Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

tritium wrote: »

I think this is evidence of the increased pandering to certain sections of feminists in the media.

Did I read last week that Twitter are working with feminist groups to ban prominent individuals who are critical of feminism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

"The establishment of International Men’s Day suggests an indulgent parent who, aware that one sibling is jealous of another’s birthday, elects to bake a cake for both. All kinds of unconvincing equivalencies are thrown up."-

He's right in most of what he says and he nails it here. The irony is that womens' day should in fact be celebrated by both men and women, and we should be moving towards a society that eventually has no need for a womens' day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

K4t wrote: »
    "The establishment of International Men’s Day suggests an indulgent parent who, aware that one sibling is jealous of another’s birthday, elects to bake a cake for both. All kinds of unconvincing equivalencies are thrown up."-

He's right in most of what he says and he nails it here. The irony is that womens' day should in fact be celebrated by both men and women, and we should be moving towards a society that eventually has no need for a womens' day.
    Sorry, this is absolute bullshit. There is a need for both an international's men day and an international women's day. I agree, we should be moving towards where we don't need a day for either men or women. However, suicide, mental and physical health awareness, father's rights, paternity leave (which helps both men and women by the way) male victims of domestic violence and rape being ignored. There are plenty of reasons for there to be an international men's day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    The Green Party shared a post today regarding their aim to end domestic violence against women. A chap claiming to have suffered from violent abuse at the hands of a woman asked why we can't just campaign to end domestic violence in general only to face a torrent of claims of misogyny and such. I really don't understand why people insist on restricting the focus to just female victims.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The Green Party shared a post today regarding their aim to end domestic violence against women. A chap claiming to have suffered from violent abuse at the hands of a woman asked why we can't just campaign to end domestic violence in general only to face a torrent of claims of misogyny and such. I really don't understand why people insist on restricting the focus to just female victims.

It's f*cktard attitudes like that that make men that have suffered, or are still suffering, from domestic abuse and/or sexual violence all the more hestitant to seek help. The irony in pointing out the level of victim-blaming that guy was apparently subjected to, and the fact that in order to silence him he is subjected to further mental abuse and/or character assassination should not be lost on anyone.

I despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

He's not right in any rational sense of the word ... and then he says:

"any man desperate for a day celebrating his status as a member of the richer, more powerful, more violent gender should be allowed that privilege"

Three disingenuous lies all in on sentence has to be some kind of offensive record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Lemming wrote: »
    It's f*cktard attitudes like that that make men that have suffered, or are still suffering, from domestic abuse and/or sexual violence all the more hestitant to seek help. The irony in pointing out the level of victim-blaming that guy was apparently subjected to, and the fact that in order to silence him he is subjected to further mental abuse and/or character assassination should not be lost on anyone.

I despair.

Regrettably the media and political agenda is comprehensively in the hands of the extreme feminist pressure groups, and the feminised males in power. And those men follow that line because the male population has been so brain washed that they don't even realise they are completely screwed and hence their votes are not at risk.

We have to fight to wake up more men to what is happening all around them and to use their VOTE to change it. These politicians will respond the minute they see votes at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Given the issues (often highlighted here and elsewhere) where men are clearly victims without a voice - domestic violence, mental health, fathers rights etc and given the lack of progress in addressing these , why do you think we don't need a men's day to highlight them. How exactly do you think they'll appear in the public and political consciousness. How exactly do you think male victims will become aware that they're not alone? Granted it will take more than one day a year, but if for one day we can get that message to the top of the pile then we absolutely need that day.

BTW, why do you think men don't celebrate or acknowledge International women's day. Given the coverage and funding it gets from supposedly patriarchial institutions I'd suggest the evidence is very much the opposite.

Absolutely heart-breaking article in The Guardian. This is the reason feminism is toxic.

Victim blaming, etc.
    Let's take this point by point
    Should he of had more sense? Yes. Is that an excuse for accusing anyone of rape? No. We all know underage sex happens a fair bit, and they were both far too young to give consent properly. But all the same he didn't deserve to have anyone accuse him of rape.
    And it has to do with feminism because it has gone out of it's way to point out that the person who is accusing the other of rape is right and that even questioning her is "victim-blaming". It can be seen by the fact that a. she got away with accusing him of rape b. everyone in the school pretty much thought he had raped the girl and c. he was segregated from society on an accusation, not even a conviction.

• Advertisement

More victim blaming, etc.

Seriously, can we have one thread on the whole if this site where someone doesn't want to twist things to pretend men are the problem in any gender issue.

I nominate your nonsense post as the latest example of sexism I've experienced or seen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Disruptive post by Banned User

You're just spouting more of your poison and making pernicious generalisations.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Victim blaming and sexism

Oh let me see. Holding one child to a different standard because he happens to be male. Victim blaming against someone who's life was nearly ruined by a false rape allegation. Placing the full onus of responsibility in any sexual matter on the male...

Victim blaming post deleted
    Yes, they were both drunk. Is that right? No. Should he have known better? Perhaps, but as you said she was drunk, he was drunk. That means any good thoughts he had about her being too young was silly. Again, it was a little over a year between them. Not defending what either of them did, it was silly and naive of them but it happens.
    Yes, feminism has done it. If I accused you of beating me up when you didn't would I get away with it? Fcuk no, I'd be at least warned or even charged with wasting gardai time. The fact that the accused is seen guilty until proven innocent is a recent thing. And I've never heard of anyone who made a false allegation of rape being charged. And what else could they have done? Really? He was a 15 year old lad who probably had no fcuking clue! Treating him like a deranged sex criminal was absolutely appalling! It just re-affirms the point that any male accused of rape is automatically seen as guilty. Which is fcuking ridiculous!

Victim blaming post deleted
    What you are you saying sounds awfully familiar to victim-blaming. You're absolving the person who committed the crime and blaming the person who had his whole teenage (and probably entire life) ruined.

Disruptive victim blaming post deleted

ARE YOU FU*KING SH*TTING US?!!!!!!

She apparently made a false allegation, destroyed his childhood and left him with serious mental baggage and you turn around and say "oh, it's unfair to hold it against her"?!!

Words fail me.

maybe
    post deleted

This is the first time you've countenanced the idea that she might share responsibility.

post deleted

No that's not what you've said. You have laid the blame fairly and squarely on the lad involved by citing age (a whole whopping 1 year and four months btw ...) Bullsh*t. Climb off your white knight horse. It's embarassing.

maybe
    Post deleted

Ahhh.... She made a mistake and he's somehow some kind of predator.

Post deleted

No, I will not "cool the jets". So take your condescending "all men are rapists" attitudes that you h ave espoused on this forums contempary and seriously get a clue on life.

You have repeatedly spouted bile, bullsh*t, and incendiary sh*te whilst claiming to have "proven" points. You've proved nothing other than just how much mysandrist crap that you can write. "White knights" like you infuriate me with the crap you mindlessly pedal whilst being unable to take a look in the mirror.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    tritium wrote: »
    Seriously, can we have one thread on the whole if this site where someone doesn't want to twist things to pretend men are the problem in any gender issue.
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    What you are you saying sounds awfully familiar to victim-blaming. You're absolving the person who committed the crime and blaming the person who had his whole teenage (and probably entire life) ruined.
    Hey guys, didn't you get the memo? According to some who count themselves "feminists", especially among the loudest voices, a few points are pretty clear and abundantly clear from the comments of Don Kedick;

1) It is always men's fault and responsibility for all the ills of the world. They cover it with the word "patriarchy", but it's clear enough. Patriarchy usually equates to "every man(or woman) who doesn't agree with our extreme leftist nonsense".

2) Women are always victims and have little or no responsibility, free of personal agency and requiring the oversight of and appeal to culture/politics/society to keep them safe. Among that section of modern "feminism" the sexism, both misandry and misogyny is quite mind boggling and a near definition of irony, a concept this group seems to have a hard time understanding on a few levels.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Post deleted

He made a stupid decision. She made a life-destroying accusation. The two are not even remotely comparable. The fact that you cannot see the difference shows just how shot your moral compass is and just how indoctrinated you are and unable to think past the wool.

maybe
    post deleted

A stupid decision? Is that what you call the destruction of someone's life. That poor chap will have to contend with smoke and fire comments for the rest of his days. But yeah, poor decision...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

post deleted
    They were one year and four months apart. On average that is more likely to be one year difference in school e.g. 3rd and 2nd year; 2nd and 1st year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Oh and Don Kedick, word to the wise, you've already gotten a ban from tLL for trolling and I'm sniffing it here* . Do not expect to bring that guff to this forum, I will nuke you from orbit if I sniff any more of it.

*though I've bumped into enough with similar attitudes to believe you believe it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

maybe
    iptba wrote: »
    They were one year and four months apart. On average that is more likely to be one year difference in school e.g. 3rd and 2nd year; 2nd and 1st year.

There are elements of the feminist movement who've no qualms with modifying numbers and stats to suit their agendas. We probably shouldn't be surprised.

maybe
    post deleted

It's called discussion and Wibbs is spot on with his assessment.

maybe
    post deleted

Please tell me you're not serious. I've read what you posted in that TLL thread and then you've the gall to spew the same bile here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note
    Don Kedrick, do not post in this thread again

• Advertisement

maybe
    Lemming, take a deep breath and back away for a while.
    Don Kedick wrote: »
    A lot of you have issues that need sorting.

For this and other trolly posts you get to take the week off. Post in this manner again in this forum and you'll be getting a permanent ban for trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

in that article did he ever stop once to think she could have been manipulated by those adults he saw "comforting" her? she probably woke up confused, sore, bleeding and a panicked 13 year old girl was led along by an adult to believe it was rape? no, instead he now mistrusts all women. if i said i mistrust all men because of the actions of one man to me id be told im wrong.

PucaMama wrote: »
    in that article did he ever stop once to think she could have been manipulated by those adults he saw "comforting" her? she probably woke up confused, sore, bleeding and a panicked 13 year old girl was led along by an adult to believe it was rape? no, instead he now mistrusts all women. if i said i mistrust all men because of the actions of one man to me id be told im wrong.
    I don't want to misjudge anything here, so I'm going to be very careful with what I am going to say. If you were ever attacked by a man (either physically or sexually) you have ever right to have massive trust issues with men. It is very difficult to trust again after having an extremely traumatic experience and what he went through is a very traumatic experience. It takes a lot of work, a lot of building to get that trust back. No-one should ever say what you can't and can feel.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I don't want to misjudge anything here, so I'm going to be very careful with what I am going to say. If you were ever attacked by a man (either physically or sexually) you have ever right to have massive trust issues with men. It is very difficult to trust again after having an extremely traumatic experience and what he went through is a very traumatic experience. It takes a lot of work, a lot of building to get that trust back. No-one should ever say what you can't and can feel.

well i have, but i would not and will never ever blame another man or mistreat him because of it

PucaMama wrote: »
    well i have, but i would not and will never ever blame another man or mistreat him because of it
    Sorry to hear that, but that's your pejorative. I'm quite happy for you that you can trust men again. He wasn't blaming all women for it, he just has trust issues. Big difference between blaming them and mist-trusting them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is a psychological response to a traumatic experience. Noone is saying all women are to blame. His trust issues are something that need the help of a counsellor.
    It should be noted that Irish law mirrors some of the more extreme comments on this story in that the boy is always to blame although the new act seems to address issues like this from the statutory side at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Nissan ad on the radio at the moment implies joking about prison rape of a man.
    It's about some guy who is trying to woo a woman called Susan and ends up, via a mistake, in prison, sharing with a man who "coincidentally calls him Susan now".
    I'm not easily offended but I couldn't believe when I heard that ad!

maybe
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is a psychological response to a traumatic experience. Noone is saying all women are to blame. His trust issues are something that need the help of a counsellor.
    It should be noted that Irish law mirrors some of the more extreme comments on this story in that the boy is always to blame although the new act seems to address issues like this from the statutory side at least.

Yeah. I've been friendly with a few women who've had to grow up under abusive fathers and they both thought very little of men as a whole and always thought the worst.

Yeah. I've been friendly with a few women who've had to grow up under abusive fathers and they both thought very little of men as a whole and always thought the worst.

well, i do find men getting a bit angry at things really makes me anxious. its like the brain just shuts down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nissan ad on the radio at the moment implies joking about prison rape of a man.
    It's about some guy who is trying to woo a woman called Susan and ends up, via a mistake, in prison, sharing with a man who "coincidentally calls him Susan now".
    I'm not easily offended but I couldn't believe when I heard that ad!

I noticed that advert also, reverse the sexes and there would be uproar.

I noticed that advert also, reverse the sexes and there would be uproar.

Ha I just left a message on Nissans facebook page asking if they think the rape of children is as funny as the rape of innocent men. Embarrassing them is the best strategy in these cases. I estimate my comment will last about 10 minutes before they delete it

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

Ha I just left a message on Nissans facebook page asking if they think the rape of children is as funny as the rape of innocent men. Embarrassing them is the best strategy in these cases. I estimate my comment will last about 10 minutes before they delete it
    Still there...

Seriously? wrote: »
    Still there...
    No response though. Time to up my trolling a little

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Some quality entertainment to be found through some of the related videos, haha what is wrong with these people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

No response though. Time to up my trolling a little
    It's not the fault of the people who monitor their Facebook in fairness - what do you want them to say? They can't exactly badmouth their employer. Best to fill out an ASAI complaint form.

Nissan Ireland don't appear to respond to posts to their wall anyway.

Pre celtic tiger, a young Bizmuth was broke and unemployed. The local FAS office started advertising summer jobs in Germany. No offence to anyone doing these things themselves, but I guess most folks would describe said jobs as "menial". They didn't require you to even speak a word of German for many positions, and involved things like cleaning hotel rooms. In fact I think all the jobs were catering/hospitality industry related.

Short term, low pay, 100% no chance of a long term future, but hey, I was 21 and sick to death of sitting around on my hole doing nothing. I just wanted a job, any job would do, and you have to remember that in those days (twee as it sounds now) the idea of taking off for a summer in Germany sounded like quite the adventure for a young guy. So I applied. And let me say the application form required a passport size photo so there's absolutely no way anyone would ever think I'm not male.

Interviews were to be held in FAS HQ in Dublin, not where I lived, so again to put this in the context of the times this was actually an enormous personal expense to someone on the dole. Transport to Dublin, a bite to eat, taxi to the interview, and transport back home again in the evening, all took a big slice of your money back then, so it wasn't as easy as it is now. But you know, I didn't mind, all I wanted was a fair hearing, and if I didn't get hired then so be it, at least I tried.

Got to the interview then, and can you imagine my absolute horror when the (Irish) hiring officer's opening remark to me was "sorry, we were really only looking for women here". The interview ended abruptly more or less admitting he needed to go through the motions and make things official that he asked X Y Z questions. But he made it perfectly clear throughout - you ain't getting the job mate because you're a man.

I was fit to explode right there and then but what could I do? What ever small chance you have you can't sabotage it either. But it still bothers me to this day that this was (is) an Irish government employment agency, funded by Irish tax payers, charged with helping unemployed Irish find jobs. My interview with them started with me being informed I wasn't getting hired due to me being a man, and ended five minutes later with general chit-chat on the weather to allow the interviewer keep to his schedule.

I suppose there's lots of things I could have done to complain about this or be compensated, but sure who knows these things at that age. German beer and birds was all I could think of aged 20/21, no idea what I could do to complain even if it would have made a difference, but I genuinely wanted the job so felt a bit scammed/ripped off about the experience. The most damaging thing of course was that defeated feeling of "don't even bother, just stay in bed, it's not worth even trying" that the experience might leave on inexperienced younger men who don't know any better.

It's not the fault of the people who monitor their Facebook in fairness - what do you want them to say? They can't exactly badmouth their employer. Best to fill out an ASAI complaint form.

Nissan Ireland don't appear to respond to posts to their wall anyway.

It is their way to communicate with the public. I don't understand why that shouldn't work both ways. Who they choose to represent their public image is the choice of Nissan themselves and is not my problem.
    I am more hoping it generates debate to be honest rather than hoping for a response. I e-mailed their CEO anyway so am more likely to hear something from him.
    The ASAI don't see sexism that is not against women. I have corresponded with them before and they do very little (plus it is a very non public way to complain about ads).

maybe
    It is their way to communicate with the public. I don't understand why that shouldn't work both ways. Who they choose to represent their public image is the choice of Nissan themselves and is not my problem.
    I am more hoping it generates debate to be honest rather than hoping for a response. I e-mailed their CEO anyway so am more likely to hear something from him.
    The ASAI don't see sexism that is not against women. I have corresponded with them before and they do very little (plus it is a very non public way to complain about ads).

I've been looking for this ad but can't find it. Would you have a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's on Radio Nova quite regularly at the moment. Noticed it myself.

I heard it on Newstalk. I don't have a link though.

The basic premis is a guy tries to impress a girl by learning break dancing but is such a clutz that he ends up falling out a window unfortunately landing on a getaway car where he is caught and imprisoned with a guy who calls him Sue.

It is actually dumber than I make it sound.

• Advertisement
Advertisement