: 1:0.48

English: girls: 675 boys: 441 ratio: 1:0.65

Mathematics: girls: 279 boys: 675 ratio: 1: 2.42

If it was just down to girls working harder, this is not the type of pattern you would expect.
    Results are up again for this year. Similar pattern to last year (and most years)

https://www.examinations.ie/statistics/

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/exams/girls-continue-to-outperform-boys-across-subjects-in-leaving-cert-37224833.html

Girls outperform boys in majority of Leaving Cert subjects
    Boys fare better at higher maths, while boys in North overtake girls for the first time
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/girls-outperform-boys-in-majority-of-leaving-cert-subjects-1.3598751
    Separately, new research by the Educational Research Centre shows that 10-year-old girls outperformed boys on overall reading skills.
    However the article then discusses how gender stereotyping could negatively affect females.

But no mention of what could be done to help boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/girls-outperform-boys-in-majority-of-leaving-cert-subjects-1.3598751

However the article then discusses how gender stereotyping could negatively affect females.

But no mention of what could be done to help boys.

Be careful with "studies" like this. If they are focusing on girls at a young age, there could well be an agenda at play. Of course, boys and girls mature at different rates. Boys bodies focus more on becoming physically big during puberty, with resources being diverted from brain development having an effect on school work when compared to girls, who have no such problem. At about the age of 15 onward, boys catch up and in fact continue to develop for about another five years after girls. If someone wants to push an agenda, they are going to focus on the brain development window when girls have the advantage.

https://academic.oup.com/cercor/article/11/6/552/370644

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

razorblunt wrote: »

That is weird like unless it was a tiny Aer Arran style plane small weight differences in passengers shouldn't make that much difference.
    Men do have a higher muscle mass than women though, and as muscle is more dense than fat they can weigh more while looking smaller, possibly not the rationale but could be a factor

Maybe they were just looking to take a couple of bigger and heavier guys from the plane just to be sure they'd get back into their MTOW; As said above, men do tend to have denser muscle mass - which makes us heavier for the same size.
    Airlines use a standardized weight assumption per each passenger; It used to be around 80kg until Air Midwest 5481 crash in 2003, when the NTSB compared this data with that of medicals from the US Army and found the weight to be underestimated (the average serviceman weighed in at nearly 90kg). Not sure what the figure is now, but it's usally based off data from militaries, which in turn means largely male subjects.

So, this is most likely the reason for preferring to take men off the flight.

Now, from a media/PR standpoint...if I was taking decisions for the airline, I'd do exactly the same. This is the era of internet stupidity and something considered sensitive such as weight is involved - the last thing you want is somebody to go to the local news rag and claim the airline is "sexist and fat shaming" (the fact they asked for volounteers is moot, Internet angry mobs don't care for facts, just slogans).

By removing men, you decrease such risk - if nothing else, most news outlets will be totally uninterested in a sob "I've been discriminated 'cause I'm 'curvy'" story from a dude and would likely just laugh him out the door.

• Advertisement

Call for female entrepreneurs to apply for development programme
    The latest cycle of the ACORNS programme is open to rural female entrepreneurs who wish to apply.

[..]

Places will be offered to 50 female early-stage entrepreneurs. It is being funded through the Department of Agriculture’s €1.5m Rural Innovation and Development Fund and run through Fitzsimons Consulting.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/the-farmers-daily-wrap-beef-prices-and-presidential-election-398968

Over 100,000 likes and 25,000 retweets for this message in less than two days:
    <https://twitter.com/emrazz/status/1033808577004228609?s=11>

As I believe I said here before, I think it is unfair to generalise or extrapolate to most men. If one looked at a graph looking at likelihood to undertake a mass shooting, virtually all men would have zero or virtually zero interest in doing it. There would be a tiny number in a totally separate group. Basically a bimodal distribution. It's not like something like some causes where there would be soft support violence.

I'm not sure about this point about "entitlement" being something exclusive to men. I think perhaps some people in each gender might be more likely to feel "entitled" to some things e.g. women might feel more entitled to have an expensive wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

As I believe I said here before, I think it is unfair to generalise or extrapolate to most men. If one looked at a graph looking at likelihood to undertake a mass shooting, virtually all men would have zero or virtually zero interest in doing it. There would be a tiny number in a totally separate group. Basically a bimodal distribution. It's not like something like some causes where there would be soft support violence.

I'm not sure about this point about "entitlement" being something exclusive to men. I think perhaps some people in each gender might be more likely to feel "entitled" to some things e.g. women might feel more entitled to have an expensive wedding?

That's still sedated compared to the reaction I expected this to have; This shooting represents basically a "wet dream" for most modern media - the perpetrator is a young male, a "loner", a "nerd" and a "gamer", pretty much the definition of evil incarnate as far as certain positions would be concerned.

I was fully expecting this to transform into a violent attack to the gaming industry at large, with calls for bans and witch trials...while some have gone that way, it mostly was "just another shooting" for most media (the fact there is even a concept of "just another shooting" is a different problem altogether).

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I was fully expecting this to transform into a violent attack to the gaming industry at large, with calls for bans and witch trials...while some have gone that way, it mostly was "just another shooting" for most media (the fact there is even a concept of "just another shooting" is a different problem altogether).

Thats because it was a football game. If it had of been Grand Theft Auto or whatever it would have been a diff story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Does anyone here watch MKR (My Kitchen Rules)? Basically it's like Masterchef mixed with Come dine with me. But it's with couples. Now the couple can be friends, actual couples, or siblings, etc. On the current season there are a brother and sister in it, and the guy is single. I've watched two episodes now where the hour long show, which is mostly about cooking, but there has been more of an emphasis on the guy being single and how two of the single ladies on other teams have taken a likening to him. They are all over him - practically drooling, and it's quiet cringey, but my first thought was, if the sexes were reversed the singles guys would be kicked off the show for sexual harassment and the girl would be in therapy with a lawsuit filed. It's hard to detail it correctly but anyone here who watches MKR will know exactly what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

No
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Does anyone here watch MKR (My Kitchen Rules)? Basically it's like Masterchef mixed with Come dine with me. But it's with couples. Now the couple can be friends, actual couples, or siblings, etc. On the current season there are a brother and sister in it, and the guy is single. I've watched two episodes now where the hour long show, which is mostly about cooking, but there has been more of an emphasis on the guy being single and how two of the single ladies on other teams have taken a likening to him. They are all over him - practically drooling, and it's quiet cringey, but my first thought was, if the sexes were reversed the singles guys would be kicked off the show for sexual harassment and the girl would be in therapy with a lawsuit filed. It's hard to detail it correctly but anyone here who watches MKR will know exactly what I mean.

that's just reality tv, the roles are often reversed, countless reality shows have a few lads going after a single girl, if its actual harassment that's another issue entirely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

that's just reality tv, the roles are often reversed, countless reality shows have a few lads going after a single girl, if its actual harassment that's another issue entirely

It's hard to describe. It was borderline harassment. Someone even joked it was like lionesses stalking their prey. Of course everyone just laughed, but like I said, the same situation - reversed - would be a very different matter.

Bare in mind this isn't a dating show, it's very much a cooking show.

Quazzie wrote: »
    It's hard to describe. It was borderline harassment. Someone even joked it was like lionesses stalking their prey. Of course everyone just laughed, but like I said, the same situation - reversed - would be a very different matter.

Bare in mind this isn't a dating show, it's very much a cooking show.

I think people are over-estimating the gender reversal thing to show the double standards. Are there double standards? Of course there are... but honestly, there are heaps of shows where men show their interest/attraction in women and it's not criticized. The issue is the manner in which it happens, and peripheral issues like age differences, social/class distinctions, etc.

This reversing the genders is becoming too common as if to say they would always be different, but I don't think they are... Admittedly, I don't watch much TV because it's so fake... but still.

Raising awareness about the double standards shouldn't go overboard. It's the very reason why so many third/fourth wave feminists are ignored. They reach for every possible example of sexism, and come off as being desperate.

Its not that type of reality show, if the role were reversed there would be a sexist scandal going on. The guy on a number of occasions is actually made very uncomfortable.

I think people are over-estimating the gender reversal thing to show the double standards. Are there double standards? Of course there are... but honestly, there are heaps of shows where men show their interest/attraction in women and it's not criticized. The issue is the manner in which it happens, and peripheral issues like age differences, social/class distinctions, etc.

This reversing the genders is becoming too common as if to say they would always be different, but I don't think they are... Admittedly, I don't watch much TV because it's so fake... but still.

Raising awareness about the double standards shouldn't go overboard. It's the very reason why so many third/fourth wave feminists are ignored. They reach for every possible example of sexism, and come off as being desperate.

Shows in 2018?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

The Swedish 'female only' festival happened over the weekend.
    The English Independent have a very good photograph of the crowd - don't know how to link from the phone - but it contains elements that one would expect to see at such a meeting...or in GTA or a game where you create ridiculous looking characters. Let's just say the purple-haired feminist meme might have competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

TBH, I think that tweet would make more sense of the references to men and male were changed to reference America and American.

Defunkd wrote: »
    The Swedish 'female only' festival happened over the weekend.
    The English Independent have a very good photograph of the crowd - don't know how to link from the phone - but it contains elements that one would expect to see at such a meeting...or in GTA or a game where you create ridiculous looking characters. Let's just say the purple-haired feminist meme might have competition.

statement-festival-1.jpg?w600

1535791318_sdltd1ece8e-nh.jpg

I wonder how much female/female violence/assault occurred. It'll also be interesting how such festivals deal with Trans...

Is that Harry Enfield's "Kevin" character on the right in the first pic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Making fun of people's appearance is kind of low don't you all think?

I pointed out there was a resemblance to a tv character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

sharper wrote: »
    Making fun of people's appearance is kind of low don't you all think?
    Were he/she/xhe born that way, it would be unfair to joke about xher appearance. Xhe has freedom of expression, so do I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Defunkd wrote: »
    Were he/she/xhe born that way, it would be unfair to joke about xher appearance. Xhe has freedom of expression, so do I.

Oh I don't know this was an issue of what is strictly legal or illegal.

Making fun of people's appearance is low. Legal but low.

There's a lot of valid discussion to be had on holding a festival that restricts access based on unalterable characteristics. Going after how everyone is dressed distracts from that.

• Advertisement

sharper wrote: »
    Oh I don't know this was an issue of what is strictly legal or illegal.

Making fun of people's appearance is low. Legal but low.

There's a lot of valid discussion to be had on holding a festival that restricts access based on unalterable characteristics. Going after how everyone is dressed distracts from that.

Well appearance does have a part to play in it, as from the looks of the group they are conforming to a stereotype of certain females.

You will also not that if it was an all male festival appearance and looks would be the first thing to be attacked.

Advertisement