Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Love/Hate last night...
    Why is it okay to makes jokes about a man being gang-raped? If it was Siobhan or Trish gang-raped on Love/Hate last night there would be outrage if there were any jokes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Love/Hate last night...
    Why is it okay to makes jokes about a man being gang-raped? If it was Siobhan or Trish gang-raped on Love/Hate last night there would be outrage if there were any jokes!

Thanks for that, I've not been able to watch it yet.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Thanks for that, I've not been able to watch it yet.

Kind of assumed that its been impossible for anyone to avoid whats happened in the show last night as its absolutely everywhere on the internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Kind of assumed that its been impossible for anyone to avoid whats happened in the show last night as its absolutely everywhere on the internet.

It's not big at all outside Ireland. Noone here seems to even have heard of it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

It's not big at all outside Ireland. Noone here seems to even have heard of it.

Well.... maybe you should'nt have visitied Irish forums so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Spoiler tags added now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Seriously? wrote: »
    What’s interesting is how she assumes as a female that assaulting that guy is ok, all the while people are chanting “sexual assault is not ok”.

Fair credit to the restraint shown by the guy who in my mind would have been perfectly entitled to return the favour, however that would have just allowed her to play the victim.

That's the hilarious and ironic thing about it.

- Sexual assault is not okay!
    - Hold on, let me just go physically assault this person real quick

Wibbs wrote: »
    This another perfect example of this daft gender war shíte kicking off at the moment. "PUA" gobshíte selling his wares for the largest PUA company out there(RSD) posts a youtube video of him going well over the top harassing Japanese women. Forget "isms" the guy was being a dick and a disturbing one too. A real social mental defective. To the degree that many other PUA types are asking "WTF?" about this eejit. But the show/business must go on pimping "bootcamps" and making money out of guys looking for guidance. A woman shows up to one of these "free" seminars as part of a protest against this eejits video and she kicks off on one. Two gobshítes fighting over a "war" nobody wants and is getting tired of.

In this case who's worse? I'd say the PUA eejit by a goodly distance. The sociopathic shenanigans he pulled in his video, that's bad enough, but if some naive follower of his tries similar emulating his "guru" and gets his head kicked in by some locals and/or is up for sexual assault, IMH that's far more serious than some woman losing the run of herself in a situation of heightened feelings at a protest. Her kicking off is a one off, but this other idiot is selling this guff to thousands of men around the world and too many will believe him and see this incident as an example of the "feminists" holding them back.

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I in no way support that kunt and how he acted in that video, or any of those PUA's. To be honest, I think there could be a negative backlash in Asian countries from this where people see that Westerners are coming to their country and being totally disrespectful. They're some of the nicest and most mannerly people who, a lot of the time, welcome and accept western people and for someone to abuse that to the point it could make them become hostile towards others is sad. Can't imagine what would happen in Ireland or UK or America if some foreigner/tourist came over and fuked around like that. Definitely can't imagine what would happen if he did it in Sweeden.

All this aside, resorting to hitting someone like that, especially in public and surrounded by a crowd of people lol, is inexcusable.

I'm also afraid to say that this infamous Julien Blanc will probably have even more success with women now too. Even though it's bad status, he still has status and is relevant due to all the attention he's receiving. Can easily see him having drunk girls seeing him on a night out and recognising him or finding out that he's "famous" or a "bad boy" and finding it attractive.

reprazant wrote: »
    I have zero respect for people who want to be a PUA as the whole idea of it is that women get treated like little better than bags of meat there to be scored and thrown away after. If your idea of getting women is to learn how to prey upon their insecurities, you'll probably barely have any sort of meaningful relationship with one. As for going to a seminars where the guy doing the talk encourages you to essentially assault women, good god.

Because all PUA are the same and do the same things? Women don't also take part in meaningless sex nowadays? Lots of women will similarly "throw away" men after a one night stand. And I'm not even a PUA but I don't assume that because one practice's and teaches those method that must mean that every PUA does the same.

maybe
    Well.... maybe you should'nt have visitied Irish forums so :pac:

I've been using this forum for years and I'm avoiding the TV and AH forums until I get a chance to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No
    Love/Hate last night...

You cant really use a character like Fran as a litmus test tbh.

From the get go he has proven time and again to be morally reprehensible, devoid of mercy and has killed without hesitation for the smallest of perceived infractions.

If it was an "innocent" character that was assaulted in such a way then there would be an argument for being outraged but as the saying goes, live by the sword, die by the sword. If one consistently carries out brutal acts then one really can't complain when it eventually catches up, that IMO is what the show illustrates.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

No
    Women who claim misogyny on the internet at any and every opportunity i.e. when a male poster questions their view are displaying blatantly sexist behaviour.

The irony of course, is that oftentimes they are complaining about being treated exactly as a male poster would treat a fellow male poster - they are questioned, interrogated, cross-examined to a degree and even ridiculed at times just as males do with other males. It is sexist if the male puts on the kids gloves and modifies his behaviour, tones things down and takes it easy on the lady, is deliberately and consciously easier on her.

As for misogyny, it is my view that anyone who takes offense based on what some stranger on the internet says to them needs to seriously ask themselves why they let themselves be affected in that way - however I cannot legislate for the sensibilities of my fellow men and women so I do acknowledge that some people do get "hurt" on the internet, that's a different discussion.

However it is only misogyny if it is a clear, demonstrable and explicit example of hate speech against women and too often, the misogyny card is thrown out there with almost gleeful abandon ironically once again provoking increasing levels of genuine misogyny.

We have gone way too far into the realms of an almost Orwellian realms of thought crime and double think whereby anytime a male disagrees with a female online she can, if she so desires, scream "misogyny" knowing full well that the relevant "authorities" cowed by the quasi-fascist political ideologies of the day will act on her behalf, for the simple reason that opposition to that ideology automatically bestows the smear on the opponent.

It's history repeating, the Salem witch trials, the McCarthite communist hunt and now the "internet misogynists" - abide or die! Oppose our argument no matter how lopsided and overstretched it has become and you are "one of them".

A recurring complaint among some female posters is that they just kind of feel unwelcome, that the "atmosphere" is not sufficiently supportive. There are not enough facepalms! This is the bleeding internet, it's not really about atmosphere, it's a place where we right stuff down and read other stuff.

What next? Should we sprinkle virtual fairy-dust designs around the side of the posts? Should female posters receive an automated private PM timed around their menstrual cycle asking them "if they've had a bad day?". This sense of entitlement and special privilige is totally and utterly sexist and the fact that that their complaints are so often pandered to is another example of sexism and this of course feeds the whole circle-jerk of internet trollery as some male posters get peed off by this and say to themselves "Well, if I am constantly been told I am a vile, sexist pig just for having an alternate view then I may as well act like one" and on and on we go the two depressingly myopic gangs doing their thing, and sexism and all that goes with it carried on high by the two opposing camps who are claim to be most committed to eradicating it - when the reality is they are the very people who are sustaining it, they have become consumed by it, they are sexism! They just don't see it because people rarely see themselves.

So that's the sexism I see every day, all the time, it doesn't bother me very much because it is relatively trivial (online at least) and it can be highly illuminating and entertaining. We are all sexist, it comes with being human - some of us acknowledge that, some of us use it to our advantage, some see sexism everywhere but within themselves, some go along with whatever the acceptable socio-political norms of the day are and attach themselves to whatever that bandwagon is, but it's there, it's everywhere, it's a snake feasting on its own tale and ultimately it's just a giant pathetic piss-take on the absurdities of the human condition - "No, I am more victimised than you" "No, I am"

Grow up, so someone mocked your point of view on the internet, the world won't end - live your lives! Look for victimhood on every corned and ye shall find because guess what the world can be a tough place, but it can also be a beautiful warm and loving place but some will never know that because they're too busy eating their own tails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

As per the post above this article is brilliant and it's written by a woman. Very rare is it that you see a journalist criticising their fellow journos but this is simply a very thought-provoking piece. It kinda sucks that the misogyny on boards thread was closed in AH as I think this is a discussion that needs to b had.

And not to have a go at the mods on AH (they have an extremely tough job there) but I think that the stickied thread has failed to show that sexism goes both ways on boards.

maybe
    You cant really use a character like Fran as a litmus test tbh.

From the get go he has proven time and again to be morally reprehensible, devoid of mercy and has killed without hesitation for the smallest of perceived infractions.

If it was an "innocent" character that was assaulted in such a way then there would be an argument for being outraged but as the saying goes, live by the sword, die by the sword. If one consistently carries out brutal acts then one really can't complain when it eventually catches up, that IMO is what the show illustrates.

Fair enough but could the same be said of Cersei Lannister? I doubt that there would have been many jokes about what happened to her. The Guardian covered it though that's not a fair comparison as Love/Hate isn't watched by nearly as many.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    And not to have a go at the mods on AH (they have an extremely tough job there) but I think that the stickied thread has failed to show that sexism goes both ways on boards.
    Not commenting on the thread per say, but I think the assumption that only misogyny is an issue and that men are problem is more indicative of western society as a whole.

Boards.ie would in general be a fairly mainstream publication with a prevailing left-wing liberal stance at its core in my opinion, so not at all an attitude that is surprising really.

*again a general comment on society/boards.ie rather than moderation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

No
    TW Rape
    Love/Hate last night...

Honestly i Think it highlights how society ignores that men can also be victims of rape, all be it in a very graphic way. The show didn't make a rape joke some idiots who watched it have been, but that just proves thing like this are needed. (Remember a few seasons ago Siobhan was raped so the producers can not be accused of making any patriarchal rape jokes)

Whats really bad is under Irish law (well on the statute book) what happened to Fran was not rape, yes we are that backwards

maybe
    TW Rape

Honestly i Think it highlights how society ignores that men can also be victims of rape, all be it in a very graphic way. The show didn't make a rape joke some idiots who watched it have been, but that just proves thing like this are needed. (Remember a few seasons ago Siobhan was raped so the producers can not be accused of making any patriarchal rape jokes)

Whats really bad is under Irish law (well on the statute book) what happened to Fran was not rape, yes we are that backwards

There's page after page on that nauseating thread on the TV forum of rape jokes and there's barely anyone there who had a problem with them.

• Advertisement

No
    There's page after page on that nauseating thread on the TV forum of rape jokes and there's barely anyone there who had a problem with them.

ya thats society being ****ty not the show

maybe
    ya thats society being ****ty not the show

I agree. I love the show and wouldn't fault it for that at all but the way people seem to think that it's something to joke about is depraved.

No
    I agree. I love the show and wouldn't fault it for that at all but the way people seem to think that it's something to joke about is depraved.

thats rape culture for you, its one of the many **** things we have to fight against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭iptba

thats rape culture for you, its one of the many **** things we have to fight against
    Alternatively it could be a sign that society doesn't treat male victims of violence that seriously (or as seriously as female victims). Something not likely helped by the one-sided view promoted by campaigns about domestic violence (particularly those run by feminist-influenced groups) i.e. no focus on male victims/male victims don't matter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    If so(I don't read the forum TBH), did you report them? Not being smart A, but it's a fast moving forum, mods may have not read it/may be only one mod on the go at the time. In any event, if in doubt report that guff, because I can tell you for nothing it's not welcome on the site.

EDIT I had a quick gander and reported one of the posts, so the mods should see it now anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

No
    iptba wrote: »
    Alternatively it could be a sign that society doesn't treat male victims of violence that seriously (or as seriously as female victims). Something not likely helped by the one-sided view promoted by campaigns about domestic violence (particularly those run by feminist-influenced groups) i.e. no focus on male victims/male victims don't matter.

that's tied up in gender roles in society, big strong man, small weak womam,
    both have negative results for people, the abolition of gender roles really should be the one feminist aim we can all support

iptba wrote:
    that's tied up in gender roles in society, big strong man, small weak womam,
    both have negative results for people, the abolition of gender roles really should be the one feminist aim we can all support
    Many feminists seem to claim to want to get rid of gender roles when it suits but seem quite happy to treat men and women differently in other situations e.g. in domestic violence, promoting male perpetrator/female victim model (i.e. making the situation worse, not better). We don't see feminists generally campaigning for equal conscription and military service. So I have no confidence that feminists are the people who will fight to help male victims of violence and attitudes towards them.

No
    Many feminists seem to claim to want to get rid of gender roles when it suits but seem quite happy to treat men and women differently in other situations e.g. in domestic violence, promoting male perpetrator/female victim model (i.e. making the situation worse, not better). We don't see feminists generally campaigning for equal conscription and military service. So I have no confidence that feminists are the people who will fight to help male victims of violence and attitudes towards them.

surely that's a good thing, no one should be forced into military service, I remember a lecturer saying something along the lines that the majority of feminists(not all) don't support the idea because they (again not all) view it as equality under oppression.

It's a view I tend to agree with no one should be conscripted.

of course we should not expect feminists to be overly vocal on mens issues, the same way men should not take a leading role in feminism, what I'm sayig is their is common ground in that both groups recognise (or should) the negative impacts of gender roles on society

maybe
    Wibbs wrote: »
    If so(I don't read the forum TBH), did you report them? Not being smart A, but it's a fast moving forum, mods may have not read it/may be only one mod on the go at the time. In any event, if in doubt report that guff, because I can tell you for nothing it's not welcome on the site.

EDIT I had a quick gander and reported one of the posts, so the mods should see it now anyway.

Thanks for that. It never occurred to me as there's page after page of them so I figured a mod would see them sooner or later.

iptba wrote:

surely that's a good thing, no one should be forced into military service, I remember a lecturer saying something along the lines that the majority of feminists(not all) don't support the idea because they (again not all) view it as equality under oppression.

It's a view I tend to agree with no one should be conscripted.
    No, I don't see that as a good thing. If they want to claim they aim for equality, they should want the bad parts as well as the good.

Cherry-picking the good parts and saying "no thank you, I don't want that part" for the bad parts doesn't make one a good egalitarian.

If you're an egalitarian but disagree about conscription and military service, you can still fight for equality and fight against conscription and military service.
    of course we should not expect feminists to be overly vocal on mens issues
    Really? Feminists aren't exactly in general very encouraging of the Men's Rights movement and the like. This attitude generally only seems to come up when they're pinned into a corner about not doing doing much for men.

No

If you're an egalitarian but disagree about conscription and military service, you can still fight for equality and fight against conscription and military service.

so we agree then? it's not egalitarian for me to advocate women suffer the same oppression they do, instead men and women should unite everywhere to oppose conscription.

[/QUOTE]Really? Feminists aren't exactly in general very encouraging of the Men's Rights movement and the like. This attitude generally only seems to come up when they're pinned into a corner about not doing doing much for men.[/QUOTE]

that maybe due to feminist bias or the fact that much of the MRA movement is doggedly anti feminist and that many men who believe in gender equality like myself get involved in feminist activism.

I feel this is straying off topic and into a needless debate so lets let sleeping dogs lie.
    to reiterate my original point the last episode of love hate was good, the rape scene highlighted an issue in society about gender roles which we all agree is **** and should be countered by everyone who believes in equality

iptba wrote:

so we agree then? it's not egalitarian for me to advocate women suffer the same oppression they do, instead men and women should unite everywhere to oppose conscription.
    No, we don't agree. I'm saying people are free to have the opinion that conscription and military service is not a good thing but others are free to disagree. These rules exists now in many countries in the world including many European countries: the egalitarian thing to say is people should have to have the same responsibilities.

Many people don't agree with lots of laws or taxes/charges imposed on them by the state (a topical one now would be the water charge in Ireland): it isn't egalitarian to say that we don't like particular laws or taxes/charges but we won't complain if they don't apply to women but do apply men. It's the opposite of looking for equality.

Equality means equal rights and responsibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Male rape in prison has been joked about on boards long before Love/Hate - search for "don't drop the soap" or "bubba" on boards and numerous examples will come up. From what i can see the mods take little or no action.

I have probably made one or two of these type jokes myself over the years before I copped myself on.

It is clearly a double standard - in a recent thread on AH about a woman who made a false rape allegation, someone replied that she should be genuinely raped. A swift banning (rightly) followed and the post was also used as an example of misogyny on boards.

Joking or talking in a lighthearted way about male anal rape (particularly in prison) is engrained in our culture. Does the below clip from a very well known film contain a male rape reference, I believe it does and no one bats an eyelid.

edit: if I have broken any rules by mentioning other forums/threads/moderation then apologies for that however I stick by my views on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

No
    Regarding the whole rape joke thing, do people think that jokes about rape (aimed at women or men) are unacceptable in all contexts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Standman wrote: »
    Regarding the whole rape joke thing, do people think that jokes about rape (aimed at women or men) are unacceptable in all contexts?

Yes

• Advertisement

I find it hard to believe that in a whole day filming these were the only shots they got. I find it easy to believe that these are the only NEGATIVE shots they got. They guy who made it has had repeated calls to release the raw tape but he has ignored that and others have pointed out that Hollywood Boulevard is one of the worst places to do a social experiment like this.

No

I find it hard to believe that in a whole day filming these were the only shots they got. I find it easy to believe that these are the only NEGATIVE shots they got. They guy who made it has had repeated calls to release the raw tape but he has ignored that and others have pointed out that Hollywood Boulevard is one of the worst places to do a social experiment like this.

as a general rule I don't trust those videos (no matter what they are on) unless they make the full set of responses available there's no way to trust the validity, now they it is an interesting concept the idea of social experiments like that, but like any research there's researcher bias and in the case of videos possible biased editing to get views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Standman wrote: »

I do not approve of rape; however, I do laugh when they come up in a comedy situation. Not because I think rape is funny, but because the "taboo" has been broken and is spoken about. In comedy, the normal rules of society should not apply.

If jokes about things that offended us, or a group were frowned upon, then nothing would be allowed. Certain hot button issues are religion, family, celebrity culture.

Really interesting article in the Huff Post by a feminist comedian on the issue:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/selena-coppock/can-rape-jokes-be-funny-s_b_3398921.html

As for society's treatment of rape, I do think there are double standards at play. No one can deny that.

maybe
    I do not approve of rape; however, I do laugh when they come up in a comedy situation. Not because I think rape is funny, but because the "taboo" has been broken and is spoken about. In comedy, the normal rules of society should not apply.

I think the issue here is that the rape in Love/Hate was never presented as a joke and because it happened to a male character, it is something to joke about instead of being inherently humorous. Most of the rape jokes I've come across involve men being the victims.

I think the issue here is that the rape in Love/Hate was never presented as a joke and because it happened to a male character, it is something to joke about instead of being inherently humorous. Most of the rape jokes I've come across involve men being the victims.
    Yeah. If you compare the jokes made about the rape scene in Love/Hate (which was very much rape) vs the uproar against the Cersei and Jaime Lannister scene in GoT (which, while having some consent issues, wasn't rape) is just ridiculous. I agree that making jokes about rape (in a comedic sense and not in a vile sense) is ok (mightn't be to your taste but that's comedy for you) but when people get in an uproar about a scene that isn't really rape and a scene that is a brutal gang-rape then there is inherent sexism there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Male rape in prison has been joked about on boards long before Love/Hate - search for "don't drop the soap" or "bubba" on boards and numerous examples will come up. From what i can see the mods take little or no action.

Misandry does not appear to matter on Boards. We men are open season.

Look at the sticky post this week on 'After Hours' warning men about Misogynist posts. NOT A SINGLE WORD about the explosion of misandrous hate posts against men in the last year. Not a single word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

No
    tritium wrote: »
    Yes

Do you feel the same way about murder and assault etc. or is it specifically rape that is unacceptable to joke about?

Personally I think there are contexts when a joke about anything can be funny. Fair enough if you don't find it funny yourself, but to think that such and such a topic can never be joked about in any context displays a lack of imagination and understanding of humour IMO.

maybe
    Piliger wrote: »
    Misandry does not appear to matter on Boards. We men are open season.

Look at the sticky post this week on 'After Hours' warning men about Misogynist posts. NOT A SINGLE WORD about the explosion of misandrous hate posts against men in the last year. Not a single word.

Do you have any examples? I've not noticed myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    OK folks let's dial right back on mentioning other forums hereabouts. It's a sitewide rule(except in feedback or that forum would die for obvious reasons :D).

However...
    Do you have any examples? I've not noticed myself.
    I'd be the same A, though to be fair, I'd be about as sensitive as a housebrick to that kinda thing. I'd just disregard the poster as a muppet and move on. Unless it's obvious, then I'd report it and them.

Genuine offer guys, if anyone can find examples of this kinda thing on this site, please PM me with a few of same, don't you worry, if it's happening I will take it further and your names won't come into it.

While this guff is in the majority of cases aimed at women, if nothing else by dint of the demographics of the site, this whole gender war trolling BS by some of late is really starting to piss me off TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Well, turns out the drunk girl social experiment was completely staged.
    Creepy guys harassing gals on the street is a real problem, but that viral video purporting to show what happens when a drunk gal stumbles around Hollywood Boulevard asking for help turns out to be fake. Some of the dudes in the video are none too happy about their portrayal: they say they were tricked into participating in what they thought would be a comedic student video.
    The video bills itself as a social experiment answering the question: what happens when a drunk woman in need asks men for help getting to the bus stop? Actress Jennifer Box, 24, sips out of brown paper bag and pretends to be drunk. She slurs and stumbles. She chews the scenery a bit. When she asks the men for help getting home, the men on camera seem less concerned with helping her and more interested in taking advantage of her incapacitated state.
    The woman's part was supposed to be staged, but it turns out the sleazy men's parts were, too. The Smoking Gun reports that two sources familiar with the production of the video approached men on the street to take part in a "comedic, hidden camera" video. One man who refused to participate said the film crew didn't ask for participants to sign a release or any other kind of paperwork.
    It landed one of the men who did appear on camera in trouble with his company. Mike “Mokii” Koshak works for LA Epic, which stages nightclub crawls. He's based in Hollywood trying to sell tickets to the crawls to tourists. He was wearing a company shirt and hat in the video, which did not please his employer, who says they wouldn't condone the creepy behavior portrayed in the video. LA Epic owner Christine Peters told The Smoking Gun that Koshak was taken advantage of when he was asked to "say a couple of lines for a comedy sketch." Peters said, "They made it seem like he was trying to take the girl home."
    Seth Leach, 22, who worked with the video's creator Stephen Zhang, 20, to recruit men for the video tried to reassure Koshak with a Facebook message and lure him with promises of fame and fortune and night of free drinking: "The important thing to consider is that this video is going to get you well known and have a future with us and our company." He added: "We are going to be huge and you are apart of it. Just go with it dude, you are in our team now and we will take care of you."
    All of those people who were concerned for the poor men caught being creeps on camera were only half-right. It appears that these men had not signed releases, and they certainly did come off looking horribly. But it looks like they had not been caught in the act of doing anything more than helping filmmakers who seemed more intent on viral fame than creating social change.

Well, turns out the drunk girl social experiment was completely staged.

Except none of the major newspapers or web media companies have bothered to report this - unsurprisingly.

They have left the fraudulent video articles on their web sites with absolutely no indication that it has now been shown to be a fraud.

Yet another attempt to smear men and deny violence against men in the uk Independent today. Another set-up video of arguments in a lift being ignored, wisely, by passers by ....... and it's all men's fault.

The Independent is now following the Guardian in including a daily dose of hate writing against men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

How many of the major newspapers or web media companies have bothered to report about the original experiment? I only saw it here. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I wouldn't be so quick to claim the major newspapers not reporting on the deception is an attempt to smear. Some maybe, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a concerted effort or anything conscious for the most part. The video is old news already as far as they're concerned, and from their point of view they might consider it a struggle to get further mileage from what they see as "old rope" unfortunately.

Doesn't make it right, but I've rarely seen a media article that is a retraction of something they said before, unless they're taken to task legally over the matter (or perceive themselves as being at great risk of same)

reprazant wrote: »
    How many of the major newspapers or web media companies have bothered to report about the original experiment? I only saw it here. :confused:

All of the big UK dailies.

Lemming wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so quick to claim the major newspapers not reporting on the deception is an attempt to smear. Some maybe, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a concerted effort or anything conscious for the most part. The video is old news already as far as they're concerned, and from their point of view they might consider it a struggle to get further mileage from what they see as "old rope" unfortunately.

Doesn't make it right, but I've rarely seen a media article that is a retraction of something they said before, unless they're taken to task legally over the matter (or perceive themselves as being at great risk of same)

I suggest that this is an amazingly naive view point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    Lemming wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so quick to claim the major newspapers not reporting on the deception is an attempt to smear.

People have a perspective and they are quick to push things that support it. Less quick to support stuff that disagrees with it. If one is the truth and the other is a lie they don't seem to bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I really didn't think I'd heard or experienced sexism in the workplace until I started reading all the misogyny related posts in recent months and the complete feminist troll response to the shirt a scientist wore. Now I realise they, the radical feminists, have set the bar so low as to what is unacceptable, I'm an oppressed man and unbeknownst to me, I am getting downtrodden everyday with sexism.

I work in an area where men are outnumbered 10 to 1, I have done for nearly 20 years. Currently we have no male changing room on my floor but do have a female changing room (I don't care, but I'm informed by recent opinions I should care, a lot). Countless times I've heard the women at work discuss the appearance of male colleagues, and what they would like to do with them (I thought this was just human beings chatting with one another) apparently this is objectification. I am expected to help out with heavy lifting (I think this is OK because we are all in it together) based purely on my sex. I'm expected to take on the heavier workload if a colleague is pregnant, but a female colleague would not be(reasonable people would think that's acceptable), we are both employed to do the same job, paid the same so in some weird world perhaps this isn't fair to me as a man. Not a single manager is male, clearly a case needs to be made for positive discrimination.

So, in summary, either a considerable number of things these days considered sexism or worse, misogyny, are in fact, b*llocks, or I'm being terribly oppressed and experiencing terrible sexism and misandry on a daily basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Leopardhyena

I really didn't think I'd heard or experienced sexism in the workplace until I started reading all the misogyny related posts in recent months and the complete feminist troll response to the shirt a scientist wore. Now I realise they, the radical feminists, have set the bar so low as to what is unacceptable, I'm an oppressed man and unbeknownst to me, I am getting downtrodden everyday with misandry.

I work in an area where men are outnumbered 10 to 1, I have done for nearly 20 years. Currently we have no male changing room on my floor but do have a female changing room (I don't care, but I'm informed by recent opinions I should care, a lot). Countless times I've heard the women at work discuss the appearance of male colleagues, and what they would like to do with them (I thought this was just human beings chatting with one another) apparently this is objectification. I am expected to help out with heavy lifting (I think this is OK because we are all in it together) based purely on my sex. I'm expected to take on the heavier workload if a colleague is pregnant, but a female colleague would not be(reasonable people would think that's acceptable), we are both employed to do the same job, paid the same so in some weird world perhaps this isn't fair to me as a man. Not a single manager is male, clearly a case needs to be made for positive discrimination.

So, in summary, either a considerable number of things these days considered sexism or worse, misogyny, are in fact, b*llocks, or I'm being terribly oppressed and experiencing terrible sexism and misandry on a daily basis.

What is positive discrimination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

What is positive discrimination?

Affirmative action, which, incidentally I don't think is warranted at my work, just I'm informed by other posts and opinions that perhaps it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Certainly the word misogyny is thrown about far too easily. I often wonder do these people actually know what it means.

I've come across a lot of double standards in the work place when it comes to sexism (or what is being labelled sexism). What is considered sexism for one gender isn't usually considered sexism for the other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement